So this company decided to give Linux the benefit of doubt

Linux results:

20% of auto reported crashes and support tickets (most gfx driver related)

twitter.com/bgolus/status/1080213166116597760

Attached: image.jpg (819x614, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-screenshots
pngquant.org/
replicant.us
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>make a shitty port that won't run
>blame the OS

>no drivers
>blame the driver companies
>no professional software
>blame the professional software companies
>crashes other people's code
>blame other people's code
Linux "people" are the worst.

>Linux uses we're a big vocal part of the Kickstarter and forums
>In the end they accounted for

>expecting free as in gratis freetards to ever pay for anything

Didn't you know, all games must be open source and gratis. That way, under Stallman's definitions, I can write my own hacks and win all the matches.

John Carmack basically said the same thing 15 years ago when id was the only real game dev supporting linux. Something like 'We sell millions of copies on windows, hundreds of thousands on mac and dozens on linux, and linux has by far the most problems. We're only supporting it because I'm stubborn about it.'
IIRC, more recently he said that companies should spend any effort they would on a native linux port on improving wine to run their software better instead.

>wine
Aaand suddenly it gets replaced by another meme and all that time was for the pigs. Linux just isn't worth it, people don't know how to take advantage of freedom.

Well yeah... What's wrong with blaming the responsible party exactly? Do you not understand logic?

Which company, what benefit of the doubt? Do you realize that Linux is dominating every market besides desktop?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
>20% of auto reported crashes and support tickets (most gfx driver related)

Nothing, GNU/Linux is the responsible party. The entire purpose of operating systems is to provide and guarantee a valid environment for userspace apps.

Lol, so you really don't understand logic. Fair enough, that explains your ramblings.

>gratis kernel dominates expensive use cases
Wow.
The only market that matters and makes money, desktop, is not owned by Linux and that's okay. I mean, some phones have Linux, but it's butchered and spliced with proprietary blobs so there goes that idea.

If the church of stallman weren't autistic little shits, they'd strive to perfect or replace Wine.

Nobody is going to abandon windows development.

That's your real chance to kill Windows.

A layer that seamlessly run its apps.

It really is as simple as
>Windows = videogames, adobe, etc
>Linux = no videogames, no adobe, etc
If Linux can't make deals with companies and make the magic happen, it's to blame. Everything else is just whiny engineers.

Worked for OS/2

>what is executing the game logic on a remote server

Attached: brainletpit.png (1416x1600, 606K)

>rewriting your entire game for a scam OS

>it's linux's job toe port other peoples proprietary softwaer
>making a shittily designed game then complain that you have to rewrite it to make it not shit

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 77K)

>port
Why doesn't Linux natively support .exe, the most popular executable format in windows?
>design
I make what I want, it's your fault for braking it.

Overall, I see no reason people should treat Linux as a replacement to windows, it's too different. Leave it be until Linux develops its own complete abstraction layer.

The solution is obviously to hire one engineer per linux customer, so you can debug all their xorg.conf files.

uhm what if they use wayland

lrn2screenshot fgt

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-screenshots

pngquant.org/

>Why doesn't Linux natively support .exe, the most popular executable format in windows?
>being this braindead
kek, gotta love windows 'users'

>shitpost
there is nothing other
wine runs even what windows doesn't

Linux is just too fragmented between distros and shit. Just make game compatible with CentOS (It was many times mentioned here that it is used to render CGI thus should be an ok platform for graphics), write it in system requirements and thats it. If someone wants to run on other distro then this becomes his problem, give them "install a recommended system before asking for support" treatment.

>Why doesn't Linux natively support .exe, the most popular executable format in windows?
they only make windows systems calls so no other operating system can run them you moron. Microsoft does not tell anyone how their garbage works so it takes a lot effort to get them running in Wine.

stallman doesn't care about your apps
he cares about your freedom, manchild

>suddenly it gets replaced by another meme
lolwat?

Useless post.
Like what, old games? Use a wrapper like glide or dgvoodoo. Boom.
Legacy crapware that didn't conform to windows API specifications and is already replaced? Hmm.
That's the point. Why would I use Linux to emulate a windows experience and run windows apps when it's a different system? People waste their time trying to make Linux what it isn't, then blame other people for their failures.

Everybody already has abandoned windows development because all the dumb normies who use windows don't use desktop computers anymore. The only thing that still gets released for windows is gaymes.

>he cares
He's a lonely old fat dude who hasn't written code in 2 decades. He doesn't care about anything other than grabbing the paycheck for the next useless talk.

Industrial automation is windows.

Ohhhh that's why windows xp has more users than Linux.

>Like what
anything not made for windowns10
>games
yeh i knew it

>Legacy crapware that didn't conform to windows API specifications and is already replaced? Hmm.
Hmm indeed, literally the only thing windows was good for was backward compatibility for old windows software. Now they can't even do that properly.
>B-but winders 10 listens to my voice commands!
Nice feature faggot!

