Remember when amd was innovating?

Remember when amd was innovating?

Attached: 220px-AMD_Athlon_64_X2_logo.png (220x259, 34K)

Remember when Intel was innovating? Me neither.

Why the fuck is VIA sitting on x86 and doing nothing with it?
They could make an x86_64/ARM64 hybrid CPU and take over mainstream OEMs.

Attached: via_eden_esp80000_embedded_processor_image-100649015-large.jpg (580x347, 50K)

I've got one of these. My pentium 4 seems to run better though

>ARM64
>take over mainstream

Attached: 1546311934782.gif (300x169, 1.34M)

It's awful. I'm changing to 9980XE this year.

Attached: Annotation 2019-01-11 184951.jpg (1366x768, 233K)

Via is still making chips in China
And one day will return to save us from Intel/amd duopoly.
They bought cyrix too

>buying a 2000$ rebrand

Attached: 1546682712961.jpg (992x1043, 199K)

Why would I care that it's not a completely new refresh if I'm not upgrading from 7980XE? Tell me one other CPU that's a jack of all trades, matches its performance and is also available to the market right now? TR3 won't be available until late 2019. I fell for the budget meme once, I'm not going to do it again. This will last me for another 8 – 10 years. And in case you didn't know, AMD also has a CPU that sells for almost the same price ($1.8k) and with a disappointing performance overall.

nah

You wouldn't have enough money if you should your useless soul.

Sent from my Zbook 17 btw.

2990 is disappointing only if you run windows like an npc, since it can't handle anything truly high thread-count. Just get a 2950x if it so concerns you to leave the baby duck waters, same performance as the house fire 9980xe, less than half the cost, and more pci lanes.

Maybe when you'll grow up and interact with other people in the real world you'll notice that Adobe, Autodesk, Maxell, Pixologic, SolidWorks make software for Windows (and some for Macs) only. And guess what? These are the major software programs used all over EU and NA. So don't give me the GIMP argument. There's no worthwhile agency that uses it.

Attached: 01111036796l.jpg (752x1252, 404K)

>IF isn't innovating
>7 nm isn't innovating
>chiplets aren't innovating
Huh?

Rather skirting my point. The chip isn't limited, it's the OS. And that's just the apples-to-apples cost equal part, the 2950x fits the same niche the 9980xe does, at less than half the cost, easier to cool, and more pci lanes. In addition to not being knee-capped by windows badly.

Are chiplets an innovation? Genuine question.

Attached: ajNQsmI.png (498x364, 216K)

>giving the shill (You)s

It's not a totally unprecedented design. It's kind of like a combination of how chipsets moved from the board to the processor and how some processors are actually multiple identical dies.

But now we have processors that are multiple heterogeneous dies that might not even be all the same process (e.g. Zen 2 has 14 nm IO dies and 7 nm CCX dies), which is great for yields. 14 nm is higher yield than 7 nm, which cuts the cost of the IO die (which isn't as power hungry in the first place) and multiple smaller dies as opposed to one big die for the CCXs means defects have a lower potential for damage.

>not wanting to BTFO and humiliate shills using hard facts to foil their desperate attempts at maintaining Intel's reputation

>giving the shills free rupees so they continue on shitting up the board

>it's useful if you do something useless with it
Great argument

VIA never stopped making x86 chips. In fact they have a 4 core 8 thread chip with the IPC of sandy bridge but its not available for the consumer market. There is very little information about it but the chips are assumed to be custom made for the Chinese government and corporate use so that they can have a home baked chip for security reasons.
Look up the KX-6000, there is some scares information out about it, but it is a real product. There is a video of the chip running one of the Battlefield games.

How come your RAM is so slow for DDR3?

Like before yesterday

Also it means they can ship different core count variants without wasting so much good silicon. I'm not sure if this is possible with Zen, but other chiplet designs might be able to ship e.g. a 12 core CPU made from 8 core chiplets with a variety of defective cores (8+4 or 6+6). Or maybe you could have lower end 8 core variants with 4+4 or even 6+2, with worse latencies than a one die 8 core. The possibilities are endless.