How the FUCK do I get my old CRT monitor to work?

How the FUCK do I get my old CRT monitor to work?
I wanted to have the old thicc n' heavy monitor experience again so I plugged in my old CRT monitor from 2001 (through a VGA to HDMI adapter)
It seems to work in the first few seconds, showing an accurate picture of the desktop and all, but then it seems to lose signal after a few more seconds, and then repeat.
The strange thing is that it does so not in a wonky way, but a predictable way every time, as if it is a software issue of some kind.
Overall it doesn't seem like the thing is broken.

Any online resources I can readily find on this are either outdated or drowned out by modern monitor issues that get dredged up all together by search engine algorithms
Wat the fuck do I do?

Attached: IMG_20190108_012759.jpg (4608x3456, 3.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWFT8NG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

send it to me I can fix it for free

>VGA to HDMI adapter
first place i would try, replace it with another (or try a different connection method)

Then check cables and swap them to see if that fixes it. This is really stupid but all the plugs are plugged in properly, right? You don't have a loose video cable?

What model is your graphics card?

give me that monitor

Attached: 3snapshot_21.49.png (1920x1080, 3.28M)

Better pic with the text (hopefully) somewhat clearer from when it goes no signal
I am retarded and slightly drunk so I don't know why it is sideways when I post the pics

I've tried plugging it into:
VGA -> HDMI -> GPU
VGA -> HDMI -> DVI (new kind) -> GPU
and even into a different old computer that has a VGA port on its graphics card directly

GTX 1050 Ti

Attached: IMG_20190108_012810.jpg (1732x2309, 248K)

Ok OP I think I know what you need, it is the glorious VGA to DVI adapter. Purchasing a new one would be the best result, I think you're going to run into issues with HDMI or using two adapters

I don't think the gtx 1000 series have analog support. 900 series still should have it though if you want to downgrade.

1000 series video cards no longer support vga. You need an active converter or an older videocard

the last supported CRT monitors are nvidia 900 series
i'm on 3.5GB

Attached: snapshot_08.09.png (1920x1080, 2.31M)

Yeah they have a DVI but not a VGA.

HDMI and DP mostly. I would never buy a high end card which still supported old shit

Thank you frend
Do you think it matters whether it is DVI-D or DVI-I ?
Sadly my gpu doesn't have the old kind with the four extra pins

I know this damn monitor works because I used it about two or three years ago to at a lan party and it worked then, but I forget what graphics card I had at that time and also at the time it jus' twerkt.

No you don't understand. Your video card is incapable of creating an analog signal, period. Your old dvi adapter is passive, it does nothing to the analog signal it gets via dvi.

I actually ran into this issue yesterday when trying to set up two different LCD monitors with VGA cables.

Yes DVI-I is the old style with the four extra pins, DVI-D is the new kind. You need a VGA to DVI-D adapter, unfortunately using a $5 passive adapter probably will not work because you need what is called an "active adapter" which provides more power, designed especially for CRT, like this product

amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWFT8NG

Oof.
I kinda figured this might be the case
Next thing to try is just installing my old graphics card again but that will have to wait until morning

I was hoping I could use the old CRT alongside my modern monitors with my modern GPU, because that would be fuckin' cool

If I had to guess, the problem would most likely be that the HDMI->VGA converter is an older standard (HDMI 1.1, perhaps 1.2) and doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to drive the higher refresh rate of the CRT. It certainly fits the abrupt blanking after a few seconds.
Try to get an adapter that uses HDMI 2.0, or at least 1.4.

An excerpt from the review section of that amazon page:

"Just to be clear...if you have a DVI-D port on your docking station, laptop, computer, etc. and you want to hook a VGA monitor up to it, you will need this product. This active converter "downgrades" the signal from digital to analog (which is what VGA is). "

The active adapter changes the digital signal from the graphics card into an analog signal for the CRT. Passive adapter doesn't change the signal.

You're welcome. user

Attached: rotate90.png (723x923, 803K)

That works. I have a 1070ti but I use an ancient 8600gts to output to my Trinitron clone.

kek thanks

And thank you to all anons itt for your help

Attached: 1519238182335.png (800x800, 523K)

you're welcome m8
this has been a surprisingly wholesome thread

I agree
This is what good Jow Forums looks like

Can Confirm I use DVI-I >VGA adapter For mine

Attached: 1545972441360.jpg (4032x2268, 2.95M)

>digital to analog converter is a downgrade
fucking normalfags that fall for marketing/advertising tactics

I have a HDMI -> VGA active adapter and can confirm the signal is a bit delayed and it really looks different thus degraded, the monitor that I tested have both HDMI and VGA and they look fine without the adapter.

fuck off isac