Boomer cluelessness thread

>I know for a fact because back in my day it was this way

Attached: IMG_20190107_181512.jpg (1080x1787, 304K)

My dad is an old OOSD cert but has no fucking clue how wifi works.
>Kids PC is in the basement
>Floor and 4 walls between them and router
>Dad thinks it's a good idea to hook them up on the wireless with an old clunker USB card from 2004
>Be cool dude
>Buy new 1080TI for myself
>Give the kids 970 I was using
>Can't download drivers
>Network speed is about 2Kb with 75% packet loss
>Explain to dad why this isn't working
>"Well it's connected, isn't it?"
>In the same way a man with a completely snapped arm still has his arm "connected"
>He can't use it but it's there
>Have to buy a 50ft CAT6 line because they won't let the kids bring their system up
>Run the line OUTSIDE then into the furnace room through a vent
>Run it behind everything to the kids office
>Even give them my old gigabit hub
>It's connected
>It works
>Thank god, I'm done here
>1 week later
>"HEY user INTERNET BORKED AND U GOTTA FIX IT"
>If they weren't playing fortnite all day they'd know how to spell
>Drive out of town and get to the house to fix things
>Jackass dad got rid of the cable and hooked them on wifi again
>"I don't like the look of that cable running around my house, son"
>It's completely out of sight
>Kids high end rig I made them is worthless now
>Can't update games
>Can't play with their friends
>Can't connect to any of the server's I'm hosting for them and their friends
>Can't download drivers for new hardware
>Old man won't listen to a word of what I'm saying because "He knows what he's talking about"
>I_am_done_here.sh
>Log in to router because it's still default login
>Throttle wifi bandwidth for all devices to 1Kb
>Leave
>1 week later fix it and say it was due to "Wireless transmission bandwidth overload" from the kids PC being on it
>He lets me run my cable and the kids get to use their system again
>Re-enable wifi
My dad's a cool guy usually but holy shit he's stubborn

Attached: 1544052778646.jpg (960x953, 127K)

Oh god. It's sure a sad sight when you realise that someone who you looked up to is so out of loop.

You have my sympathy user

As I age, I realize that the problem with boomers isn't that they don't know how technology works, but that they think they know how it works.
I have spent almost a decade trying to convince my mother that a TV/console/computer being turned on isn't the cause for her computer being slow, to no avail whatsoever.

>grandma still has netburst machine in basement
>mom is still running windows XP
>uncle is still using a TANDI for his word processing, claims tech hasn't gotten cheap enough for him to use a computer yet from the last 10 years
>grandpa can't even comprehend how to use a touchscreen
>meanwhile, my aunt is an "APPLE ONLY HOUSEHOLD" and she doesn't let me or mom use my android phones
Kill me

>uncle is still using a TANDI
Based even if obsolete as fuck

Attached: UYxZrxW.jpg (324x432, 33K)

>uncle is still using a TANDI for his word processing, claims tech hasn't gotten cheap enough for him to use a computer yet from the last 10 years
Nothing wrong with that if that's all he uses it for and it's what he's used to. Also says a lot about the state of today's manufacturing, that his computer from 40 years ago still works, but laptops from today don't last more than a few years.

I don't even know how wifi works

You know the old switches that would broadcast all data going out to all ports?
Basically that but wibbly wobbly radio magic that doesn't like going through walls a lot

I'm glad my boomer dad trusts my judgement when it comes to technology. It's kind of annoying sometimes but it seems way less aggravating than this shit.

Attached: 1447081522323.gif (406x300, 3.17M)

>Also says a lot about the state of today's manufacturing
more likely failure bias. only the really exceptionally well cared for or well manufactured/lucky systems survive and then people get the impression that older things were better made. most of the old systems I've seen or had have failed within 20 years of manufacture.

>Apple only household
You can't make this shit up

Attached: 1540794122439.jpg (218x265, 22K)

and there's also the fact that the smaller form factor of laptops cause them to be exposed to more heat stress, causing them to fail quicker. and their portability makes them more likely to be exposed to harsher environments (laptop on the bed clogging the fan with lint, anyone?) rather than sitting in a clean study room for decades.

Attached: dunningkruger.jpg (564x472, 43K)

Question is. Will it be you, when you are there age? Will you be the stubborn boomer and do this shit?

