Does anyone use the Intel Compute Stick with Linux installed on it? it's $35 for 1GB RAM and an Intel Atom...

does anyone use the Intel Compute Stick with Linux installed on it? it's $35 for 1GB RAM and an Intel Atom. it's doesn't seem too bad. it's better than any phone you'd find for $35, at least, and you don't need to buy anything for it like you do with the $35 Raspberry pi.

Attached: intel_computestick_sizecomparison_rpi2-100580314-large.jpg (580x387, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KmdNvD0QfJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I use em for powering displays at work. They're not bad, easy to manage and flash updates to, but you get what you pay for.

I would consider buying one of these, but I’m done with Intel and it’s backdoor shit. A Raspberry costs more because of the case etc you need, but its far better than ME Backdoor shit.

Sadly the Raspi has closed source drivers (at least I think so), is there a good alternative with full FOSS compatible drivers?

get a chinese android box for 35$ and put linux on it
more ram, more usb ports, can run 4k video

This. I'm never buying Intel trash again. And by the way, the I/O on the Raspberry Pi makes them worth it. Those shitty stick PCs don't do Ethernet or offer enough USB ports to make me buy one.

no thanks chang

The atom is much better than the ARM shit on the rp

Did you read my reason why I don’t want it?
Fucking CIA nigger

I said, buy Intel.

They're garbage. Had one as a Kodi box behind my TV and it was awful, a RasPi would've been infinitely better.

Shit stuttered like mad on any video playback, couldn't have more than 3 firefox tabs open before shitting itself, and died after a year. Just straight up no more video output.

Just get an adequate SoC or a small computer.

I'd like these if they were not so damned expensive in the higher spec, at the price point the better ones go for you can buy a much better nuc,even the shitty 150 dollar nucs are basically quad cores now.

libre computer - cheap too

there are $150 nucs?

I hate compute sticks for their fans, any load and they spin up

nuc6cayh is $130 but you need memory and SSD

I'm not in the USA so based that statement on dolar equiv, but as far as i am aware let me check, that wont include ram or ssd.

chink nucs
and you can get ones without storage/ram for like $60

Ok my figures/specs are slightly out, found a dual core NUC7CJYH for 153 dollars.

I was thinking more the NUC7PJYH @ 203 dollars. I honestly thought it was cheaper, but maybe stateside you can find this closer to 150.

NUC7PJYH, 4-Core Pentium Silver J5005, DDR4 SO-DIMM, 2.5" SATA3 Bay, HD Graphics 605, 2x HDMI 4x USB 3.0

youtube.com/watch?v=KmdNvD0QfJY

Oh you can get atom nuc likes for sub 100, i meant something with a little more power than a low end compute stick, was thinking better performance than the higher end m3/m5 compute sticks for a cheaper cost.

>atom
celery actually

There's a 2GB model.
The compute stick is extremely shit. Atom CPUs are absolute garbage and this one is even underclocked so the stick doesn't overheat. Expect terrible performance.
Installing Linux on this shit can be a pain.

It's called a miniPC, and yes there are sub 200$ ones all of which outperform this stick simply because of better cooling and more RAM. They're a much better investment than (((Intel))) nucs. There's a bunch of them on gearbest, including a few models which come with Linux so Linux support is guaranteed. A better option is to go with MintBox Mini2/Pro, but those are 300-350$.
Ataribox is 220$ and coming out soon, it uses an AMD CPU which is a big plus.

the 1gb model is $35 and comes with Linux preinstalled

>youtube.com/watch?v=KmdNvD0QfJY

What a time to be alive

But it's 1GB. It's useless, the preinstalled Linux is Ubuntu which can't even run properly on 4GB RAM with more powerful than Atom CPUs. You'll have to install an extremely minimalist distro anyway.
This thing can't even output 1080p@60fps without lagging from what I remember.

1 GB is a no go. ~$30 will get you 2GB Android box. Put LibreELEC up there or leave it as is and enjoy.

People who tolerate chinkshit because it's cheap are disgusting.

Attached: zhoustein.png (505x576, 34K)

The Pi's firmware is closed source so there could easily be another backdoor for all you know. I'd recommend looking into free software SBCs, plenty exist.

can I run Windblows and Adobe Creative Suite on it?

What can you do with android though? Run instagram with those 2G of ram?

Hook up mouse and keyboard, watch YouTube, use Chrome or Firefox, watch movies and TV shows, stream UFC events, music, multitask, I don't know.

You can on a proper mini pc. HP prodesk/elitedesk mini, thinkcentre tiny, dell optiplex mini etc. all available ex-corporate on ebay. Prices vary a lot.

Attached: hp_elitedesk_2.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

Thanks for the great advice.
On a side note: Would it be possible/economically feasable to run windows and the creative suite on a cloud platform somewhere so I could just VNC to it remotely from my linux client? Or would a local VM be a better choice for that?

