Should I learn Java as my first computer language?

Should I learn Java as my first computer language?
My father who has been a long time computer programmer reccomend it for me over C++ and other programming languages.

Attached: jW4dnFtA_400x400.jpg (400x400, 15K)

Sure. It's a good middle ground between the knowledge of C++ and the ease of Python.

Java or Kotlin is fine and are pretty interchangeable (both run on the JRE). Scala if you are a bit more ambitious.

Do not learn kotlin or scala as a first language

I don't see how they are any worse than Java to start with, their syntax is also a lot simpler.
The only argument against them is maybe less beginner resources, but I've never checked.

Cant find a reason against it.

Attached: why_not_anon.png (791x750, 117K)

Trust your father over us. So, yes, learn Java, and don't trust me. That being said, here's what I think, or would think, rather, if I didn't also think you should trust your father instead of me: Java is garbage and there's never a good reason to learn it.

I did and I turned out ok.

If Java's garbage collector actually worked it woild delete all .java files on execution.

Isn't .java files your own code?

You should probably start with Holy C. It's the very best language to get the basics and the way of thinking across.

Yes, another feature pioneered by Haskell

Attached: AB722907-8B46-471E-A6EA-85F0DA2E6ED8.jpg (750x523, 87K)

He just call his code trash.

Pun intended.

Yes java or c# are the ideal first programming languages. Don't listen to the noobs and trolls in this thread.

That depends. Are you on time to places? Is your room clean? Do you own an Android? If you answered yes to at least two of these then Java is /yourlang/

Learn D instead.

Attached: D_Programming_Language_logo.svg.png (1200x910, 302K)

Java or python, if you strugle with java learn python basics first, and before going into oop swich back to java

>First programming language
Python (nu-Ruby that's used in a lot of fields) or C# (has recently been going more open source and the .NET platform is now cross-platform)

>First low-level language
C or C++ (Maybe Rust if you don't care for having a job asap. It's a genuinely great language but the ecosystem is in its infancy)

JVM languages are a dying meme.

If you want to learn Functional Programming, the default choice is always Haskell.
The Lisps, OCaml, and Erlang are incredibly niche.

Depends on what you want to do.
>JS for shitting all over webpages
>C# for shitting out crap games on steam
>Python & Bash for being a lazy fuck doing sysadmin stuff
>C/C++ for low-level craptendo of microcontrollers
>Rust if you're a hipster that also is into masturbation over how cool you are
>Go if you want to do server side shit
>Ruby if you want to work at an startup

I'm here to shill Python

Deez nuts
Lmao

Yes but you should familiarize yourself with Java 8 straight away.

Learn C first.

I only understood OOP after I learned python, before that I couldn't understand all this java boilerplate.
After couple of days in python all was clear.
I think that java is practical language and has its merits, but is not good for learning concepts.
Even guy who wrote Thinking in java shills python in the book.

>I only understood OOP after I learned python
So you don't understand OOP after all

No.
Learn Python first. Then, learn C/C++ and Perl and hack into some *nix distro. This should keep you busy for a very long while.
You can use Python for pretty much anything. Don't fall into the meme that Python is slow, Google uses Python for almost everything that's isn't performance critical, and if it's fast enough for Google. it's fast enough for anything you'll ever build. Needless to say, use C++ for anything performance critical, otherwise Python is king because of speed of development.
Once you're very experienced, and need something to engineer a really complex system, for which the Python speed can actually become a problem and C++ is too low-level, then learn Java. Or, you know... learn Java straight away and get an unfulfilling enterprise Poojeet job somewhere if you don't really care about programming.

This advice is like telling someone who wants to build a house to start learning how to mix concrete first

At my uni our first semester is in Python, second & third in C, fourth in Java.
This worked really well, because each requires a distinct knowledge set to use, and learning them in that order means you learn the knowledge in that order:
to use Python you only need to learn the basics of how to think about code; you can use C really well to make & understand data structures and the underlying science of how the code works; and to use Java you need to understand Object-Oriented principles

The people I know who started with Java at another uni were forbidden from using its data structures because they had to learn how to make them themselves. Easier and more industry-applicable to just learn Python then C lol.

It depends on what u want to do next. I work with AI, robots and stuff so I use Python. Each language has its +s and -s. Check your goal and choose the language u need

Well how the duck are you gonna build a house without knowing how to make the concrete first?

Learn Holy C

> Python
the easy way
> C
the hard way
> JavaScript
the way to get a shitty job fast
> Java
industry standard, soulless boilerplate way
> LISP
the wizard way, but not practically useful

Python

this

I'm in my final year of uni on a "comp sci" course and so far all we've learned is nine weeks of Logo and Python. How doomed am I? Note: I am actually interested in HTML, CSS, and C++ but I spent too much time on them and they got in the way of my studies.

Attached: pieceofshit.png (256x256, 10K)

> c/c++
Memory management too complicated for a first language

> ruby/python
Scripting languages, not real programming languages

> JavaScript
Horrible, don’t do it

> java/c#
Just right

People unironically suggesting python as a first language are genuinely brain damaged. Python is a fucking scripting language for quickly hacking shit together. Knowing python doesn't make you a programmer.

t. retard

Python is way more complicated than java, people think it’s easier because the syntax superficially resembles pseudo code.

Python would be better but your father will be disappoint. Make him disappoint.

Um... Try reading what you wrote loud, followed by what most people in this thread wrote about python.

Attached: giphy.gif (493x342, 480K)

My preferred teaching order
C (Basics) -> Python -> Java -> C -> C++ -> LISP

kotlin is a perfect beginner language, my community college taught us it.

lol have fun writing shit no one cares about. C and java are useless, Javascript is the future of programming.

>bait.png

learn it if your father is a patient and good teacher, who can help you understand, if not, learn Python is much more fun.

I r8 this Python h8. Python is a dirty language for dirty peopel What's the fucking point of coding with a language that does its own thing. Python is basically telling a five year old to follow some instructions: it does half of what you said then goes off and plays and wastes your time. C++ is getting an autistic person to follow your instructions: they do it to the letter of what you say so any fault is with your ability to express yourself, not because the code is possessed by evil spirits.

Attached: my paws hurt.jpg (671x673, 44K)

kotlin is weird, and in the end it has shitty generics as well.
Fuck kotlin, what a meme of a language.