Oh definitely

>implying I'm going to live to be a boomer
I'm too poor to move out of high-crime/negroid-dense areas

I have no idea how Snapchat and Instagram work so it's too late for me already

"No nothing"

It's my birthright to make future generations suffer

>970
>high end rig
wew

>grandfather goes to see a friend
>she has a google home
>he likes the idea, thinking it would be great to have.
>user, do you have a google home?
>"No, its a botnet. it records everything you say and holds the info for like forever"
>Do i need a smart phone for it?
>*the man loves non touchscreen phones* ..... "yes"
>well, user - when this phone breaks, i'll get a smart phone.

Fuck.png.

Based

>have a great grandfather
>liked to take me fishing a lot when I was 10
>he just celebrated his 100th birthday
>self made millionaire started as a farmer during the great depression as a kid with his younger brother and invested all his life
>mind still sharp as ever, knows he is out of his dept on a lot of the new touch technology but never gets frustrated or pretends to know something he doesn't.
>he's a tinkerer always taking stuff apart and fixing it, was big into radios when they were first a thing when he was a kid. He liked to recall putting a radio together with his brother when he was really young.

He died last Saturday. funeral tomorrow.

We had planned another boat trip last summer but it fell through as his friend couldn't come up and help get him in/out of the boat. He lasted through Christmas and I was able to have one last private chat with him. His gift to me, my sister, mother, grandmother, uncle, was 1oz gold piece each. He knew his time was up, said I was the man in charge now. RIP.

Attached: 1436744652081.gif (750x750, 1.87M)

This is now an elderly appreciation thread

Attached: p4141260-2.jpg (705x435, 140K)

sounded like a good bloke
F

>mom buys Roku to watch Netflix
>1.5mbps connection because out in middle of nowhere
>tries to stream a basketball game in HD
>frequently buffers
>blames everyone else in the house
>try to explain to her that our bandwidth just isn't high enough to support streaming what she's trying to stream
>accuses me of rigging our router to give me all the bandwidth

Give bandwidth back Jamal

>what are powerline connectors
Your Boomer dad is right, I wouldn't want a fucking 50ft cable running all through my house either.

Then have fun with your shit wifi retard.

>wifi
You've obviously never used a powerline adapter. I have my PC running off one using an ethernet cable and it's pretty much as good as being directly wires in to the modem

I think the GI Generation were the last to truly understand how the world shaped itself to be, and the last to be stoic about how things are. Even Silent Generation and early boomers are self centered little shits, but I've never met a GI who was a fuck head, always reasonable and calm. I guess that's what living long will do to anyone.

my condolences.
> I wouldn't want a fucking 50ft cable running all through my house either.
I bet you would still use a 2400bps DIAL UP modem if you could, OLD BOOMER.

>You've obviously never used a powerline adapter
it's great.. if the wiring in your house isn't fucking shit.

True, here in Ireland our electrical wiring tends to be quite good but I've heard some horror stories about the US.
>I bet you would still use a 2400bps DIAL UP modem if you could, OLD BOOMER.
Nope, I'm getting great speeds with my powerline adapters thanks all the same ;)

Most likely. I can't see myself embracing much more than my desktop/laptop..

>talking to dad about crypto
>"but who runs BTC?"
>"uh dad, nobody runs BTC. It's decentralized"
>"BUT SON, YOU CANNOT HAVE A PAYMENT SYSTEM RUN WITHOUT SOMEONE MANAGING IT! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE CHAOS IT COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG?!"

Attached: e3f.jpg (738x414, 144K)

You know that it's unfair to compare it to laptops, so why did you make that post?

Threadly reminder majority of Jow Forums is just as stubborn.

>meme coins

Just leave.

what a faggot

OLED is a joke.

>aunt goes on and on about how i shouldn't leave my charger plugged-in 'cause I'm wasting energy
>proceeds to leave all the lights in the house on
>12pm

My parents trust my judgment and I keep them rolling with easy to use tech and my old equipment.

Okay, retard.

Keep living in denial, but it's entry mid-end rig. It wasn't high-end in 2014 and it still isn't 4 years later.

My parents suffer from ego issues when it comes to being wrong.

Any day of the week I am the king tech wizard, as far as they see it I can conjure computers out of thin air and configure a fucking Borg collective with my eyes closed. However the moment they have a pre-conceived notion about something tech related and I say otherwise, I suddenly know nothing and I'm clueless.

