/wdg/ - Web Development General

Whoops, missed last thread dying. I changed some things in the OP, see below.

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

>Learn anything not covered by the above tutorials
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_graphics_cards.jpg (1280x1024, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/github-free-users-now-get-unlimited-private-repositories/
jsfiddle.net/m1erickson/7faRQ/
caniuse.com/#search=path
jakearchibald.com/2013/animated-line-drawing-svg/
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d eurPrice.200
cryptoradar.co/buy-bitcoin
myshort.link/blah
mylongdomain.com/blah
codepen.io/user/pen/MZXGEY?editors=0100
material.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for jQuery.

Apparently GitHub now has free private repos

techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/github-free-users-now-get-unlimited-private-repositories/

Attached: github_dictionary.jpg (816x612, 117K)

>free unlimited private repos
>20x the traffic of bitbucket
Too good to be true, don't trust it
>in b4 all private repos will be moderated and must adhere to the CoC

I think it's more likely that Microsoft is just doing this for the good PR, they don't make much money from individual end users compared to the larger business subscriptions.

Did you read the article? It literally says it's only for individual or up to 3-person groups. They're still going to make all that cash from corporations.

What is actually so good about React Hooks?
I learn react with redux at a beginner level a few months ago but haven't had time to keep learning in my spare time but a few people at work kept raving about it

Cheers for posting this. Doubt I'd have heard it soon otherwise, and this might get me to actually use GH.

Attached: 1523086094021.png (300x250, 21K)

As Dan A says, if you do not run into problems with your setup there is no reason to use redux or hooks or whatever other additions. Applies to more than just React. So many people jump into this shit because people "keep raving about it", instead of the reason you're actually supposed to upgrade/update shit which is to make things far more maintainable and efficient.

Git lab already has that feature and it is opensauce

It's already up too right now. Pretty sweet, will be moving things over from other services since my company already uses github otherwise.

>e-note
lol

github only offering free private repos because bitbucket and gitlab are gaining serious traction.

how would i make a line/div look like it's drawing across the screen? i just want it moving in one direction and then turning at an angle every now and then

without using Canvas or new css features that won't work on old browsers

create a gif of your animation in photoshop and set it to width of 100%

my guess is position absolute and transform rotate

the only issue is making it bend and carry on growing the line at that angle

gets way too heavy in file weight

animated svg or clipping path

>gets way too heavy in file weight
webm and video tag

>old browsers
define old, how far do you need to go back? IE6?

netscape navigator

lmfao, bullshit

11, could use canvas but i dont know enough

if you can't support older browsers than you shouldn't be in web development.

>old browsers
I accept IE8 as old browser, but netskape? Who would even use that? Some fucking mad man, like 0.001% or lower of the total users.

boomer here, why do zoomer webdevs use all these abstraction libraries for pretty simple things that can be done in normal JS and CSS? I'm talking about stuff like jQuery and React.

The official excuse for react is thatt it results in more maintainable code.

i said ie11

anyways i found this which works but why the fuck is canvas limited to only drawing/referencing one line or context
jsfiddle.net/m1erickson/7faRQ/

i want two of these lines in different colors side by side doing this animation but seems like canvas can't do it what the fuck is the point

Couple reasons;
>Up until very recently, JS and CSS were trash (inb4 its still trash)
>Using libraries encourages incredibly easy standards which is super important across vast teams
>Sometimes just a manager choice
>Easier maintainability especially concerning legacy browsers (ie one of JQ's main reasons for adopting)
>Fewer lines of code

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the main ones.

svg path animation, it's a thing iirc, I remember seeing something like that in csstricks

>svg path animation
but no ie11
caniuse.com/#search=path

then use a video

>you can create full-fledged game engines with canvas
>you can't have two expanding lines
Have you considered that you might just not know how to do it with canvas?

>Have you considered that you might just not know how to do it with canvas?
thats what i thought but i found stackoverflows with my exact question saying its not possible but then again i know it must be possible its such a simple thing can't find any solution for the issue anywhere though

jakearchibald.com/2013/animated-line-drawing-svg/

There's some specific instructions for IE, and you can test that link to make sure the examples work in it.

I'm learning Web Development atm, just HTML and CSS to start with.

What do you guys think of the Odin Project? It seems pretty autistic but at the same time less handholding/bullshitty that codecademy.

Is FreeCodeCamp good? What about Udemy courses?

