/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboards General

"I don't think we can celebrate New Year's anymore." edition

Previous thread:

Attached: etCGCBP.gif (240x180, 781K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K47C19S/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A257ALKOU7JKIJ
drakware.com/product/ADB2USB
pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-2-space-pack-of-4/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Topre feels really nice of course but the faster return of mx clear really evens the playing field.
I would guess that lubed 62g clears or other good tactiles are more enjoyable than topre to type on.
Also if you like linears and aren't using lubed cherry linears with a brass plate you're out of your mind because they sound fucking amazing.

Attached: waifu.jpg (1080x608, 60K)

I've bought a mechanical keyboard 2 months ago and played ous on it every day using same key as my primary button, to at least few thousands presses a day. And now it feels like that button requires more pressure to trigger and makes squeaky sound.
Do you think the shop will replace it under warranty?

Ok where are the guide.

Which keyboard do you recommand for 100€ .

Main usage will be gaming and a bit of programming.

I think i would prefer linear but I have no clue since it would be my first mechanical keyboard.

Also I saw some with flat key, what do you think about those ?

>Ok where are the guide.
brows feel shit, omigod who memed me to buy them! wtf have you done to me!

Attached: crop-IMG_6942.jpg (2592x1728, 1.9M)

wtf

thx

Oh no

Attached: A03EFF35-53B1-4910-A12E-9187161E5DEE.jpg (3264x2448, 1.56M)

Planck goons btfo

Attached: 61CD52BB-CADF-4DE4-B695-D3E02B9AF999.jpg (750x876, 182K)

I know its not really recommended but I just got the cooler master masterkeys TKL and it feels like sex on hand

gat clears were p good. I put qmx clips and rubber domes and only then could I hear the scratching of the slider with normal use.

Only furries and those with a mental disorder use cherry MX switches.
You may not like it, but it's the truth.

first time getting good keyboard
should i just get hhkb2 or go for mechanical?

hhkb2 its a glorified membrane keyboard, never buy items for that much money without ever testing them first

Anyone else using a unicomp ultra classic?
I bought one recently, and 3 of the keys had what I'd call dead areas, where pressing the key at a specific spot wouldn't register the key press.
I returned the defective keyboard to amazon and bought a 2nd. Still has the same problem, but with different keys.
Did I just get extremely unlucky and get 2 lemons in a row, or are unicomps just shit quality? My original model M has never had a single hiccup.

Just typing that, I had to go back and hit the a and r key like 3 times to get them to register multiple times.

your desk is disgusting

what keyboard is this?

might be ur usb socket that might be the problem... although I heard that unicomp's qc is going down the drain as of late.

hhkb "filthy weeb" version with hipro caps

What the fuck am I supposed to use as my function keys?

I got these in alps oranges and I need the F1-12 buttons.

>What the fuck am I supposed to use as my function keys?

>I got these in alps oranges and I need the F1-12 buttons.

Sorry forgot pic

Attached: fimctopm.jpg (1024x360, 71K)

amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K47C19S/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A257ALKOU7JKIJ

Just bought this case for my GK64, how did I do? I got a premade one with a plastic case, I've read the ribbing can press against the hotswap terminals and damage them so I needed one with just screws.

You don't need them at all faggot, you can easily remap whatever you used those keys for on one of the many other useless keys on that board. Just use the numpad for macros kek.

It's not. There's no click. It's just shit quality control from Unicomp.

I am asking for recommendations. Should have been clearer. I got my teensy on standby.

Just map them to Fn + number row like most 60% boards do.

Sad. I remember when their tooling wasn't dying that they made flawless keyboards.

Fuck, ok let me be a bit clearer since my clarification is shit.

I am asking for recommendations on what my "FN"/function layer key should be on that keyboard.

Make it either of the keys beside space then. You can remap esc to ~ or whatever like a lot of 60% boards do.

I bought this absolute unit and it is coming in today.

What switch should I replace the cherry reds for?

I was thinking some box royals, but some people are saying they are tiring on an ergo-like keyboard.

Attached: absolute unit.jpg (1600x1200, 486K)

Like specific keys. I am considering using the up arrow on the keyboard and just using the numlock to alterate between arrow keys and numpad.

>hhkb2 its a glorified membrane keyboard
Wrong.

Attached: 20180830_182437.jpg (2389x1344, 762K)

This, it is a rubber dome keyboard, but no a membrane keyboard. LURK MOAR FAGGOT

It's really a shame. I just wanted a more modern looking model M that took up a bit less desk real estate. I'll just stick with my 30 year old keyboard though I guess, since no one else makes a modern buckling spring keyboard.

