/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:.

Attached: 1502697982716.gif (184x84, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
amazon.com/Linux-Command-Line-Complete-Introduction-dp-1593273894/dp/1593273894/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Window users are awful. Keep sucking the devil dicks.

Defend this linuxfags. And you still have no video games to play.

Attached: 1529760745053.png (573x475, 58K)

man who the fuck cares? linux is fucking garbage that is just owned my M$ anyways and bends backwards for monkey-loving jews

Attached: 97832978419126309748.png (1280x688, 857K)

Don't forget linux has no video games

Same fags. Fuck off.

Defend this

Attached: no.png (565x552, 64K)

This.

There's no need to. I'm not beholden to TLF unlike Window users to Microsoft.

?

It's really not that it has no games or anything, it's just that it advertises against itself. It's not a viable alternative to Windows, because the foundation is literally fucking funded by them and controls them. OpenBSD is lighter and is not controlled by ((certain individuals with ulterior motives)). If you like alternative operating systems try OpenBSD or NetBSD or Haiku or even plan9. Not Linux.

>There's no need to. I'm not beholden to TLF unlike Window users to Microsoft.
Yeah call me when you can write your own colonel. The kernel is bloated to fuck and has been for the past couple of years because of awarding shitty programmers. It's an inefficient piece of fucking shit.

Which kernel?

>linux has no video games
nigger I am playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider through Proton at proper performance as we speak, setup involved clicking two butans and jacking to cartoons while it downloaded from Steam, so kys
>imb4 le /v/

I recommend play SOMA, that was an experience.

thanks! matter of fact I just purchased that on Steam and it's coming right up

I just wanted to say that my Ubuntu won't boot
I tried everything, reinstalling kernels from liveCD, etc, everything, and it didn't do anything

Then one day I turn it on and poof, everything works perfectly. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Why do computers do this?

isn't there a anti-FF thread you guys should be in?

Nope. They like to infest other threads and annoy the shit out of everyone. They need to make sure everyone knows about their grievances.

It's free on GOG right now.

Can I modify the source code of a program on arch linux?

You can modify it first and compile it second on any distro.

no. what do you think this is, free software?

I just wondered if there was a convenient way of doing it instead uninstalling it, tracking down the source code and figuring out how to install it manually and keep it updated.

TILING WINDOW MANAGERS ARE EVIL, INSTALL GNOME!

Attached: gnome man.jpg (600x400, 218K)

This user is correct, you can do it everywhere. Since you asked about Arch, both its official repositories and the AUR have descriptions for each package where you can find the dependencies they require and URLs to upstream. Get code and modify. Check wiki about repackaging.

The only options I'm aware of are
1) Do it manually and lose the ability for your package manager to keep it updated.
2) Make your own package, but then you have to still manually keep it updated, but if someone else wants your same changes then they can benefit from you maintaining it.

3) Use Guix or Nix package managers:
You can specify small changes to packages programmatically. "Inherit" the package you want to modify and apply a small patch to the code. Then assuming the patch still works on new versions the package manager will maintain the code changes for you indefinitely.

Will SJW be the downfall of all open source projects?
What do you guys think about Coraline Ada Ehmke?

Attached: 1431118355392.png (1065x902, 1.74M)

gonna leave this here

Attached: 9132ed3d4eaebcfd.jpg (1199x667, 165K)

You know, when a big corporations wants to create havoc in the little guy is not just a direct fight. Spreading FUD against Stallman and shitposting about the CoC were just the beginning.

If you want to side with the CIAniggers who also happen to talk shit about trannies, think again.

Attached: IMG_0080.jpg (974x709, 67K)

Scientists have determined this is what the average linux programmer will look like in 2050, and it's beautiful.

>CIA niggers pushing people to templeOS over linux

Can anyone please help? I’m looking for an extensive tutorial on KLMs and how override a system call and return to that system call after the KLM function is finished.

I'M GOING TO USE

>insert distro you don't like
i don't dislike any though.

God fuck me I can't post

Trying to use pgadmin4 with postresql on Arch, but the database is not showing up. I've set it up so the code below allows me to modify the database, but it's not showing up.
sudo systemctl start postgresql.service
sudo -u postgres -i
psql databasename
I've tried phppgadmin and it was discontinued for new version, so now I've configured pgadmin4, supposedly the most active one, and it is not working. I just want an interface to administrate my database god damn.

maybe the 3rd try you'll get it right

Is there any real difference between the 8750h and 8850h? Hows the thinkpad p1, gogabyte aero-15xv8 and msi gs65 stealth on linux?

>have been walking through the desert for days and you're just about to cross the border to the free land. You're tired, you're hungry, you're thirsty. The guy next to you already gave up, sitting on the street, his kids are crying. But you don't; you grab your balls and move forward. You're so exited, but then it happens: you shit your pants. You feel the warm fluid at your butt. It stinks - and it makes wierd noises; it seems like your shit actually tries to talk to you "user..." the shit whispers and there's a smell that somehow reminds you of Ballmer's sweat, “... copyleft will get you into trouble", "big beefy Azure servers", you fart: "Windows Subsystem for ..." but you don't listen, you don't care. Only 1000 meters left, “I'M NOT YOUR RMACS VIRGIN", 800 meters, "I'm just letting you know that I just bought github because I LOVE OPE...", 600 meters, "HELP; ABORTION JOKES; DROP GLIBC", 500 meters, "Defend this linuxfags. And you still have no video games to play.", 400 meters, "Richard Stallman eating something from his foot [embed]", 250 meters, the border is just in front of you, "IF YOU CROSS THIS BORDER YOU'RE A PED.."

