How come there's been ZERO innovation in fridge?

Attached: 1523343948544.jpg (1401x2592, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jn4Vhkmb4Lw
energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/10/f18/emt50_momen_042414.pdf
reviewed.com/refrigerators/features/haiers-prototype-is-the-future-of-refrigeration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

smart fridge with auto amazon groceries delivery
as needed when

also this obligatory image

Attached: file.png (480x270, 231K)

>touchscreen tablet on the door
>not the greatest innovation since the printing press

Yes, it has, in actually being a fridge and not a spyware window.

See Miele

Main feature of an icebox is to keep shit cold- there's not a lot to improve other than reliability and efficiency.

Saw this thing at home depot once though. It's an alright idea to reduce loss of cold air when constantly opening and closing for drinks.

Attached: door-in-door-open.png (463x768, 329K)

Why do you cunts want innovashun in everything? It works perfectly as is, I don't need any gimmicks. Fucking losers

Are you aware they recently added water in the doors of refrigerators?

Problem is fridges usually last about 10-15 years. The smart stuff in the door will be uselessly obsolete in 3.

Refrigerators used to last 30 years easily.

>opening and closing for drinks
>not meat
absolutely degenerate

pic related is my dream fridge
I will own it one day

Attached: 0004487_samsung-french-door-refrigerator-with-showcase-rf28k9380sg-826-l.jpg (1230x1230, 455K)

How often do you consume meat?
How often do you consume drinks?

i put my drinks outside the fridge

I too put my spaghetti in the freezer compartment.

You like warm beer? Gross.

k then...

>GUYS LOOK HOW COOL I AM I LOVE TO KILL MYSELF WITH COLD NEUROTOXINS

So did everything else.

>t.drinks warm coke with cold pasta

They were also energy hogs pretty sure the refrigerant they used is illegal now so even if you have an old fridge you cant do shit after it has a leak.

Literally how I grew up.

>you cant do shit after it has a leak.
You could fix it, and fill it with Mexican freon.

Well if you just so happen to get that stuff sure but in the end you're gonna be paying more just based on energy costs.

Yeah, I bet you're just the absolute shining example of perfect health, exercise and diet, aren't you? Fat fuck.

>you're gonna be paying more just based on energy costs.
Seems like it's cheaper to keep food cold overall, and it's faster to chill beverages though.

What? Your fridge never turns off its constantly running modern fridges are pretty damn energy efficient for a year you could be saving like 200-300 bucks a year just on energy alone.

Pffttt. Not being able to reach those cold fucking tem ps with modern fridges, and AC is not where I look to save a few bucks champ. I live in a desert, and I need all the ozone depleting freon that I can get.

t. retard

you realize older refrigerants are actually better at refrigerating? It's just like on automobiles. Freon was the best at making shit cold, but it's "harmful". R-134a is shit, as are the next iterations.

The efficiency gains come in with better electric pumps and motors.

Fuck you, and fuck nature you hippie faggot.

This guy gets it.

I know that but that doesn't stop modern fridges from being more energy efficient you faggot why not buy a modern fridge and set it up wit the illegal refrigerant?

This is what backtracking looks like.

Not the guy you've been arguing with, but the reason is you'd have to completely evacuate the system and pretty much rebuild the entire fridge.

New refrigerants require much higher pressure, so to reduce it you'd need to change the pumps, lines, everything. Then you'd have to gut all the "smart" electronics because they'd be completely pissed since they are no longer controlling the system.

My original point still stands I never argued that newer refrigerant is better just that newer fridges use less energy I don't give a damn if you like things to be colder just know that you are wasting energy and money for old tech. the only case where using the illegal refrigerant is smart is when using it on a car since yes it does cool better. You are mentally impaired if you believe your old fridge uses the same if not less energy than what is currently out there.

make a fridge more efficient by stopping the cold escaping when the door is open. maybe some kind of vending machine or one of those glove windows they use in nuclear laboritories to pass things through an airlock. you could also pump all the oxygen out or something, keep stuff fresher for longer. or just pump it all out and not bother with the cold? that would work wouldn't it?
i don't know i'm just an ideas man!
of course the most retarded thing you could do is slap a computer on the front.

