How do I become a sysadmin?

How do I become a sysadmin?

Attached: 20180511162103.jpg (1536x1528, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

accenture.com/us-en/company-persons-with-disabilities
ef.team/jessica-clements-treats-magazine-issue-12-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have a system.
Administrate it.

sysadmin is the most boring job you will ever fucking get

its like an upgraded version of a noc technnician where you only actually deploy and push things one or twice every year and then stare at the screen and try to get certs because theres nothing else to do and you have to look busy

dream job desu

I've been a sysadmin since early 2018, I've gone from 10-12 anime a season to 30 anime a season, 25yo hs dropout with a fairly shit GitHub, that's it.

Attached: 82bfb938-53cc-4dc4-87c3-e36ced167814.jpg (1072x1053, 101K)

In house help desk. I cannot fucking stress "IN HOUSE" enough - you do not want to start with "yes sir, welcome to fuckwad ISP, yes sir, you are yelling, I feel you are upset at the service".

In house = chance to get projects from other areas = experience. Just not in house where you sit answerings tickets all day - make sure you make it clear in the interview you want to gain more responsibility/advancement.

Then pick something to be good at: networking (pls no), servers/active directory/virtualization/linux/Office 365/whatever
Get certs, set up home lab (or work lab if allowed) - laptop with 8gb of RAM and an i3/i5 is enough so yes, that pajeet tier thinkpad from 5 years ago that's a t series is enough.

Get certs + experience = HAI HIRE ME JUNIOR SYSADMIN ME WORKIE

Or you can do the most retarded thing possible and listen to HR and get a four year degree - do not do this please

what experience/knowledge/skills did you have to land your first sysadmin job?

By ignoring girls for a long time.

10 yrs experience with Linux systems, a homelab and a bunch of lies

this
references were completely made up

This, it can be great if it wasn't for the fact that sys admin is now also help desk for the users.

I'm an installer now. Al the joy of slapping together server hardware and configuring hypervisors and vms and the network without the monotony of say creating users and emails

>10 yrs experience with Linux systems,
How do you get that much experience if you cant even get in the door?

Lel
Mine was always "well the past company had a guy that I replaced and he was constantly happy to get consumer hardware, which wouldn't handle the needs of the company and since he had free reign and they took his advice, it meant I was given a bit of a mess but I tried my best and was too busy working to fix it up to good standards of business to get certs"

It helps that my reference there has the computer knowledge of "he fix it" He good! You hire!"

The fuck do you work that sysadmin is helpdesk? Etiher get a proper helpdesk or else outsource it.
Any interview I've been on I've made it clear "I don't mind helping the helpdesk on tickets they're completely lost on but I've more important things to do than reseting a password, like securing information from HR so everyone does see it"

You lie, and or start using Linux and set up a home server, and wait

This.

Professionally, by being in the industry and being competent of what the job entails and how to do it. Certs don't hurt.

I've got none tho and no degree. I just self taught and worked nonprofits. Proved my worth after a couple years and got promoted from tech support hell into sys admin hell.

Gotta love those 4am calls

Never said I couldn't I just didn't want to work since working meant losing the gibs, but since I was gonna lose them any way at 25 I decided, yeah might as well try, also this
The latter

Linux is free user. Just >install Jow Forumsentoo

Ireland. Most small/medium companies have a sole IT guy with outsourced support (who can be slow to respond to tickets).
I worked for a construction firm who had no IT guy whatsoever, when I interviewed it was pretty obvious they were getting milked by outsourced IT

Why are you getting calsl at 4am?
Why the fuck do you people encourage this

"do not expect me to do on call without very good compentstation - minumum of 10% extra of the salary offered increase for on call and my work day starts from the moment you call me for the next 7-8 hours" works.

Not him but lie. Lying and faking is easier if you're "good with computers": can into google and take notes.

i know linux breddy gud, im getting my ccna and network+ soon hopefully, and then im going for microsoft stuff soon after. im also decent with office365, and i can bullshit my way through an interview

am i gonna make it brehs?

Why are you up at 2am?
And okay, fair enough - construction firm is different if it's small.

I'm talking about when you have more than one solo guy.

no network+, just skip to CCNA

Where do you go to get certs? A local community college?