I'm trying to make a button similar to the "sign up" button in gmail's main page, but I'm a little bit stuck

pic should be self explanatory, I hope

Attached: Untitled.png (736x419, 38K)

lrn2 margin, border, padding and width, recreate it in a jsfiddle or similar so we can solve it for your sorry ass

odin project is outdated, Ruby is the epitome of a meme dead language. FCC is great for practice and reviewing topics you learned, but it's not very good for grasping the concepts and best practices.
As for Udemy, I recommend Andrew Mead's modern JS course. It includes a pdf with everything covered in the videos. Get it on freetutorials.eu or tutsgalaxy or your favorite torrent site

forgot to add: for html/css there are a lot of free tutorials: MDN, marksheet, even w3schools is good enough for that

Is .NET Core expensive?

It's free.

I meant server cost wise

anyone knows a decent source for free png icons?

preferably decently sized, to be used on cards and stuff

I want to implement this but I don't how it's called: multiple filters on the side plus a number input. It's just a table or is there a library to specifically do this? Other examples kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d eurPrice.200
cryptoradar.co/buy-bitcoin

Attached: mcNUiYr.jpg (1269x1170, 148K)

Seeing as you can slap it on linux, no.

CoreRT exists if you want AOT compiled executables.

anyone know a hosted domain redirect service with SSL support?
e.g. to 301 redirect myshort.link/blah to mylongdomain.com/blah
where both domains are my own
my registrar offers this except they don't support SSL for the short.link

What are some open source web dev projects, /wdg/?

I know of the Mozilla's ones, but they're too complicated and bloated, I was looking for something simpler to contribute at first.

so, I'm learning bootstrap and for some reason the "fade" property for modals isn't working, as soon as I use it on a modal it causes the modal to not show up at all, but without fade it works flawlessly

also, it happens to me on bootstrap 4, but it doesn't seem to happen on bootstrap 3

anyone else experiencing this? am I missing something?

Generally in filter navigation the "checkboxes" are just a visual flair that are actually behind a hyperlink. The hyperlinks will generate a http request to the server, which runs a query based on the filter request, and then pushes the query result to the client so the display can be updated.

> Be server
> Serve a webpage that contains 5 images
>All done... Glad that's over!

> Request comes in for an img
> MFW
> Serve img

> MFW
> Serve img

> MFW
> Serve img

> MFW
> Serve img

> MFW
> Serve img

Why doesn't the server just parse the website to figure out what the client will need, and send it all at once? If that would break http protocol, why was http not designed that way? It seems inefficient to have so many requests firing back and forth.

Attached: 300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg (300x290, 9K)

trying to learn about login processes in php/mysql (storing user data on database, validating when logging in, creating a session for that user if everything's correct, etc) but I'm not having much luck at finding resources for it, care to help?

got an internship with a decently sized company today
>thanks /wedgie/

When you have multiple HTTP requests, you're going over the same TCP connection anyway. And TCP requires that the client send acknowledgement of receipts every once in a while anyway, so you're not losing that much by sending additional requests. Also, with HTTP/2, you can have parallel requests all loading simultaneously.

The virtual DOM is not a "simple thing" that can be done in vanilla JS. Vanilla DOM manipulation is much more expensive than a React or Vue re-render.

Does anyone know of a small but complex react app repository? I want to see how actual seasoned developers structure their code and whatnot

Anyone here uses styled-components?

virtual dom is pretty simple and uses the same old dom api as vanilla jas under the hood

MySQL is telling me that 3 = 3, what the hell is up with this? using utf8_unicode_ci and utf8

alright so even Jow Forums fucked that up, pic related

Attached: 1521520866525.png (86x142, 772)

> doing PHP and mysqli
> having wrote pseudocode beforehand, write a script to connect to db
> the connection object is alright, but the query is fucked
> use error methods on query after an hour of digging around
> find that the error was caused by ambiguity in the SQL statement
> fix the error
> PHP printed HTML is a mess
> fix it
> beautiful view of an inner join between two tables, done with PHP and MySQLi

The absolute joy of learning.

>Vanilla DOM manipulation is much more expensive
Why?

post your code so I can help you. here's an example in the meantime.
codepen.io/user/pen/MZXGEY?editors=0100

something like this? material.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline

Which one? And no, not Angular

Attached: 1241214214214.jpg (318x159, 9K)

I'm considering trying/learning some new web development technologies this 2019

>GraphQL
>Web Components
>Elm
>Rich Static Sites / JAM-stack.

