Can you get in trouble with your ISP for assigning yourself a static IP address?

Can you get in trouble with your ISP for assigning yourself a static IP address?

Attached: 1526059605959.webm (640x480, 1.08M)

why would you get in trouble for something you can't do

but i just did

as long as you don't tell them they won't know or care.

>doesn't understand the difference between an internal and external IP

Attached: retarded Wojak landing pad Pepe helicopter.jpg (400x421, 17K)

I don't think you do user.

this is what Jow Forums is now

Aren't the neetbux enough?

Attached: 1509269476597.png (192x286, 19K)

What happens if you assign yourself an IP already in use?

you can sniff their emails for nudes and stuff

serious answers only please

the ISP controls your external IP. you have no control over it retard. You get a static IP by asking the ISP for one.

Okay but it keeps disconnecting, probably because it's in conflict as a result of being assigned to someone else.
I figured that might cause them some alarm

I tried a different ip, and it's better but it still disconnects once every 10 or 15 minutes, still better than the first one that was disconnecting every few seconds.

Then it in't assigned to you and you can't connect to the webnet

google it you fucking faggot

ipv6

you can tell if it's in use by pinging it

ah, good idea actually

You can't. Either you use the IP they provided or you don't have internet connection.

you still dont control your own external IP retard.

pic related is (You)

Attached: ok.jpg (400x400, 25K)

imagine being this clueless

>being baited this easily

Attached: ok.jpg (286x509, 12K)

Attached: pretending_to_be_retarded.jpg (349x642, 40K)

Attached: ok.jpg (1068x1035, 84K)

Just change the last value in the top line and the public ip is changed to whatever you want.
Though no matter what IP, even if it seems to be free by pinging, it keeps giving connection issues. I wonder why...

Attached: untitled.png (1013x786, 65K)

Because that isn't the IP your ISP has provided you with.

Well, of course, but why is it able to connect at all? Why is it intermittent? How come it doesn't either just shut me out from using that IP, or work fully?

My ISP would disconnect and reconnect me once every 24-hours to give me a new IP.

That's not how any of this works. Your "public" IP is assigned by your ISP in the same way your private IPs are distributed to your devices by your router. You can't simply change your public IP, it's value isn't under your control. If you're running some service you want publicly available, you have a few options:

1) ask your ISP for a static IP
2) tell your router to forward traffic destined to your service to a specific host:port
3) pay for an additional ip (that's static)

today is the day i found out that Jow Forums has no idea how public IP addresses work.

>Having a giggle
>Connect two computers with an ethernet cord
>Computer 1
IP Address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 10.0.0.2

>Computer 2
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 10.0.0.1

>Obtain free internet for myself
>Laugh at people who pay for internet
>I am hackerman

Attached: 16b.gif (425x481, 1.51M)

>Your "public" IP is assigned by your ISP in the same way your private IPs are distributed to your devices by your router.
Don't be dumb, you can totally ignore DHCP leases or not even ask for one and just give yourself an IP on your private network, on a public network it depends on your ISP being retarded or not.

no one is talking about private/interal IPs pleb. stay rarted

>Feel even more devilish
>Run local DNS server
>Register google.com as a CNAME to yyyyyyy.info
>Whenever I use someone's computer I change their default DNS server's ip to mine

Attached: 6BabdBR5NS56kaLMxZC9OJ1t953LBDbTcKFW_jD72B4.jpg (640x798, 55K)

You can't assign yourself a public IP and jump on some ISPs network. Their entire profit model would break if you could. You may get a connection initially (very briefly) until their NAT realized you're not who you say you are.

What defines your public IP then? Because when I change that value and I look up "what is my ip address" on google or any other site, it gives me the ipv4 address that I put in.
And my bans on here go away as a result of the ip address changing. If that's what you're talking about when you say public IP, then I'd like to know what "public ip" you're talking about.

Whatever the IP that is given you, that's what you need to use. Ask your ISP for a static one if you need it. Don't just give yourself any old address you feel like. You won't get internet access, you may be using an address that's already in use so you will be causing conflicts on the network (no two devices can use the same IP).

Now on your private side (home lan side) things are different. You can use any address range you want, long as it's valid. Class A, B, C, don't much matter none. If you have say a FTP server running that you want to access externally then you need to use port forwarding in your router. The router will direct all external traffic intended for the FTP server to the computer on your side of the lan.

>that webm

Attached: 1544228846970.jpg (298x272, 13K)

>What defines your public IP then?
Your ISPs DHCP. You're connected to a switch at the isp. That switch maintains a NAT table which reconciles IP to MAC addresses. When you change your public IP, these values will conflict and your router will be sent the proper IP to use, eventually. So, if you change your IP, you may have a connection temporarily (several minutes), but eventually your router will revert to its proper address

Providing nobody else has that address you are fine. The ISP's routers will allow you that address and will not allocate that address to anyone else while the lease time on their routers allow you to keep it. Once the lease time is up the routers will check if that address is still being used by you. If they detect you have been assigned a new address (because you spoofed you mac address AND (AND) set your router to DHCP they will allocate the address elsewhere. You are fine providing you realise that the address will be reallocated if your router goes offline for a greater time than the lease time remaining - and NO THEY WILL NOT BE PISSED OFF as all proceedures are automatic and require no human to invest time in the process so little to no money is spent on you

Your bans would go away from you rebooting your router too

I wish, it only changes if I leave it off a whole night. Actually, I'm not even sure if that's still true.
Still not as bad as having Spectrum ISP. I tried everything for weeks and you could NOT get a new IP with them no matter what. Even changing the MAC on the router would just make the modem not give the router any connection instead. You'd probably have to get a whole new modem. Eventually I had to go to IRC and grovel for them to unban me

Things are different from how they used to be user, sticky dynamic IPs are no joke.

All you have to do is go into your router settings and spoof the mac address. Then switch offg router and switch back on. Providing you only do this once or twice a day the isp will allocate a new address to you

>Your "public" IP is assigned by your ISP in the same way your private IPs are distributed to your devices by your router. You can't simply change your public IP, it's value isn't under your control.
Go kill yourself pajeet.

IP addresses are completely arbitrary. DHCP is, at best, a suggestion for the device receiving the lease.
You can give yourself any fucking IP you want, even experimental ones and network addresses. It just tends to not be a good idea.

If you actually tell your router to use a reserved external IP, prepare to get ass-reamed by your ISP. You are most likely in violation of your contract and also actively causing minors issues on a global scale. You have no idea what's normally behind the IP address that you just stole.
Prepare to get a knock at your door tomorrow. What you are doing is equivalent to running a GSM jammer or changing your AP's country code. You are actively interfering with infrastructure.

Remember, external IP addresses are distributed by companies that paid for every single address. They will not enjoy it when some assfaggot decides to just use one of them for free. IPv4 addresses are rare and expensive.

You know you just retyped what that user said, but with edgy teenage angst

Attached: 1503410119325.gif (390x220, 1.86M)

I've been doing it for years and nothing has ever happened.

>I've been doing it for years and nothing has ever happened.
I don't see how that is possible, you are just making up an IP then and displaying it to the www for days and weeks with no consequence?