Noob here, I have zero programming experience but really want to make my own game...

Noob here, I have zero programming experience but really want to make my own game, preferably a multiplayer third person shooter.

Where do I start and what are some resources to follow? I hear C# is the best tool for learning programming for games so I guess I'll start there.

Attached: shooter.jpg (958x466, 52K)

Don't bother, you won't succeed.

Hello old me, just go watch youtube videos. People will call you a retard or whatever but just keep working at it. It will actually help you once you get to college and realise everyone in your programming course is a retard.

Games dev is a meme, don't bother

I want to make a simple life simulation with a 2D top down view.
NPCs should have stats like mood, age, gender, favorite activity
You can slow, pause, or speed up time.
NPCs should have schedules and follow simple rules (women can't work in the forest, children can't work etc.)

Where do I start? I have close to no experience in programming.

>that sounds boring!
It's not really supposed to be fun
>that's too simple!
It has to be simple so I can make it on my own

Attached: screen.png (1117x751, 28K)

thanks, any videos in particular?
douche

Attached: 1543976410274.jpg (369x512, 28K)

sounds like the sims honestly.

So what if he doesn't succeed? He will still learn something and that's what matters. I fucking wish I had this outlook when I was younger, maybe I wouldn't be so dead inside.

I'm trying to find the old videos I watched years ago hold on

Processing 3/godot

You couldn't really do anything in my game.
The fun is in watching others live their lives and their twisted (read as boring) destinies.

Install Gentoo

Go for it user

Looks like the guy deleted all his videos :(
Back in 2012 I used Unity and UnityScript (slightly modified version of JavaScript) I would recommend UnityScript over C#.

Yeah I want! But how?

If you have to ask something don't even bother.

Brackeys makes some good videos on youtube for people with no experience in Unity. Overall though you'd be better off learning c# independently of Unity and mastering the language before trying to make your own game.
It'll take a lot of work but you can do it user, just put in the effort and you'll make it

Unity has good tutorials

I've read that unityscript is probably easier but in the long run wouldn't it be better to learn C# a lot of major companies use it?

Seriously, what is your guys problem? Why wouldn't I ask questions before dedicating a lot of time to studying something?

UnityScript will give you a headstart on JavaScript, C# will give you a head start on microsoft only products. The choice is yours but in retrospect I found the js useful.

When you learn programming in some kind of course you will hopefully use C++ anyway.

So I should start with Unityscript then?

yeah, good luck

i fucked around with unity when i was 12. it's beginner friendly but you better get familiar with c#.

it is easy OP

Attached: bibly.jpg (305x373, 38K)

>>that's too simple!
if you want a boring game that every npc does the same thing over and over with little to no variation, I guess you could call it simple, depending on your programming knowledge (not this case)
don't underestimate AI, user. don't mean to discourage you, but...

no, don't. this guy is probably a webcuck. Javascript is useless outside of the web, and even then you should barely use it instead of making bloated, slow websites.
C# is not tied to Microsoft, nor to Windows, it's now mostly open source and is suitable even for the web, it's far more useful as a language, more consistent, and much more likely to land you a job later on.
also unity can now compile C# into native code to speed up some hot parts of your game
they basically abandoned their monstrosity called UnityScript and it's basically removed from their documentation

"webcuck" guy here, I haven't touched Unity since 2012 so I have no idea whats going on now. If you care I'm working as a back end (Perl5) dev. JS has been the most useful due to the wide adoption of Node and Gulp, you can do some really interesting stuff with website build processes.

I guess I'm just gonna say fuck it and focus on C#.

Trust me, it doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

Well I want to simulate life by adding a lot of variables and hand crafted but randomly distributed info.
The most difficult part will probably be making all the different npcs properly react to each other

back when I started programming and unity around 2012, I heard of UnityScript first through third party tutorials, and it's indeed easier at first. but then as I progressed it became harder and harder to find proper documentation, and I just dropped it for C# when I found out about async that were not available in US
webdevs are notorious for evangelizing Javascript as the best and most useful thing ever, and the whole community and ecosystem with stuff like isodd should be avoided
don't get me wrong, I know nothing about you, and whatever pays your bills, but I think C# is far more interesting as a learning tool in his case, and if he decides to focus on it, there are far more job opportunities and areas to work on. but yeah,
it doesn't. but a good start is nice nonetheless

the idea sounds very interesting, I wish you the best of luck