Can't IPv4 just fucking die already

Can't IPv4 just fucking die already

Attached: images (37).jpg (562x408, 28K)

IPv6 still has its issues... So I'm lead to believe

botnet

And empower the trackers and three letter agencies by associating any device with a constant address? Fuck it.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x489, 27K)

I like to have my addresses easily readable and not to give out my hardware ID

I'd be happy to keep IPv4 around of my ISP wasn't CGNAT. It's breaking remote access to all of my shit.

Because it just werks, people are just to cheap to upgrade infrastructure, you gonns help pay for it?

That was deprecated years ago user

>implying they need ipv6 adoption for this

IPv4 / NAT is a near perfect solution for normal people.

It is until you need to remote into your shit.

Boomers, Some Cyber Sec guy told me that "we will never run out of ipv4 IPs to give out", this was just last year, and had to show him how we are out have have been out of ipv4 for a couple of years now, he looked dumbfounded, he is in the same fucking field I am.

Attached: 1544681761415.png (413x437, 148K)

Haha? What? Static IP or dynamic DNS, stop being retarded.

He's talking about CGNAT, which is only getting more common because of ipv4 shortage.

Consider yourself lucky if you're not on CGNAT yet, it's a fucking hell

>call ISP
>please remove CGNAT or I move to another ISP
Literally takes 2 minutes.

I am, I can't even open ports for fucks sakes.

I was and it's there by default on my ISP, and then I just told them to turn it off and they did.
Not hard, maybe if you only had a single ISP in the area that doesn't want to turn it off. Then you're fucked.

Where do you even live? I haven't seen ISPs handing static IPs for free in a while

Doesn't have to be static, just public.

Croatia. And it's not static, I still get it through DHCP but since my modem is in bridge mode and I have my own router the IP doesn't change at all until I tell it to change.

Some applications still seem to have problems with it. Although I believe it's my router that causes it. Last time I checked the logs it almost seemed like it changed the IPv6 address of my machines every minute. I didn't bother to look further though and just disabled IPv6. Problem solved, for now.

(You)
>It is until you need to remote into your shit.

I specifically said:

>for normal people

Remote access is unusual. Call our ISP and ask for carrier grade NAT to be turned off. Mine did for free. You could also use other NAT penetration techniques.

>Static IP or dynamic DNS, stop being retarded

Nah, that won't help there, because you'll be sharing that IP address with others.

They just told me to move to an enterprise plan for a static IP. The only other fiber company in the area is the same

Why isn't there a ddns service with a dynamic updater client that works for IPv6 by the way?

>They just told me to move to an enterprise plan for a static IP. The only other fiber company in the area is the same
Lmao.

I own a /64 subnet as part of a rented server, and I decided to use it together with the server as an external entry point for my globally-accessible dynamic mesh VPN. Then I realized IPv6 doesn't exist in my country because the main ISP is one giant semi-incompetent kikefest.
You can still masquerade if you want to. There is nothing that could prevent this.
>why is there no ipv6 ddns service
roll your own.

The fact it doesn't have NAT problematic. People use NATing as a security mechanism, and the ivory tower fucks are like "lol NAT was never supposed to be for security so fuck off".

Wait, so if I go with ipv6 I couldn't put a NAT rule on my router that tells it to block any DNS server queries that I don't specify or redirect them to localhost?

What a shitnozzle

Let's say an ISP wants to buy some new network equipment for it's infrastructure.
Does all new equipment support ipv6 if configured, or are they still selling brand new ipv4 only shitboxes?

Anything made in the last 10 years supports ipv6, unless they roll with an ancient OS with a hack as fuck ipv6 implementation they can do it, but training cost is a different issue.

Good, based knowledgeable user, at least there's hope.
And did the "internet of things" buzzword craze do anything to push ipv6?

>Does all new equipment support ipv6 if configured
Virtually all carrier grade routers in production now, yes.

Some have some fucked up bugs though, like the ASR series have a DSCP rewrite issue with ipv6 that cisco took ages to fix

We just have to get the US Govenment let go of their one billion IPv4 addresses.

That's not a NAT rule, that's firewall on your gateway.

The problem is that a lot of servers/computers simply don't have firewalls because they're behind a NAT, they can effectively only make outbound-initiated connections only. NAT is treated as a firewall, in some ways it's better than a firewall because routing is a lower network layer.

During the 90s, before home routers became popular. Everyone was sharing NetBIOS over the public internet. People were getting viruses that would relay spam email (ISPs just universally block port 25 now). You could infect someone with a trojan and just directly connect to them.

Home routers/NATing may be the single largest thing that has happened over the decades to improve general internet security for normie users.

Attached: 1519917332521.png (380x438, 115K)

it just works man

We were going to run out of IPv4 addresses eventually, it's not the fault of the iot meme. There are not enough addresses for every single person in the world with just one device connected.

This. Using 32-bit addresses was a dumb, near-sighted decision from the start.

IPv4 addresses is hard to remember. Also, it's not like NAT solved most of the issues with "running out of IP addresses"

No they're not
Just disable SLAAC and choose your own local address.

Does he know what NAT is?
Does he know why it was implemented?
Or maybe know that 32^2 isn't that much for the entire world?

It's scary that we share occupations with people like that.

duckdns works with ipv6 as far as I can tell.

Well there will be growing pains.
ISPs will need to outfit their customers with more powerful hardware, essentially Switch/Router/Firewall hybrids.

Normies having proper firewalls would be great.

>Q: why can't you detect IPv6 addresses?

>A: our service is hosted in AWS, they do not support IPv6 on Elastic Load Balancers for the account type we have (VPC), when amazon do support it, we will start detecting it.

Lots of free ddns services support ipv6, the problem is their clients not updating it. It's not an issue because there are custom scripts around that can do the job

I'm not sure my ISP was even supposed to be changing my ipv6 from time to time come to think of it

>I fucking love surveillance
t. OP

>Hide your MAC
>Use VPN

>use NAT at router level
????????????

Tell us what IPv6 does considerably better (and is important) than IPv4 and we'll consider

Love it how dumb frog posters actually are when it comes down to technology.

Attached: 1450849892422.jpg (768x1024, 206K)

It's not, it's the same shit. But having ipv6 and cgnat coexisting is a shitshow.

>associating any device with a constant address? Fuck it.
Stop spreading shit IPv4 jew. Privacy extensions is default since years.

>roll your own.
An answer to a question not asked.

No CGNAT
No DNAT shit needed
No jews selling you IPs

Why not? I have one public static IP, from which I host the primary NS for my domain. I can manage multiple dynamic IPs with low-TTL domains and let them get updated automatically from the clients.

>I have one public static IP

If I had access to one without paying I wouldn't need a ddns in the first place genius

You *could* have wanted to host shit that's not available on the static IP.