/wdg/ - Web Development General

Revamping the OP edition. What should be added, what should be removed?

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
theodinproject.com/ - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, Ruby on Rails, and SQL
hackr.io - collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_old_sony.jpg (1216x732, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

the3gi.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6CUkswsNw
pastebin.com/wer9J5Be
github.com/h5bp/Front-end-Developer-Interview-Questions
overreacted.io
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>imagine doing web development

Attached: lmao.jpg (1041x1041, 295K)

>actually implying anyone based, woke and redpilled enough to own and use a Sony NEWS would waste their time on brainlet web shit

Attached: 1448322135227.png (772x1025, 53K)

>imagine making 50% less and working 100% harder as a C dev and mocking web devs

>3 posts in 2 hours
>all shitposts

Attached: 92f42e4c83f6a97db7e7fcfacffbb371.jpg (600x900, 175K)

I know, fucking aussies.

Is it me or is Elm tedious to write simple functionality with
I'm trying it out and pic related is literally just to get the length of an example array

>Declare a list of strings
>Write list definition
>Declare function that accepts list of strings and returns an Int
>Write function's job that returns an Int.
>Declare another function that returns the result of running the list into the previous function.
>Write this new function's job
>Declare yet another function that returns a string
>Write this function's job too
Now you're finally ready to print out fucking "3"

Attached: length.png (453x331, 43K)

Is TenserFlow.Js the same shit as the one for Python? If i pirate take an Udemy tf course from python will it all work the same way?

Attached: 1543331741266.jpg (960x958, 215K)

I've been digging into TF(Python) and from what I see from the TF.js docs the answer is pretty much yes, but ML in JS is pigshit retarded.

Do you guys close ports on your website?

Close every port and whitelist those you need.

>imagine being overvalued for shitty, low quality work and feeling proud of it

hey guys, I am trying to host my python projects on my website and I've came to a bit of an impasse.

I'm using google app engine and webapp2. It's going smoothly for the most part except that it seems like I have to nest my html inside a self.response.write statement

which is ridiculous. i found some documentation about using a template but, I can't get it to work.

#!/usr/bin/env python2
import webapp2
from google.appengine.ext.webapp import template

class MainPage(webapp2.RequestHandler):
def get(self):
path = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), 'index.html')
self.response.headers["Content-Type"] = "text/html"
self.response.out.write(template.render(path))

routes = [('/', MainPage)]

my_app = webapp2.WSGIApplication(routes, debug=True)

is this right? is there something special meant to go in my html? because its just a header right now and then an unordered list

i've never even heard of webapp. if you want more support use a popular framework like flask

rate my note taking web app

paste it in the URL bar and then you can write text on the screen

data:text/html,

will this get me a 6 figure job?

Attached: 1546414813752s.jpg (200x200, 3K)

>Day 42
>18 days until launch

UI Redesign is coming along nicely.
Need a light background color for the cards to sit on top of.

The company colors are orange, black & green, thinking of going night theme or some shit, idk.

Going to start the onboarding task list and simulate first couple clients, trying to anticipate where things will go to shit.

Attached: newui.png (860x1496, 433K)

Weed guy?

yep, if its UI is still shit, tell me now before I get attached.

UI's fine. Keep us posted, it's the most interesting thing happening in this shit general.

DUDE

>new year
>mfw just got my first comfy web dev job
this is going to be a good year fampaitachi

Attached: 6.jpg (844x1200, 225K)

#dqu {
border: 1px solid red;
width: 4%;

}

.onr:hover #dqu {
border: 1px solid grey;

}

Home
Forum
contact
Forum 1

why isn't "forum 1" changing border colors when i hover over "forum"?

Thanks man, already turned down an early buyout offer of six figures so here's hoping it isn't a sad ending to the story.

Once I finish customer side order tracking I'm hoping to nudge an UberEats or SkiptheDishes to buy me out.

What's your stack anyway?

Typescript 2.9
Ionic v3
Angular 6
Redux
Node.Js
Express
Mongoose
MongoDB

>inb4 meme stack

color combination looks nice, nothing extraordinary but some of your icons are too big.

>ionic
>angular
Why do you hate your life, user?

Back when I was a junior java developer I checked out Indeed for the highest paying job in Toronto.

I then went full autist, printed out and read the entire documentation for Ionic & Angular cover to cover a few times.

