How the fuck you can people stand using WMs other than dwm and terminals other than st?

how the fuck you can people stand using WMs other than dwm and terminals other than st?
I cant stand using anything else, I always go back to my comfy config.h's.

Attached: 2019-01-07-1546900617.png (1366x768, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tinycorelinux/tinyx
discordapp.com/channels/@me
github.com/bhilburn/powerlevel9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tried both. They are pretty impressive pieces of software, but I rather stick to stacking WMs and mlterm. I don't mind a bit bloat.

>X11
Bloated.

Attached: 1458546951680.jpg (474x479, 47K)

not everybody has the time to get familiar with all this shit, and by everyone i mean only a limited group of people who even have a slight reason to go down this rabit hole (developers and maybe scientists/engineers). if i didn't have a year of neetdom in my career no way i would have been using the stuff i do today

>dwm
I like i3 better.
>st
But I am.
>And the rest of the suckless suite
I use dmenu.
>Are you a pleb or something?
At least I'm not an Arch user.

Attached: 2019-01-06-205253_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 442K)

dwm is a better stacking wm than most stacking wms. it's not a tiling window manager, but a dynamic window manager

> Putting all but one terminal in the master area so that people don't notice that rightmost gap bug in the client area.
Why are you trying to fool us, user?

just use tmux or screen if all you want is tiling

st is a fucking meme terminal.
I get not wanting bloat but calling fucking SCROLLING "bloat" is cancer.

I use dmenu,st, and sxiv but haven't bothered trying dwm yet. I'm happy with i3.

i3 is simple as Superkey+arrows, numbers and toggles between tabbed and split. dwm easy to have like that?
Why st over urxvt though?

Attached: Jahysama.png (1478x1008, 321K)

just install a version with scrolling?

this

> What is a patch

what should I use instead nigger?

Attached: moth.jpg (640x709, 88K)

You should be using a Wayland compositor.
A Wayland compositor is actually more minimal than X11 + a window manager.

>he runs wayland but with pulseaudio and systemd

tty. I'm *this* close to switching to ttys all the time. all I use X for is watching videos sometimes. I don't even use more than 1 terminal either because of tmux.

ok but you're autistic

Yeah dwm is basically the same thing, except much lighter.

> Why st over urxvt though?
Again, same thing but lighter. Urxvt fucking sucks at special unicode characters and w3m image display (ranger previews), while st handles them nicely.

>1366x768
Wheeze.jpeg

Wayland has absolutely nothing to do with pulseaudio and systemd.

dwm is whatever the fuck you want it to be

if you're going to take white dick up the ass you might as well take nigger cock too

i know they don't have anything to do with eachother but the point was. that you're saving weight on this faggot shit but you probably are getting yeeted by pulse and shitstemd still because you're a gay nigger

suckless sucks

bspwm + termite is better

No idea OP, I use both.

CWM > DWM

Attached: 1546199024768.png (3060x3060, 3.86M)

>dwm
i3 is better
>st
Needed transparency so termite is nice
>arch linux
Use parabola instead. Arch has non-free packages.

tfw pure alsa + openrc

Attached: 2018-12-29-1546135971.png (1366x768, 826K)

>tfw using suckless tools provides me with a perfectly portable setup that installs itself just by running a simple bash script

Attached: 2018-12-30-1546218137.png (1366x768, 672K)

How's that electricity bill going? How many hours left till your packages finish updating?
>I already have this dick up my ass so let me fit in 50 more
Yeah but there's no decent Wayland compositor. sway is a bloated mess and the rest are meme tier or trash like GNOME.

>Arch user
>Absolute no arguments when confronted about it
>Has the audacity to insinuate that others take dicks in the ass while eagerly slurping down his maintainers' schlongs
Good joke, friend.

Attached: arch linux.png (1169x3679, 513K)

dwm is better and st has transparency

Attached: faggot.png (634x215, 34K)

>wayland
>accusing someone of using bloat
TinyX is the only white choice desu
github.com/tinycorelinux/tinyx

>sway is a bloated mess
Please give your retarded reasoning for that.

