They fixed windows 10 font rendering

Attached: Untitled.png (1917x1007, 702K)

????????
where wat how what update?

literally any font rendering looks acceptable at that dpi

too bold, though, and yer jp font is garbage

Latest patch people kept putting off.
>too bold
It's using all of the pixel power to display text instead of colourful edges.

is it in kb notes or something?

Dunno, just woke up, browsed some and noticed the text is actually pretty nice all of a sudden.
Updated my 8.1 and 7 machines and there's no change there. W10 just handles font rendering in userspace, so it's probably only here.

>instead of colourful edges
>doesn't know what lcd filtering was for
>thinks that lower-quality font rendering on a higher DPI screen is a "fix"
If you did this at a lower DPI you would have problems. LCD filtering is useful on lower DPI screens. Microsoft didn't fix anything, they just rode the wave of not enough people caring about their shitty font rendering for long enough that monitors just got high DPI enough where they could stop trying.
And that's what they did here, they just gave up and turned off their pitiful attempt at hinting or LCD filtering on high DPI monitors because for them it actually looks better than the garbage they had before.

look terrible

pic related is much better

Attached: 6790876789876.png (1920x1080, 799K)

That looks jagged. What on earth did you do to get that?

nothing this is default 8.1

Microsoft should have just folded long ago on this and used freetype font rendering with a decent configuration.
Even the freetards can do a better job at font rendering than microsoft's finest code monkeys.

Jagged, washed out edges, and overly bold kanji.
Only works on windows and windows apps (Op pic was Edge) for some fucking reason.
Here's chrome canary. What the fuck?

Attached: Untitled.png (1919x989, 684K)

Chome(ium)(/webengine) has retarded font rendering across platforms. They're basically as bad if not worse than Microsoft. No idea why they do it themselves.

>as bad as Microsoft
Okay whats wrong with MS

For us tightfags who don't feel like spending more than $50 for a monitor, our DPI is in the 90 to 120 range and at those levels good clean font rendering is difficult. Most people don't notice it but for those that do it's fucking triggering. What I want is nice consistent spacing, edges which aren't blurred, diagonals which still look crisp, all on a monitor which is almost technically too crap to support that. And as such, it requires good hinting, good fonts, good lcd filtering, and lots of other well implemented tricks to get text looking good, windows just seems to fail on almost all fronts on these. Not badly enough that the usual non-font-sperg will notice but badly enough to make the average fontfag to cry themselves to sleep. For us font retards even going back to bitmap font rendering is usually preferable to poorly antialised font rendering but windows somehow manages even to fuck up bitmap fonts really badly.
On a higher DPI display you don't really notice these mistakes and it's much easier to get fonts to look pretty without lots of dirty tricks.
Thinking about it, maybe being a tightfag fontfag is just a recipe for disaster. I should be a good consumer and buy myself a pair of proper monitors as a late Christmas present.

>blah blah blah i can't afford a better experience so instead i get a shittier one blah blah blah

christ, listening to povertyfags is tiring as fuck. no wonder the rothschilds hate the rest of humanity

Uhhh why don't you uhmmm get a better monitor from a flea market??
Does this honestly look better than OP to you?

Attached: Untitled.png (1919x1005, 669K)

>>blah blah blah i can't afford a better experience so instead i get a shittier one blah blah blah
I can afford better monitors. But I prefer to invest my money into other things... like a car... or a house... or a wife... or children.

You don't get to say that if you waste time kvetching over low-tech problems

Not him but yes, it does. Much smoother edges on all of the text.

>investing money
>on a car

Looks terrible

Fucking PRANKED.
It's OP's pic just with a subtle global blur filter.

How does this look worse?