You do realise that 90% of computers are on the low-end by logic, right?
Also, "mid-end" doesn't really make any sense.

My mom is hard to teach, and can often argue, but that's just how she is as a person. Both of them are deeply suspicious of tech, not afraid but tinfoil hat, and I'm starting to realize more and more how right they are.

>You do realise that 90% of computers are on the low-end by logic, right?

Yes, but that doesn't make a rig with a 970 a high-end rig. You're over average, but it's still garbo. It's like saying a Type-R Civic is a supercar. Sure, your car is faster than 90% of cars, but it's not a supercar.

Hey I get alot of use out of a 970, nice mid tier rig, slightly older CPU but it runs modern games at high and can photo process decently. I would say a 970 easily makes it mid to high end, a low end rig wouldn't have a GPU.

I said it's entry mid-tier, not low-end

F

>somehow this thread devolved into gamers bickering over their toy specs within 50 posts
This is why we hate you /v/

>father is a windows sysadmin with 25 years of experience
>he knows more about setting this shit up than I do
>I write software, he makes the internet do shit
>both get paid around the same, can communicate on the same wavelength even though our skillsets are completely different
this is ideal, anons

Attached: 1530229856176.jpg (424x395, 31K)

My dad, who is a grease monkey, almost 60 and HATES technology and can barely deal with automatic locks on cars and has literally never used a computer got convinced to get a smartphone by my sister somehow, he now spends all day watching youtube videos. Hes had it for about a month, last night he showed me how to turn the auto rotate off on my phone. Im certain he was showed how to do this by my sister but still, i didnt know you could do that.

It is correct, as there is no confidence nor expertise at 0/0.

>i didnt know you could do that

This is the kind of people on Jow Forums.

These people shouldn't be allowed to vote

Attached: Screenshot_20190108-152841_YouTube.jpg (1440x2960, 907K)

You will be asked the dumbest shit at the most unoppertune times, he will think you know literally everything about it, yet still say youre wrong if he thinks it doesnt make sense. My dad thinks people sit around all day just waiting for a reply on craigslist for junk cars their selling and expects them to reply instantly.
See is me. Honeslt id just your gramps that his house if too old for it or something.

Sorry user, im not a 12 year old girl whose life is dependant on a smartphone.

SON DELETE YOUR GAME YOU'RE WASTING THE INTERNET

Attached: 00.jpg (283x424, 133K)

I got my mom a Kindle and would pirate books for her and her husband. One day she tells me half the screen doesn't work. I look at it and it's shattered. I talked to Amazon and had it replaced. They went through three more Kindles and now they have a stack of them, all broken.

My uncle got a Samsung tablet. He told my mom, who he sees as more technologically savvy, that it doesn't work. The USB port on the bottom was completely destroyed, like imagine if the Hulk had tried to plug in a micro USB cable. I don't know what he did. They took the tablet to a phone repair place where it got fixed.

My uncle now had a working tablet but was confused by it because it was too complicated for him so he gave it to my mom. I looked it up online, it cost around $600 when it was new. She liked the tablet but thought it was supposed to come with a stylus. She called Samsung, or someone, and argued with them for a long time. Whoever she talked to didn't send her a stylus.

I visited my mom around Thanksgiving. By now the tablet was completely shattered and the battery was dead and not able to be charged. Even the charging cord was broken but it would sort of work if it was plugged in. She told me about the missing stylus. She was amazed when I simply pulled the stylus out of the hole it fits into.

Since the tablet was smashed I bought my mom a new tablet with a leather case and a couple micro USB cables that weren't fire hazards. My mom was grateful for it. She said it didn't come with a case. After looking in the box it turned out she couldn't see the case because boxes and leather are about the same color. Now I probably have to help her pay for cataract surgery. She wants me to pirate books about succulent plants. I did download the books for her.

Attached: 9dfdac5c94cebeb02e31ad2f2d7220a9.jpg (675x338, 47K)

ever driven through a tunnel with an FM radio going?

okay

>your whole family.
>just.
>wow.
Consider moving the whole family to an assisted living facillity, and start a tab at a sleasy bar for yourself.

Attached: 1545167966533.gif (327x200, 1.54M)

that's similar to how my dad is but we're a little closer, dude taught me C when i was 10. good times

why are you watching what I presume is mid 90s Australian syndicated news?
Also boomers just want to act smart, but at least they vote correct-er than young people who want to act smart.