There is still a lot of retardation that something claiming to be an X server has to do.
And if it's missing so many X extensions, it's truly going to be 1970's era garbage that nothing written in the last 20 years is going to work on.

Also, I forgot to note that the repo you linked hasn't been touched in ages.

I can use a mimimal window manager and ultra light terminal and dick around getting it all set up right, or I can use a full featured desktop environment and get on with my day
hmmmm...

just come back to gnome and tilix, white man

Could you share that wallpaper?

>discord
Opinion immediately discarded.

i just use cinnamon and get actual work done not like your rice niggers

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-25 09-38-47.png (1366x768, 1.13M)

Why are you using st instead of urxvt?

>Some may argue and say that st is lighter or that lxterminal is better, but if you’re only going to run a single instance of a terminal emulator without needing the support for scrolling back up then go with st… Otherwise, you can heavily benefit from urxvt. Once you get the daemon (urxvtd) running, you can open for example 100 clients (urxvtc) and the memory footprint would roughly stay the same. Try opening 100 tabs in lxterminal or opening 100 instances of st and measure its memory usage and see for yourself

I can't. however I would like dwm built on xcb instead of xlib because people tell me it's better.

Attached: 2019-01-08_03:16:31.png (1920x1080, 464K)

>chrome
why ruin such a great distro + DE?

I like the idea of Wayland, but I'm struggling to find non-GNOME related software to use with it. Any suggestions? I like sway, seems pretty great to me. How does velox compare to it? Are there any web browser's you would recommend that don't require xorg? I was looking at otterbrowser.

what do you do for work

I moderate an internet community that discusses chinese culture

do you even get paid for that?

Of course. Why would anybody want to do that sort of thing for free?

>Riot has as bad of a ToS and Privacy Policy, directly competes with Slack instead of Discord or Skype, has an extremely user-unfriendly UI, and is still a web application
>Teamspeak/Mumble are more focused on VOIP, and text chat is a second-class citizen at best (the former is proprietary anyway)
>Tavrn seems to be directly competing with discord, has the right ui, but has no voip support, and is a meme
You can't name an alternative and you don't have an argument.

Attached: 1544111496085.jpg (524x700, 41K)

Dmenu is good, I tried using ii but it's terrible.

I have problems with dwm, they claim it's easy to hack it to add features, but it has almost no comments and the code is so dense in most places as to be unreadable.

come back to i3, white man

Thank you very much.

Nah, I like dwm, it just also has problems. Thanks though.

Is that your setup? Does conky appear on every tag?

I personally just made a text file with rofi -show run in /usr/bin and named it dmenu. Gave it chmod +x and it works fine

Attached: file.png (1366x768, 1.25M)

Rofi is fine, I like dmenu though. Did you think 'ii' was supposed to be 'it'? ii is the suckless irc client and it's kind of retarded.

Reminder: Unix-like desktop users are a small minority, very few of them use tiling windows, and fewer would bother with suckless. I would be very surprised if more than 20 people in the entire world use DWM.

Not him, but it's really fucking annoying to try and search for it with a name like that.

I'd be surprised if it was under 1000.

>google chrome
>spacefm
>discord
>wpa_gui
>subl3
>firefox
>spotify
why not just use windows 10 ltsc at this point?

Windows 10 deletes your files

dwm is a lovely wm, used it for years. been using xmonad recently though, it's quite nice. pretty much acts the same as dwm oob, and is easier to customize with the big repo of extensions

It's on my Second partition actually. Good eye,
google-chrome because i need specific features chromium doesn't offer (Flash, Widevine, some Pearson books won't work)
>SpaceFM
literally the best FM
>wpa_gui
nothing wrong here
>Discord
no alternative, and it's not even the native client I've just made a text file in /usr/bin with
google-chrome --app=discordapp.com/channels/@me
>Subl3
I use nvim, but Subl3 just looks better for a text editor/word processor (autistic, I know)
>Firefox
old link, doesn't work
>Spotify
Sisters pay for it, I don't put a dime forth

Attached: 2019-01-07-215748_859x111_scrot.png (859x111, 20K)

All suckless here but that is to be expected as suckless generally provides outstanding support for OpenBSD.

