/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboards General

Happy New Year edition.

Previous thread:

Attached: 12_TrZ30xp.jpg (4640x2610, 700K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00Y20JYTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XLOkCbXTQ493G
amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Programmable-Pocket-size-Acceleration/dp/B01MDTO6X7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MX is gay

Attached: 20181205_204805.jpg (4032x1960, 2.49M)

>full size
>in 2018 + 0.99
literally why

whats the point of a split keyboard if i can do the same with two keyboards?

Attached: crop-mech.jpg (3110x2074, 2.14M)

Who else /in-transit/?
For me, it's pic-related.

Attached: 1515369473799.png (960x1617, 1015K)

Black KBD75v2.
Also lube for switches in another package.
And grease for stabs in another package.
Last but not least, a soldering iron in another package.

Attached: 2_bddf61d1-2171-4372-a109-56de60f1ece7.jpg (1080x1080, 72K)

Just paid for that massdrop MT3 godspeed set. Sometime in the middle if this year my endgame will be reached.

Black Fjell case
Filco Minila Layout
Steel Plate w/ plate mounted stabs
Godspeed pbt

what kb?

KBD75 (version 1 case)

Because I like the numpad, have a big enough desk, and don't have tiny manlet hands

Are you retarded? The key size is the same on all keyboard sizes.

Whoops,
This is for (you). Numpad makes my life easier. Don't really give a shit, anything less than full size is just stupid to me.

So you don't care about being a brainlet? Guess it makes sense since you own an full size keyboard.

We're all friends here, user. No need to compensate for anything.

Imaging getting this buttmad over someone owning a keyboard you don't like

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>plate mounted stabs
based

all my shit uses GMK stabs now but costar is honestly the best, no clue why everyone prefers cherry stabs

Suggest to me a mechanical keyboard with
- Quiet keys
- Media buttons including volume
- Numpad keys
- Full anti-ghosting

If I'm gonna replace my trusty old G11 (the original blue version, not the shitty orange refresh), it needs to be at least equal in features.

Attached: 1330279302257.png (222x211, 4K)

>anti-ghosting
isn't this just the marketing equivalent of NKRO?

I don't know, this is what it was called back then and I played MMOs so it was a very important feature.

I haven't played MMOs in years so I probably don't need it anymore.
I still remember playing WoW on a friend's PC with a normal keyboard and being unable to activate some hotkeys while moving because it wouldn't register all the presses.

Are you okay user? You do know hand size has nothing to do with keyboard size.

I find that cherry stabs are much better for thick pbt on high profiles. If I had a cherry / oem / dsa keyset in mind then I'd consider it, but cherry plate mounted stabs imho tend to eliminate a lot of rattle.

I'll be using navy blue thick clicks too and box + cherry plate completely eliminate rattle. At least on my kbd75 with sa ice cap.

SEETHING

Okay this picture is funny, mind if I save it?

>n-no you
I bet you don't even own anything bigger then a full size

where can i buy a switch opener?

yo bois how do you solder a led wit one of them solder suckers with the plunger

what's wrong with fullsize? DESU I never use any of the buttons other than pgup and pgdown, but unless I'm typing on a laptop and have to sacrifice it, I'd want as many buttons as possible. Can always map cool shit to it.

I bet you're one of those HHKB fags

Thinking of getting the CTRL keyboard off of Massdrop. I've been reading mixed reviews about it. Should I get it and with which switch? Would like something tactile.

let's see
>faggoty huge bezel that's rounded to boot
>faggoty hot swappable sockets because brainlets can't solder
>faggoty RGB
I don't see why not uwu

I don't know what that is, i don't even own an mkg. Just interested and browsing.

most "non standard" keyboards are programmable so you can map whatever you want wherever you want including on function layers and all that stuff all while not having to leave your home row. the smaller the keyboard the better the ergonomics because you don't have to lean over to the left when you want to type and don't have to place the mouse so far away to the right

My boy
G11 reporting in, also looking for an upgrade

What's a good mechanical keyboard with numpad for gaming? No palm rest or whatever they call it.

You can chase the MX rabbit down the hole for endless mods and choices that never seem good enough, or you can buy Topre and have it be awesome out of the box.

Happy New Year, Anons! I just got this Durgod keyboard with Cherry MX Reds a few days ago. It was $100 on Amazon. I'm really enjoying it. Not as good as some retro ALPS boards I've used but certainly better than the rubber dome board I was using before.

Depends on whether or not you have room on your desk and if you actually use the number pad. I never used mine and I'd rather use that desk space for other stuff. The number pad on the left is also dumb because it's hard to keep the keyboard centered for typing while still having the mouse close by.