It looks like it has chromatic aberration all over

>haha I made it look better fucking GOTCHA

Oh, I thought that was just a bad image.

to be honest OP kanjis look better

The DPI is too high to really tell (you could also just ask for a smaller font) but certainly edges look more crisp in the more common case. There are still fuck-ups around how coloured and bold text is displayed.
Kanji still look crap but to be fair there are no good fonts for this and I would just use a good sans-serif bitmap font at smaller sizes.
I can bitch all I want, I am waiting for a long-running task to complete and I'm working.
A used car, I certainly paid less in total for it than some first-time-drivers pay for insurance. And this is the UK where insurance cost me as much as the car (and that was considered very cheap compared to what other people I know got quoted).
And sure, it's not an investment where you get literal money out of it but it saves a hell of a lot of time and the convenience is worth it for me.
How would a subtle global blur turn #21212121 into #232386?
A blur should also cause bleeding but I can't find any.
It's entirely possible that you doctored the original somehow but I don't see how it would have been a blur. Some kind edge-detected whitening maybe? Nothing I try in gimp seems to mimic the effect if there was one.

>gimp
I'm using photoshop. God you literally spent minutes toying around in gimp, jesus some people.
>too high
No, the DPI is on. fucking. point. I happen to not have a 1300x700 12" display.

Heck, even the JPEG artefacts in the images are untouched. I call complete bullshit on this "global blur" theory. This was at the very least selectively applied.
I'm not saying that the DPI is a bad DPI. I am saying that the DPI is too high for it to make sense to judge font quality because at the resolution you'll see the image at, you won't even notice.
>I happen to not have a 1300x700 12" display.
I should really just stop complaining and get a higher DPI display, but having good font rendering on low DPI displays is what we're discussing in this thread. It just doesn't matter as much on higher DPI displays.

>This was at the very least selectively applied.
That's.... how photoshop works. There's an optimisation setting in the options menu to figure out what you're trying to do and make it better. Studies the image with AI.
OH but... I don't think GIMP has that yet huh. LOL

> I'm using photoshop

Attached: 1535579256645.jpg (640x480, 293K)

Yeah yeah, keep making shit up.
Pic related.
Regarding gimp: I don't know how to use photoshop and you don't know how to use gimp. There, settled. Now stop being a mong, I have no interest in giving adobe a dime and at this point I have no interest in learning how to use photoshop.

Attached: fuck you.png (1919x1005, 427K)

Oh, and this was AFTER re-aligning the images. Which was a pretty good giveaway to begin with.

Dude what is that? Stop touching options you don't understand.

I am sorry but the android is the winner here

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-02.png (2560x1600, 1.13M)

It's a difference between the two images. The highlights speak for themselves. I was going to play spot the difference but then I realised gimp has a feature to do it for you.

That's just higher resolution. Still fuzzy all round.

That looks so fucking creepy

>Even the freetards can do a better job at font rendering than microsoft's finest code monkeys.
HAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1515020624005.jpg (329x329, 14K)

?

ctrl+kp0 you philistines
I don't want to see comparisons with your shitty zoomed in garbage

It's just high DPI displays. These people somehow still don't understand that higher DPI means that small imperfections in font rendering aren't as noticeable.

>open browser
>look at web page
>WOW WINDOWS MAKES THE TEXT LOOK BAD
Really? Not the browser?
How dumb is Jow Forums exactly?

With chrome it's the browser. With firefox and edge they use the native font rendering.
t. fontfag

lol poorfags

Attached: proper.png (3104x1888, 661K)

Wow what distro is that that looks perfect

Since Mac OS replaced its default Lucida Grande to muh Helvetica, it has become soulless in my eyes.

Chrome has always had absurdly bad text rendering.

that's extremely little content for that resolution

It's been fixed since 2016. Keep up with the LTSC releases, grandpa.

>too bold
that's on windows 7 as well, it's ass

1 free tard btfo a multimillion corporation
how winlets even compete

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-02 German Revolution of 1918–19 - Wikipedia-or8.png (1642x907, 113K)

doubt it
it surely uses some debian tier freetype version

Opinions Jow Forumsentlemen?
I am using the infinality-ultimate patches.

Attached: fonts.png (1556x688, 183K)

Based. Clear winner ITT

>buy a 25' 4K display
>no need to fuck around with retarded font renderers as pretty much anything looks fine as fuck
200% scaling works perfectly.

Attached: Untitled.png (3840x2100, 1.65M)

>white background

Attached: eyes-54a6fcb3b8618.jpg (1226x936, 310K)

enjoy eye fatigue

Attached: umad.png (2246x1165, 782K)