Debian vs Ubuntu

> Debian vs Ubuntu

Seriously now, which of these should I use on my main computer for daily use? I heard that Debian (Stable) has seriously outdated packages so I guess Debian can't compete as a daily driver or can it?

> inb4 "install gentoo / arch / another meme-distro"
I don't have the time and patience for that.

Attached: shit.jpg (728x546, 42K)

Devuan

>I don't have the time and patience for that.
By saying that you're just asking for us to say

Install Gentoo

Honestly, just use Ubuntu. Both distros are pretty much the same. Ubuntu is preferred for desktop since it has more recent packages and a larger communists, while Debian is preferred for servers since its packages are more stable.

True, I played myself

>communists
Meant to say community, but oh well

Yeah I kinda thought that but wasn't sure because sometimes this community gets so diverse and retarded with their obscure distro decisions and their ricing that I don't get it anymore.

Attached: debate.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

"Daily use" is a very, very vague term, and no-one knows what you do. Why would care about "outdated packages" with tech like flatpak?

are you a lesbian? no? then don't use debian

i use debian testing.
you can try any distro and see which you like most.

Attached: precious smile.png (255x266, 148K)

>Why would care about "outdated packages" with tech like flatpak?
Ubuntu has snap, which is just as good.

Debian being "outdated" is great
>Firefox Quantum comes out for Windows and 'bleeding edge' distros
>Breaks all plugins
>Everyone reeeing for months
>Slowly devs update their plugins
>6 months or so later quantum update is made available in Debian repos
>Smugly update to quantum with all my plugins just working

You do know that you can choose to hold back updates on Ubuntu if you don't want the newer version, right?

What movie is this from?

nice try satan

I can hear the cries of all the arch fags, that bleeding edge is so much better

Weak bait

american psycho

Attached: 1.jpg (600x600, 48K)

just install manjaro. It's more stable than ubuntu or debian. I've been using it daily for 3 years and never had it break. Just check with the maintainers for warnings, and deal with the occasional pacnew.

I fucking love this webm

Attached: fat laugh.png (400x400, 15K)

Checked

Well yeah, I know that you can manually pin packages, I'm not trying to make the point that "Debian is better because you can stop Firefox getting updated to the latest version", I was just giving an example of how having stable packages can be beneficial even on the desktop.

By default, pacman saves all of your previously downloaded packages until you manually enter the command to purge them so it's pretty trivial to roll a package back one or even several versions if you want to.

I'm all good with older versions. It just doesn't matter at all.

Kek, how have I never seen this before

You can roll Debian Testing or Debian Unstable if you want Debian with more recent packages. Honestly, it probably won't make much difference which one you choose, remember that if you want to play Steam or GOG games that Ubuntu is the only distro that's officially supported. You can usually get the games to play on other distro but sometimes it's a pain in the ass.

Yeah I went with Ubuntu over debian because I wanted pain-free gaming. I run Gentoo on my laptop because I like pain in other contexts.

fpbp

Ubuntu.
But even better: install Gentoo.

>larger communists
That Freudian slip lmao

why not fedora

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-03 22-19-33.png (1600x900, 796K)

>muh new software for desktop
this is a meme. Get the appimage or compile by yourself if you want a stable distro, on top of the base like Debian stable or Centos.

If you really can't help it for being a brainlet
that can't compile nothing then get Debian Unstable or Fedora. The latter stays on the older versions until a security fix is needed from upstream. Debian Unstable will update them regardless if it's a normal bug fix or security fix.

Attached: devuan_logo.jpg (1024x768, 427K)

+1 for fedora

To be honest the only problem I ever had is that of rolling releases, that a package may not install with dnf because of the dependencies have not been updated. This happens on Debian Unstable and Testing too. But this never happens in a distro like CentOS and Debian stable. It kinda of sucks, I know to get around by compiling and installing manually. But that is something not "supported". And worst if the very package you need to compile is the one you can't install from the repositories. Then you have to also install that manually. I'm pretty sure Ubuntu LTS also has problems like that. A rolling release will have even more of those problems.

Ubuntu.

1) While all Debian packages will work on Ubuntu, not all Ubuntu packages will work on Debian. This is because some Ubuntu packages have dependencies that aren't in the Debian repos, even after enabling non-free repos. While it's true that you can manually install the dependencies on a Debian system, you could very well end up going down a rabbit hole of dep hell installing one package to satisfy another to satisfy another to satisfy what you're trying to install.

2) Most software will have an Ubuntu package at the ready if it's not already in the repos, while there's not always a Debian package. It's true that you COULD try to install the Ubuntu package on a Debian system, you could also end up back at #1.

3) Almost any problem you encounter, someone will have already had the same problem and it has been solved on the Ubuntu forums, where the Debian forums tend to have a very RTFM (read the fucking manual) approach to "helping" people with their problems. Though in recent days, this attitude seems to be shifting more to a truly helpful one as the elitist cuntbags are leaving for Devuan.

4) Ubuntu now has an option during installation where you can choose to install just the base system, DE and a browser, so there's really not much benefit to installing Debian anyway as the main draw was how little software it would install, leaving the bigger decisions to the end user.

Basically, Ubuntu is the best distro for the "average" user with a decent system. If you're coming at it with very outdated hardware, then you're better off with Debian. Though I will say, arch is a pretty strong contender these days. 90% of the shit people would meme about it such as X breaking randomly, configs being overwritten, etc are things that haven't happened in literally YEARS. It's a pretty solid distro right now, but I wouldn't recommend it for any machine where stability is paramount. If it's a work machine or for school, go with Ubuntu.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

>use debian unstable
>repo freezes for 6 months because testing is freezed
>latest packages flushes in after 6 months
>updating turns your system into a mess

Serious answer: Consider trying Manjaro. You can get it with Gnome as a DE so you'll feel like home if you're used to Ubuntu.

It's more stable than Arch and doesn't require you go meme mode to configure your install. It has most configurations available through GUIs.

I know this pain all too well. Fucking having to compile dependencies for dependencies.

Attached: 1535254585751.png (367x321, 177K)

Fedora 29 is super comfy

*tips fedora*

Depends

You're more likely to run into problems with Debian, and you're less likely to easily find an answer for it too. Ubuntu has much less issues and a greater support base.

Out of date packages are a meme, most users would barely notice the difference in majority of applications. It's only significant updates that you might miss but you can just install them manually or they'll end up in backports. What's more annoying is running apt update and seeing hundreds of packages that need updates every other day, and taking the risk that you'll break something by updating them all. There's really no reason not to use debian stable for 99% of Linux users. Its so nice running apt update and seeing everything already up to date with the stable versions instead of constantly downloading new insignificant shit