Yeah React and Go is flavour of the month but my development speed is off the charts since I don't have to spend any time Googling, it's just as fast as I can type.

But really the primary reason I hate my life is the weather in this fucking frozen tundra wastehole of a country. And democrats.

>change .onr:hover #dqu to .onr:hover ~ #dqu
>use code tags
>???
>PROFIT

there isnt any countries without Democrats shutting things up desu. Unless you want third world. I guess Russia might be okay

>java developer
Well if you don't like the cold weather you can always go back to your home country of India.

Yeah I'm buying a Yacht and sailing for Monaco.

Blonde hair blue eyes, hitlers favourite here, no pajeets

Sounds...great?

How do I use javascript on wordpress? Can I use Jquery for everything a "normal" js website can?
pls no bully

noob here, what are these for?

correct me if i'm wrong

>Typescript 2.9 (???)
>Ionic v3 (for the mobile app?)
>Angular 6 (for the mobile app?)
>Redux (???)
>Node.Js (??)
>Express (to make an API of some sort)
>Mongoose (???)
>MongoDB (database that stores weed info?)

How do I place an image anywhere on my website? I already tried using top and left with position absolute but this is garbage and changes depending on the device res, i'm trying to get a result like here : the3gi.com/

>Typescript 2.9 - It's like Javascript and Java had a baby. Speedy development with classes and strictly typed for error catching ahead of time.
>Ionic v3 - Allows me to build cross platform web application that can also be deployed to native devices, also providers wrapper access to cordova for things like opening phones camera or automatically calling a number
>Angular 6 - Framework for Model View Controller and a bunch of nice little things to speed up development, directives are crazy useful.
>Redux - Complex data management in a single source of truth
>Node.Js - Backend for writing endpoints to send data to my database or retrieve data
>Express (to make an API of some sort)
>Mongoose - Makes it very quick to access models in my database, especially powerful with async & await ES5
>MongoDB - database, non relational but very fast to develop new models and make on the fly changes.

I also make heavy use of the latest new shit from ES5 & ES6 + Rxjs.

I've done a similar project with PhoneGap. It was very difficult. Good job having the willpower necessary to see it through. On mine, I was about a month from finishing, and 3 months from launch, before a competitor launched. I don't play if i'm not ftm.

congratulations user

Attached: happy.jpg (1435x992, 225K)

yes check in theme folder
add it in footer.php

seems very complicated desu

how many years of exp you got? 5 years or something?

Bloat: the full stack 2
Return if the webdev

Enjoy your dollarydoos.

A little bit of wisdom. If your place is mentally draining and you go home tired every day and they treat you like dog shit then just stay there for 3 months and then blast out your resume on ziprecruiter.

I built my first web app at 9 years old for neopets with vb6 and a httpwrapper. Never really stopped.

About 13 years total now, 5 professional, 2 as director of engineering.

Turning 26 soon.

How can we compete?

Attached: 73CA58786DCA408E931A6C6FE2B9A39C.jpg (1000x983, 98K)

;_;7

Min max your life, vanilla wow was way harder than irl.

That isn't complicated at all. That's like the bare minimum if you're at any legit business.

>Blonde hair blue eyes
Lobotomized and insecure; you can fuck off back to whatever country you came from.

t. upset shitskin

I got pretty lucky in the genetics lottery, just rng man take it easy.

every time i visit neocities i have an existential crisis
hipster furries and pages from years ago. i always think "oh, i'll just make a little page!" and then just spend an age just looking at all these pages and going "very pretty, shame you're a freak" in my head while lamenting that all my personal development goals - of the same age as neocities - have failed. i am still a horrible person.

it wasn't supposed to be like this
not for neocities
not for me

the web was supposed to be fun again.

thanks a lot, i never read about ~.

Fellas, help me out, I got a frontend interview in a few hours where I'll have to create a landing page based on a .psd

I forgot if display: inline-block counts the margin as part of the total width, or if it only counts the length of the element, padding itself.

Few hours?
Take 30 minutes, find a design for landing page and see how fast you can recreate it.