Fuck does she have nudes?

user, google.
Usei t

And no, no need - just study/pirate courses/books.
Generally courses that teach you outside of maybe RHCSA or maybe CCNA/CCNP are a con. Onlybecause they might offer you hardware for tohse courses

can i ask why, out of curiosity? also im learning how to into pen testing and security in general

each cert has its own exam, some need classes at a community college and some you can just take after paying the fee.

if you dont need to take a class to pass the exam, then just take the exam. i'd recommend studying up first obviously, or it's just a waste of money

Not OP, just another user. What do you guys think of managed service providers? Reason I ask, I started at an internal job doing networking (skipped helpdesk because of nepotism) and worked there for four years... Slacked off at work, but took studies and learning seriously. I then started at an MSP, and have been promoted twice in the past 3 years. Now I find myself at the top of the "tech" level here and the only way to move up is to either eventually take my bosses, job managing the business... or start another branch of the business in a different area, assuming the owners of the organization would be willing to fund such a venture. By new area, I mean consulting or selling in an area we currently don't, by utilizing skills I've built over the years.

This

Until someone asks you what you are doing and you blank out for more than two seconds, then you get fired.

"Dream job" More like the most stressful shit you'll ever do.

You aren't always needed, but they want you there all the time anyway, in their open office shitfest, they see you're not working every second of the day, and they know they can't just crack the whip at you like you're some burger flipping retard, so instead they assume they just aren't getting their money's worth from you and they fire you.
Then the entire enterprise implodes in 6 months because no one knows how to manage the fucking thing, so they pay some consultant, often times the admin who t hey just fired, thousands of dollars a day to help them sort it all out, which ultimately leads to them paying a new sysadmin to work day, night and weekends for three months to fix everything.
Then, that sysadmin eventually runs out of things to fix, gets denied funding for proactive upgrades and then is fired because they don't look busy enough like they were when they were first hired.

Upper management is full of stupid shitheels, no one knows what a sysadmin really does except another sysadmin.
Don't ever go into this field thinking it will be easy, computers will always be the least of your problems.

This person is not a real sysadmin, I'm a real sysadmin and I've got my own small office that I share with a workmate, and we take turns to sleep, watch anime, play Vidya, sometimes we don't take turns, we fell asleep a few weekends ago for 5-6 hrs and literally nothing fucking happened, sysadmin is the most boring job you'll ever find

Try working for an MSP guy, have fun filling in that timesheet

>Hmmm...lets see....
>From 9AM to 5PM I watch sword art online, jerked off in the bathroom and slept under my desk
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN CLEAR OUT MY DESK!!??

Network+ is pointless. CCNA is more perfered

Some MSPs are great.
Some are not
Why not just apply to be a sysadmin instead of opening a new sales based IT shop.

The problem with most MSPs are like yours - they wanna sell stuff. So then you get people like me in an interview, regardless if I like the company and want the job or not, point out "you're being massively overcharged by a bunch of idiots; I'd suggest taking the money you have invested in them, cancelling the contract when you get a list of things from someone like me they're fucking you over on and then hire someone who's useful"

You're both right, desu.
Last position: I had a "manager" who was there solely so "I came in early, going home early" and "tell CEO we need $300 for X since the idiot that bought the computers before me got bad ones or we can wait six months and spend ten times that".

On the other hand I've been in jobs where it's "just make it faster! No, you get no money to make it faster, it's a computer you do stuff like this all the time" and my personal favourite "so my friend mentioned this buzzword, now we'll buy the new buzzword tech and you implement it".

If you let them walk over you then they'll continue to.
If you automate yourself out of a job but management doesn't realize it, you did good and have an easy job.

I literally do work for an MSP you might recognize the logo on the lanyard, my manager doesn't give a crap about what we do on our free time as long as we work when we need to.

Attached: IMG_20190110_032541.jpg (2024x2202, 1.56M)

You work for Hatsune Miku?
The hell am I supposed to see here beyond your disgustingly plebeian taste?

What do you track your time with?

I've been eyeing a lot of "devops engineers" positions lately.
How do I land one of these jobs as a junior?
Most of them ask for previous experience but seems to me that the only way to actually learn the related stuff is by being mentored in an actual company doing real stuff, hard to "train" at home.

We don't track our time beyond how many hours we spend at the Office, also there you have the reason why you are stuck in a shit job, disrespecting Miku is worse than being non-christian.

Attached: accenture1.jpg (960x720, 69K)

>We don't track our time beyond how many hours we spend at the Office
That's barely even an ISP

Join us over here with ConnectWise Manage table and then you can participate in the dick measuring contest.

>he gets to work for Miku
>I have to work for Bezos and his ass brain

Attached: 1539568496109.jpg (720x720, 49K)

How does having less of a leash on me make me less successful, lmao it's like you wanna be controlled by some dumbass Boomer that doesn't even understand how computers work, consider this your final (You) since I'm tired of this conversation.

