Surface Go. yay or meh?

Surface Go. yay or meh?
> 128 GB SSD
> 8 GB RAM
> 10" Tocuh Display
> Nice Pen

Looking for something for the couch / long distance train. Had an iPad Pro 10,5 before, but it was a pain to copy movies/music to it, also no WEBM and proper adblock support.

Attached: dims.jpg (1600x1067, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=ipad webm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well it is a normal pc in a tablet formfactor. If you want that it is the right thing. If got a surface-like tablet on which I installed linux, it is a very comfy device now.

Mh, what i'm interested about: Is there a compareable device in the same price range? (from lenovo, hp...) and is the 10" enough using windows? I'm very used and happy with the iPad 10,5 screen size yet.

>Pentium Gold

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 85K)

Browsing, Movies and a little coding within sublime text as well as mails. What's the deal with the pentium gold? Shit doesn't need to run games or video encoding.

Only if the keyboard is detachable. I have a Surface Pro 3 running Debian. It works great with the pen and everything. I wouldn't recommend using them with Winshit unless you get something like LTSC going on them. The normal editions of Winshit 10 are quite literally unusable for real work because of all the stability and update problems.

Depending on what you're doing with it you might be better off getting a Lineage OS compatible ARM tablet like an nVidia Shield or Nexus 9. I have both of those and they're great little machines for shitposting, PDFs, books, news, YouTube, etc. The reason why I got a Surface Pro is that I needed a lot more internal storage as well as the ability to plug in USB devices (mechanical keyboard and portable HDDs). I also need access to GCC on x86 for my job, which was the biggest reason.

don't buy unrepairable technology
. Even if we're fighting the tide we still gotta fight

I was looking at one of these, but I ended up getting a Surface Pro 6. It depends on where you live and pricing I guess. Where I am, the 4GB/64GB Go was priced decently, but 4GB/64GB seemed a bit too tight, plus it did not come with the keyboard which is fairly expensive for a fucking keyboard. The 8GB/128GB model was even worse value and doesn't even come with a faster CPU. This was around Black Friday and I ended up finding a deal on a Surface Pro 6.

The 8GB Surface Go is $600, with no keyboard or pen. Keyboard and pen are $100 each, so $800 total. Seems like a pretty crap deal for a slow 2C CPU with no turbo boost and 10" screen. Even if you don't need the pen, the keyboard is basically essential so it's like $700. Still seems like a crap deal to me. You can get a Surface Pro with a 4C/8T i5 for like $100-200 extra, plus a bigger screen. These things are pretty fucking expensive and not really a good deal anyway, but a Pro seems like the more worthwhile choice to me since at least you get a worthwhile CPU and a screen big enough to be decently usable as a laptop.

I'd say either move up to a Pro 6 or move down to a 4GB/64GB Go.

I would have to pay 550€ for the 128/8 Surface Go including an alcantara style keyboard (student program)

The Cheapest non-M2-Pro is 990€ including a keyboard.

Just get a surface pro 5 then. There's very little difference in the latest gen

Get one and install Linux.
Perfect tablet.
The CPU isn't the best though

>yay or meh?
how about "ugh"?

>What's the deal with the pentium gold? Shit doesn't need to run games or video encoding.
The iGPU is really bad, UI animation sometimes stutter, hardware acceleration only supported in edge.

>hardware acceleration only supported in edge.
Really? This actually makes me mad...

>no WEBM and proper adblock support

are you kidding me? you can literally install firefox on ipad

also, there is file manager for ipad as well.

The cheapest Pro 6 model has double the RAM and double the cores of the cheapest Pro 5, that's a pretty big difference if you intend to actually use it as a computer for general purpose work and not just a media consumption device.

>non-M2-Pro
What do you mean? Are you talking about m.2 storage or what? All Pro 6 models use NVME SSDs (but the 128GB model is slower on writes than the rest), only the 64GB Go suffers from eMMC garbage.

>128GB ssd
way too little if you actually store anything on there.
>8 GB ram
way too much for a tablet
would prolly run fine with 4GB or even 2gb non-windows install.

FF on iOS has to use the build in safari/webkit for rendering, not gecko. So, no support for additional movie formats within the browser. Also, iPad video files have to be in a certain file format so i have to re-encode all my vids.

my bad, I meant "m3 CPU" from intel.

Well, at least the surface go has an SD-Card slot. Additional 128 GB for some movies/music cost 15 bucks then.

Yeah, it's sad to be unrepairable. However, i need something small to carry around aside my business notebook.

> Depending on what you're doing with it you might be better off getting a Lineage OS compatible ARM tablet like an nVidia Shield or Nexus 9.

Thought about that too, but the only good android things seem to be the samsung tablets and they are fucking expensive compared to what they deliver...

Meh, I just want a nice 10-12" tablet which doesn't put me into a golden cage.

the surface keyboard and touchpad are complete ass

>sublime text
I wish you'd die in a fire

Attached: 1439166729634.jpg (250x250, 17K)

Wasn't there a thread about M$ forcing you to pay to use HW decoding?

Look into the Lenovo yoga
Unironically the think x230

What wrong with sublime text?

>my bad, I meant "m3 CPU" from intel.
There are no Surface Pro 6 models with m3 CPUs that I know of. The cheapest one comes with an i5 8250U, 4C/8T. You're probably looking at an older model, not at a Pro 6.

>cant use keyboard on lap or while carrying it
>no ethernet or usb
>arm
no unless you only want to use it in "tablet mdoe" this is retarded

The pro line looks pretty good, was considering getting the i5 with 128gb model. However I decided to wait for the next model, I think msft are going to make some pretty neat changes to the device (usb-c plug, thinner bezels, new mechanisms somewhere) .

>at least the surface go has an SD-Card slot
For now...

Good to know it can be expanded but I'd rather not rely so much on SD cards. especially since all SD cards are much lower quality. They usually offer less/no RAM caching so IO heavy programs and workloads can't be used.

>i need something small to carry around aside my buisness notebook
Do you need a laptop or just a tablet? If you want a laptop, get a thinkpad, something in the X series. Like a x240 or something. For a tablet, get a nexus 9 with lineage.

I have the sp and the x1. Get the x1. It just werkz.

google.com/search?q=ipad webm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

literally 2 keywords on google search

Whats with the 1800x1200 resolution.

If you scale at 1.5x it'll be 1200x800

1.25x scale will be 1440x960 which might be too small for a 10'' screen?

>111gb of space
>when a fully updated windows 10 takes over 100gb
whew

Fully updated Win10 Pro only uses up about 19 gigs