Just coming back from the local tech store and goddamn those things are gorgeous...

Just coming back from the local tech store and goddamn those things are gorgeous. Not only is the screen vibrant and razor sharp but as someone who never really used macos the quality of life features are staggering.
Please convince me not to buy this. Ither than basically no repairability what are the major drawbacks? (Don't care about vidya)

Attached: imac27inch2017.png (558x472, 498K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/apple.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> still on quad-core kaby-lake CPUs (even the macbooks are on 6-core already)
> shitty Polaris GPU
Wait for the refresh

Read the price tag.

Buy it and enjoy unix

*summoning the sataniaposter*

*summoning based scatman*

>t. too poor for unix

iToddlers I hope you have a happy new year with your beautiful machines
I wish I could afford them

Attached: itoddlers.png (957x1518, 709K)

>the quality of life features are staggering
What is that even supposed to mean?
Does it automatically find you a gay date on Tinder?

Cringe and bluepilled

Gay and cringepilled

Things like autocorrect or the smooth transition of full screen apps etc

That's some truly new and revolutionary features.

Attached: Surface-iPad-Comic.jpg (820x482, 96K)

I suppose this is my thread. Firstly OP is blatantly a shill for Apple or a troll. I thoroughly regret my purchase of a 4,1 Mac Pro in 2009 with accompanying 24" ACD.

Despite it being restricted to mini DisplayPort, using proprietary parts, being wildly expensive, too fragile, and having no adjustible axis. It also had a commonly reported problem with a large damp patch clearly visible on the upper left of the screen. As of 2016, the monitor crapped out and I'm entering 2019 with it still sitting around taking up huge space. I've replaced the power supply and logic board inside. T10 screws hold them in place, needed to buy a screwdriver for that. The PSU was €150. Logic board €120. Apple no longer repairs them, local tech stores won't touch them, Apple rumors (forum) is useless, no one local owns this piece of shit. And the image quality was sub-par even for it's time.

I was an idiot, learn from my mistake.

Attached: IMG_20181231_132717-1200x2133.jpg (1200x2133, 1.17M)

Well they sure don't exist on other OSs. Unless you mean in very specific programs

>I cant fix things I broke and that is apples fault

Lel

Cute feet

Attached: images (29).jpg (480x640, 37K)

youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Attached: classic_think_different_in_5k_by_howiedi2-d8onbnx.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

I didn't break it. It was shit upon arrival, but I wasn't aware about refunds due to being young (15yo). I trusted that you get what you pay for. Trust me, I've been through the mill with attempts to solve the problem. Currently I believe it's the LCD panel backlight or one of four cables. The most expensive connector costs €80 to replace. €80 for a fucking cable. Do you know how much a 4 pack of the official screws cost? €13.

>I didn’t RMA something that was faulty and 9 years later it still doesn’t work properly and that is somehow apples fault

Double lel

Double idiot. It's a commonly reported problem. Apple fucked up from the beginning in multiple ways. Guess why the ACD line is no longer being manufactured?

>why is something from 2009 still not being manufactured

Lel

It's not the reason you think. It was closed early because they fucked up. But what could you expect from Apple? If you want better for half the price, stick to Samsung, Panasonic, Philips or even use a HDTV. Longer life, cheaper price, better picture, less prone to damage.

That's just a certified crap.
For REAL unix you need a bigass PDP computer and terminals.
But i guess you guys are just too poor for those.

>I can only afford things from 2009 and that is apples fault

Kek

Nope, MacOS is fully certified Unix. Pic related. Sorry that annoys you.

Attached: 3793ADDE-B8CA-4C81-BD8F-2E6CB1B664CD.jpg (673x918, 188K)

Confirmed for an idiot who doesn't own an ACD.

Ay son, watch out for the cops, here’s some rocks, lemme get that pdp, watch out for the cops man

When you turn on the mac, it tells you that you're loading the AT&T unix system?

Cringe

Imagine arguing about something you clearly know nothing about.

Attached: 1E8CAE79-F501-421A-990B-AA6FFDB2135D.png (2000x1517, 126K)

Well it’s from the BSD family, so why would it?

Yes, it's a derivative of the unix but it's not the *REAL* Unix.

Appeal to purity

OS X is UNIX.

"UNIX" is really just a trademarked name, applied by The Open Group, upon completion of a certification. Many different - not at all compatible - OSes are certified as a UNIX. OS X among them.

Apple has submitted OS X for certification (and received it,) every version since 10.5. However, versions prior to 10.5 (as with many 'UNIX-like' OSes such as many distributions of Linux,) could probably have passed certification had they applied for it.

So it really depends on if you define "UNIX" as "the trademarked name by The Open Group, as applied to operating systems that have certification from The Open Group as a UNIX system" or if you define "unix" as "an operating system that functions like the original AT&T Unix operating system, and meets the standards set forward in any version of the Single Unix Specification, even if it was never submitted to The Open Group for testing and certification," then every OS X back to the original one would likely qualify. (As would most Linux distributions, even though none have undergone The Open Group certification.)