>Windows = videogames, adobe, etc
>GNU = no videogames, no adobe, etc
FTFY

it's' art, it's a jewish thing you won't understand

So I guess I'm dreaming every time I launch old software huh.
What doesn't work for you?

he just told you all the normees went to smart phones
guess what android is

>android
proprietary OS that happens to partially use an old, forked version of a gratis kernel.

idk i haven't used windowns in some time but fyi every time i had tried to use that run in previous version of windowns it didn't help, at all

>android
>proprietary

Just run the compatibility troubleshooter or google some easy fix. Linux doesn't even have a troubleshooter.
>>proprietary
Yes, proprietary. Every single phone on the planet comes with binary blobs. You can't even build android without binary blobs.

Lots of old hardware, inluding printers, gamepads, wifi dongles etc won't have drivers available for windows 10, for some reason windows 10 decided to make windows 7 drivers not work under 10. Funnily enough a lot of these things will run fine under linux.

Thanks for letting us know you aren't employed

Attached: 1540309634613.jpg (800x450, 45K)

>Yes, proprietary. Every single phone on the planet comes with binary blobs. You can't even build android without binary blobs.
replicant.us

All Xinput-supporting gamepads work fine because windows 10 supports Xinput. Xinput is the standard api for gamepads.
I mena, I'm literally running on my laptop's windows 8 (not 8.1) drivers, only in windows 10. Everything's fine.

>Just run the compatibility troubleshooter or google some easy fix. Linux doesn't even have a troubleshooter.
what a shit comment
>just do this that he just told you doesn't work or doodle for some easy fix that won't exist
>implying linux is the one broken when it's the one that werks
rly kys

>partially use
Please explain what you mean by partially. Does Ubuntu partially use the kernel as well?
>old
Hmm, not the very newest, sure, but my phone runs kernel 4.4, I don't think it's that old. It's definitely newer than any NT kernel.
>forked version
Do you even know what forking is?

I don't know what problems they have.
They seem to play the 'driver' blame-game, but if they stick to some opengl core profile, there simply wouldn't be that many problems.

This is entirely because of Ubuntu's ancient drivers and the hoops you have to jump through to get them updated and functional.

manufacturer's blobs don't make the os proprietary, the device is

>"We eventually laid out a guide with known good versions of Linux and graphics drivers, but it didn't matter. Part of the allure of Linux is the customizability, so few actually stuck to it, and generally wanted to run the game on older hardware we didn't support."
So, the problem was the retarded Linux userbase.

>shit comment
It's an objective fact.
>hating on google
You're the one using legacy software. I mean, the troubleshooter does a fine job 99.9% of the time. Don't act like Linux isn't Google: The OS.
>partially
It contains code not found in current master branch Linux.
>4.4
yeah sure. even if I believe that, almost all stock and custom roms run on 3.x
>is?
yeah
The entire package is proprietary, you cannot make a usable OS+kernel without proprietary blobs.
>the device
The device is just hardware.

>I found a gamepad that works on my machine!
Good for you, still, tere's a ton of hardware that windows 10 simply will not recognize. Even after searching for obfuscated error codes and generalized answers clearly written by pajeets on badly maintained forums.

>they'd strive to perfect or replace Wine
Wine is being developed faster than ever, and it's not even a GNU project in the first place, you fucking retard.

>but >20% of auto reported crashes and support tickets (most gfx driver related)
>(most gfx driver related)
yeah, that sounds about right

>ton of hardware
Like what?
>found a gamepad
Xinput is developed by Microsoft for Xbox. It's a way to tell manufacturers "So long as your device interfaces Xinput, it will work". Every xbox controller and xbox-like controller (Logitech F-series) uses Xinput.
Devices that don't use xinput are some rare Chinese ripoffs and honestly those people deserve to get assfucked.

>It contains code not found in current master branch Linux.
So adding code means partial use? That's an odd definition.
>almost all stock and custom roms run on 3.x
They don't, you're a retard.
>yeah
Then explain what you mean by 'forked version'.

>odd definition
I mean if I just slap the latest Linux kernel and build a custom ROM, it will fail laughably. There.
>They don't
Hm, never seen a statistic?
>explain
See 1)

>literally nothing objective
>It's an objective fact.

>The entire package is proprietary, you cannot make a usable OS+kernel without proprietary blobs.
that's not the os' fault, which also happens to not be proprietary

>not the os' fault
Great, so we don't count android smartphones as Linux usecases because it's not the 'real Linux experience'?

>I mean if I just slap the latest Linux kernel and build a custom ROM, it will fail laughably. There.
lmao man, you really have no clue wtf you're talking about, do you?

> developed faster than ever, and it's not even a GNU project in the first place, you fucking retard.
Bullshit, unless you ironically say "faster than ever" by saying it went from 0 to 1% speed.

e.g. you can even run DS4Windows properly.

That would be an enormous help because if you make one HID-oriented app work fully, dozens of others will work which is very important for controllers, gaming, and other HID usages.

Hm, not an argument.

