Reminder that Slackware users are giving up and moving to better distros

Reminder that Slackware users are giving up and moving to better distros.

youtube.com/watch?v=j2LcuUSqe4I

Attached: slaxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg (256x256, 13K)

>basilisk
>tor
>firefox nightly
>chromium
>chrome
I refuse to believe this linux prodigy is having trouble with his setup

Nice shilling your shitty youtube channel. Enjoy your dislike! Go home you stupid fucking pajeet.

slackware is one of the few systemd free distros worth using tho

>moving to better distros
Such as what? Before you answer that question: remember that Slackware users are (predominantly) lazy fucks that want to update their computer once a month MAXIMUM. At least, I am, and so are the other Slack users I talk to.
It's not as if I haven't been looking. 14.2 is getting long in the tooth. It mostly just works for older hardware, like my Thinkpad, but my desktop has a Ryzen CPU and a RX 560 in it, mandating not only a new kernel, but also new graphics drivers, necessitating updated installations for the entire xorg suite, but also a new mesa, which in turn means a new llvm, which in turn means compiling all of llvm's depends because it has ITS fingers in so many other pies. Oh, and by the way, don't forget the compat32 versions of packages where necessary. The problem is that, despite all of that effort, it's still less trouble than the vast, vast, vast majority of distros out there. Once I go through all that effort, I don't have to touch the system again. I can, if I so choose, but I don't have to. Oh, and by the way, avoiding systemd comes for free too, out of the box.
So seriously, name a distro comparable to Slackware worth moving to. I guarantee that nothing else fills the niche.

Attached: 1539344879598.jpg (411x316, 41K)

gentoo. once you. set up your use flags, youre basically set. updates literally never break anything, so i just set up a cronjob and forget. ez pz

Install GuixSD niggers and achieve freedom.

>dont use internet because muh evil blobs

FlapOS best

Attached: flipflap.meme.jpg (2894x2039, 3.02M)

Use current ffs. Updating once a month? I have better things to do. Xcept if you're dealing with a severe ocd case and you haaaave to have all latest patches. And btw, rolling current for years. Had 2 problems so far, by my mistake. And about op - go kill yourself if slack is too hard for you...

I like Gentoo a lot but please don't pretend like it's anywhere near as easy to install and maintain as Slackware is. Also
>doing all your updates through a cronjob
Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

If I was going to install a libre system it sure as fuck wouldn't be use Guix.

Attached: 1543536157516.jpg (1335x599, 142K)

Is Slackware really that bad?

It's literally worse than Windows 10

This, OP BTFO

>what is -current
fuck off nigger

Attached: 1515181861067.gif (741x674, 118K)

>dumbass can't manage his system
What a doodoo butthole ass stale loaf of cum

Attached: 2019-01-04-000611_1600x1200_scrot.png (1600x1200, 827K)

Unusable crap. Come back when you support encryption you dumb fucks.

Feels like I woke up back in the 1990s

Gentoo is harder to perform an initial installation of if you don't know what you're doing, but it's easier once you're used to it (because of flexibility). It's not apples to oranges to compare slackware and gentoo maintenance: gentoo having proper dep resolution will prevent you from borking the system in many ways and lets you delete unneeded packages. Slackware can't do that. So you can easily upgrade in place packages that will "just so happen to work" (assuming you don't rock the boat too much) in slackware, while you might have to dance a bit for gentoo. However, gentoo's upgrade, when it succeeds, will be correct (all runtime and compiletime dependencies will be right, and less likely to have bugs compared to a drop-in version of the software), which can't be said about slackware. Thus, I would consider maintaining a gentoo system to be much simpler.
Moreover, gentoo has significantly more packages available through layman-managed overlays + portage than slackware, which plays into maintenance because it can allow you to install either older or newer version of packages you might not find for slackware, or modified/more stable/alternative version of software. Not to mention the ease of maintenance vs options (e.g. openssl vs libressl).