Get back to your wage cage before I call security.

Attached: 1536783090288.jpg (3000x1996, 1.89M)

I LOVE MY JOB I LOVE MY JOB I LOVE MY JOB

Attached: 157847854387.png (487x688, 531K)

so basically what i get from this thread

>know linux
>get certs, ccna and red hat sys admin being two good ones
>don't get jewed for shitty certs
>lie and fake what you dont have
>work for hatsune miku if you can, otherwise mr. shekleberg will take every opportunity to stop you from jerking off to anime
>try to start from in house helpdesk, get experience so youre not a useless twat

sound about right? anything else?

Attached: baka.jpg (551x551, 121K)

Junior devops typically have 2-3 years or more work experience as a programmer or sysadmin. The actual work you do varies from company to company but it will most likely be at a tech company, consulting firm, or an agency.

Know how key based auth works, the basics of networking, get comfortable with compiling software from source. When looking at candidates we look for people with demonstrable programming skills, knowledge of build servers, the typical SDLC. As for the cloud engineering aspect that stuff is getting easier every month and more is expected now than it used to be.

>How does having less of a leash on me make me less successful
Christ, nice projection there.

I said you don't really work at an MSP, not that you suck dick for a living.
Sounds to me like you are a glorified staffer, aka working at an ISP that has a few 3 year contracts so they don't give a shit what you do, you are basically a loaner internal IT department.

General MSP work is nothing like that, you are expected to track your time, usually down to 15 minute increments, if anything is weird then they will fire your ass.

I too work at an MSP that has contracts with very large profile entities, so we are not very strict with our time keeping either, but I at least try to half bullshit something everyday, you can't just put "watched anime and degaussed the monitor", that's just retarded and unprofessional both of which are enough to get your fired for being dead weight.

I'm in school for cyber scurty
Is job in tech support a bad first job?
currently working retail since 2009

I'd admin your sis, user

network architect, CCNA is trash, I only care about your experience.

whats wrong with networking? My cousin is a network engineer, with no college only certs making 175k.

sounds cozy.

kill the old sysadmin , its highlander rules didnt you know that!

If you ever land a sysadmin job like mine where your manager isn't a cunt and you have free time, buy things to keep yourself occupied, seriously I cannot express this enough, you'll lose your fucking marbles the second day you spend in front of a monitoring system like nagios without nothing to do, I mean gaming laptop, a portable console, books, pick up a language or something like that, also learn to automate your job without getting caught like a poster said above, more free time=more anime, good luck user Miku believes in you and so do i

Attached: 1478733524834.png (1300x975, 1.88M)

I guess you heard the story too about that dude who automated his job and told his boss then he got laid off.

Attached: 1545658241843.jpg (480x360, 17K)

Linux is 100% optional.
It's a bit like saying "know how to operate industrial trucks" if you want to work in a garage.
It's a path you can choose.

Most vendor specific ones are good: CCNA then CCNP, AWS (Amazon), Microsoft (Server mostly, Office 365 administration). Linux Red Hat one is very good because it is a hands on test. But it's linux only which can narrow your jobs.

Lie and fake, sure. But for the love of all that's good: be able to learn.
I touched Active Directory for maybe five minutes before. But I can read a manual so can understand it.
At least when I started, anyway.

Work for whoever, just don't listen to the "right now you're on help desk but there's a chance to grow in the future".
Go with "I want to move to level 2/level 3 in the future or junior sysadmin. What is the progression route in this job".

And my number one rule: most sysadmins who bitch online let management walk over them.
Cover your ass.
After management says "Hai dickhead admin, we need this new starter with a brand new PC, login and all the bells and whistle, they started last week!", you email and say "hi, dickhead HR, as per the conversation we had earlier, I'll try to get a new PC and account ASAP for the employee that started a week ago. In future, please submit a request via email/ticket about this".

Mostly so they learn to do that and so when their boss asks why new dickhead employee has no account/computer, you can show the email.

Nothing bad but it generally pigeon holes you into network guy. Which can pigeon hole you into "hey our network failed and it's 4am, wake the fuck up, kek".

that sounds sucky, you keep doing that I'll keep watching anime at work, beats unemployment, and as long as it pays the bills and doesnt make me hate myself every day when I get home I'm happy

thanks for an actual reply, would doing something like setting up a home server (vm, ftp, etc.) be a good decision to get some learning?

please shower this humble newb with your wisdom

>hat's just retarded and unprofessional both of which are enough to get your fired for being dead weight.