Anyone feel alps are super overrated? I went to a meetup and tried blue alps and... they were ok at best. Super light and the tactility was light. I never been so disappointed. I felt like box navies were better.

Is my taste just shit or something?

Box royals aren't heavy switches really. I use box navies on my dactyl with no problem to be honest. If you want something very tactile then V2 zeals are an actually good choice, as long as you don't mind the zeal tax™.

Attached: IMG_20180926_161727.jpg (3100x1606, 830K)

Got myself a corsair strafe rgb, first mechanical keyboard teehee yay!

Attached: catgirldancing.gif (300x385, 3.92M)

yeah I heard alot of hype about that. What is the deal with v2 Zealios? I got v1s sitting in my drawer new.

Also... now that I think about it, it is not like I am going to carrying this thing as a portable keyboard. Mind as well but clicky switches in them.

Honestly this guide needs to be in the OP so newfags don't come in going on about how the model M is a rubber dome keyboard like that reddit fag

Attached: D31701F7-3F18-4792-BF2B-0411BAC9CA45.jpg (1199x781, 225K)

>cringe

Attached: opi.jpg (1600x1067, 248K)

rubber dome is an euphemism for membrane.
A membrane keyboard relies on the deformation of a little rubber dome to register a keystroke.
Admit it, you fell for the regret explanations, it happens on all hobbies, people will add complexity to their expensive toy to impress them self's.

newfags don't even read the sticky on how to ask for keyboard recommendations. What makes you think they will even look at that? I just ha

common read those fucking definitions, they are both interchangeable, stop being this delusional about having some type of secret switches lol

Nah I found them to be underwhelming as well

Attached: 20180616_141845.jpg (4032x3024, 3.97M)

The V2s are just far more tactile than V1s, honestly makes the latter feel pathetic in comparison. I don't have the force curves but just going by feel the magnitude of the bump felt pretty close to box royals, just more rounded.

fuck auto. I just hate how they are spreading misinformation The best way to correct people is to haze the newfags when they are wrong.

>rubber dome is an euphemism for membrane.
>This fucking brainlet
You realize membrane and rubber domes completely change feel in different ways right? Not to mention membrane keyboards like Buckling springs still use a kicker and snap mechanism on top of membrane so they are completely different.

Stop spreading ur brainlet lies here you fag.

>A membrane keyboard relies on the deformation of a little rubber dome to register a keystroke.
No it doesn't. That's just the cheapest actuator there is so it's the most popular one

I thought hako royals filled that void? Damn might wanna pay that zeal toll then.

see

Did you read them? They're not interchangeable.

>brainlet
>fag
>lies
>newfags

you a lost cause kid, wont waste my time with you, enjoy your fantasy definitions.

>plastic membrane
>rubber domes
Yeah, completely interchangeable....

glad u didn't even try to contradict me u newfag and just cried I called u names. Get lost and actually know what you are talking about next time you goddamn poser.

Yea the hako royals are rounder than vanilla royals. Haven't tried them so I can't tell you if they're as smooth as zeals. I remember reading that hako royals start "clicking" like vanilla royals do (aka some of the lube wears off and the switch gets louder).

What is ur fav currently?

I am leaning towards the box navies and box royals to be the best.

Honesty his guide is funny even though it's very wrong

Attached: cZkte.png (803x2689, 106K)

its obvious to most of the regulars that you are just a bunch of paid shills.
Everyone with a bit of sanity would notice that does definitions are lacking and interchangeable, you see Topre could throw another 200$ keyboard that instead of having a solid pcb it has a sheet of plastic and you shills would still call them le rubber domes.

OH FUCK NO I'M LATE
oh well I can always try

>Budget
~$150
>Location
USA
>Layout
ISO
>Form factor
TKL
>Backlight
yeah
>Previous keyboards
generic shit I just want a keyboard that works for once!
or works better anyways

I also got to try out box switches and pale blues were my favorite. I like smooth switches that aren't light. Navies and Jadies weren't smooth enough for me, but pale blues were. They felt like a less tactile and lighter version of a buckling spring

fuck my switches

I need some tactile medium (not too heavy or too light)

>USA
>ISO
why?
WASD sells bare bones ISO keyboards in the US

>its obvious to most of the regulars that you are just a bunch of paid shills.
calm down there Alex Jones. That is a big conspiracy u got there.

>Everyone with a bit of sanity would notice that does definitions are lacking and interchangeable
...do u have difficulty reading?

>you see Topre could throw another 200$ keyboard that instead of having a solid pcb it has a sheet of plastic and you shills would still call them le rubber domes.
Well... Then it wouldn't be a keyboard so no I don't think I would even acknowledge it.