>how 2 maek good?
>add computer?
>how computer make gud?
>hmmm don't know but do anyway
DUMB

Just like with new cars, the only way to keep from botnet such as always-connected cars and internet connected fridges with integrated electronics, as well as even "smart"/HE washing machines which die after two to three years is to buy the older, less efficient items.

>t. mid 2000s car, fully mechanical washer/dryer user and basic as fuck no-electronics fridge guy

What the fuck innovation could there possibly be in a fridge? I mean sure, it'll always be good to keep making them more and more efficient, but there's no revolutionary "we need to change the way we think about fridges" to be had there.

Attached: 1541543807108.png (200x311, 33K)

Fridge innovations:

Cold zone
Colder zones
Humid zone
No frost

My old refrigerator/freezer is actually cheaper to run than newer ones though (and I'm very energy conscious since I run solar), and I minimize ozone damage by just making more ozone with my coils when I'm purifying my drinking water.
It's all been taught you user. Literally the perfect crime.

That fridge's name, Albert Einstein.

*Thought out

Post proof

>Post proof
Nice try FBI.

not being a zoomer like you I've actually seen innovation on fridges. First we got smaller, less energy consuming systems. More quiet too.
Then we got "no frost". Even quieter systems. Then we got all that but for less money.
Later we got those meme displays no one cares about other than doing the things we already did but with knobs. That's pretty much it, leaving out small improvements like a better automatic ice cube thingy and better lights that last at least as much as the fridge itself. Now a small chart:

80s fridge:
-expensive
-loud af
-heavy af
-basically raped your power bill
-had to deal with frosting every few weeks
-stupid ass knobs that broke all the time
-stupid ass lightbulb that barely helped and needed to be replaced every few years
-stupid ass motor that broke at least once during its lifetime and needed a very expensive replacement
Today's fridge:
-quiet
-lighter
-power saving
-zero frosting
-touchscreen to deal with the fridge settings without even having to open it
-you don't even have to think about lighting
-you don't even have to think about the motor
-all that for way less than what a fridge used to cost

Now get your head out of your ass and stop making useles threads you fucking zoomer faggot

Beats drinking warm pasta.

you sir are a scholar and a gentleman

i salute you

I hate the fad of jamming “smart devices” inside of everything. Not everything needs to connect to WiFi.

>Not realizing that antique fridges from the 50's are relatively cheap to run.

Because they just work

Attached: carvinator.jpg (2016x1512, 666K)

>get smart fridge
>give it bad passwords to keep it off the wifi
>disable all the usual apps
>load a bunch of pictures of rotting food onto it and set them up into a slideshow to make my roommates eat less of what's in the fridge
>less frequent grocery runs, save money

was thinking that
and my nuts

based and chillpilled

Attached: 1544208047165.jpg (1442x1374, 201K)

can you survive a nuke in it?

>having a dream fridge
what a life

>can't keep my food fresh without using non-free fridge software

THE BOTNET WANTS ME TO STARVE

Attached: 1543987712604.png (1280x720, 864K)

Hey Inaba it's been a while

Ask Indy...

youtu.be/jn4Vhkmb4Lw

Attached: indyfridge.gif (500x199, 917K)

based and fridgepilled.

Anyone else keep socks, and undershirts in the fridge/freezer?
I highly recommend doing it for the warmer months.

No I'm not a yuropoor and can afford central air

That actually sounds kind of uncomfortable.

>Never outside
Forgot where I was posting.
>That actually sounds kind of uncomfortable.
Putting on a cold shirt when it's hot is the exact opposite friendo.

That's a whole lot of fridge estate for a single man, user.