>Hm, never seen a statistic?
I have 3 android phones myself, they're all on 4.x by now. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

True, I'm questioning your mental stability.

how do you manage do make each and every post of yours so cock shit
it is literally more ''linux'' than gnu/linux

>The only market that matters and makes money, desktop
Uh, what? There is no money in desktops. Even phones are worth more as a market. The real money is in enterprise server equipment.

>the 'real Linux experience'
What even is that? Linux is a kernel. Android runs on it.

My nokia 7.1 that just came out is on 3.18. My laptop is on 4.12. Despite this, most android phones are not running android 9 or 8, hence they are not even running the latest possible kernel.

Oops. Android runs its own line of modified Linux.

>waah it doesn't work with this very specific windows-only program, so IT'S NOT BEING DEVELOPED!!!!!!!!
kys retard, or at least try going back to

Linux: It's never our faultâ„¢

What distro still runs 4.12? I'm on ubuntu and even that has 4.15 now.

Most changes have been merged into the mainline kernel almost a decade ago. The only difference is drivers and better heterogenous computing support.

CentOS 7 runs 3.10

Debian, I'm avoiding crappy security patches.

>A little secret. Linux support only existed because of the Steam Machines.
It still blows my mind that Valve choose Linux over FreeBSD for a video game machine.
Every other company in the market besides MS uses it, and FreeBSD specifically is renown for graphics heavy tasks.
Not to mention the obvious license benefit.

They could have had first party graphics drivers from Nvidia that multiple industries have relied on for decades. Not just other game makers, we're talking about movie render farms and simulation work.
Meanwhile graphics on Linux have been historically bad even when using first party drivers. This is no secret.

What the fuck where they thinking.
I'm so fucking angry that gamedevs still rely on NT instead of ANY POSIX OS.
I'd honestly be okay if people supported MacOS as a first target. Anything would be better but the 2 chances we had where squandered.
Apple made that big push for OpenGL and then MS bought Halo and nothing ever happened with games on Mac after that.
Valve made a all these Linux shims, so they knew first hand during development how bad the platform is for games but they continued anyway. Only to later just make improvements to WINE.

They should have just used their connection with Sony and made something good. The PlayStation systems have had great operating systems and UX. The only problem with them is the obvious finite amount of hardware choice.

Fuck this reminds me that Steam already runs natively on the PS3.

We're going to be stuck with Win32 and DirectX for life at this rate.
Why is everyone so retarded.

They thought that out of he 2% that use Linux, 2% of them use BSD, so it's not worth it for the extra, I don't know, 5% performance.

This is your brain on video games.

Attached: grayons.png (720x736, 177K)

> Replicant supports up to 13 different devices!
hahahahahha hahaha hahaha

Doesn't run on devices with locked bootloaders.

>its own line of modified Linux
You have proven time and time again that you don't quite understand what linux is and/or how it works. The ability to fork and modify is exactly what makes linux so successful and great. Every linux distro modifies their kernel in some way. So yes, android runs on linux.

Obviously they were hoping a crossover effect with linux desktops would help bootstrap their console in a market that was already pretty locked up. It wasn't a good idea, but it was an idea.

>tweet literally blames it on the GPU drivers
>nvidia dominates the market
>nvidia driver is proprietary
IT'S THE KERNEL'S FAULT GUYS!!!!

Attached: 1535583439927.jpg (640x426, 157K)

>0.1% of users committing 20% of the support tickets
Really roasts the almonds

Attached: 5FDBA7EA-95E3-4D51-9B42-60C779E83E51.png (450x405, 95K)

So, this is you admitting you were wrong again?

>frogposter
>iOS filename
opinion discarded

Yes, if Linux devs are so good, why don't they go make a great nvidia driver?
Right, so it's fine if devices use a modified version of Linux, one that falls into Stallman's definition of static/locked firmware, one that goes against the principles of FOSS and only takes advantage of Linux for being gratis?

lmao, great observation retard

I saved it from someone else and it keeps the filename. I'm an Android phoneposter thank you very much.

The games market is dependent on people making games, not what users currently use.
Exclusives sell hardware every generation.

The problem here is that while 2% of 2% use BSD today as users, the tools already exist for developers due to decades of Nintendo and Sony SDKs and engineers.

The industry is already familiar with making games on BSD. And the drivers have to be good because multi billion dollar industries have depended on them for many more years than on Linux.

For Valve to be in the games industry for this long, and to be partnered with Sony already. It's unimaginable how they made such a large mistake. They're gigantic and old, they should know the internals of this market.

Right so your crappy Replicant toy doesn't even function. It's not an argument.

Yeah but I don't get who exactly would install BSD just to play games.

>twitter

not clicking. Also nice bait. Try designing software for linux instead of running it on top of someone else's shitty hacked together compatibility layer

>so it's fine?
Fine by who's standards exactly? What are you even talking about you drooling mouthbreather? Stallman =/= linux. Again, Android runs on linux.

>It's not an argument.
You got that right.