Do you guys prefer the arudino or the raspberry pi for robotics based projects and why?

Do you guys prefer the arudino or the raspberry pi for robotics based projects and why?

Attached: 171211- Arduino Vs Raspberry Pi.jpg (800x667, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pxAVh4s6R78
youtube.com/watch?v=LHI0BQDkkhc
youtu.be/CPCTf20Sbvw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It fucking depends you dumbfuck mongoloid piece of shit cocksucking niggerfaggot.
First of: The atmega328p does not have a FPU.
Just FYI. You can probably figure out the rest yourself. If you can't you should prolly kys or get away from robotics

You stupid fucking dumbfuck mongoloid piece of shit cocksucking niggerfaggot.
God dammit why are you so fucking stupid.
If you want literally ANYTHING web based or heavy CPU usage, then raspberry pi or any ARM device is better
otherwise attiny84 or attiny85 are the way to go.
arduino for testing.

Yikes, someone's angry because santa didn't give them what they wanted

uhm, i am a muslim?

>muslim
kek you said op is the mongoloid

Santa is not a religious thing you retard

Based and redpilled

I mean...you're not wrong

yea, you

I'm doing one that has both atm.
The Raspberry is better for generic stuff - connectivity, trying stuff out quickly - as it has support for everything thanks to linux. Also good community behind it.
However it isn't as reactive as a microcontroller is, hence for low level bitbanging it's pretty much necessary to have one of those. Eg. driving motors and such.

The Pi isn't a Real-time computer = shitty samples, jitter, latency

Crappy for a robot that needs precise timing, so it could prove necessary to use Microcontrollers with it anyway, depending on the task.

>However it isn't as reactive as a microcontroller
what does that even mean you dumbfuck nigger faggot?
The raspberry is about 100 times faster than an arduino. Better get your terms right, before talking about shit like that on a technology forum. Obviously you cannot meet hard realtime constraints with a normal linux install. Though you can easily patch it with RT_PREEMT, you fucking faggot. kys now

>The Pi isn't a Real-time computer = shitty samples, jitter, latency
>what is RT_PREEMPT
see PS: Yes, i know that realtime does not imply performance.

it depends on the project. but in my experience and esp32 (arduino with wifi/bluetooth) is way more practical than a raspberry pi for robotics

neither.
just design your own stuff, it's not hard.

Just depends but I use arduinos most of the time because I don't need that much proccessing power and extra shit for most projects.

>i don't understand what interrupts are

>implying you can't write interrupts on linux
kys faggot

>have you ever written an interrupt routine? No you havent, because you're a faggot
t. terry davis

*hugs u*

Neither is suitable for anything battery-powered.

the atmega328p is fine for battery powered things. Just desolder the shitty voltage regulator and the LEDs from an arduino and you are good to go (or just build a pcb yourself lol)

why

How often do you need more than 12b of precision in your calculations?
FPU is useless for basement-dweller robotics. If you care about "muh cycles", you pick up VHDL and design your own optimal microcontroller.

a beagleboard

>he doesn't know about sleep mode

I though we are on a technology forum here and actually develop real robots?

STM32 Micro

atmega8 is the only sane way to go

Attached: IMG_6264.jpg (3000x2000, 670K)

>real robots
Yeah i'm sure you have 300k$ laying around somewhere behind your cum jars and piss bottles for a "real" robot.
Even many industrial robots don't bother with IEEE-754, it's simply overkill for majority of applications.

eww. get off my board

>Even many industrial robots don't bother with IEEE-754, it's simply overkill for majority of applications.
obviously, but you often need to calculate shit like 1.2*3.14, which is a lot faster with a FPU.
Then again, you can normalize everything down to integer calculations, but thats just another hurdle, so a cpu with hardware floatingpoint calculations is nice to have

Based and crusadespilled

get back to Jow Forums, scum.

Why the fuck doesn't PI have PoE yet?

Why Why Why Why
Why
Why
Why

>Do you guys prefer the arudino or the raspberry pi for robotics based projects and why?
if you are asking these kinds of questions to Jow Forums you probably aren't asking yourself the right questions. you either need to figure out what exactly you're trying to ask, then ask a real question. until then you're really just jerking yourself off
> hey Jow Forums im doing ROBOTOCS look at meEEEE which iS BETTER>>>???????

