Sysadmins, do you like Powershell?

Sysadmins, do you like Powershell?

Attached: pwsh.png (770x603, 246K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blackhat.com/docs/us-14/materials/us-14-Kazanciyan-Investigating-Powershell-Attacks-WP.pdf
scmagazine.com/home/security-news/apt-group-fruityarmor-employs-powershell-to-launch-attacks-kaspersky/
stackoverflow.com/questions/8264655/how-to-make-powershell-tab-completion-work-like-bash
superuser.com/questions/1114754/why-does-this-ffmpeg-command-when-called-from-powershell-generate-white-noise
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Winshit
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Attached: 1404947307314.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

Fucking love it.

no, I still use cmd.exe, like the stupid boomer I am

fpbp

MICROSHITS BTFO

Attached: based_satania.gif (540x304, 1.52M)

You should try bash.

Attached: image.jpg (602x500, 123K)

Its okay

Fkn love it

powershell is awesome. you have the whole .net frame work to work with
tons of modules to work with like the AD modules
the ability to pipe function output to other function
ISE is lightweight but super helpful as a IDE

if you do anything on Windows it's the best scripting lang to learn

Pentester here.
I love the powershell, on the other people PC.

I love it, I use it for creating tools and automation for SCCM

Better than Cmd. But Bash is far more comfy

I've been using in in AWS for lambda functions. Way more readable/reusable than the python shit the other guy had there.

Powershell core is on Linux but I haven't really done anything with native Linux calls. I mostly use bash.

Lol. Underrated

I've seen some pretty cool articles about obfuscating ps1

takes 30 seconds+ to open
can't run as system user
tab completion is ass retarded, it just completes the first thing that matches
basic tasks require extremely complex scripts. For example, recursively deleting a folder (rm -rf on linux) is a 20 line script in powershell. There is an alias for rm but it doesn't even work correctly depending the structure of the folder.
The equivalents to curl, wget, tail, have absurdly long arguments making it impossible to remember how to do simple things which having to google.

I wrote a memescript to update git repos

$MaxJobs = 8
$Jobs = @()

Get-Childitem | Foreach-Object {

$RunningJobs = @(Get-Job -State Running)
If (($RunningJobs).count -ge $MaxJobs) {

$RunningJobs | Wait-Job -Any
}

$update = {

Set-Location $args[0]
#Write-Output $args[0]

If (Test-Path .git) {
git remote update
git pull
} Elseif (Test-Path .svn) {
svn update
}

}

$Jobs += Start-Job -Name ${_}_process -ScriptBlock $update -ArgumentList ${_}.Fullname
$Jobs[-1]
}

Wait-Job $Jobs
Get-Job | Receive-Job

also it has some wack as feature enabled by default where whenever you click it pauses the output until you press enter. Everyone time you go a new pc you have to go into both current and default settings and turn that garbage off.

Very powerful, using it for AD.

cringe and bluepilled

>takes 30 seconds+ to open
Blame .net honestly

>tab completion is ass retarded
Try powershell core 6

>For example, recursively deleting a folder (rm -rf on linux) is a 20 line script in powershell.
remove-item -recurse doesn't work

The equivalents to curl, wget, tail, have absurdly long arguments making it impossible to remember how to do simple things which having to google.
Can't fault you there, but you could create your own aliases and functions :)

based

Attached: 1546732949634.jpg (2560x2880, 3.03M)

Agree with most of this, powershell is an abomination which should't come as a surprise to anyone. Horrible to use in comparison to bash.

But you can recursively delete a folder by age super expressively with one line. I wrote a script a while back to do so and remember it being a one liner.

I fucking hated having to write that stupid script though. Thank god I dont have to use powershell regularly. F

I don't hate it, but why is it so god-forsakenly verbose?

I hate it and all shell scripting. Shell scripting is absolutely trash tier work. I write the absolute minimum required and use configuration management tools as much as possible.

My work is forcing me to automate things with PowerShell this coming week, stuff involving Microsoft TFS. Not looking forward to working with Powershell and the TFS REST API :( This isn’t what I want to do at all.

New grad thrown into sysadmin role. Basically inherited partially configured sccm sever. How fucked am I, if they expect me to get software patching configured correctly?

the syntax is really annoying, that's my primary complaint. might as well just code in C#

It's not a question of 'like'.

There are some sysadmin tasks that can only be done using PowerShell.

