How did Japan and Korea managed to get a monopoly on the electronics industry?

How did Japan and Korea managed to get a monopoly on the electronics industry?

Attached: untitled-design-153.jpg (728x425, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ITLyfGqua6A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQa4HHkhwVg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They make good stuff and don't try to squeeze out as much money as they can from the customer, which many western companies did/so. Good product + reasonable price = winning.

Besides optoelectronics and batteries Japan became irrelevant in this decade. Also most profit grabbed by burger companies, because selling hardware prints less money, than selling services or simply milking a centralized software market like app store.
>They make good stuff
I miss Sharp.
>don't try to squeeze out as much money as they can from the customer
Ok, now that's funny.

Of course they do try to squeeze out profit, they are business after all, but not to the extent and shameless transparency that many western companies do.

Are the Japanese really good at technology or is it just a meme? Where's the mecha by now?

youtube.com/watch?v=ITLyfGqua6A

Comparative advantage

It's a meme, Japanese businesses still use faxes

Japanese electronics are dead, Korean electronics other than Samsung are dying, why do you think Toshiba is struggling financially, when was the last time you saw a Sony phone or a Panasonic TV?

There's a sweet spot when an economy rapidly develops when the technological proficiency is high, but real wages are still low which gave them a competitive advantage. Japan is actually arguably losing that advantage right now and china is about to enter that period themselves.

it just werks

They bought their competition from the 70's to the 90's?

>it just werks
Faxes combine the worst of old school telephone with the worst of old school computing. There is no reason they should not have moved to modern email systems with the spam problem being solved in the early 00's.

> what is sony

>it just werks
So do telegraphs, do you still use them instead of email?

>but not to the extent and shameless transparency that many western companies do.
Examples of these noble companies?

This pretty much. All I'm wondering now is: after China colonizes Africa and makes it its own China, then Africa is bound to develop. Who's going to get exploited after Africa gets together?

Used to*
They haven't since the 90's.

Attached: reeproduction.png (1280x720, 577K)

its really a boomer thing
Faxes are actually a pain in the ass for me, as my dad insists on keeping his for 2 fucking local advertising services he uses it for
Buy new Printer? gotta have fax functionality
get new VoIP landline? gotta find a way to rig up the old ISDN system because Fucking fax needs analog phone line and routers only have 2 instead of the needed 3
we dumped some cash on keeping this boomer tech alive

le japan is le using fax machines maymay
le japan is le old maymay

I fucking hate memester kids so much. I swear some people can't fucking think for themselves and work on memes.

What the FUCK does bureaucracy have to do with technology you dumb piece of shit? This must be the 1000th time I've seen someone post this same retarded shit.

Japan still have some of the biggest number of yearly patent registrations on electronics and chemistry, and had the highest amount of patent fillings in the world two years ago.

It's the only reliable provider worldwide of quality components and advanced optical instruments. There's not one single quality electronic that doesn't have Japanese components. They have some of the largest semiconductor companies in the world.

Japan has a monopoly on certain segments as digital photography technology, and along with South Korea and Taiwan, almost a monopoly on pretty much every fucking component in modern electronics.

OR DO THEY? Because Mr. Kobayashi of Shing Shong Ninpong tea exports is using a fax machine.

Get fucking serious.

I get what you mean; you're comparing EA and Apple to someone like Panasonic or Toyota. Japan has Sony, which was doing in the early 00's what Apple is doing now (and went from a share price of 15,425JPY on Feb 25 2000 to 834JPY on Nov 22 2012) and Takata aka airbag fuckery.

Obviously a business using a FAX machine in your country lowers your overall tech industry. Whats hard to get!

Humans, by the robot overlords

Yes, because all of those MAJOR electronics corporations (OP's fucking point) are using fax.

You don't measure a country's influence on the ELECTRONICS industry by measuring the impact its major players have internationally, you check to see if a tea shop in the boonies is using a fax machine.

Do you seriously not see that there is no relationship between le japanese fax maymay and what OP just fucking asked?

