I bought a Dell XPS a few months ago and it is constantly overheating even during normal use, I have it on my lap...

I bought a Dell XPS a few months ago and it is constantly overheating even during normal use, I have it on my lap, but sometimes I have it on a table - and it nearly always overheats. It's 16gb RAM, and i7 processor with a graphics card - and so I assuemd it would be fine.

How can I prevent it from overheating, what can I do?

Is it dust build up?

Why is this laptop so bad, and why is nobody reporting about the failures of the Dell XPS.

Help please

Attached: dell-xps-13-touch-2016-gold-edition_dvrv.640.jpg (640x359, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QBNP5I2y668?t=407
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't buy a laptop that's as thin and light as possible if you want to have proper thermals, dumbass

>Why is this laptop so bad, and why is nobody reporting about the failures of the Dell XPS.
A lot of people actually have.

XPS has poor QC. Look up XPS repaste. At a minimum you want to repaste the CPU and GPU. Possibly the VRM too but it may be tougher on the latest versions with the GORE insulation

Sell it and buy a thinkpad then install gentoo you insufferable noob

>I bought a pancake filled with high performance parts.
>Why is it like a toaster?
Is your common sense broken?

Honestly, if you bought this new thin shit meme laptop with high end desktop GPU(and I consider GTX1060 high end in laptops)where you cant even remove battery, you desrve what you got.

Best way to design laptops is to give them mobility while disabling discrete GPU .
What i mean by this..
When you game some demanding heat-maker vidya on it , it is stationary and plugged,battery out, it's on laptop coolerpad!? and
when you browse,watch movie and just fool around, CPU with integrated graphic is on.

It has to be fat, it just has to,if there is no transfer of air, heat builds up over time no matter how good cooling is..
Now , one would say :"Well, why not buy tablet and desktop PC?!"4
Because you can still put it in a bag and have whole experience...
Good gaming desktop PC(you need table, monitor, chair etc) is just too much space in world of people who rent their living space etc..

AFAIK, Lenovo has some good laptops for gaming

>unironically shilling gayming laptops
Jow Forums has gone completely down the drain. It's been taken over by kids and 3rd world peabrained retards from Jow Forumsamd

Does the HP Spectre have these problems?

which model? i have an x360 and it's fine. In general, though, thin laptops have worse thermals.

Should of got a insperon

The x360 15" models with the better GPU options did. I've heard people say repasting helps tons.

Again, it's not the size, it's shitty thermal paste slathered on so it's choking the cooling. The XPS 15 9360 and 9370, even with 45W CPUs and dGPUs work fine after a repaste of the CPU and GPU. But the XPSs do also have an issue with the VRM in some workloads, at least on the 9360 it was a simple simple, just add thermal pads to bridge the vrm to the chassis. The 9370 has an insulator though so it may not work a well.

if its fat, its ok..
there was a time they made them good, they were ugly as fuck but they at least worked as intended..

Design emerged around ~2015-2016, they were plastic,fat,big, black and red and ugly , they looked as "gamer" as they could but they worked good with desktop level components.
If you can get over looks, just look for similar design(pic related), now, i'm not saying it has to be this model or firm, but just this shitty design is actually good for gaming.
Now they try to make it thin, but all they need to do was to remove red .

Attached: MSI-GT80-Titan-Gaming-Laptop.jpg (540x312, 10K)

but, it is size, even with shitty thermal paste removed, temps throttle, it's just question of time

how has nobody said this yet:

open up the task manager and see if the CPU is really being pegged at 90%+ usage, see if it's working super hard. If it is something may be running you don't know about

that's probably it

look at the size of the air vents on that fucker

I have a Dell XPS 15 (9560) with 4k, 16 Gb ram, 512gb ssd and 94wh Battery. Right now it's dualbooted with Winblows 10 and Arch. After repasting it and tweaking some kernel flags I get about 6-10 hours of battery with no fan usage. The issue is the quality varies so much so you're never sure if you'll get a lemon

>open up the task manager and see if the CPU is really being pegged at 90%+ usage, see if it's working super hard. If it is something may be running you don't know about
this

OP has not even said what he is doing. On a reboot if you just have a browser open your shit should not overheat, see what is running then complain

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 10.36.05 PM.png (440x570, 400K)

Never buy a Dell dumb fuck lol btw this isn't a customer service

this thing was supposed to be a macbook killer as i remember

>The issue is the quality varies so much so you're never sure if you'll get a lemon
NEVER a problem with the macbook line

A 8850h and a 1050ti max-q is only like 80W. It's fucking nothing. That's the normal scenario. A normal laptop heatsink and fan can easily handle. The intel-vega 8705G mobile is even lower at a measly 65W total for the CPU + GPU + HBM package

youtu.be/QBNP5I2y668?t=407

HP is probably worst laptop maker atm.
Then Dell.
Lenovo,ASUS & MSI(who would tell?!) are actually capable of creating a good product.

1050ti max-q and 8850h are not desktop level components.

I was talking about i7-7700HQ(and the like)+ desktop level gtx10#0(TI or not) shoved into 2-3(4.7) cm laptops

>i7
>16 gb of ram
>"gaming"
user, I...

Attached: 1507259674652.png (300x300, 9K)

If you have Windows, go into your power settings and somewhere there are options to save power. Usually three settings; normal, conservative, and max power (uncapped).

HP is cancer. My parents bought new laptops (one Dell one HP) and the HP one had fuck tons of bloat and a prompt about anonymous telemetry that you can't get rid.

The Dell just had two programs to get rid of by comparison.

The 8850H is the 6-core 35/45W 7700HQ replacement for the 8th gen. The 7700HQ really isn't that heavy either. It has the same 35/45W configurable TDP. Even with another 40W it's easily doable by the heatsink and fan all these "thin" laptops use.

These things are dust magnet housefires, clean the fan exhausts and re paste the machine.

>I bought a Dell XPS
there's your problem bro