Study whatever takes you longer than 2 minutes to think about.

fucking wizard mate

I really like my coworkers actually and they treat me nice than I would treat then. I'm just doing css fixes for the next few weeks. I wouldn't call this mentally draining but it's what the new guy has to do. I go home feeling satisfied because I have a job but not overworked or abused because I think they pay me well enough. I'll probably leave in a year or two though for a bigger company

Attached: itGUpgMQamYYX7-gehBgdfpPQEHB16VdZETEKApS68K_KIfaJV7JqCs2wi37pRbD71xbULpdxnW_8eSgqCjg1vtMJPh2AVDCuTI5 (480x270, 17K)

He's doing it with a big div that has margin:0 auto; for centering the wrapper, then inside of it he places more divs that contain images, the images have a position relative dictated in pixels and a z-index for displaying them on top and behind other images.

UI improvements, I like the feel of the flipping.

Still got to redesign this horrific button array for all the small functionality on the back side of the order cards.

Whatever, feels like a real app so getting closer.

I might just offer an analytics tie in or iframe their analytics or some shit, I can't be fucked making charts right now.

White space above the order is giving me anxiety. Fix it later I guess.

Difficult to make fast progress today, shopping for vacation and pinched a nerve in my left arm from working out/typing like an autist so it's therapist & physio back to back for next couple hours.

Touching up the live dashboard or whatever its called where it shows all orders on the map, need it to be cleaner after I fucked it by redesigning UI to cards.

Attached: flippyfinal.gif (320x558, 3.47M)

do you have to do any algorithmic thinking for this app? OR it's just implementing direct features?

e.g. shortest path between 2 cities

p.s that's two way proxy SMS, every message goes through our automated line so no driver phone numbers are ever leaked. Customers can respond and have their driver get a notification and update to the conversation.

I got another in the works where you can type a message like "hey bitch im here" and you'll have a robotic voice call the dude and say it like microsoft sam for people with landlines.

There is a shitty 'AI' which can auto assign orders based on a simple equation of current order load, order timeline, and final destination plus taking into consideration if any of the drivers waypoints are nearby.

It's not perfect but human dispatch does pretty much the same thing

I think your whole weed idea is awesome, but i would be concerned with the selling part (never done it before btw).

how do you even sell this? like a saas with multiple pricing tiers ?

do you send them the repo with the code??

i would afraid if people stole my code

why would they buy you out if they already have the tech? Sorry i know im missing something here, good work btw.

It's legal in Canada now.

Weedmaps is 500m valuation with same clients, I actually target weedmaps clients since I integrate with their service to have the product line available on the website.

I offer a web application they login to. Just duplicate my droplet and reconfiguration.

Multiple pricing tiers I'm guessing with week long free trial since it's a bitch to go back after you use it.

I may charge per driver too for extra shekkles.

Whole point is a buyout regardless not too concerned just need a user base.

The first person I did a sales demo for tried to buy it for exclusive usage since it makes any company that has it appear to be on same level as the OCS.ca

They simply didn't want the competition to have it. They also did like 200k revenue a month.

Is anyone that posts here a web developer? I’m from Jow Forums and most that post there are noguns so I don’t know if that’s a dumb question or not.
I’m looking to change careers into web dev (from finance), any recommendations for new people? Things to stay away from?

So far I’ve done FCC and I’m currently auditing a handful of coursera classes.

Congrats user. What did you do to get a job?

It is a dumb question. Yes, there are web developers here.

Just go learn the basics of HTML/CSS/JS; follow the OP links. The best teacher is practice, so follow a tutorial on building your first page. I recommend:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6CUkswsNw

Very simple for beginners.

The good thing about doing it this way first, is you will understand things just by creating the page that will make your journey easier when reading actual documents because you already created a page. Even if it's not that great.

After that just keep polishing your html/css/js (JS specifically is where the programming begins) skills, and when you feel comfortable enough to use all of them in a project, you can start exploring frameworks (again, follow OP).

Also as a good beginner practice, switch to a Linux OS (Ubuntu if you're new, I guess) and start using GitHub to store your projects. Those last 2 are a bonus, companies like when you know it. But if you feel it's too difficult, then focus on only webdev for now.

Anyway, go program stuff.

The most important thing is being able to build stuff.

e.g. build me a website where users can upload music and share with their friends in their feed
e.g. build me a small social network for people that love guns.
e.g. make a small shop where i can buy AK, 9mm, .308, etc

Only then you will be able to apply for jobs since you'll be doing the same thing as when you we're learning.

Learn the basics first and go from there

Attached: images.jpg (208x242, 8K)

Repostan /wdg/ resources I gathered.
pastebin.com/wer9J5Be

Attached: 1545006738582.jpg (720x669, 28K)

>0 vs NULL
what about undefined?

