/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X or i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1050 3GB (bad value), RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jsbLxG
pcpartpicker.com/guide/DGzKHx/great-intel-gaming-build
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GtJnq4
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125962?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566
tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
rufus.ie/
pcpartpicker.com/list/MZ4sfH
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=528
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

birst xDDDDD

Attached: 44621118fc6f1729b9bdb2ebdad28181.jpg (540x960, 51K)

wtf is IPSG? Some chink ram company?

Just ordered a 1tb 860 Evo for 130. I don't look forward to the reinstall of Windows though

Come now, it's worth it. Where did you get it for $130? It's at $147 everywhere.

There was a 5% off coupon on Amazon and I also had gotten a $15 dollar credit on my Amazon account from using the app

>starts at 3750
>ends at 1233
I mean, feel free to explain the preformance loss yourself.

Please respond.

Yes, if you're passing through a pcie device to a virtual OS, the host OS won't touch the drivers or anything, you can use an iGPU and dGPU, or two dGPUs.

When I clicked stress test it jumped to ~3360, hovered there for 10 seconds and started going up to 3400, then it fell to 3390 and again up to 3450 and basically this went on for 10 minutes after which it reset to 0 and went up normally until I stopped stress testing.

A RTX 2070 costs €600 and a 2080 cost €970. Does the increase in performance from a 2080 justify the costs?

Attached: 1536384087604.jpg (778x618, 144K)

ok, did a little trimming and got it down to ~$180 which should fit into my budget, again I already have the PSU and optical drive
also would this be sufficient to play hearts of iron 4 and war thunder (lower settings are ok) without it being slow as fuck and pissing me off? or just even start it in the first place?
again, I feel I should note that I am also poverty tier poor and this is only so that I can distract myself from my existential suffering

Attached: d0e269a303ad99e7a04efdbed2490f888200521337264cef63457ae8fdf94b52.jpg (793x786, 54K)

it would probably help to add the link
pcpartpicker.com/list/jsbLxG

It's not even 30% faster. Get the 2070

I own a 980 TI. Is it worth upgrading to a 2080? I have a 144hz monitor and would like higher framerates in muh games

Ive never played warthunder on low before, do you have a gpu that will go with this that you have?

Can't say about war thunder, but HOI4 is extremely CPU and single thread intensive. This is just the nature of grand strategy games, things are done sequentially. To the point where any 4c+ 5ghz skylake will perform nearly the same.

Start HOI4? yes. You can load into 1936. But you need to end WWII before 1939. The more people are dead, the less laggy your game will be.

Also consider going for that MSI mobo that will allow you to overclock the athlon.

There's no way another RX 570/580 DMC5 and RE2 deal would happen for boxing week right? I fucked up and didn't buy one during the deal.
Use Clonezilla or some other HDD imaging software and Sysprep.

Neither is worth those costs. the 2070 is slower than the 400 euro Vega 64 in some cases.

just buy a used 970, boi

we all know you aren't actually going to play any games

I just ordered this (more or less) pcpartpicker.com/guide/DGzKHx/great-intel-gaming-build
Was this a brainlet move on my part? I don't think I could've managed to make my own list, anyway

1050ti 4gb are $170 right now, is this a good price? I only want to spend around 200 on an upgrade to my 650

Attached: 1538482267293.jpg (302x371, 72K)

#
Probably the best you can get but a little over budget
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GtJnq4

Rx570 is pretty much the same price and a lot better

Actually screw that, this will fit your budget perfectly, don’t nvidijew yourself
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125962?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

What's a good rig setup for CS:GO?
Also, I heard building a PC is like legos, is that true?

I got a 1060 for that price and it kinda sucks desu

Depends on your budget, something like a ryzen 3 or pentium g5400 for the cpu, and anything like an rx560 or gtx1050 would get you up there at 150fps
To answer your lego question; sort of, if everything goes right. Sometimes it doesnt and it becomes a pain in the ass, like forgetting something as simple as the io plate or realizing that one of your parts was dead on arrival.

Except I'm using a 970 right now and in some games I'm getting 50fps. I need a new graphics card.

First time builder here. What the fuck do I do with all these power cables? Do I just plug them all in to the matching PSU slot?

Only the ones you need

That is a bad build.
Enjoy.

Should I return the i7-9700K I bought and wait for Ryzen? Will Ryzen even be that much better?

return before your house catches alight

>Just chilling at my PC tonight
>Hear a loud-ass pop and then my PC shuts off
>Won't turn back on
Please tell me it's my PSU. I don't have any testing equipment on hand, would a PSU be able to power a disc drive without having it connected to a motherboard? Am I retarded for trying to test it this way?

