Are modern Thonkpads even that bad? Why does Jow Forums hate them so much? Pic related still has socketed RAM, drives...

Are modern Thonkpads even that bad? Why does Jow Forums hate them so much? Pic related still has socketed RAM, drives, and a hotswappable battery.

Attached: t480.png (1200x800, 509K)

they aren't contrarian enough

Shitty keyboard layout and still haven’t gone back to 16:10.

I just wish they bring back the taller aspect ratio

Take a look at the A485 (plenty of these points will apply to any thinkpad newer than xx20 series):
>throttles so badly that even consumer oriented ideapads with the same CPU perform better
>too thin to have a decent cooler
>broken power management for plenty of BIOS releases
>keyboard registers keystrokes out of order
>doesn't even have 4 type A USB ports
>accutype keyboard with inferior feel to older thinkpads
>inferior layout to older thinkpads
>the hinge is on the panel rather than the laptop, makes batteries that stick out at the back and provide a grip impossible
>butt ugly compared to older models
>nulenovo logo
>blinking gaymen thinkpad logo

Attached: ignore_xx30_posters.png (919x648, 46K)

They're alright, but still much better than the rest of the market. My T460s is still running strong compared to my coworkers XPS 13's that have battery swelling and the hinge failing.

16:9 is a horrible aspect ratio for laptops and monitors in general.
I didn't realize just how bad they are until I got used to my x60.
Fucking normalfags ruin everything.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to "slim" the T-series should be fucking fired. It all started going to shit with the T430. Apparently everything that's good in life come to an end. And I think I might have cancer, thanks to my father who wanted to reproduce with his shitty stomach cancer genes.

Attached: emnV5H5AYM584EfvHNSs4i-650-80.jpg (603x339, 57K)

low power cpu meme

looks better than t420 and t430

That thing comes with i7-8650U which is already more performant than any cpu you could find on sandy and ivy bridge thinkpads

cheap acer's have better cpu / gpu

like macs, you now pay extra for the brand, in this case >muh thinkpad

I bought a T450s and I am super in love with it

Namefile says t480
Pic is a x280
They are not that bad, but far below what they used to be in term of modularity and comfort.
The X series has felt so hard for the thin meme they're just shrinked x1carbon now.
Price / quality ratio isn't that interesting either for the modern ones.

They took a lot of cue's from consumer laptops and ended up making a mutt that's not really good at being a general use or business laptop.
>bulky, ugly, mediocre display to be a consumer laptop
>not great as a business laptop due to screen aspect ratio, field repairability, keyboard layout.

Not to mention that the cost makes it less appealing when cheaper or better alternatives exist from Dell, HP, and ASUS

Attached: serveimage.jpg (640x640, 36K)

This, if you buy a *70 or newer Thinkpad, you're getting cucked hard.
Even used Thinkpads aren't worth it anymore since you can get a HP or Acer for $150 from Amazon shipped. In order to get a thinkpad with equivalent processor, battery life and screen quality, you gotta shell out more than $250 total for brand new battery and IPS/1080p LCD panel swap.

consumer models are still much worse build quality but keep trying to justify your minimal savings given the ammortized cost over the laptop lifetime.

I love my t480s. Got it for under 900 with a coupon code promotion Lenovo was running during the holiday.

Attached: t480s.png (677x696, 637K)

This. The name still carries a lot of weight over the years from enterprise use so for that alone you pay extra for a thinkpad

>muh build quality
Ok sure, justify spending more on that worse battery life, worse screen and worse performance, so you can fit into an anonymous group on Jow Forums. Hmm, this sounds just like macfagism. Or maybe you're just a clumsy piece of shit that manages to drop something as big as a fucking laptop.

they're still the best at being thinkpads, a t480 has replaceable ram, ssd, a 2242 pcie slot for more storage or a wwan card, a full size sd card reader, a lot of ports ethernet, usb, usb c, great battery life and the keyboard is easily the best on current laptops, also its only 1.5kg and not thick as fuck. the transition to nupads was rough, especially with quality assurance but the T series is still solid considering how retarded lenovo is with their consumer line garbage

i have a t460 and while it is still better than a lot of shit on the market, it is not really comparable to the t420 i have, or the w500 i used almost 10 years ago.
they basically went for the ULTRABOOK! meme, and tried for a sleek look. instead they should not have focused on that at all

>performant
That still isn’t a word, Ian.

the hp 8440w was the best laptop ever created

I have a thinkpad yoga 460 its peak comfy
>solid hinges
>great keyboard
>m.2 or pcie ssd slot I don't remember which
>hard drive bay
>6-8 hours battery
>wacom digitiser
>mostly great build quality

Only downsides are that it only has one ram slot and that the bottom casing is plastic instead of magnesium. Still like my x220 and t410 though

Attached: Kanna_crying_Stitched_Cap_(Miss_Kobayashi's_Dragon_Maid_Ep_4).png (1280x1256, 1.25M)

absolutely
bhought an e585 during holiday promo
>battery life about 7 hours with web browser, Eagle PCB and cmus open at the same time
>only about ~2 hours while compiling or rendering
>manjaro doesnt show time to empty correctly
>build quality is phenomenal (aluminium for body and screen, bottom cover is sanded plastic. everything is attached to the top aluminium part)
>keyboard is probably one of the best you can get on a modern laptop (its the same as the t and a series
>doesnt thottle even under load but it can get noisy from time to time espicially under heavier workloads and/or when its charging
>light
noise is probably my biggest complaint also youll have to add some grub boot options at least for arch/manjaro
also youll have to live without a dedicated gpu if you go for the e series

>absolutely
absolutely not*

>e585
>e
Not a ThinkPad.

why not? what are the diffrences?

looks the same as and is specced worse than the t450s i got for under 400 on ebay. let the enterprises buy new and profit when they throw shit out for no reason

While I'm not the biggest fan of the keyboard/doing glued non-replaceable batteries, etc. The laptops are definitely not as bad as some make em out to be. Jow Forums just doesn't seem to like any change.

They aren't bad apart from the chiclet keyboards. But they aren't as good as the old ones. That's the only reason.

this

I use my T400 instead of my T420 because the 16:10 screen feels much nicer

you paid 900 for those specs wtf

Any laptop that doesn't have a socketed CPU, MXM slot and socketed RAM is not worth buying.

*xx30

but then you probably have someone else's dick cheese on your keyboard.

>specced worse than the t450s
>dual core ULV

I got t480s and it's great, high quality high dpi 1440p IPS screen, the 8550u is basically like a rebranded 7700hq so it's hot as fuck but delivers real performance, thin and light as fuck, nvidia graphics for light gaming, best keyboard on the new market by far, ample ports with multiple usb a, usb c thunderbolt 3, ethernet sd card and extra wwan slot that can be repurposed for extra ssd, you people using t420/t430 and shit are missing out and this comes from someone who used x220 for 5 years till I got this thing, current gen thinkpads are awesome don't let those hardcore tpg faggots tell you otherwise, pretty much the only downside is value right now but they're gonna get cheaper as time goes on.

t. Lenovo cúck

based. I'm in the same boat with my /comfy/ 1.1kg x1 carbon that gets like 17 hours of battery life. poorfags get cucked

I have that x280 AMA