When did this shit start to call programs "apps"? I refuse to say "apps" because its fucking gay

When did this shit start to call programs "apps"? I refuse to say "apps" because its fucking gay.
Use programs of fuck off.

Attached: 1545837741591.jpg (716x537, 82K)

Fewer syllables, no one wants to say applications.

app = mobile application
program = desktop application

Attached: 1539324694046.jpg (361x426, 32K)

>an app

Attached: zoomer.jpg (451x450, 33K)

Because program is too generic. Is it a web server? A full fledged back end? A front end script? A desktop program? A console program? A mobile program?
App is a small application that does generally only just one thing and is targeted at mobile and touch devices. I wouldn’t call photoshop an app unless I were talking about a mobile version of the software (if there’s one which I don’t know)

Apps is more accurate

All apps are programmes but not all programmes are apps

apps can run programs

an application is an end user program, you fucking mongo. if it has a gui that is designed for retards to use, it is an APP (and a program).

a program can be some back end daemon that does something. that is NOT an application.

All words are just made up by stupid humans, like OP is Cuntflam now, maybe I just made that up.

I prefer to call them x64 compatible compiled ELF binaries when using GNU/Linux.

App is short for application, and almost always refers to end-user consumer software, especially on mobile. If you refer to apps on your phone as "programs" in casual conversation, you're an autist.

Hey pleb, them shits are called binaries. When did people start calling them program. Damb ur dumn.

I unironically read papers from the mid 60s using the term "app" for application, a.k.a. computer program.

Both terms are equivalent and acceptable on most cases.

What did he mean by this

Attached: apps.jpg (460x343, 41K)

The abbreviation caters to the zoomers sub-human intellect

yeah but you know for a fact everything is being called an app. despite them being huge programs with many features

like everything bad, it's because of phoneniggers

this

Something in British I don't know.

>programs
You mean applications software?

Whenever the iphone came out.

An application (app) is just a collection of programs that accomplish or assist with a task.

this
I've also caught myself saying executable or exe even when it's not

Technically the correct term is "image file".
>reeee muh apps
Yeah? Well, "reeeee my programs".

>I wouldn’t call photoshop an app

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-27 at 12.30.44.png (238x264, 17K)

kids use the word "app" because of apple

Attached: 1543887015541.png (817x789, 856K)

>When did this shit start to call programs "apps"?
The '80s. Ever heard of the term "killer app"?

There's a 2001 Apple keynote with Steve Jobs already referring to software as App

back in my day, apps were really appz and synonymous with warez, which really meant you downloaded a colorfader/spambot/roomfiller for AOL chatrooms that some kid with barely any programming knowledge carefully crafted in visual basic, with much of the development time going into deciding which MIDI to include in the windows form

Attached: 1542076479362.jpg (680x734, 101K)

Just call it an application then autist.

They were called Progz as well, I think Warez was more for early pirated retail software.

Pic related. I think Techno Terror or some other autistic garbo was my bag back in the day.

Attached: wfnnr2ijvrcy.jpg (454x345, 41K)

When and why did people start calling programs "application"?

sun/oracle called programs "App" (Applet) before it was cool

This is the only good answer guys