Why are you using a fragmenting file system, Jow Forums?

Why are you using a fragmenting file system, Jow Forums?

Attached: Windows 98 in a nutshell.gif (368x142, 3K)

Why are you such a faggot, OP?

Why is ext free of fragmenting?
Someone illuminate this brainlet

It isn't.

I use ZFS because it's awesome. The ARC will mitigate any impact of fragmentation.

Asking the real questions

It's not totally immune to fragmenting but its very resistant to it. Variants of the Extended Filesystem try to preallocate space so related things are always together. As the drive gets more full it becomes impossible to keep things together so it starts to fragment somewhat.

Is anyone even still using old file systems with fragmentation problems for primary storage? I understand HFS+ is long in the tooth but it's already on its way out, and FAT32 is pretty much reserved for USB thumb drives now

Compared to FAT32, ext4 is smarter about trying to preallocate free "reserved" blocks near the existing blocks in a file so that the file doesn't fragment as soon as it starts growing

Doesn't it being fragmented not affect SSD? I dunno I've never had a SSD.

>Compared to FAT32
how about compare it to NTFS?

SSDs are still affected by random reads somewhat but they're a lot better at dealing with them than hard disks are so fragmenting is less of a concern and defragmenting uses a lot of disk writes which lessens the life of the disk.

Not enough benefits to make it worthwhile on SSDs.

ext4 still has a slight edge over NTFS when it comes to fragmentation and can handle large extents better, it's not night and day like it is when comparing either of them to FAT32 though

>Why are you using a fragmenting file system, Jow Forums?

Because all of them do, they can't exist without it to varying degrees. Yes some of them are better at lessening the effect, but it is impossible to have a file storage and retrieval system that cannot fragment.

Surely even the stupidest idiots amongst you can see the truth in this simple fact of life, yes?

>using winshit
>using ntfs
>using fat
get off fucking Jow Forums if you said yes to any

I don't think anyone is denying that a fragmentation-free file system is impossible short of a premade read-only disk image, OP's just being hyperbolic as usual since that's what gets replies

>Telling the majority to leave
How about no, faggot?

Ultimate Defrag makes a big difference for HDDs, once you work out how to use it.

yes, leave, you piece of shit. You don't belong here and you don't fit in.

The weakest fucking bait ever. newfag.

>winfag calls someone newfag because he doesn't belong here
sad..

because it works

>using fat
You literally cannot have pc without fat32 partition.

This! Could explain to us what his grub partition uses?

you have to go back

>he uses uefi instead of coreboot
you have to go back

retard

Why do e4defrag and defragfs exist then, mongoloid?

retard normies

SSD

/thread

fp - as always - bp.

Just hurry up and fucking die you worthless piece of dog shit.

hfs partitions, so I don't need to.

GRUB is installed to the MBR, not a FAT partition.

>still using MBR like it's 1983
I suppose you want me to get off your lawn too, now?

Attached: 1522708192807.jpg (674x674, 102K)

there's nothing wrong with MBR

because btrfs is great

Aren't the ZFS modules for Linux still shit?

>windumb kid is angry

Not like I have any other choice in Windows. The fuck am I gonna do install Win Server just to setup ReFS? No thanks. I run Btrfs on my server and computer is just for gaymen and shitposting