Slackware is comfy

No other distro allows you to properly glorify "Bob" though

*tips pipe*

hi

Attached: 1546560436893.png (1366x768, 1.47M)

I still don't get the appeal after quite the extensive ""research"".
I get all the other distro's philosophies and used each for handful of time.
Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Fedora etc..
but not Slackware.
>inb4 use it
not worth my time to check it's features if i don't know them.

>frames
MY MEMORIES

Attached: 1463432616798.gif (512x512, 2.46M)

>Rolling all packages instead of just rolling the specific packages you need updated
Slackware and rolling release go together like oil and water. I've used it before, it solves some problems while introducing others. I don't use current because I don't want to take on the devil's deal involved in rolling release.

You're right, if the install/update succeeds, it's guaranteed to be correct. Unless you're installing -bin packages, linking everything to your copy of whatever libraries means that it's not going to experience the side effects that rolling release usually has. But when I say "it's harder to install and maintain," I'm referring specifically to "having to dance a bit for gentoo," not even considering the initial install. Slackware's install is taken care of by tagfiles. Slackware's maintenance is taken care of by curating a selection of known-good lts packages and either patching vulnerabilities in-place, or upgrading to patched known-good lts packages. And since it's taken care of by Pat and his grand council, whose interests align with my own, it's pretty much all taken care of. The only effort I've ever had to put in was the aforementioned support for the video card and CPU, and Slackbuild files ease the pain significantly. Finally, most things can be installed on slackware without regard to the older versions. The only packages I've ever had a serious problem with are mesa and webkit-gtk. Sbo works pretty damn seamlessly.
Your definition of simple and my definition of simple vary. I will say that if Slackware ended tomorrow, Gentoo would be my plan B, but since there's no need to get over that initial hurdle in understanding the utilities, I haven't bothered. Being able to install the packages I use (with mostly everything automated for me at this point), copy my dotfiles, and not having to touch anything at all for months is too compelling to quit.

Attached: 1484235094224.jpg (600x837, 163K)

Gentoo updates break all the time
T. Used Gentoo for a long time

Install Gentoo.

A well-configured Gentoo installation is unironically much easier to maintain than Slackware.

>updates literally break everything
ftfy

I'm thinking about installing slackware but I'm a relatively new user of Linux (about a year of so), i just want a stable distro where I won't be forced to install shit I don't want and nothing will fuck up (without me actually breaking something), is it worth bros?
I'm currently on Ubuntu (with the minimal install)

Slackware is pretty east to use. Just know that the repos are very limited and you will likely have to compile a lot of shit with slackbuilds.

>about a year of so
Don't do it on your main computer, I have respect for Slackware but is a pain to understand manual package management so be sure you have a backup and see it as a learning experience rather than a definitive change. Who knows, you might like it after learning what is about, but maybe you are not ready yet.

I used Slackware for years and still love it but switched to Devuan last year, it just kernel panics now. Pat should have gotten more people working on it years ago. (Or ditch KDE perhaps).

Reminder that there is a anti-slackware campaign going on for some reason.

Yeah I notice, but why tho?

Slackware avalable from DVD offline

Slackware is involved in a religious cult

I suspect it's because it doesn't bow to systemd.
Still wouldn't recommend it though.

Where?

you know you can set your application icons from the attributes menu when you right click the title bar, now please tell me how you make pale moon look like that

New distros are for faggots

>Mexican Slackware
ayy ayy lmao

Attached: 1440095174120.jpg (553x674, 85K)

Attached: desktop_thread.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

Attached: 1470322347821.png (631x638, 477K)

Based WIndowMaker poster

LOL

kek

Not sure.

or you could just use arch and replace systemd
it would be less effort

kek

It was always the best, but it got even better with bedrock.
There is literally no point to switch.

Attached: 2019-01-04-110247_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 180K)

>using pacman on slackware

Attached: 1515965351878.gif (446x500, 1.79M)

Once volkderdi becomes homeless will he develop schizophrenia and be The Second Coming?

Attached: 220px-Terry_Davis_2017.jpg (220x202, 16K)

>pacman
>dpkg
>on same install
holy fuck
this is the best distro