Attached: 20181231_132258-1-1.jpg (2195x868, 1.28M)

Imagine being such a pretentious faggot that you think removing the letters from a keyboard makes you look intelligent and modern. Any normal person who sees you using this will laugh and tell the rest of the office how gay you are.

where can I get a good keyboard with rounded keys that isn't
>steampunk
>retro
>gaming
bait.
Also do they make keyboards with clitmouses?

Attached: 1512470019781.jpg (500x500, 55K)

i typed this just for you

Attached: big_hook.png (926x873, 11K)

kek

what about an inbetween 88-key one?

What do you mean? Post a pic.

Attached: 20181231_134208-1.jpg (2694x1856, 3.24M)

wtf how come I can't find any boards with the Fn button on the lefthand side? What do I have to search for this?

Attached: 1522686819831.png (500x478, 114K)

You can remap the left windows/super key (if you don't use it much) on any keyboard that supports remapping (most of them do).

I mean exactly like the one you just posted, where the right edge isn't at the return button, but the arrow-keys/pgup/down keys.
I think that board is nicely shaped. The ones that cutoff more than that look like fisher-price facsimiles to me

I agree. I need the arrow and page keys to be able to work.

True, but I'd like to use that key too. I just want four keys to the left of the spacebar, and 3+ on the right.

Japanese keyboards have some funky first rows, so one option is to look into that.
But you can also make a custom keyboard, if you're a certain kind of person.

Attached: exxzMWK.png (830x290, 23K)

this , just get the realforce RGB and enjoy

my dogo does the same shit

Attached: crop-dogo.jpg (2400x3200, 2.12M)

wow that looks sick. Thank you user I will look into those

Just get a Ducky and switch it to the left side with the hardware dip switch

nice

Attached: filco keyboard.jpg (2400x1600, 1.39M)

Normal people don't give a shit about keys on a keyboard (You) turbo-autist.

Does this exist:
>brown switches
>full size
>wired
>has usb for mouse
>under 60 USD

>Get another virus on my work computer
>Have to trudge down to the company building's basement and talk to the creepy autistic IT dude
>Like most companies we have an unspoken rule for the IT nerds: we put up with their lack of social skills in exchange for their menial services
>"Hey Cornelius, got another Trojan for you to fix"
>The condom joke goes over his head because he's a virgin and he gets overly excited
>"Excellent! This shall give me an opportunity to test out my new remote access algorithm!" he screams in a nasally voice while rubbing his hands together
>As his pale, bony, weak fingers begin pecking away at his keyboard I notice something off...the keys have no characters on them
>Tell him I'll be back later, he responds with an "O-ok" while avoiding eye contact
>Head to the break room to drink my protein shake before hitting my lunch workout
>Frank and Beth are sitting down and chatting over coffee
>Barely containing my giggles I explain the turbonerd keyboard to them
>They burst out laughing and Frank runs out to tell the others while Beth stays and begins flirting with me
>Soon the entire office is laughing at strange old Cornelius and his invisible keyboard
>His new nickname is now Kooky Keyboard Corn

Attached: 1544234916437.jpg (1000x750, 66K)

You can’t mods don’t roll over.

Very carefully and with as little contact to the thing so you don’t burn it. Also use a temp controlled iron.

I mean I do trackballs in Gergo, clit mice are in progress

Also uwo what’s this

Attached: 291A0278-31DE-48AA-97C1-3B7175989202.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

That’s a teeny tiny lead!

Attached: 8AB55516-51CA-4D7F-8FBE-54B3CDFD582F.jpg (3264x2448, 1.1M)

Damn these are flimsy

Attached: 069C13EA-8D30-4348-8048-1F5486C52976.jpg (3264x2448, 1.46M)

Do you like 1.5u keys? I want my casting supplies fug

Attached: 2669BC7C-A890-479B-956C-E77C0EE7BB2B.jpg (3264x2448, 2.09M)

!

Attached: A4DB48FD-CAA9-42A0-BF5D-596B167AC216.jpg (3264x2448, 2.2M)

This is the world cutest dip switch. I just want to poke his buttons

Attached: 4E16FFA2-87D5-44C0-96DA-ADE91538AE13.jpg (3264x2448, 1.21M)

500deg C air! Get dabbed on hot swap fags

Attached: 044346F4-FDDA-4B41-B5CD-632F3D11EDE3.jpg (3264x2448, 1.15M)

Attached: 653B8A23-B757-4C20-A353-84D98BF1485A.jpg (3264x2448, 2.33M)

gboards.ca is life.

Let’s all love Lain!