React or Vue?

Doesn't matter.

Thanks guys

well I was a neet for a couple of years after graduating with a liberal arts degree that I dont want to talk about. And then my family told me to get a job so tried to get into programming just because all my friends were programmers.

Did freecodecamp web dev and react, made some react projects and put them on my resume. No particular reason for React, just the buzzword I fell for. Also took a while to learn javascript, algorithms and practice whiteboarding. So my studying period was maybe like 8+ months. I live with my parents though so I had a lot of free time.

Then when I felt ready I tried going to networking events and even hackathons to make friends. Got a few phone interviews at best but never anything more. Literally all my onsite interviews I got through spamming Indeed or LinkedIn, also never wrote a cover letter. One day I get a response on Indeed asking for an immediate onsite. The lead dev liked my React project and style but axtually hired me as a junior Angular dev and that's about it. Been here for a couple of weeks but no major work yet. Pretty happy with the results considering this is my first job ever and I'm self taught.

For anyone who is job searching right now, my best advice is to just never give up. This means do everything you can though, like if you have free time then hit the job boards.Do it on your phone. Everyday. It took me almost a year to get this job because I would slack off for weeks at a time and even wasted the entire summer. You'll be fine if you try but you have to try

>Also as a good beginner practice, switch to a Linux OS (Ubuntu if you're new, I guess) and start using GitHub to store your projects. Those last 2 are a bonus, companies like when you know it. But if you feel it's too difficult, then focus on only webdev for now.
how does using linux help you as a webdeveloper

i have made several websites and dont's see where it would benefit you

Example number 1, adding 2 lines of CSS to 150 CSS files in one go with bash.

so, shortcuts?

?

Linux (in general, more so than Windows) utilises command line more.
The OS itself is heavily integrated into the web dev world, as hosts tend to use it frequently. Since it tends to be cheaper/more secure (read: harder for newbies to fuck up) as well.

But aside from that, I feel the true power of Linux comes from the essence of the OS itself. It *forces* you to explore the OS, spending time in a terminal will get you in a coding mind much faster than GUI. Using shell requires you to remember/know syntax. I think Linux just rewards a user that wishes to learn from it. Coming from windows myself I've learned a lot from using multiple distros.

(You can do the same thing in Windows, but Linux was designed for this. Nothing wrong with developing on Windows, tho. Also learn it just because knowledge is power.)

I don't know what I'm talking about when I say this, but I've heard like 90% of interenet servers run on Linux. Setting up your backend in that language would give you a closer experience to your end user case.

I am learning Django and it seems pretty comfy, i am fucking myself for trying to learn Python for backend?

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

anecdotal but lots of companies use python backend. Worst case scenario you also learn node

I know a bit of Node and my university is Micro$oft oriented so i will learn .Net and C#, wanted to pick up a second universal language so i will not be restricted to C#, and i choose python seeing as its growing fast as fuck (thanks machine learning)

can you afford a ferrari 812 superfast?

what's the best place to go for learning how to make decent login/session systems with php?

About to have a technical interview on the phone in about 2 hours, it's for a Jr Front End dev. What questions or exercises should I expect? I already know of Fizzbuzz and whatever.

Google "how to make decent login/session systems with php" and see the first links

read and weep

github.com/h5bp/Front-end-Developer-Interview-Questions

I honestly dont think I ever did fizzbuzz on a technical interview. Maybe online technical. Just bee yourself senpai and make sure to over communicate

why are you declaring all those redundant functions? just do artist_list |> List.length |> String.fromInt or something

I've looked at these resources, and they kinda need one to be online most of the time.
I know this might sound ironic, but are there any recommended books where I could learn from basic html to javascript/php level (ie employability) so I could learn without needing to be online?

Yes, there's this thing called download your documents.

Angular

Flask

> What excites or interests you about coding?
Looking yearnfully out my window, wishing I could work outside, that I could run, be free. It makes me excited that one day I can transcend wagecuckdom and have a life that isnt dictated by this small screen in front of my face...someday.

I'm building a blog using react, node, and express, what's the most painless database I can go with?

Attached: 1492406839339.jpg (1148x917, 155K)

I should blow you

No database. Just static site generation with a bunch of markdown files and Gatsby :^)

For example here's one that Dan, that React guy did using Gatsby.
overreacted.io