Is pic related worth learning or is it a meme?

Is pic related worth learning or is it a meme?

I just learned that there's also a programming variant, which I'm pretty certain is a meme.

Attached: dvorak-qwerty.png (1366x768, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard_dvorak_layout.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tIJNusYZXMA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7dW1CGefg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It sucks, learn Colemak instead.

If you're struggling with RSI due to typing, do the vast majority of your typing on a personal computer, and are also willing to deal with the crappy keybindings (games, programs, the basic stuff like ctrl c) then I would advise you to try it out.

if you can touchtype qwerty without any pain, then yes it is a meme

If I type at 120wpm on QWERTY, is it worth going Dvorak?

>wasting time on dvorak when you could learn colemak, a more efficient layout that's even easier to learn

what do Dvoraks do when they have to type outside their workstation?

are you a secretary?

>implying Dvorak users ever leave their rooms

I played a lot of MMOs when I was really young and I have always enjoyed writing. I'm an entry level Linux admin but I only make $40k a year. I'm pretty sure I'd make more as a secretary or data entry monkey since I type so fast.

why are nerds obsessed with contrarian bullshit which you might gain maybe a 10% efficiency increase if you spend years retraining yourself and go against the grain of what everyone else is doing? It's the same will bullshit hipster programming languages too

QWERTY is very ubiquitous so Dvorak users probably can probably type at decent speed on it as well.
Picture the inverse situation though:
Nobody else can properly type on your keyboard.

>go against the grain of what everyone else is doing
It's called not being an NPC. Everyone else might be doing it wrong.
IDK about Dvorak, but most people use Chrome+Win10 with default settings on everything.
>you might gain maybe a 10% efficiency increase
10% is a lot, if that was really the case nobody would be using QWERTY.

I can type ~128-134 WPM (Best was 134) how much would this keyboard bump me up? It looks more complicated lol

Hmm might try out colemak

>It's called not being an NPC
doing unpractical shit just to be different is the definition of a "techie" NPC

I use colemak except I keep capslock. I never learned how to touch type qwerty and I am glad that I didn't.

pretty sure Dvorak is more than 10% more efficient than QWERTY, but typing speed isn't something that matters very much

I’d think switching back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak would be a mindfuck. You would have to internalize two separate muscle memories somehow and would never be 100% with either.

>Relevant links:
xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard_dvorak_layout.html

youtube.com/watch?v=tIJNusYZXMA

youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7dW1CGefg

Why learn Dvorak when you could learn Emacs instead?

Unless you're a courtroom stenographer who cares? Use what you're comfortable with. You're not impressing anybody by using Dvorak. It' s a novel concept but any proficient qwerty user doesn't take that long to reach up a row. My hands are rooted on f and j but flow all over the keyboard. I can type 90WPM but I never have the need to go that fast, either at work or home. It's nice to flow when writing up a solution to a ticket or doing an essay but it's not a race. It's like a camaro vs an impala, who cares that one can do 200mph, speed limits 65.

I wouldn't recommend learning it if you already know how to type. Learning to type on a new layout is a frustrating and time-consuming experience that probably won't pay dividends. Certainly if you have RSI-like problems something like dvorak or colemak would be worth considering.

Meme

I really like it op. My fingers used to hurt typing on qwerty and now they don't. It definitely reduces the stress on them if that's something affecting your decision.

>muh super hax speed
>muh carpal tunner
First one is irrelevant, second one is caused because you are a fat.

i use dvorak, but i had RSI, so...

the only thing that i can’t map to dvorak is my phone. i can eventually remember qwerty if necessary.

>the only thing that i can’t map to dvorak is my phone
What? Choosing a different layout on a keyboard app is easy.