Attached: 1534731283834.png (385x350, 37K)

Listen here, I watch anime at work too, but it's not freakin Miku. That's why I get the back corner desk with two monitors, one palys anime drama, the other plays help desk drama, it's not that bad.

Seven Deadly Sins season 3 last week, Fate Apocrypha now, Sword Art Online season 3 next week.

Step your up your anime game m8, Miku is like the Justin Beiber of waifus.

Anyone who;s interested in being sysadmin: the two neckbeards arguing like children are example of the IT stereotype you do not want to be, just an FYI

Pretty much but it's not needed at all - the biggest mistake I think people make is knowing that business is way different to consumer.

Best example: first IT job I took over was from a guy who thought buying a $40 router was a great idea to save moeny and look good to management.
For over 20 people connecting to it. Router was constantly fucked.

I wouldn't buy anything new for a home server - check your businesses IT departments
Oh and my post about certs - CCNA then CCNP. The other ones like AWS, MS stuff, can be gotten in mostly any order and aren't related.

I would probably look into setting up a few VMs and deciding what area seems most fun.

Oh and look into Powershell. It helps

The fuck is it with IT nerds and their shitty/childish taste in media.

Oh please my liege, bestow upon us the knowledge of your superior taste in media.

Attached: 425.gif (320x228, 1.78M)

>When you peek on your co-workers phone and see his waifu on the screen and you want to tell his how shit his taste is but you are still posing as a chad so you have to pretend to not notice.

Attached: 1540126592943.jpg (1536x2048, 516K)

someone please reply to this im in the same position.
Also, hello Jordan.

i have alot of old hardware sitting around i've been wanting to fuck around with, and i'm working on my ccna right now. probably going for MS afterward, maybe the redhat one.

thanks again for your help m8, best wishes

I'm beyond hating on something just because it's popular buddy, I consume trash and I like it, I'm beyond what you'll ever be, I'm so far deep down the rabbit hole I might as well be gone, alright buddy boy.

If you think I'm being serious in any way shape or form you need to check the URL on your web browser because you might have mistyped it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190110-040330.jpg (2159x1080, 812K)

I was sysadmin straight out of college.

Just take what you can get.

Yeah I will, like I can't do retail much longer and the guys in my classes last semester were total trash I think I might make it

user that was giving other long advice posts.
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm in the EU.
If you're in the US and want to work with the government, supposedly the triple CompTIA certs are what you need: A+ (easy, mostly memorization, Network+ (harder but not too hard) and security+ (no idea, supposedly not hard, mostly memorization and what to do IF X happens). That generally helps get you a nice secure government job,

But don't expect to waltz into a security job - you should push for internship or some sort of work experience. You won't be doing help desk but might do security help desk (eg the monkey on the phone they call up when omg virus!) which again should follow the same thing in an interview "how the fuck do I advance to being in a position with actual responsiblity in this company".

redhat isn't Microsoft unless you mean MS as something else.
Old hardware will do but don't get caught up in the "ooh shiny" mindset of playing around with it - you're just using it to pass your CCNA then you can play with it more.

do not do this unless you live in a 3rd world yoropoor-tier country like serbia or something

>the two neckbeards arguing like children are example of the IT stereotype you do not want to be
And this guy is that prick coworker who always thinks he knows better and is in a perfect position to judge everyone while he never socializes and doesn't do any of the actual work.

Don't be a fucking faggot.

I can do network,security,a +
I just need entry job my last jobs all try to promote me because of my work ethiuc

Just go for tech then - anything in house I suppose. So not ISP/phone support/ etc.
Actual "yes I will walk to the computer to troubleshoot it" style if needed

>do not do this
EU fag, dont assume my markets

Here's the scoop dude, once you get on service desk of any kind it is VERY FUCKING HARD to get off of it, if you have to settle for it then fine, but if you can take something better and you think you can do the job then fucking go for it.

If you do take service desk, be fully prepared for the fact that you will either have to have a written agreement with your employer that they will move you up after X amount of time, or you will have to quit and get a job elsewhere to advance beyond the trenches.

No one wants to work service desk, that's why it's so damn hard to get out of.

I'll hear these sggeztions but I'm drunk as shity
remind me later

This desu

This, but comfy af if you get to work remote and work on certs/personal projects in the down time
Also this, make sure to look busy

>Being this upset over someone making fun of their anime named at literal tweens.
I bet you're a brony and have a steam page filled with waifu games and vns too.