Attached: 1507956895144.jpg (1023x540, 116K)

Rip motherboard

Fellow 980ti owner here
I oc mine pretty high and prob won't upgrade unless i go to 1440 144hz or something
I also used an adaptor to mount a cpu aio to it and it stays around 55-60 C under load at around 1400mhz i think. 980ti is a gem.

How would I know it's the motherboard? None of it seems to be working, at all. PSU included. I tried to test it by connecting a Blu-Ray drive I never got around to installing, hoping if the PSU worked, it would let me hit the eject button. Nothing happened. I don't know if PSUs can be tested this way, though.

Is heavy frameskipping (I don't mean tearing, that's norma behavior) when playing games with really high, absurd framerates (like 200-300 or even higher FPS, just not stable) caused by the monitor being limited by its refresh rate or am I missing something?

I noticed that with a new GPU I bought I can play CS:GO at a really high framerate but the moment I put that thing in exclusive fullscreen it's an absolute mess. I keep seeing numbers over 200FPS but it looks absolutely choppy. Enabling vsync sort of fixes that but even with the framerate limited at 60 ingame (which it helps just a little) the input lag is still there.

AMD claims their Enhanced Sync feature solves both tearing and input lag but it skips even more to the point it's just unplayable. Weird enough, fullscreen windowed the game seems to be slightly more stable, doesn't tear and doesn't have much input lag at all, but it's only smooth when it reaches framerates over something like 120FPS for some reason. Any drops from that will fuck it up and limiting the framerates to something lower is worse.

I know that all these games benefit heavily from displays with higher refresh rates or shit like freesync, but I expected that even with heavy tearing I would be able to play "smoothly". Any clues?

Do I pick up a Ryzen 2600 for $154, or do I wait until 3000 series is revealed?

Can any of you cool lads point me out a good guide to teach me how to make a bootable Windows 10 USB stick for installation correctly?

Download your Windows ISO of choice from tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Download Rufus and use it to make a bootable USB with the downloaded ISO
rufus.ie/

Spam Delete/F12/F8/whatever key your computer uses to boot into bios, boot from the USB. Everything after that is self-explanatory.

Just turn the damn settings up, no need for such absurd fps. Weird things happen up there, minecraft @ 1000fps gives me insane coil whine

I guess bootable USD isn't the correct term. I don't want to install W10 on the flash drive, I want to be able to use it to install W10 on the PC I'll be building.

How's this looking? It's for developing with unreal engine 4. And playing games too of course

That's exactly what he told you how to do.

Switch the 2070 for a vega64

Oh, alright. Thanks.

Not poster, but what makes it bad? Just trying to learn

This is an old fashioned way of doing it. You could just go to the website itself microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

where the official windows installer will download and create a bootable disk for you in the same application.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, by default when extracting the ISO to a USB drive, it functions as a Windows installer. There is an option called "Windows To Go" that does install Windows to the USB and boot the operating system from it. So make sure that option isn't enabled in Rufus.

The only good thing about it is the case

Will I be stuck with a "please activate your windows" message permanently on my bottom right corner if I do that, though?

Posted wrong link

What is the strength of a vega over this card?

The official installation tool is prone to messing up in my experience, where it'll fail part way through downloading the ISO and then just deletes the data it already downloaded. The aforementioned method is just a lot more consistent and you have control over which version of Windows you're installing.

Fuckin phone

If you don't have an activated windows, yes you will. Just the same regardless of where you download it. You can purchase a key for pirate it. Your choice.

The motherboard already comes with a wireless/bluetooth adapter and networking, make sure you actually need the extras.

last gen processor, failgate harddrive, zotac 2070, corsair psu aka motherboard killer, b360 chipset

1070*

Thank you

Thank you for pointing that out lol, I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing

What would be the optimum motherboard for $300 cad or under?

Check benchmarks

Not really, unless you're at 1440p. Turn down your settings

'no'
The rare case doesn't matter unless that's the only game you play, now gtfo

It's fine, but the i5 8400 isn't recommended for various reasons. Only get a 1070Ti if you have a 144Hz monitor

No, an RX 570 is the same price for a lot more performance. The only point of the 1050Ti right now is if you need the most power graphics card that only needs power from mobo

Main power connections are:
>Main mobo power
>CPU
>Graphics card
>Power, reset, indicator LEDs

In my opinion the i7 8700K is better, but no Ryzen CPU will be able to match the recent i7s in terms of theoretical framerate. Whether they're worth the cost and drawbacks is another matter

You can do the paper clip test on the PSU

I've had similar problems. In my experience VSYNC was the problem

Wait

>What is the strength of a vega over this card?
The 2070 is more powerful than Vega64

Thank you

Amazon seems to have flash sales on Ryzen 2600, but they're over so quick.
PCpartpicker shows it as AUD$211.50, so I follow the link and it's already back to AUD$245.50

Can this setup last for 10 years? There won't be any gaming involved, just programming + big data.