I swear, ever since BBC published that fucking article in 2015 there's been a swarm of never tiring memesters that pull up le japanese fax maymay in EVERY fucking situation.

Next you'll tell me how the Japanese space programs and satellite communications are non-existent because le japanese use fax.

>when was the last time you saw a Sony phone or a Panasonic TV

Attached: 1532977270507.png (645x729, 69K)

>Next you'll tell me how the Japanese space programs
The Japanese space passenger program exists friend, but only because other countries let them have a seat.

They started making cheaper replica of products created in us, Since 80s

>almost a monopoly on pretty much every fucking component in modern electronics.

How did they do it?

>Are the Japanese really good at technology or is it just a meme?
Depends on the company, and the amount of funding they receive for r&d.
>Where's the mecha by now?
Could have been built a few decades ago, but they are impractical especially when considering the cheaper more durable alternatives that exist.

Now when was the last time you saw a quality electronic that didn't have a Japanese component?
When was the last time you bought a device with a non-Japanese made camera?
Name the one country that has the most reliable supply of capacitors.

Your phone probably have Korean or Japanese flash memory, Korean or Japanese chips, Korean or Japanese screen, a Korean or Japanese DAC, etc.

China only assembled it, unless yours is a cheap phone.

So this but they actually invested time and money to make them better and better? What about foreign competition?

>Name the one country that has the most reliable supply of capacitors
Taiwan, but JapCaps don't carry the stigma from the early 2000's, so they sell better.

They started doing that since ww2 ended.
A few American businessmen thought them everything they needed to restructure, manufacture, and do business.

Japan psot-WWII was like China. Cheap knock-offs, intense reverse engineering, cheap electronics.

But they are a diligent, competent, and obstinate with quality people. When Japanese cars arrived in the US in the 60s/70s they completely BTFO American cars in every objective metric. They were cheaper, lasted longer, didn't rust, didn't drop oil, they were simply better than American cars and forced the American industry to increase its standards.

Similarly, that's what happened with their tech industry. By the 80s and beyond Japan started to become a rich, developed nation. They weren't like China. Labour wasn't so cheap and manufacturing was expensive.

The place for cheap stuff and labour was Hong Kong then, Taiwan to some extent, and South Korea.

Japanese electronics acquired a reputation for their quality. Back when the name Sony meant something, it was a certificate of quality in the 80s and 90s.

So that's why that monopoly happened. Electronics were booming in the 50s and beyond and those were the countries were they were cheap. Japan, then Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan and Mainland China. So that's where the industry developed and grew.

In regards to the Japanese being a standard of quality, that's just how they are as a people. Remember the capacitor plague in Taiwan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Japs needed Americans to drop two bombs on them in order to fuckstart their zipper heads into being something other than goblin tier rape monkeys.

That has nothing to do with the subject.

OP, did you ever know about a country called “Taiwan”?
Faggot

Cool.

Now fuck off.

Attached: c62.jpg (546x700, 136K)

It has everything to do with the subject. Americans taught nips how to into Jow Forums, and Jow Forums after dropping two glorious examples of previously unattainable tech on their amphetamine addled sexualy depraved asses. Now they act like people, and make Nintendos. So, you should be thanking my grandpa for forcing the nips to evolve into the productive individuals that they pretend to be today.

>How did Japan...
Americans. That's how.

Tiny hands. Closer to the work. Caucasians are just too damn tall.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQa4HHkhwVg

>le newchaneller

lol, being so gullible.
Asian business is just as cut-throat as Western business.

Because Asians are more autistic and have smaller dicks, so they focus on producing tiny things, like electronics.

What I wrote is more akin to a scientific hypothesis, not some Jow Forums-shit, you nigger.

>fax machine

Attached: 1545933504458.png (383x384, 286K)

America happened to them. Japs hate Americans though which is an unfortunate twist.

Not only Japs, everyone hates Americans, though.

Probably only gypsies are more hated than Americans.

