Used Xeon for gaymen and emulation

Hey fags, i wanna upgrade my Phenom II cpu, and everything is expensive af where i live. I was wondering if it's worth it to buy a used xeon, mostly for gaymen and emulation, or if it's better to buy an old i5. Which cpu would you recommend? also, there's not a big used hardware market here, so maybe give me a couple of options in case i don't find one

Attached: 3041951_500x500[1].jpg (500x500, 72K)

I used to be a big fan of used X58 stuff and Sandu Bridge stuff, but the ryzen 2400G performs like a 5GHz FX 8 core and is cheap, so I recommend getting that.

Your choices are X58 or its consumer variant, P55. X58 supports hex core chips, but will be more expensive.

If you can find these boards and chips, and find them really cheap as well, these are the last chips ever made by intel that will allow real bclk overclocking.

Overclocking these chips to at least 3.5ghz is required for anything close to achieving modern performance, lucky for you, these chips generally overclock like crazy, but also draw huge amounts of power to achieve these clocks.

If your a poorfag, hunt down a phenom II x6 black edition instead.

This, a 2600 might be better if you have discrete graphics already.

The "Xeon for vidya" meme has driven prices up on all boards that work with the sticker trick, server boards, and various Z97 stuff that also works, to the point where it's gonna be exactly the same price-wise as mid-end AMD hardware

I was gonna build a hexacore xeon out of used parts, but the boards were so pricey, I ended up getting a 990FX board with 16GB and an 8 core for $350, It's insane how expensive a used board is, we're only getting to the point where 775 boards are cheap now, and that shit's over a decade old.

It's only gonna get worse, my fucky Z97-A board is now $200 used, I paid $80 for it on Newegg, and you can blame DDR4 prices for pushing people towards Haslel again

>tfw my new in box 990FXA-UD3 is worth over $200 according to ebay cocksuckers

Attached: IMG_0248.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

>He doesn't want a $450 combo from the fucking carpet

Attached: Untitled.png (1143x633, 419K)

Ryzen has made old server parts obsolete. Unless you want to save up on RAM by getting DDR3, brand new Ryzen CPUs will always outperform used Xeons (both gaming and productivity) on the same price while also having warranty. Ryzen also supports ECC just like Xeons.
All of what I said is null if you manage to find a local cheap ass Xeon+motherboard. Check if the Xeon has decent clock speeds.
These should be your priorities:
>Brand new Ryzen build
>Used Xeon/i7 from Sandy Bridge generation and above build
>Brand new FX build
>Used FX build
>Used pre Sandy Bridge Xeon build
>meme tier: Used Opteron build

If you can get a cheap x58 board you're golden, but it has to be a good one to make good use of the 6 core xeons.

Ryzen has made X99 obsolete, and that was a beast back in 2014.

desu i still love the old intel HEDT platforms, still very viable honestly.

t. bousting from my x79 RIVF and 3930k pc

I'm the same way, I'd rather have an HEDT or even my 990FX board over a new B350 board that lacks IO and other features.

Xeon's usually have lower clock speeds and more cores. That's not what you want for gaming. You want higher clocks and more IPC.

>phenom II x6 black edition
don't do this, it's too slow for ps2 emulation

I also have x370 with a 2700x, an x99 with 5820k and x58 with a 5675 that does 4.7ghz. All very nice platforms, and they make no difference for me. But i really only shitpost and play gaymes once in a while.

What is the go-to console iso website these days anyway? Sad thing that emuparadise or whatever was shut down.

what the fuck, I sold my 1055T&16GB system for 100€ incl. cooler and 8800GT

Nice platform choices, family.

X58 and emulation is iffy, it's good enough for Dolphin and PCSX2 but will stutter in more demanding games like F-Zero GX and will have a hard time in RPCS3 and Cemu and isn't supported at all in Xenia. Gaming is alright on it but it's missing some instruction sets like AVX and FMA3.

archive.org has it all, search for redump

lol very nice

You're just not a cocksucker user, and I don't understand why people try to sell boards and cards for insane prices when it's not gonna sell. I remember selling my MSI 990FXA gaming board during the mining craze of early '18 for $100 and it sold within a few hours because the prices were so inflated.

Attached: 2017-09-26-496.jpg (4000x3000, 2.21M)

Thanks famalam

>I don't understand why people try to sell boards and cards for insane prices when it's not gonna sell.
People are cunts. They would rather throw away something instead of selling for cheap. See pic related: a rig that should cost around 700$ (single parts on eBay).

Attached: Screenshot_20181227-054659.jpg (768x296, 165K)

Just get a 2700x u moron