Because the PoE circuit is expensive, you dumbfuck.
Plus PoE Switches are expensive as fuck and no school kid has them. The raspberry is meant for education, faggot

>which is a lot faster with a FPU
If you do it in IEE-754.
This might be news to you, but there are binary representations of [0,1] that work with ALU operations and can give you enough precision so FPU is just about useless. So no, 1.2*3.14 isn't any faster on FPU than on ALU if you know what you're doing and if your representation gives you enough precision.
>you can normalize everything down to integer calculations
Which is ok for actuator logic, but not for world model, where 8b really doesn't cut it. FPU is still overkill in absolute majority of cases.

o-o-o-okay then i probably do not know enough ;_;
pls no bully

Yeah it's worth playing with it, there are some really cool (but useless) representations where for examble multiplying by 1 gives you cosine of that number and other arcane representations.

If you're asking this question you're a fucking moron

esp8266
/t

ew, fucking nigger alert

Get a PoE breakout that supplies normal ethernet and five volts you can use to power the pi. Or get a SBC that has it built in. the pi is made to be used as a learning and tinkering platform, which PoE is certainly above the scope of.

>Do you guys prefer a hammer or a wrench to cut down a tree?

>implying you can turn off the interrupts in linux
you completely missed the point
kys brainlet

>i dont even know what to put as greentext lol

epic

yes

Attached: ESP8266-OLED-preflashed-development-board-Screen-0-96-inch-OLED-version-ESP8266-18650-0-96-inch.jpg (1000x1000, 121K)

Get a robotics specific pc104 instead.

fpbp

what the fuck are these posts lmao
the only people who need FPUs on boards like these are autists like me that mostly just like feeding them benchmarks and big math problems and seeing how long they take to solve them
>web surfing on a fucking embedded device
lol

robots use math. You know that, right?

Allahu akbar

Use a PLC

>web based
>as in hosting a web server
>he thinks that means browsing
fucking idiot

>Muslim in amateur electronics thread
Reported to FBI for bomb building

Attached: 1492778451615.png (500x281, 100K)

You know there's a tangible difference between computing fluid dynamics simulation and a computing a trivial minkowski sum to figure out if your robot will collide with something, right?
Hint: one needs *a lot* of _precise_ computations, the other needs *couple* _approximate_ computations.
Protip: you don't need (neither do you want) to waste resources on FPU to do couple low-precision operations

Best post of 2018.

Any ARM microcontroller, like pic related.

Attached: 15109592001843616540.jpg (641x528, 110K)

>logiclets

Attached: ZYBO_Zynq7000_Development_Board.png (609x800, 525K)

>only for the cost of 10 AVR boards
>a monstrous ARM sitting next to FPGA
Yeah, i'll pass on that fampai.

Attached: 4L_I978ASq6.jpg (575x610, 55K)

>runs a whole OS just for basic micro-controller tasks

i'm gay btw I don't know if that really effects my input

They're prototype boards. If you think Atmel's lineup of microcontrollers works for your project and would be cheaper than a full SBC with an ARM core then you pick Atmel, you wiener.
Think about making a hundred million units of your shitass robot and think about whether it would be cheaper to do it using a microcontroller or ARM.

Sometimes there are even fundamental differences between microcontrollers and SoCs that would mean you're forced to pick one over the other.

>kneading that baby batter

doesn't matter. if you can install docker you can run anything.

>microcontroller
>install

Attached: 1503300936287.jpg (1079x1070, 562K)

How do I into robotics?

Teach me you ways oh glorious EE

can i shitpost from a rock64 ?

not all math is accelerated by an FPU, only floating-point math is accelerated by an FPU, and most robots aren't doing shitloads of single/double-precision floating point math to the point that this is required, even nowadays FPUs are a rarity in embedded that's more integer-heavy than anything and still more than capable of carrying out the occasional FP computation when necessary
why the fuck would you host a web server on a microcontroller? that's even dumber.

Mudslime get out and take your nigger-boards and your nigger-drivers with you

Attached: 201810251.webm (640x427, 702K)

Attached: 1528650924600.webm (540x600, 2.89M)

Attached: 20190101_122431.jpg (3984x2988, 3.52M)

Are raspberry pi zeros overpriced?
I want to buy some and use then as sensor data loggers I can ssh into around the house

youtube.com/watch?v=pxAVh4s6R78

youtube.com/watch?v=LHI0BQDkkhc

>hosting web server on micro controller
they aren't micro controllers, fucking idiot. Tons of people who aren't idiots use raspberry pi and other ARM SINGLE BOARD COMPUTERS as their servers. You can easily handle hundreds of simultaneous users on a pi as a web server.

no. they're the cheapest boards you can get that you can "ssh into around the house" with full stack linux on it.

youtu.be/CPCTf20Sbvw