Also... the fact is that the Topre is not membrane and is rubber dome so I don't know why you even throw hypotheticals when you are wrong to begin with anyways.

user... why are you a such a brainlet. If you are wrong you are wrong and you double down like the brainlet u are.

Attached: I_cheated_on_my_wife_and_my_daughter_is_homeless.jpg (480x360, 31K)

I got a white alps keyboard at a thriftstore, it feels.. okay. I like them better than cherry mx, but not as much as buckling springs.

I got some pale blues in my collection. Might give those a second try again, but I think I stopped using them cause they were so similar to cherry blues. Definitely giving it a second shot. Thanks.

dude guy is an idiot. Ignore him. He doesn't know what he is talking about. Anyone who thinks that a

plastic membrane = rubber domes. Is an idiot.

Please report back user, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one also, but was going for the new LFQ version with Silent Reds. Ideally, I'd put zilents in it but I'm an Ausfag and the cost of this is already going to be high enough without buying replacement keywells and switches straight up. How much did you pay and where did you buy it?

Good Tactiles out of box are hard to find and iso are even hard to find in the US.

I would just look for an iso keyboard with cherry clears if you can find it. I am not getting anything.

Well the meetup I went to had them with thick SA profile keycaps, and it was right next to a restored model F

damn tough luck

thanks user

See
WASD also sells them with MOD switches which are nice and tactile like cherry clears or Zealios.

drakware.com/product/ADB2USB

im researching this rubber dome vs membrane keyboard and its all a definition spaghetti competition XD fucking hilarious how this meme lasted for so long, call me names all you want the delusion will hit you hard bro

It's not tho. Just go to the keyboard wiki, heck just read the patent for buckling spring over membrane if you want the legal definition of a membrane.

>legal definition of a membrane.
>legal
kek funny because i was reading what membrane actually means right now.

I've come to realize it depends on the condition you find them in, which can make a huge difference. The design seems to be prone to dust.
That being said, I would rather take my model F over blue alps any day, but I can still respect them.

Sorry mate, just because you have shit taste doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Brainlet here. I'm building my first keyboard with MX clears, should I lube them? Is it worth it? (Also do you have to open up each switch?)

Depends on how much you really value having your switches be smooth. Yes, they do have to be individually opened.

arent most switches prelubed?
or at least that's what you od on mechanical elements but usually plastic on plastic self lubricates so maybe not

Most of the stems are made of POM, but not every switch comes prelubed (or if they do it's not much).

I have tactile greys and it was absolutely worth the 6 or so hours. I'd personally recommend doing it on the front end, as I wasn't sure I was going to do it (I have a hot swap, though). The reduced noise from the spring ping is worth it for that alone, let alone the increase in smoothness.

Will I ever get over the cringe after hitting the edgy side of the numpad enter key whenever I input something after moving shit around with the mouse? Why the fuck did they have to make that particular key so concave and sharp? I tried with regular mechanical, it had it, for one small second I was hoping the model m had the cap so I could take it off, it didn't.

pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-2-space-pack-of-4/

Enjoy your overpriced refugee switches

Honestly, I think I'll skip it. I've never felt too strongly about smoothness and I don't want to spend that much time. Maybe someday when I'm very bored...

Attached: 1530099408291.png (1190x906, 251K)

This is an imagine board and you fucks do not post enough pictures of keyboards.
There are only 8 relevant image replies out of the 86.
Friendly reminder that this is the best dye sub set.

Attached: 1512166761566.jpg (3840x2160, 2.41M)

Sorry for your shit tastes. I guess not everyone loves smooth, stable, and maybe crisp tactile switches.

Imagine being some sort of faggot with superfluous legends instead of gateron blanks

imagine using these words to describe a keyboard

Thoughts on the Kinesis Advantage 2, in particular the Silent reds version? My current switches are Aliaz 70g and I prefer the silenced sound.

I have ducky one 2 mini. Does anybody know how to increase my pointer's speed. it seems to slow for me.....

topre.

Attached: 1450968264910.png (256x256, 119K)

topre.

Attached: IMG_20181202_182302-01.jpg (1759x1920, 1.09M)

I know at least one of those words can't describe you.
I'll give you a hint it's not tactile.

Is Leopold with Cherry switches still king in terms of quality and typing experience? Looking to upgrade if I can. Has anything changed in the past few years in the mechanical keyboard world?

For a prebuilt, maybe. There are tons of options for custom builds though.

Don't tell them about you fucking the keys by playing a rhythm game excessively then maybe. How dishonest are you willing to be.

You should just buy a cheap rubber dome for your OSU.

I would be willing to do a custom build, but I have no clue where to start with it.

Durgod is about the same in terms of quality but for a lot less.