Attached: x.png (1920x1080, 2.82M)

I don’t see why it wouldn’t, first gen i7s are still going strong

Has microsoft ever done anything right?
Windows me
Xbox 360 rrod
Windows vista
Windows 10
Windows phones
Spyware

Pretty much everything is bad on that build.
It's all suboptimal and/or overpriced choices. You can get a better build for cheaper.

my build is similar to yours but costs 2k (1.4k usd) here in aus wtf

it probably would've been cheaper to pay some shitcunts here to mail he components to me

>buy new motherboard so I can use the ryzen chipset
>assume all the current components I have will transfer over
>forgot to check RAM compatibility
I fucked up guys.

I have a GA-AX370 Gaming K5. Is this list correct in listing what RAM kits are compatible? amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf

Just need a RAM kit ASAP now.

Gigabyte boards have poor memory compatibility in general, don't they? Or did they fix that in newer BIOS?

Anyway, your RAM should be relatively fine and it not worth buying new RAM. You just may need to clock/OC it manually.

No I mean it literally doesn't fit into the slot. I have a CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R on me right now. Not getting around buying new RAM.

It's been awhile since I've upgraded.

Kek ddr3 doesn’t fit on a ddr4 board

but what are you going to DO about it?

Okay, I went and did the paperclip test on my PSU. Used an all metal clip, I think it was aluminium. Mentioning that in case I'm retarded and it was no good for testing. PSU seems to be dead, though.

It was a Corsair CS750M. It was thundering out tonight, I suspect some kind of power surge killed it. Should I go for another brand, though? Gonna go to Microcenter tomorrow to find a replacement.

Attached: 1508876669886.png (501x622, 384K)

Is an athlon 200ge good for programming?

>corsair psu
found your problem

I had no problems with my old i3 2100, an athlon would be a great choice

Do they have a bad reputation? I wouldn't know, this was the first PC I'd ever built. What should I buy, instead?

lmao

if you're doing big compiles... no. Compiling will be slow.
For browser shit and just basic shit? Yeah it's fine.

They don’t manufacture those psus themselves, it could be a shit tier quality supplier- they just stick their logo on it. The cs750m uses cheap capacitors and are prone to failure

I see. Lesson learned, I guess. I'll never buy another Corsair branded PSU again. EVGA any good?

wew
This is why I can't be trusted with anything remotely complex

My R7 260X gives me a BSOD when I install the drivers on W10 and refuses to work in the main PCIE port, have to plug into the second port.
I use the Dolphin emulator on Ubuntu and runs just fine. Is it dying??

I thought 80plus gold was all that mattered.

That’s only a measure for efficiency, not quality. Whilst they may correlate (better components having better efficiencies), the manufacturer may have just cheaped out elsewhere.
let me put it this way, 80+ gold does not mean quality.

Evga is alright, just make sure you check who manufactures the psu since they get theirs from a handful of companies. Their supernova psus are good but i can’t remember who manufactures them.

>i9 in the OP
KYS

Attached: 9900k has worse overclocking than ryzen.png (1327x1222, 69K)

When in doubt, just go with Seasonic.

I wouldn't even know how to find out that kind of info.

They're good, I take it?

seasonic is bretty gud

p
>GTX 1050 3GB
>instead of 1060
Who made this shit OP?

>Only Seasonic PSU listed for my local microcenter is $200
Out of my price range, sadly.

Attached: 1445484495404.gif (500x381, 377K)

Research has led me to believe that corsair AX units are seasonic rebrands

Woohoo I found 16gb of ram for less than $150($145 lol) for the first time in years.

$150 at my Microcenter. And it's refurbished. I'm on a bit of a budget here, didn't have any kind of Christmas let alone the money for computer parts suddenly shitting themselves after just a year.

I might as well straight up ask, what's a good PSU at the $100 mark?

Attached: 1453483033372.jpg (251x231, 11K)

>CoRsAiR iS bAd
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=528

Attached: 1518449698366.png (800x800, 76K)

corsair is fine as long as it's tx version and above, hell even cx are fine. Don't listen to the shitters itt.

>a lot of people post about their psu dying which just happens to be corsair most of the time
>JUST A COINCIDENCE GOY BUY BUY BUY
Kill yourselves.