Do you have an Idea why your family can't figure this out? These things seem so simple. Also make sure your family has fire insurance unironically

>
Zoomers

>vote correct-er
>fuck over the next three generations

yeah yeah w/e
really though why is he watching some old ass archive?

Hes right, if something would go wrong all value is lost immediately

Radio waves are just like light, except our eyes can't see them.

Just like with light certain materials can have opacity (like glass) or be completely opaque (like metal or concrete etc) or reflective, like mirrors. The difference between various wavelengths of radio waves and visible light is how they react with other matter.

For WiFi signal/light sheet rock or thin wooden panels and wall insulation can be almost invisible and it shines right through, but thick concrete and especially metal will block it completely, but it can also reflect it. Just like if you turn on a lamp in a different room the light will bounce around and can shine through a doorway into another room, even if there's no direct line of sight to the lamp. The same way radio waves can bounce into rooms that don't have direct line of sight with the router antenna, reflected signals and signals going through walls will be weaker however, just like visible light through tinted glass.

Concrete with tons of rebar is bad for wifi penetration.

You can think of your wifi router as a big Lamp, the two antennas shine brightly and flicker really fast, the flickering are the the bits flying around.

As with any networking no signal is perfect and gets through 100% of the time. Thats why data sent over networks have error correction built in. They send a tiny amount of data, called a packet and with it a checksum. If the checksum doesn't match the data then one or the other is wrong and the receiver tells the sender to resend that packet. So while you might have a connection established, the signal can be so weak that majority of the data comes through corrupted and packets need to be constantly resent, and even then might fail and so on. This eats up the bandwidth and effectively slows down the flow of data.

Not that old just shit quality

Or you just buy a powerline adapter.

Cousin got my 83 year old grandma an ipad for xmas, she ripped the screen off trying to put a picture of her cat in it. She thought it was a picture frame.

F, good luck today user.

How is such an old lady strong enough to rip out that much glue?

Your family is retarded, but you should read up on succulents too, theyre fun to take care of.

she's not a boomer, she's old enough to be a boomers' parent

You do know that the gpu isn't used for photo processing, right?

>work as a tech at a library
>Everyone in charge of tech is a Boomer librarian
>My direct boss doesn't know how to instantiate a hard drive in Windows
>We're not allowed to use switches because "it messes with DHCP"
>Person in charge of network thought making a PC discoverable would let people hack her computer
>Boss is a compulsive liar who takes credit for any ideas I come up with almost instantly (I've been secretly feeding him bad ideas recently)

My grandpa was in charge of computers for a big bank back in the day, made a lot of the stuff for cash machines and card payment systems. The stuff he made was eventually adopted in Europe too. Before he died he finally decided to get a home PC. He had one of those "windows for Dummies" books on the computer table at all times. Miss that guy.

"no nothing" is still wrong

Can't boomers just fuck off and die already?

Attached: 1531338700242.jpg (2048x1536, 677K)

Rather than to say no one runs it I think it's more accurate to say that no one entity contributes the entire thing
Programmers who create forks and miners who propagate the system are both required for the system to function properly
It's just that it's open source so anybody can participate and work on it

70 series is where high end starts, like it or not.

You want bad, I live in a 1930s house with walls made of stucco/plaster over chicken wire. The whole place is like a giant Faraday cage, wifi is basically unusable in any room with more than one wall between it and the room the router is in. My room is maybe 30' away from the router, if you could measure point to point, but the only way I can get decent performance is with a cable around the back of the house and a second router (set up as an access point) in the room so that I can use mobile devices.

Your dad sounds like a smart person, except for the fact that he raised a cocksucker like you

We had a very awkward christmas this year because one of my nephews decided to introduce all the boomers in our family to crypto shit last year.

you are wasting energy, just not very much of it.

Setting up security cams all over their place would potentially create a good reality show.

>letting the kids play fortnite
You're worse than him.

I'd rather be fucked economically than demographically.

>when the skin color of your neighbors bother you more than your imminent death from starvation

Attached: 58c.png (1052x1137, 287K)

>thinking the stupid shit you played when you were his age was somehow better

What happened? Did they lose a ton of money?

Some penny stock suckers went along with it and did. I managed to convince the most sane relatives that it was a terrible idea.

>Starvation
Sorry pajeet, but not having food isn't even a though in the United States. Maybe that's why we care so much about letting sand niggers ruin the economy.