Didn't know your company had a special program for people on the spectrum
You have shit taste in anime

Zero cert, zero prior experience with 4 year. I got sysadmin job easily and 2 years of basically free money in internship. How the fuck was that retarded? Because I'm not at risk of being jobless for long periods of time if I lose my current one? Or even have flexibility in what software/IT job I want?

what did you use to self teach?

Fuck I wish I was a nightmare corporate state private security grunt

Attached: pepetime.jpg (275x183, 7K)

They actually do!
accenture.com/us-en/company-persons-with-disabilities

What kind of homelabbing would give good sysadmin experience?

I've been playing with Docker and trying to get Nginx as a reverse proxy to serve the Docker containers with load balancing but not sure what to do after that.

>Zero cert, zero prior experience with 4 year.
You just confirmed my worst fears.
The sysops of today are unskilled, ignorant and naive.
Actually, it's just as it appeared to be. There hasn't been a sysop new to the job who has not assumed he knows better than anyone else and immediatly locked up all resources so nobody can get access without approaching him. Then writing off most of the hardware because "it's old".
Making all the printers unavailable to the people who use them most.
And being generally unavailable when actually needed. Why? Because zero people skills. Hiding in the server room solves only one person's problem; the sysop's.

lol what? Are you mad you're going to be deprecated soon or something?

I'm about to start school as a 24 year old working towards a Computer Science degree, with the eventual goal of landing a cozy database admin job instead of being a wagecuck code monkey, would it be worth my time to earn my CCNA during my GenEds and try to get a part time sysadmin job for while I'm in school? If you've taken the CCNA exam and passed, did you take courses or self study? If self study, for how long and with what materials? Did you find the exam difficult?

how do you go about finding a job?

this

blacked.com is hiring

system admin is dying field. big companies the network engineers are actually what you would call the system admin while the techs carry out the day to day stuff. you can still get a stereotypical system admin job but its either going to be your own business or you are employed by a medium sized enterprise who are ready to throw you under the bus at a moments notice.

find out where the nearest data centers are near you and hunt through the job postings. alternatively just about every business has an IT dept you can be a tech for.

Attached: a35133e2-f765-4f9e-9992-e12c7626f452..jpg (1200x960, 241K)

#1 CCNA has fuck all to do with databases
#2 what the hell is a part time system admin. one of the hallmarks of being a system admin is the long on call hours, being part time is pretty useless. let alone someone with a CCNA and no professional experience.

Swallow.

Im an IT consultant at an MSP dealing with client computers and infrastructure.

Never work at an msp. Its so fuckinh stressful, literally cry myself to sleep the last 1,5years.

Got hired straight out of uni into 3rd/4th level work whilst having no idea wtf i was doing ( I do now tho).

Right now company wants me to create new services with technology I havent ever touched before, as well as implement shit Ive never touched before without help whilst customer breathes down my neck. MSP life is hell.

>big companies the network engineers are actually what you would call the system admin while the techs carry out the day to day stuff.
Not necessarily true. The company I work for is "big" (2500 employees) and the network guys have their hands full enough with the network gear they generally don't touch anything else. We have plenty of teams that handle systems work: People who build and control the server configuration management tools, people who manage the underlying virtualization infrastructure, people who manage the domains and workstation management tools, people who work with the monitoring software and respond to alarms etc.

when I say big i am talking FAANG. More and more is being pushed out of the local sites and into data centers. If you got a good gig / customer base i don't think it will disappear over night but I don't really see this trend reversing either.

Set up AD, Set up SCCM, create task sequence. Manage patching.

Here friend

ef.team/jessica-clements-treats-magazine-issue-12-2017/

>graduate 4 year compsci with interests in servers
>landed job in computer lab in uni doing IT help shit for the teachers there
>so few people managing the lab get to work directly with sys admin and my work is actually appreciated
>picking up a lot of shit and he's starting to get me to help work on projects and shit

i'm on my way lads

godspeed user

>going to school for lolcompsci
>Started as level 1 tech at startup msp
>Payed like shit but I learned a lot
>Falling out with boss
>Got a cozy part time job at a library making almost as much as I did ft at msp
>Enough to carry me through 4 year
>Solid chance of full time with benefits and ~50k salary for doing almost nothing
>Most knowledgeable guy there so job security is guaranteed

I think I'm gonna fall into this meme bullshit job because I'm studying math and I feel like I would want a second job outside of researching. Like maybe taking over the shit administration of the university, they have their fucking servers on windows, have a lot of downtimes, or even get hacked. So I could help with that.

it's not really a 2nd job kind of field man if you are doing anything substantial. and if your end systems are windows you are typically at least running one hyper-v box.