Which among these would /wdg/ suggest learning or drop?
t. hobbyist who primarily uses MEAN-stack

>Rich Static Sites / JAM-stack
Dropping backend is such a meme, i hope it will not catch up

>t. hobbyist
Just admit you're a NEET. No shame on it

Is anyone here familiar with hackerone? I've been finding flags on hacker101 and am almost to receive one of the "private invitations", was wondering if anyone was familiar with how that actually is.

Attached: flag.png (819x95, 10K)

I just started my first junior web dev angular position. I'm struggling to understand their codebase and I'm hella confused pls help Jow Forumsents

Specifics?

can one learn web development for free or are paid courses a better option? desu some udemy courses were not as i expected (not good)

Yes, absolutely. I've never paid for shit(besides one book, all other books were pirated/free). Freecodecamp is fucking excellent. It's not all you need, though, and it is lacking a lot of shit. But I do think it's enough to make you a decent JR. developer.

Yes.
Never buy online courses unless you want a pajeet teaching you worst practices while glossing over the important bits you actually need to know about.
Instead acquire updated books not older than 2 years old. Particularly those from reputable publishers such as O'Reilly, Manning, and Pragmatic Bookshelf.

First and foremost, learn the basics: developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

Once you can build static HTML pages, with some CSS stylings, and can grasp Javascript (There are free static site hosts for you to deploy these static sites on like github, neocities, and netlify), that's when you get into the rabbithole that is server-side development and front-end. Half the shitposting on these threads are fanboys shilling their preferred frameworks/stacks (Angular vs React vs Vue, MongoDB vs PostgreSQL, PHP vs Go vs Node.js)

Alright, guys. Success. Says I'm put into a priority queue for invites.

Attached: inv.png (775x102, 11K)

Brainlet here, what's the point od having Models in mongoose.js if there are Schemas? Seems pointless and redundant.

Attached: lamer.jpg (600x459, 29K)

What features do people pay money for these days? Animated avatars?

No ads

thanks

Drop gql

I wonder this kind of thing too

Let’s say you have a busy website instead of serving a page for every request why not stream the page every second and just hook however many people are looking to that broadcast?

>> beautiful view of an inner join between two tables, done with PHP and MySQLi
it gets super tricky from there, outer joins, full joins, self joins, shit's fucked up yo

What are some ways of creating a react app except for create-react-app that don't take fucking 200mb as a project size?

Something more minimal but still working

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

>200mb as a project size?
fucking surreal man

>Hey bro check my react Todo app its in the folder projects i didn't build it yet cause it still needs some fixes haha! oh dont worry about that size its completly fine! no there aren't any images why are you asking?

What the fuck is this thing

Attached: 41214212124.png (1800x600, 29K)

just creating the files you mong

come on dude

It's not though, and an overwhelming majority of companies do not need full deep control of their backend.
So it will catch on, plenty of companies have already switched cutting down monthly costs dramatically, whether or not it'll be called serverless is yet to be seen.

Not sure if this belongs in this general but here it goes. Purchased a domain from namecheap and have been trying to set up a local server to use it (ubuntu server with apache2 and ddclient)

my ddclient.conf looks like:
use=web, web=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/getip
protocol=namecheap
server=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
login=yourdomain.com
password=your dynamic dns password
yourhost
[\code]

but obviously with different values. everytime I try to run ddclient though I get:

>FAILED: updating *mymachineshostname*: invalid reply

what do

Wow I fucked that up good

Attached: autismbatalion.png (567x567, 196K)

Okay if I just remove yourhost outright the command goes through without bitching, but if I then try to visit my domain from outside my network the shit just shows the default page from namecheap, not what I configured it as or how it appears if I go straight public IP

If it shows the default page from namecheap, then your DNS at namecheap hasn't changed (yet).
Change the A record to your IP. And then wait out the time you see at TTL.

Thanks senpai I'll give it a shot.

If you have an IPv6 address then you need the AAAA-record.

Alright here the setup right now. Let me know if anything stands out or if I just have to wait for stuff to update on their end. Never had to do dynamic dns before.

Attached: 2019-01-08-104116_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 77K)

Nothing stands out, except that you work from a subdomain called webhosttest.yourdomain.com

And you redirect your homepage yoursite.com to www.yoursite.com
And www.yoursite.com goes to a parking page from namecheap.

>And you redirect your homepage yoursite.com to www.yoursite.com
they turned that one on for me for some reason before I even installed ddclient on my machine.

>webhosttest.yourdomain.com
wait a second.... I'll be back

You should know that yourwebsite.com, www.yourwebsite.com something.yourwebsite.com are all considered different websites by your server. And are treated as unique websites. Which should also reflect in your settings.

Although the server can accept them as aliases of each other.