If you're that poor and want a computer, wait until your neighborhood's electronic recycling day and take your pick up of any ten year old Core2Duo machine that people are inevitably discarding. I always see those C2D prebuilt machines being thrown away around here and the performance of that will knock the socks off of any Atom or ARM meme piece of shit.

This, bonus if Thinkpads.

Or would a local VM be a better choice for that?

VM. All my PCs get them. Insanely handy, free, no downside and great for testing cracked software then reverting to a previous snapshot if no joy.

Why the fuck would you run CC in a VM or some low-spec computer? Are you literally fucking stupid?

Attached: Screenshot_20181205-105522_Firefox.jpg (720x714, 256K)

Windows 10 keeps getting pwned by what I think are undiscovered bitcoin miner trojans.

CC is the only thing I use windows for. I don't need windows as my main PC. I want to be able to photoshop dank memes using decent software that isn't open sores while using ratpoisonWM and a linux terminal as my main OS.

Whats the power like on these things? Could I run MPV or Kodi or something?

Rpi isn't libre hardware

Would you recommend these for distributed multihead aka a video wall? All they'd need to do is run an X session while the main PC does all the hard computing. Get like 12 of them with 12 cheap monitors.

Look into libreelec. You can probably find lots of forum posts from people who installed it on these kinds of things. Kodi works much better on lower end hardware without all the OS overhead.

Looks like hot garbage and it's Intel so you know its botnet. What do you need for a pi? You're telling me you don't own a phone charger?

You basically need a phone charger and an HDMI cable.

Why do you need an HDMI cable? Why the fuck would you run a graphical interface on an embedded system?

Pi zero costs 5 dollars and can be powered over USB.

Because

A) it's not an embedded system. It's a full computer that can be used as a desktop. Even though you can embed it, it's not advertised for that alone. There are screens, laptop cases, and all sorts of other accessories sold for it that would facilitate general computing on a Raspberry Pi. I'm actually shitposting from mine now.

B) it's easier to just set it up with a display even if you are using it headless afterwards.

Attached: retarded_Wojak_landing_pad_Pepe_helicopter.jpg (400x421, 17K)

If you have to use a display for anything you suck, I have mine as a headless system I can access from VPN at any time, and I can get everything done in command line.
And yes, pi zero is considered an embedded system, and it's explicitly sold as a learning tool and an embeddable computer.

Just because you can shitpost from the command line doesn't mean you should force yourself to. Because I can is the reason I do a lot of pointless things. But if you don't want to there's no reason to convince yourself you need to. That user found a perfectly good use for a $30 computer. I've used mine headless for various tasks and I've also had them plugged into my TVs, mostly for playing back videos and emulating old console games. The Pi is versatile, cheap, and plentiful. You're retarded for thinking it's a one trick pony.

I don't think it's a one trick pony, the point of a pi is to find new novel uses for it. I'm just an argumentative asshole and assumed you were OP trying to shill his Intel USB dildo didler 9000

but you can buy only one per customer

They have a Windows one with 2GB RAM.

I have it somewhere in my drawer of "electronic devices I stopped using after a hour of fun"

Really wish HDMI2 had come with power delivery

Attached: 快樂的商人2.jpg (501x585, 42K)

Waiting for cheap compute stick with at least 2gb ram so I can run windows.

Linux is just not for me, it works but it takes me 3x the time to get something working compared to windows and it's so easy to fuck up installation.

What is the state of windows on arm? Why is there no cheap chink arm sticks that can run windows?

Rock64 = no botnet

VPN Hotspot (PiHole, TorBox)
You can make a web server.
Use it as a media box.
Run GBA/GBC, NES, PS1 games.
You can try and install Linux with UserLAnd and do some things you'd do on linux.

tell me what to do with compute sticks?

if it runs win 10:
-what to do because no screen
-how do I even operate this thing
-what good can it do

if it runs Linux:
-yeah I can probably send commands to it after logging in wirelessly with ssh
-but what does it do and why wont I just use the very laptop where this stick is connected to do the same

>what to do because no screen

RDP is very very good for remote access. Tried all kind of linux remote protocols and they're all shit compared to rdp.

You can also get chink rdp terminal for like $30 or so.

>Tried all kind of linux remote protocols and they're all shit compared to rdp.
how did you miss SSH?

ssh like in console or as transport protocol for GUI frontend?

I've tried all combinations for the former, vnc, xrdp, pure x11 over compressed ssh, they're all shit compared to m$ rdp.

As for pure console I guess it's ok but it's not for me, I absolutely prefer working in GUI.

mostly for text shell, as well as all the other functions ssh has (like port tunneling, dynamic proxy, file transfers, etc)
there's next to no reason to have a graphical shell on a remote machine, it's just slower and less flexible

100$= second hand quad core Pentium 4GB RAM lap

So it's like a linux server with extra steps?