AMD Threadripper slowdown fixed, not memory channel issue

Wendell delivers yet again.

youtu.be/M2LOMTpCtLA
level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps'
hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/125819-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-perf-boosted-2x-coreprio-tool/

>With this work-around in place we can nearly double the performance of Indigio on the 2990WX as reported by Anandtech, The Tech Report, and ourselves.
>THE RUMORS OF A MEMORY BANDWIDTH PROBLEM, EVEN WITH 32 CORES (AT LEAST IN THESE INSTANCES), HAS BEEN GREATLY EXAGGERATED.

The reason this is huge is it means that mainstream Zen 2 16c/32t CPUs on chipsets with 2 memory channels aren't going to be gimped. With any luck, Microsoft will fix the problem in the Windows 10 kernel before Zen 2 ships.

>inb4 what about Windows 7

Attached: threadripper.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Imagine buying a $2000 CPU that doesn't even Ork out of the box LMAO. I'd kill myself if that were me.

Blame Pajeet OS 10, not AMD.

>Zen 2 16c/32t CPUs on chipsets with 2 memory channels aren't going to be gimped
L3$ was reportedly doubled too, so either way it wouldn't be that bad. CES can't come soon enough

Thing is, there was nothing wrong with the hardware. It's a bug in the Windows kernel. Linux version works flawlessly.

Imagine buying a $5000 CPU that has so many hardware vunerabilities it loses 25% of its performance (in the best of cases) to software patches designed to mitigate them.

>what about Windows 7
what about it? it's not officially supported on those CPUs

delid dis

Fine wine

Holy shit, you're right. The fine wine meme is real.

imagine being a wincuck

It works out of the box on Linux, the superior paid-for OS with all the tech giants backing it. Windows users had to wait for some random autist to make a patch to fix it on their ramshackle OS.

...wait.

Attached: 1519244104651_0.jpg (957x621, 90K)

So why haven't you? Killed yourself that is.

>I'd kill myself if that were me.
You need to toughen up faggot

Is Level1 the official YouTube of Jow Forums?

Because I'm not using a $2000 paperweight?

> Zen 2 16c/32t CPUs on chipsets with 2 memory channels
ah, the classic overhype/feign disappointment scam.
keep it real faggots. it will be a single chiplet 8 core at most with all the mcm configurations reserved for future threadrippers only

These crazy expensive server-class CPUs, do they often run Windows or is it almost always linux/unix?

And TekSyndicate is the Jow Forums of youtube

There is a surprising amount of Windows Server out there in SMB world. This will be more important as businesses realize AMD gives more perf/$ in a smaller footprint than Intel, but this realization will take a little while still.

I don't want my CPU to ork out of the box. Sounds destructive.

The reason why the 2990wx has mem bottleneck is due to 2 dies having no direct access to ram.

Can I just point out that "THREADRIPPER" is the best tech branding ever. Absolutely perfect name for a CPU.

Ah well I guess those tech sites should have never looked into it.
What a silly waste of time.
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

I also enjoyed Bonetrail

spotted the npc who can't update his model of reality when presented with new information

This should be handled by the OS automatically. Likely it will be soon enough with this sorts of asymmetric memory access becoming more common.

6/10, nice (you)s

>gets trips of Satan
>no mention of Devil's Canyon
I am sincerely disappointed.

He's clearly a skeleton king

What am I supposed to do, buy an i9 that will Orz out of the box?

>windows basicly throw around threads all the time instead of flushing them first

wasnt this LITERALLY the problem with the first ryzen and their abysmall perfomance?
amd literally needs to pay microsoft to fix their own OS?

Brainlet here

Does this mean that the people who go "oh if you buy AMD make sure to buy fast RAM because it chokes on anything that's a little bit slow" are now wrong because this is more like a bug that can be fixed and 2133 is fine?

AdoredTV is.

no this is just a windows specific bug that causes the scheduler to freak out when has more threads than it knows what to do with. It doesn't apply to 8 core systems.

