Hello guys, its your local dumbass here, I just wanted to say.. Today.. This morning...

Hello guys, its your local dumbass here, I just wanted to say.. Today.. This morning... I was kinda acting like a dumbass.. You know.. Usual day for us dumbasses, and well.. I fist created a hello world C program and named it 'cat'.. It hadn't crossed my dumbass that cat already exists and that I'm root.. And that this is potentially a dumbass thing to do.. But anyways.. I moved the program to /usr/bin where there already existed the cat program.. Then Unbeknownst to myself.. I overwrote the original cat with the mv command.. Then to further embrace my dumbassness... I renamed the prgoram to dog.... (mv /usr/bin/cat /usr/bin/dog).. Yeah.

And now.. Every fucking program asks for a missing cat, when there's a dog in place of it.. Only thing is.. This dog is retarded and can only print out hello world.. So.. Now most of the computer says hello world whenever I try doing anything..

My screen read..
[+] Available wireless devices:
1. Hello world

after a few minutes I thought "hey.. why not just move the cat program from a good version of linux to the broken retarded dog one.. and OBVIOUSLY.. it would work.

lessons learned:
1. "ooooh.. that's why it's better to have a user instead of using ROOT for literally everything"
2. The original Ben 10 Series is the best, wtf is ben 10 reboot?

I have a question I probably already know the answer to..

Having a user and doing (mv /usr/bin/cat /usr/bin/dog) would've given me a permission error right?

Is sudo /usr/bin/cat ... the same thing? If so.. then sudo still shouldn't exist?? OR.. does making a user give you your OWN version of cat that you can be a dumbass with???

How does unix protect the original cat? Is it by using unix through a user and NOT root? because sudo mv... is the same as being in root.. so.. it's not much of a protection mechanism is it??

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (597x639, 341K)

Cool blog.

I'll be wheezing for the next 15 minutes, brb

Yeah.. but.. I mean.. Why should I go register.. and.. put up a name.. and.. do all of these normal shit that reveal lots.. i mean.. nahmean?

I'll be waiting, don't be late ok??

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x266, 23K)

Ah man, good thread.

Attached: 1524187442206.gif (500x368, 2.98M)

Can you explain that gif?? I don't get it

My sides are in orbit.

You precious thing. Don't change

Attached: Snapchat-2045162831.jpg (720x1280, 157K)

The internet does not allow such "preciousness" i'm afraid.

Oh.. well.. now my last reply doesn't make sense.. thought it was referring to something "non-innocent ( idon't fucking know)"..

It just...

"My Sides" is a colloquial phrase used to convey laughter on message boards or in comments, especially in response to a funny image, video or remark made by someone else

Why does programmers love le funny normie memes so much? Do people on Jow Forums do it unironically?

lol dis nigguh actually fell for the duckduckgo meme

Attached: -77.jpg (500x382, 24K)

find out which package in your distros repository has the cat program and force it to reinstall

I never understood this. A person laughs so hard that their sides hurt, I get that. But how does that lead to them blowing up, and being launched into orbit?

>Having a user and doing (mv /usr/bin/cat /usr/bin/dog) would've given me a permission error right?
Yes.

>Is sudo /usr/bin/cat ... the same thing?
Sort of.

>If so.. then sudo still shouldn't exist?
Sometimes you have no choice but to perform an operation with elevated privileges, sudo does this while requiring you to confirm your action with a password, protecting it from accidental use.

>does making a user give you your OWN version of cat that you can be a dumbass with?
Possible to do, but no, not by default.

>autist doesn't get meme
Welcome to Jow Forums

C'mon bruh.

Attached: -16.gif (272x204, 1.87M)

Attached: -21.gif (500x361, 2.98M)

Just explain it if you get it. No need to be rude. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all?

what in the name of fuck is this bullshit

you know what, fuck it
I'll bite.

>Having a user and doing (mv /usr/bin/cat /usr/bin/dog) would've given me a permission error right?
as an ordinary user, yes

>Is sudo /usr/bin/cat ... the same thing? If so.. then sudo still shouldn't exist??
sudo gives you the power of root
you can set up which users can be root, and even what they can run as root
there's plenty of reason to be allowed to change what's in /usr/bin and other places full of system files

>How does unix protect the original cat?
by putting it somewhere only writable by root
since you had root permissions, you could do whatever to it

as an aside, to prevent doing this shit on accident again, use mv -i instead of just mv

Where do you think you are?
Just go and ask your reddit bros about it.

Attached: 79f.png (400x237, 193K)

4channel.org
Please, just go back to Jow Forums, where you belong.

Great thread, thanks

No fucking way

Attached: 1545592542692.jpg (400x551, 77K)

>How does unix protect the original cat? Is it by using unix through a user and NOT root?
Yes.
>because sudo mv... is the same as being in root.. so.. it's not much of a protection mechanism is it??
"How does the CPU protect itself from melting, is it by shutting down when it overheats unless you overclock it? But you can still overclock it... so it's not much of a protection mechanism is it??"
"How does the computer protect itself from being hacked, is it by requiring a login and password? But you can still reboot off a USB drive and fuck with the hard drive while logged in to the live boot... so it's not much of a protection mechanism is it??"
"How does the computer protect itself from hardware damage, is it by having well designed hardware? But you can still smash it with a hammer... so it's not much of a protection mechanism is it??"
Sorry, but no matter how much security you bake in, man inherently has power and control over his own property. There's no protection against user idiocy.

install gentoo

Lurk moar faggot

Stop spoonfeeding

That's not spoonfeeding, if I had explained the whole "my sides" thing it would have been.