Didn't GE announce Magnetocaloric refrigeration a while back? What's happening with that?

energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/10/f18/emt50_momen_042414.pdf

Attached: RotaryMagnetRefrig.jpg (216x411, 19K)

>not making your own peltier modified icebox controlled by a FOSS micro controller

I like how you put harmful in scare quotes like you actually think using that crap is a good idea.

As a refrigerant it works great. Granted, anhydrous ammonia is even better.

DUDE FUCK OZONE LMAO

Attached: 1525441308618.gif (500x500, 800K)

No, wtf, why

>Putting on a cold shirt when it's hot is the exact opposite friendo.
That's what they say about cold showers when it's hot too, but I can't stand them.

Nigger that old refrigerant was actually destroying our atmosphere, and ammonia will kill the fuck out of you if it leaks. 123a might not have the best heat moving properties, but it's by an enormous margin better than the alternatives for other reasons.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks user.

>fully mechanical washer/dryer
You wash and dry by hand?
>no-electronics fridge
You use a river to cool your food and drinks?

>that POS
>dream fridge
Samsung's 4 doors are awful. Either go gigantic built in Viking or stick to the traditional 3/4 door french door ones.

Attached: .jpg (4656x3710, 2.58M)

If I'm not mistaken, many modern refrigerators use cyclopentane instead of freon.

>Ozone
Just make more lul.

(Checked)
Yeah, my gf's not-exactly-young (15 years?) chest freezer proudly proclaims on the back that it uses Cyclopentane.

>literally a fraction of power usage
>no innovation

>500$+ in power bills alone

>monetary symbol after numbers

DUBS BTFO BY TRIPS

Attached: dubs.jpg (1252x704, 123K)

No, unironically.
Refrigerants and compresor had became more efficient (and non-ozone depleting).
Inverter drivers, which allow lower noise and much precise temperature control.

Yes, but Freon is brand-name, like xerox or Dremel.

>15 year old gf
Livin’ the dream Mohomad.

But obviously, the freezer is 15ish, not her.

Attached: 1543781687158.jpg (389x597, 37K)

>ZERO innovation
Explain? Since when? What benchmark are you using here?

Refrigerators have seen vast innovation in industrial and home implementation over the decades. Modern fridges use a fraction of the energy that new fridges used just 2 decades ago, with vastly reduced polluting by products during production and when ready for the dump. Compared to the crap from the 1950s, they are barely even the same technology anymore.

It has you dum dum, look at fridges from 1900 and now. We are so much more efficient the materials we use are superior to 100 years ago, the mechanisms etc.

Also, $40 starting price for something that used to be equivalent of $4000 100 years ago. Or in other words, your year's salary for a cold box running on propane.

I'd not say that fraction, but good 20-30% increase in chooch factor.
But modern fridges aren't skookum, since they don't last for 60+ year.

There's thermodynamical limits to efficiency

GE isn't in the appliance bis anymore. They sold the division and naming rights/logo to some other company.

LOL WE ARE BETTER NOW COMPARE TO 100 YEARS AGO

You understand how long ago that is? For that long, it is given that we should make leap and bound progress on something as trivial as a fridge. The thing now is has the technology for it hit a wall.

Im sure at some point Cryogenic freezing for space traveling and whatnot will trickle down and elevates fridge tech just like how everything has from military techs.

Smart fridges need to die. If I need to buy shit I'll just do it the old way; pen and paper. Cheaper and less shit that will break.

It's Haier now reviewed.com/refrigerators/features/haiers-prototype-is-the-future-of-refrigeration

>wasting huge amount of space around that fridge
shiggy

i mean the unnecessarily thick wall around that fridge

>Im sure at some point Cryogenic freezing for space traveling and whatnot will trickle down and elevates fridge tech just like how everything has from military techs.
Maybe, maybe not. The thing about technology "trickling down" from early use by military or other sufficiently motivated players with deep pockets is that there has to be a certain practicality to it and for the manufacturing and/or materials required to be mass producible.

How do you sell it to the public?

Attached: cyclopentane01.png (502x481, 18K)