So why don’t you think it’s Unix?

Because it's not named UNIX.

But it is by the people who literally own the Unix trademark.
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/apple.htm

It is literally impossible to be more Unix than MacOS

>It is literally impossible to be more Unix than MacOS
Unix is more Unix than MacOS.

Unix is a family of operating systems, which MacOS belongs to. You realise that right?

Yes, but Unix is still more Unix than MacOS.
It is named Unix, it looks like Unix, it runs on machines that Unix runs, the crushing majority of the Unix users use it as a Unix system...
It's not just a "contains Unix".

the surface studio is better in most aspects

Unix is an operating system.
Reminder to report the daily apple shill threads and the million "t. Too poor for unix" replies within them.

>Unix is more Unix than Unix

This is how you sound

>MacOS is a Unix operating system

This is a true statement.

Stop replying to trolls and advertisers, just report.

>OS not named or used as a Unix is more Unix than Unix

This is how you sound

These screens tend to have image retention HARD when showing dark greys.

Build a comparable computer to the 5k iMac, with a 5k screen, for less than a 5k iMac.
You should be able to do this, right Jow Forums?

Attached: 1532769427816.jpg (650x576, 60K)

>spending more than 1000 USD on personal computer
literally why

What you're trying to claim makes no sense. MacOS isn't any "less" Unix than Unix because it brings its own UI (others did that), or because it only runs on a specific set of hardware provided by its vendor (others certainly did that), or because its users don't "use it as Unix" (to most actual users, as opposed to sysadmins or hobbyists who care to know what OS is what, the Unix system was always thought of as "the computer" or maybe "the text terminal").

MacOS is Unix. You can hate it for whatever reasons you like, and some of those reasons might even be good ones, no skin off my nose. But you're wasting your time and making a fool of yourself trying to claim it's someone not Unix or less Unix than any other given Unix.

Why would I want a 24" 4k display when I could have a 27" 5k display?

It's quite annoying and useless, isn't it? to keep insisting in an pointless point about technicalities?

Stop replying and report. You're literally arguing with someone paid to post. He doesn't give a shit about this, as long as the thread is up he gets paid. He can just pretend to not understand and repeat over and over that it's certified like that means anything, and you'll keep bumping the thread.

>being certified isn’t important
Let some dude who’s watched every episode of House perform heart surgery on you. Let me know how that works out k.

How many terminals your MAC is driving at the moment?

Cringe and shillpilled

What difference does that make? Is my Linux machine "less Unix" than a mainframe because I don't have any terminals hanging off it? (That said, I did actually hang a serial terminal off one of my old iBooks at one point.)

Why would I even want a 5k display? It's barely readable unless you scale text 200% or so thus wasting lots of space anyway

>It's barely readable unless you scale text 200%
It's not 1998 anymore. Macfags have had this since 2012. It's a wonder it's not a standard on all computers after 8 years.

Attached: 1525603755485.jpg (1280x1706, 843K)

If you're not using it as a Unix machine, what's the point of the certification?

You've got a strange definition of "using it as a Unix machine" if using a serial terminal to interact with it is a necessity.

so... this is how they shove ads down our throats now

kewl

You could use graphical terminals as well, as long you're using the multi user capabilities of the OS.

Extremely subpar performance per dollar, if anything does go wrong with it you're going to be paying out the ass for a repair, you can't use the monitor (arguably the only reason to buy it) on anything else but the included computer, reliability is shit,etc.

Seriously - the only reason to buy an iMac is the screen. Build yourself your own computer and buy a good monitor. Probably pay the same price for 20x the performance and if you play your cards right, you can still run a hackintosh on it flawlessly.

>Build yourself your own computer and buy a good monitor.
The only 5k monitors cost as much as a baseline iMac though. So iMac is still the cheaper option at the moment if you don't care about performance.

b-but it doesn't have the little apple logo

how would people know i'm a sheep?

So is a typical home Linux system "less Unix than Unix" too, given most home users don't have multiple user accounts, let alone multiple simultaneous users?

Now take the same picture from the average resolution at half a meter away.
Like yeah resolution is important if you're using a Vr headset, but the further away you move the less pixel density you need.

Yes, it's pretty established that GNU's Not Unix/Linux is not Unix.
But the claim that Mac OS is Unix is quite silly.

It has a terminal emulator, I don’t see your point.

>Now take the same picture from the average resolution at half a meter away.
Load a page on your phone and desktop/laptop.
Put the phone up to your display, and zoom the text to be the same size on both your phone and desktop.
Sit at your normal viewing distance. If you can't tell an immediate night and day difference, then you are either lying or really need glasses.
Here's the 1 meter away photo you wanted as well. You can still see a clear difference in the text.

Attached: 1537019756526.jpg (1280x1706, 703K)

Unix is mostly used in big computers driving several terminals, yet no one use MacOS X like that.