They're not wrong, it just means that Zen will now be EVEN FASTER than "with just faster/better RAM".

>Faster memory affects performance
>Fixing scheduling problems affects performance
These aren't mutually exclusive, y'know.

>being surprised that windows and intel are in cahoots so they don't give enough fucks to fix their shit for amd cpu's

Antitrust laws are pretty much the only thing preventing Intel from making their consumer CPUs Windows-only, and Microsoft making Windows Intel-only.

it DID apply to 8 core systems
thats literally the problem ryzen had back in 2016

What about running a Windows KVM under Linux?

i concur.

Jow Forums is fucking retarded, Level1 isn't

Neat. So who's going to buy me one?

Imagine buying a 9900k and realizing it'll keep hitting the throttle unless you delid it.

Attached: 1541262166961.jpg (614x1024, 272K)

It's not the threads specifically. It's to do with the amount of NUMA nodes per socket. Wendell thinks a patch or feature in windows to help performance on intel's extreme core count cpus is the cause. Those XCC cpus can be configured to have two numa nodes on one die because the memory latency across the twin ring bus buffers (the actual source of the ringbus scaling meme) isn't uniform and the same for the skylake X so cores don't have to travel to the opposite side of the die for memory access. He says that the windows configuration probably thinks that two numa nodes on a socket is it and works fine like that, but with the 2990wx there are four numa nodes so processes are still bounced around between dies causing the performance drops.

faster ram helping ryzen is because the ram controller and infinity data fabric are on the same clock domain, so faster ram effectively over clocks parts of the cpu as well.

>Imagine buying a [...] CPU that doesn't even Ork out of the box

Attached: ork.jpg (1000x1000, 138K)

>bug

right... an accidental bug...

Attached: rlm.gif (300x200, 1.07M)

Nice work!
This is also happening to my 7700HQ when i run a single core benchmark on w10, all cores get a 12% load, instead of 1 core getting a 100% load. Might be because this process gets passed around all cores really fast.

>Workaround fixed in OS
It never go wrong in this way, right Meltdown & Spectre?

does the workaround require the user to know about it? or does it "just work" when you install windows 10 on your TR machine?

Attached: Dv72IZFWsAw-W7R.jpg (2048x899, 264K)

imagine using windows 10

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

GITZ

Why does Wendell have to fix all of AMD's fuckups?

*Windows fuckups

Exactly, the OS should be able to work around that with thread scheduling prioritization.

Microsoft's lack of presence in the HPC world is catching up to them. 4S world and beyond has been a big unknown to them. It took years for Microsoft to even get NUMA right.

I don't expect this issue to go away until Windows 10's successor.

That's partly correct, but Window's thread scheduling is too stupid to work around it making the problem much worse than it should be.

Then just imagine using windows 10.

Watch this turn into perma "wontfix" from microsoft.

Attached: 1546507994461.jpg (273x185, 5K)

It's not AMD's fault that the OS you use sucks donkey balls. Literally any other OS is able to manage hundreds of cores/threads much better than Wincucks.

>AMD's fuck ups
It happens a lot, and Wendell had to find work around for two of them on his own.

There are tons of Windows servers as well, mostly in SME.

*Windows fuckups

t. sub-80 IQ.

dumb phoneposter

Or maybe, just MAYBE, Microsoft doesn't want to muddy up their code with bullshit hacks because AMD cobbled together a CPU made of curry and shit.

>on Windows
>_>

Utter noob from /v/ here, what is the timeline for new AMD chip & GPU release? I've been waiting 10 years for DMC5, which releases on March 2019 and want to have the best experience during release. Will the next gen release before March'19 or should I just buy the current gen offering?

I don't want to stray away from AMD because my monitor has Freesync

Disgusting, DELID DIS!

Attached: 1494356435910.png (633x900, 162K)

>>>/youtube/ is that way

This already debunked on the last thread.