Has anyone on Jow Forums fooled around with a Fantasy Computer like the PICO-8?

Attached: pico-8.png (300x298, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Pocket-C-H-I-P-Portable-Computer-Thing/dp/B07HHNWQW6
github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it called fantasy computer because it doesn't really exist and it's just a"fantasy"?

I too have come for just this question. Some googling did not really give me much answers. It see,s to be game development platforms? What stops me from saying game maker 6 isn’t a fantasy console?

is it free?

its basically like an emulator for a console that doesnt exist
you can write programs for it using its language

No but the source is.

>PICO-8
I think the now defunct pocketchip ran pico 8.

amazon.com/Pocket-C-H-I-P-Portable-Computer-Thing/dp/B07HHNWQW6

Lots of them use Lua, Basic, etc.

Also, there's limited system memory, so you have to be efficient with your code, assets, etc.

Also the game shell. And to be honest i want a game shell.

Yeah, I did some fun stuff with it a few years ago. I find that the limitations make it really easy to stay focused and creative and it's pretty fun to do advanced stuff like poking around in RAM to manipulate graphics and sound.

SEGA MEGADRIVE still better
(also this emulator support keyboard and mouse)

Attached: ______.png (648x507, 11K)

>PICO-8
not opensourse
slave level license
rejected

Attached: DISGUST.jpg (450x437, 55K)

can you name an open source alternative?

SEGA MEGADRIVE emulator blastem

github.com/Stephane-D/SGDK

SGDK is an open and free development kit for the Sega Megadrive.

Tic-80 is basically a 1 to 1 clone and open source. There is a "pro" version, which you can also get by conpiling it yourself.
There is also Liko-12, which is also open soirce and entirely written in Lua and easily hacked around with.

TIC-80 and LIKO-12 are two.

>Is it called fantasy computer because it doesn't really exist and it's just a"fantasy"?
exactly right.

SGDK is awesome, maybe not the easiest for noobs.. but still awesome.

Cool, checking out LIKO-12 & SGDK now

Pico-8 seemed fun enough but programming without vi keys is hell.

this is good

I wish someone would make a knock-off portable

You can use an external text editor for Pico and TIC, not sure about Liko

bump

No, but it seems interesting.

I used to play around with it a lot in university but I grew out of lua when I couldn't use the lang for anything else. I wish there was a javascript driven alternative

>javascript driven alternative
TIC-80

Voxatron is arguably more interesting since it's the same thing as Pico-8 but using a virtual 3D voxel display.

Lua and JavaScript are fairly similar (although Lua is much more well-designed) so I don't see how this is an issue. Any decent programmer is going to be swapping between different languages throughout their professional career, carrying over concepts learned in one to the other.

Attached: voxatron_035_opt[1].gif (640x360, 1.71M)

In general, for people complaining about FOSS, I highly suggest TIC over PICO. It's open source and has the same spirit of pico-8

It's mostly annoyance. I know both. Lua is a very simple language, and javascript to pico-8 transpilers exist. I could write ES6 javascript that uses the pico-8 api to make games, using the engine. It's a non issue. But it's against the spirit of the system. Lua isn't a very fun language to program in, once the novelty wears off.

But the pico-8 concept is very comfy though. I'm just one of the few people who find the quirks and limitations of javascript to actually be fun and wish it had an official JS wrapper