Everybody hates America

Attached: murica.jpg (560x457, 145K)

You would think that the Japs would enjoy Americans more than they do though. Americans literally taught them everything they know, and were even the ones who believed in them enough to invest decades of American money in order to jumpstart their economy.

Not everybody. Some people prefer to do business with Americans over other people from other nations.

You ok mate?
Are you living on the same planet on me or did you forget about Nintendo Labo or literally anything electronic related they've sold?

>Americans literally taught them everything they know

Like what, how to process steel to make traditional Japanese knives? Did Muricuns teach them those centuries-old traditions too?

>every country hates America
>will never refuse all the freedom aid and military defense
>every country hates Americans
>love when Americans travel and pump their freedom dollars into their economy and speak English to them

>Where's the mecha by now
>He's not paying attention

Attached: unicorn gundam.jpg (580x773, 165K)

Like how to exist in the modern world.
See
Japanese meme swords aren't even part of the equation.

Cherry picking at its finest

>Japanese knives
Are those any good? I picked up some neat knives from s.e. Asia that put nip blades to shame. I think they were true woots steel.

>don't even know if american make TVs
So, do you guys actually make TV? Like, currently. Are they exported to somewhere?

Because they're the only Asians who don't shit in the street.

Attached: heh.jpg (600x315, 21K)

>cringe

Koreans don't do that

Probably just design the good ones, or the CPUs, and DACs, if they are smart and have cheap labor put it together.

kys

Because of the American taxpayers.

>Korean electronics other than Samsung are dying
Samsung is like a quarter of that country's economy and there's also LG and SK Group which owns SK Hynix. S. Korea's economy is highly centralized with a handful of companies commanding a majority of it.

For kitchen cutlery. I still use Japanese knives my grandparents bought in the 50s and they've held up amazingly well.

The handles are worn to shit, but the actual blades themselves still cut nicely

OP:
>no no, is Chinese Taipei

>The handles are worn to shit, but the actual blades themselves still cut nicely
You could replace those old wooden handles for pretty cheap. I know that they sell replacements in Japan just for that purpose.

Hey that's a good idea
Thanks user!

No prob buddy.

That's what I said, you dense fuck.

does she have a moist pussy?

Not by default.

>someone in this thread remembers how glorious SHARP was in the 80s
I'm too young, so I don't. But my dad certainly does fondly.

Those were good times.

Attached: sips.jpg (496x400, 37K)

>Besides batteries
I'm pretty sure LG and Samsung are two of the biggest battery makers right now

email is more prone to hacking than fax. sometimes the gold old fashioned fax is best for security and anonymity

>sometimes the gold old fashioned fax is best for security and anonymity
I don't see how this could be true. Maybe if you snuck into a Japanese business man's house without anyone knowing, and just started anonymously faxing people obscenities? I mean fax goes through a phone land line, and all.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>How did Japan and Korea managed to get a monopoly on the electronics industry?

japan and korean school are pure engineering, meanwhile american Ivy League (Brown, Columbia, Cornell , Dartmouth College, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton , and Yale), british Oxford are too focused in "arts in humanities"

You see all those silicon valley CEOs with liberal art major making interviews about conjectures based on no evidence, displaying a clear lack of critical thinking. America's obsession with "arts in humanities" is hurting our economy because we cannot survive in this age defined by technology and global competition. The ability of how use Logic Doors is a rare commodity in the these days.

Attached: Hitoe_Uemura_cake.jpg (1050x1050, 350K)

Does Japan hold a monopoly in the tech sector?

Japan was an industrial superpower since the '30s. The Himeji Restoration saw the country open up to foreign investment and technology transfer ever since the 1890s.

Post ww2 Japan with W. Edwards Deming would interest you.

That's gonna change real soon

They aren't cheap, Chink shit is cheap

Attached: flag-of-china.jpg (1000x661, 118K)

That's going to change. Poofingers are going to take over the electrical Lego game.

Chink shit is getting more expensive you mong

Production costs in China are now only slightly cheaper than in the US

by fax you ignorant american piggu

They don't have to pay for military expenditures because the US does that for them.