MacOS is certified Unix though. By the only people who can call something Unix or not.

Are you asking how close is it to the traditional gui-less Unix from the 80's?

Well, in that case, one can ask, how Windows is Windows 7? It's certainly "official" windows, but it doesn't feel anything like Window 95, let alone 3.1, not to mention MS-DOS. Does that make it any less of a Windows?

Just because normal (non-tech) users don't see the Unix underneath the GUI, doesn't make OS X any less Unix than it is.

>>Owns a 2009 iMac
>>Complains that in 2019 that it's shit

Are you some kind of retard? Your computer is 10 years old.
Have you even seen the current 5K iMacs?

MacOS is the most popular Unix though, and has the largest market share. Whatever it is used for is literally the benchmark of a modern Unix system.

So what are the resolution/size of those monitors?

>the claim that Mac OS is Unix is quite silly.
I'll be sure to let Unix know that they're wrong, thank you for your authoritative insight.

Did you know that the N64 have ECC memory? it's the best console because it is the only console with ECC memory.

I love random facts. Here’s mine. Did you know MacOS is certified Unix.

So GNU/Linux, a POSIX-compliant Unix-like operating system isn't Unix because it says it's not (even though it's near universally accepted as an implementation of Unix, even if it is "not *actually* Unix"), but MacOS which calls itself Unix and is certified as such isn't. Because people don't run their Macs as mainframes. Right.

2880x1880. It's the same screen. the only difference is the length of the lens used to capture it. The top is simulated 1 meter away, the bottom was actually taken at 1 meter away. This is because the only way to compare High PPI and Low PPI accurately on the display is to disable scaling and position the camera closer to make up for the 75% size loss of the UI.
If you had done this with two different monitors, the resolutions of each wouldn't matter. Just the pixel density and viewing distance.
Pic related. Here's a CRT from about 1 meter away. Do you need me to tell you it's low resolution?

Attached: 1535655203970.jpg (3662x2744, 1.75M)

Almost fucking nothing is actually used like that anymore.

Yes i do know, but did you know the alliance AT3D is the worst 3D accelerator ever made and there's no way you can prove me wrong on this one?

Oh well, I don't personally desire a 4k monitor when using my 1440p 27inch monitor at arms length away, the text is pretty clear.
The only things I'd go for now is higher refresh rate.

In a few years you won't have to compromise between the two desu.
High PPI is probably the best thing to happen to computers in the last 10 years. When 4k 144hz IPS displays go down in price you should seriously consider getting one.

Attached: 1542360325538.png (942x809, 498K)

So when a computer is 10 years old it no longer functions?

Nah, 4k for gaming is absolutely detrimental.
What you're usually doing is moving the camera and 4k over 1440p is just not worth it for the cost of fps.

When it has an Apple logo yes that can often be the case. Very roughly around 10 years is about the rule of thumb for Mac support.

It's not unusual for a computer that old to if not actually start breaking down, at least be pretty useless for running current software.

damn unix looks like that?

>So when a computer is 10 years old it no longer functions?

Not necessarily, but you can't really expect a 10 year old computer to be any good at running current software.

I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make.

In fairness, official support for any given PC or component thereof is pretty well dropped by that point too.

I don't care about Mac support. Does the computer function or not after 10 years?
I've got a computer here that is 12 years old that I am using right now as my daily driver. It's a Dell. I bought it used for $60. It's running just fine.
See above.

>I cant fix apple things because they are apple and basically, fuck you if you want to repair anything

that's appLE's fault, plain and simple

You'll have so many pixels that rescaling won't actually be much of an issue. High PPI is basically magical.
Fun fact: Apple allows you to change the rendering resolution of the desktop on retina Macs. They just resample higher resolutions down to the physical resolution. It is obviously less sharp than using the native scaling resolution, but it's still far sharper than anything you'd get from a low PPI display.
Just run your games at 1080p or 1440p with some AA. You won't notice much of a difference anyway. The only thing you see with high PPI in games is better looking textures.

>Does the computer function or not after 10 years?
Of course it does. Apple just doesn't support running the latest versions of MacOS on it, usually because they want to use some kind of hardware feature that isn't on older CPUs.
You can buy a rMBP from 2012 and it'll still run fine today. Hell, I used one up until 2017.

Apple hardware support usually ends around 5-6 years after the computer stopped being sold, though that's changing more recently with Vintage hardware repair programmes.

Software support recently has largely depended on hardware requirements, specifically graphical capability for Metal support.
Macs as old as 2010 can run Mojave, the current version of MacOS.

>Apple just doesn't support running the latest versions of MacOS
Why would I want to run the latest bullshit when it's already working?

>I've got a computer here that is 12 years old that I am using right now as my daily driver. It's a Dell. I bought it used for $60.

>>It's running just fine.

I sincerely doubt that.

Security should be the only reason you need