Attached: 8FB2BCA5-F3C2-4E15-A084-91F42919B5B6.jpg (3264x2448, 1.87M)

this is so fucking stupid

and i am using a TKL keyboard

just three rows of legendless keys? why are you being so dumb

>You can’t mods don’t roll over.
GUI, SHIFT, CONTROL, ALT
they all work for me

>5 bucks for a micro usb cable

i buy rechargeable xbox controller batteries that come with a cable for less than that

I’m not going to lie I’m not in it to supply miniUsb cables. Go down to Radio Shack for that!

Huh. Weird, on some boards you can’t shift on one board and type on the other properly.

might as well just do a gratuity and ship them with any component that requires a connection with one?

Best place to get practice PCBs before building my first keyboard?

Opinion on mx black switches?

Planning to check them out

Attached: mxblack.png (2984x3000, 3.09M)

everything MX is inferior to Topre.

Yeah lead time on decent cheap ones isn’t great though. :/ Inbox me if you order and I’ll hook you up

If you want to get them quick? Amazon. I got a few spares kicking around my shelf that I can throw in if you’re looking at Gergo. Get one of those guys that gets smaller in SMD size and an alarm clock. I was happy that my little kit alarm clock came with a socket able AVR and I was able to reprogram it into a better clock!

can't layer with separate boards

build it directly, buy your pcbs from a chink manufacturer, they have special prices for pcb below certain dimensions

You can if you just do the layering in software.

Arent Topre just Macbooks for mechanical keyboards?

No, because they actually do something better.

mmmmmm made me think, i can send a caps lock from the terminal xdotool key Caps_Lock
and the keyboard will recognize the change, so if we tune the keyboard instead interpret it as a layer change it could work out?

I've been using them for maybe 8 years now. Typing for extended periods it can give you pretty bad strain. Looking back, I'm not sure if I would have gotten one with a lighter actuation force.

...did you not get used to them (built strength in fingers) after 8 years of using them?

They fastest for typing apparently but tire hands out more

>too poor to buy topre
>spend 2x the cost of a hhkb over several shit MX boards in the span of a few months
>shoulda bought topre

When are you sending my board? re3eeeeeeeeeee

Do you think this will work? I have Gatreons and Royals, both with SMD amazon.com/dp/B00Y20JYTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XLOkCbXTQ493G

>SMD
what solder iron do you have? actually i wouldn't try this type of soldering, those pieces are to small and usually they solder them by putting a paste on all those pats using a stencil and then use a heat source or a oven

Oh hey, I have the same one with the same switches. Nice choice.

TS100
amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Programmable-Pocket-size-Acceleration/dp/B01MDTO6X7

prime example of settling

duno, maybe with patience and some flux you can solder those little things

Hey guys. My keyboards are still all completely stock so I'm still a piece of shit.
In the future I want to BKE and lube my HHKB, lube and silence my fc660c, desolder fc980m and put ttc silent red stem/outemu no wobble top/?? bottom with gat yellow springs in it, box pale blue in my coolermaster tkl. Just need fucking soldering tools.
now make fun of me for responding to everyone. i get chatty when i take my meds.
If this is yours it looks very good. I would rather desolder a race 3 but you cant fuck with that rgb underglow
I think the contrast between the caps and the case is too high, they would look better on a white case. It does work though, looks better than most boards.
That size board would be cool for typing into your phone, tablet, etc.
It looks good but $100 is too much for a basic red switch keyboard. Honestly if thats what you wanted you could have got something with gateron reds for like $40. Desolder it and put 60g springs and lube in it and we can talk ;)
it does look nice tho
that mx master and the new version are the only modern mice in the world that look good with beige keyboards and its fucking lame
All stock linear switches(besides flaretech reds, varmilo EC, alps) are trash compared to even the cheapest lubed linear. gk61 kit for $50+$20 in switches+10 in lube and springs and you'll have nearly the best possible linear typing experience.

Attached: IMG_20181202_182302-01.jpg (1759x1920, 1.09M)

I got a Das 4 pro and want to know how to replace the num lock and caps lock led. They are blue and I don't want to become blind.

Hello

Attached: mech.jpg (4032x3024, 3.62M)

How do you feel about japanese sublegends purely for looks user?
I personally love it, especially on enjoypbt sets, because it shows off the good dye sub job much better than just plain legends. Same with fancy super keys.

Attached: 54nt59p4nn721.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

>It looks good but $100 is too much for a basic red switch keyboard
I know I could've gotten it a lot cheaper but I wanted something that just worked out of the box that I could start using right away. There was no need to solder to pick out special key caps. I think the price is justified for the overall package you get. It also has a 4 year warranty that was just a couple more dollars tacked on, so that's always nice. If it ever shits the bed I can get a new one for free and I know it'll be exactly the same.