Attached: 2019-01-07-185931_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 966K)

Why does everything need to be "minimal"? Is your computer THAT old?

dayum BSD look like dat?

> kernel 4.9.0
damn, is that the default on devuan or are you just autistic?

Based and redpilled

because I don't have autism

>Suckless
>Ranger
Get your PyCuckery out of here.

Wayland IS a compositor you retard. You install it then just use whatever DE/WM you like, you don't need Compton or a compositor that comes with a DE you install.

>having to recompile your window manager every time you wanna change something instead of modifying a config file, clicking save in the editor, and pressing a button to refresh the workspace
Terrible design.

Attached: 20190107165109_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 114K)

>Wayland IS a compositor
No, it's a protocol. Wayland compositors follow the Wayland protocol. There is no "Wayland compositor."

seething pylet

I'm fully aware of what a Wayland compositor is. Wayland is itself a protocol and a reference implementation of that protocol.
>You install it then just use whatever DE/WM you like
No, that is not how it works. A Wayland compositor is itself a display server. There is no X11 or anything else running below it.
I can't just run KDE's under Gnome's Wayland implementation.

>how can you use something besides suckkess suit
>uses systemd distro

How is Lennarts Hamburg drag Queen Cock tasting?

>being a redhat nigger
>systemdicks + pulse + wayland + chrome
>using gnome with even more bloat
back to plebbit with you

>PyCuckery

Fair enough, you're right.

>Having to read additional files on startup instead of a single binary.
>Not knowing the full extend of your program at compile time.
Typical scriptfag

What programs are you using for:
>Bar
>Shell
>PS1
?

>what is convenience and ease of use

>I'll take the opposite of minimalism, Alex

might as well use windoze right?

Windows is neither of those things though.

It takes all of 5 minutes to get used to dwm

>having to recompile your window manager every time you wanna change something instead of modifying a config file, clicking save in the editor, and pressing a button to refresh the workspace

echo "make -C /path/to/dwm" >> ~/.xinitrc
ln -s /path/to/config.h .dwmrc

Hmm...
Hmm...

Looks like someone lacks a liiiittle imagination.

As if you defend that viewpoint for anything else.

>if it's not an absolute bitch to use it isn't minimal
What if I told you suckless niggers that you can have the best of both worlds, and that you're fucking yourselves over by using inferior shitware like dwm. Minimalism isn't fewer lines of code or a lower package count. It's about security, code quality, and the efficient use of system resources.

Extra hard to swallow pill: Not having title bars on your windows doesn't make your setup minimal.

>one click opens my text editor
>two clicks opens the config
>two clicks saves it
>one more click restarts the workspace

Attached: 1472371260061.jpg (528x444, 36K)

Shell is zsh and I'm gonna get shit for that; the OpenBSD k shell is famed. Status bar is something called dstat (not to be confused with the dstat from Linux), specifically written for OpenBSD which I've modified a bit. PS1 comes from powerlevel9k which most people here will be familiar with:
github.com/bhilburn/powerlevel9k

>google-chrome because i need specific features
Same. My fucking college is kicking my ass with this one, it's probably one of my least favorite things to emerge.
>literally the best FM
No, outside of just using your terminal xfe exists.
>even the native client I've just
Look into ripcord. I really wish I didn't have to use discord, but it can't be helped.

Zsh tab completion is keno. I've been trying to get around it creatively but it's hard

>click
>click
>click

Are you sure you belong here?

Good engineering wherever possible, and slapdash begrudgingly

Pointing and clicking is more intuitive than learning dozens of keyboard shortcuts for mundane shit. Are you sure you belong here, you special snowflake moron? Go to reddit if you want asspats for being different.

Attached: cabacidor.png (1000x1800, 51K)

momma told me not to feed the trolls but... why would you use a tiling or minimal window manager outside of openbox if you prefer mouse?

I said i use cinnamon and somehow you retardnigger think its gnome.