Attached: 1546137452614.jpg (653x490, 95K)

>

You're a faggot gorilla who enjoys watching the drama and nobody feeling good. Shame on you.
Next to this, if you'd really care about what you posted, by posting it, you gave it a voice and you're spreading it. So you're a fag either way.
Faggot.

is steamos more games optimized compared to other distros?

have you tried reading the service file and checking the options it's being run against the manual?
i believe steam itself comes with all the libraries that steamOS has by default to ensure compability. i think it's just a distribution/ease of install thing
graphics driver versions may well be different, so i'd say it's pretty hard to say across the board

What are the correct ffmpeg settings to convert a mp4 to a webm with the same qualify?

Is there a program like diff but for directories? I want to compare directories and only copy new files to backup directories.

rsync

diff, cp, mv

>try a bunch of different desktop environments and check RAM usage
>LXDE leads at under 140MB with full menus and file manager and everything
>lxqt that was supposed to replace it is hungrier and is set up like SHIT by default
>xfce seems neat but is even hungrier and not really worth the bloat
>even bare openbox is heavier
How the fuck?

go back to the minimalism thread

>muh few less megabytes

You have to learn that watching RAM on GNU/Linux isn't the same as on Windows. The systems work differently: GNU/Linux uses as much RAM as possible and frees RAM on demand. If you want to compare RAM usage of specific programs or DEs, simply watching at the current RAM usage won't help you.

What's the best distro?

use wm

the one I use

But I'm a poorfag on a shitpad with 2GB of RAM.

no

What's the WORST AVOID DON'T DO IT distro?

pls commit suicide

I thought this is a friendly thread.

ones no longer maintained maybe?

no bully

did you miss the plz?

arch

Everything below the OS is a pack of lies that the OEMs try to paper over in their Windows drivers. Many companies dislike Linux because ope

Reminder that you still cant force anti-aliasing at the driver level on AMD on Linux

under ~150M the biggest reduction comes from kernel config and maybe tweaking xorg settings

Reddit pls go

How do you guys find gaming performance when using KVM with PCI passthrough for the graphics card?

Linux?

>owned by M$ anyways

They may be a platinum donor for the Linux Foundation, but they can't ever own Linux.

you can still watch RAM usage but you have to look at the resident size instead of the virtual memory size

Wrong board.

Sure that it's /v/ related, but it's also Linux related...

you seem confused

I've still got some reading to do, then. Thank you.

youre in the wrong thread

Leave /out/ alone, dumb redditor.

How do I install Firefox ESR on KDE Neon?

I downloaded the source and now I've got this folder of files I don't know what to do with. Help please.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-12-30 04-49-27.png (814x656, 60K)

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone. While I just recently started using GNU/Linux seriously, I thank anyone who has answered my questions in the past up to this point. You guys have helped me finally feel enjoyment in computing again.

Finally got Devuan to work, this is my first GNU/Linux distro

Attached: Screenshot_20181230_052548.png (1024x732, 112K)

I'm editing my .Xresources and I trying to nail down the correct dpi. I set Xft.dpi: 143 since I have a 1080p display on a 15.4 inches display.
However when I restart X everything in firefox is blown out of proportions (thunar for example is not affected). I comment the line and restart X. Everything is shrunk down, both in firefox and thunar.
Where did I fuck up?

Use the package manager.

Welcome ~.

Attached: 1545738241248.gif (288x430, 1.92M)

can anyone recommend good run-time x86 disasm other than gdb?

Very nice, Satan.

radare2

Alright, it seems I accidentally messed up GDK_SCALE. Where do I fix this up?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
>Make sure the settings are loaded properly when X starts, for instance in your ~/.xinitrc with xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources (see Xresources for more information).

>This will make the font render properly in most toolkits and applications, it will however not affect things such as icon size! Setting Xft.dpi at the same time as toolkit scale (e.g. GDK_SCALE) may cause interface elements to be much larger than intended in some programs like firefox.

You should probably fix it in the same place you messed it up at

>even bare openbox is heavier
lol no it isnt you faggot. a fresh install of debian with openbox only uses like 40MB RAM

HAIL SATAN

>The devil uses devuan
>actually checks out
Welcome to the devuan family pham. The most based distro out there.

Just installed kde neon and installed icecat and for some reason my icecat does not launch

Posted this in dumb questions general but didn't get any replies ----

I've been running gentoo for the last couple weeks as my main and love it. I installed a couple things outside of portage and want to remove them now, how should I go about it? The package in question is cli-visualizer (aka vis), it comes with an uninstall script called uninstall.sh but when I run it I get:

>Makefile:5: Building with Makefile has been deprecated!
>Makefile:6: Please use the cmake build process instead.
>Using ltinfow
>Could not find libpulse-simple, disabling pulseaudio support
-------------------------------------
Obviously Makefile:5&6 are just reading the lines in the Makefile, but unsure on where to go from here to remove it from my system. When I was installing it I didn't think to make an ebuild and install it with emerge, that way it could easily remove it and avoid this situation. Gentoo gurus, I need your guidance.

From what I gathered so far, I don't see a workaround beside setting environment variables GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE

I think the physical parameters such as dpi are set in .Xressources, and the scaling of UI and text are done by setting environment variables

whats it say in the terminal when you try to launch it

thanks guys. I'm going to use KDE for now and then slowly ease myself into the terminal stuff

running smartctl on my ssd gives me this error
Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
what to do
it's the only error, everything else is fine, SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Nice man. Well good luck on learning the commandline.
I know people are gonna rip on me for this, but I began on the command line with this book:
amazon.com/Linux-Command-Line-Complete-Introduction-dp-1593273894/dp/1593273894/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
You may find it useful too.

I'll check it out, thanks again
>captcha: select chimney
feels bad to train bomb dropping drones

How do I keep track of the memory/cpu usage of kde widgets?

>DE
stopped reading right there

But it's almost the end of a sentence.