Some people work at companies that signed deals with microsoft unfortunately

>tab completion is ass retarded, it just completes the first thing that matches

If you press the tab key multiple times it will cycle through all matches.

You sound like someone who's never actually used PowerShell, and are just reciting some list of problems that you heard other people complaining (probably incorrectly) about PowerShell.

>Some people work at companies that signed deals with microsoft unfortunately

You mean like a Microsoft Site License Agreement?

Where I work, every employee gets 2 Windows OS licenses (one for your office desktop, one for your laptop or home), 2 Office suite licenses and 2 Visual Studios licenses. Besides, almost all the desktop computers and laptops that my employer purchases are Dells that come with OS licenses anyway. But, licenses that my employer uses are volume licenses, so I basically have more OS licenses than I need.

I hate whiney fucking poorfags.

KEK. Good luck playing around with fucking TFS.

>he thinks people take issue with the price of Windows
I mean, I guess in some way you could look at it that way. But let's just say people have much more specific issues with Windows that have nothing to do with the price.

Attached: 1507024602918.png (133x30, 10K)

Yeah.. it’s a fucking headache... I actually had to do something in December with it that involved using very old .dlls (from Power Tools 2015) that contained functions for PowerShell that allowed us to automate something. Ever since then I basically got fucked over and I just hate working with TFS.

Is your team agile?

You mean, do we practice Agile? Yes.

doesn't it also work on linux?

I don't think most people care about the price of windows, shit's like 10e if you for some reason want to buy it and not just use it for the cost of janny's annual salary.

Totally true.
blackhat.com/docs/us-14/materials/us-14-Kazanciyan-Investigating-Powershell-Attacks-WP.pdf
scmagazine.com/home/security-news/apt-group-fruityarmor-employs-powershell-to-launch-attacks-kaspersky/

No good sysadmin uses wangblows.

how do I autocomplete?
if I have "aba", "abb" and "abc" and I enter "a" and tab, it goes to "aba" and I have to repeatedly tab to go to "abc". In linux it completes it until I have multiple choices again... so to "ab" and then it lets me choice to type more... which is waaaay better then to cycle through a million options. Is that a setting or just retarded windows?

>Blame .net
I'm a dotnet developer and my cli applications take milliseconds to get running. Windows forms and wpf applications take a second if there are tons of controls to load.
I have no idea why powershell is such a pig.

It makes it easier to read. Tab completion makes language verbosity way less of an issue. Since mostly sysadmin retards will be writing ps, the language was designed tinker-toy style to force their scripts to be at least partially readable.

As a user and developer, I get frustrated at Windows defaults.
The fact that script signing has to be disabled, and then you have to disable foreign script execution warning on top of that, makes it kind of moot.

I came around on the syntax, and love the pipeline concept.
But I can't justify implementing scripts if they're only going to be useful to a small percentage of people.
I legitimately would rather write something in Golang and distribute a binary or a BATCH file, than a PS1. At least I know those will execute for everyone without intervention.

It works anywhere it's ported to. Which probably covers most POSIX systems.

>In linux
It's shell specific. You're probably talking about bash.
stackoverflow.com/questions/8264655/how-to-make-powershell-tab-completion-work-like-bash

Same. Power shell is buggy.

I forgot to highlight this too >takes 30 seconds+ to open
People are crazy if they think I'm using this as an interactive shell.
When launching and tab completion takes more than an instant, on a high end machine from 2018. I'm not going to let that slide.
But this is more external since we're only talking about Microsoft's version of PowerShell.
In theory someone could make this better.

I don't know if this is fixed but here's an excerpt from one of my scripts that wasted a good hour or so.
# PS puts garbage into pipe? | superuser.com/questions/1114754/why-does-this-ffmpeg-command-when-called-from-powershell-generate-white-noise
#& {ffmpeg -i $_.FullName -map a:0 -c:a pcm_s16le -f wav - | & neroAacEnc -if - -ignorelength -of $audioStream}
& cmd /C $('ffmpeg -i "{0}" -map a:0 -c:a pcm_s16le -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -ignorelength -of "{1}"' -f $_.FullName, $audioStream)

cringe

>Larper here.
We're waiting.

>we're waiting
No I'm not. I'm about to head out to breakfast.

Same. In fact I have no idea what the powershell actually is

>takes 30 seconds+ to open
Only the first time, it's instantly after that