What is hands down the best laptop I can get for at or right around $1000? Used or otherwise

What is hands down the best laptop I can get for at or right around $1000? Used or otherwise.

Attached: Thinkpad_P70_04.jpg (1600x1200, 474K)

$200 on Thinkpad X200-X230 for Lunix
$800 on a desktop (Spend $300-400 on graphics card)
The desktop will be able to play all latest games on high settings

If you spend $1000 on a laptop, it'll just suck compared to desktop performance, and it'll overheat. Waste of money.

Attached: image.jpg (640x758, 242K)

I want something portable and decent. I have a desktop with i7, gtx 1080, 16G ddr4 for all of my gaming etc.

what do you plan on using the laptop for?
playing games?
actual work?

General browsing, web dev., Coding, graphic design with Photoshop and illustrator.

Just get a MacBook.

Not sure if you're trolling or serious.

If you want new, search amongst the budget gaming laptops and try to pick something which doesn't look absolutely hideous. Idk, like the Lenovo Legion Y530.
Or: Get a used Dell XPS 15. It has a good price/value ratio, looks good and are powerful. Con: non-removable battery.
Or:

W541

This. MacBook is what you are after.

Get a MacBook
Thinkmemes are garbage honestly

Powerbook g3 pismo

This guy is not trolling. Fits the bill for a used Macbook.
If you're not into the OS, get a windows laptop. (Judging by the applications you're planing to use that's probably what you're going for)

>Build Quality
Old thinkpads X220/X230 seems to fit the bill
Not a fancy graphics card buy hey, it works

>GPU focused route
Find some company / craigslist or whatver US people use, see if you can score a Quadro GPU laptop. Harder to come by, usually dirt cheap though, good bang for the buck.

>Kids Old Gaming laptop
Speaks for itself, snipe that shit from a kid who's getting a desktop or a new Razer Blade. Haggle on the spot, works better to pretend you don't know anything about computers than to flex with plans on installing libreboot and soldering the motherboard with your own boar expansion.

Also Jow Forums is not your personal IT-consultant. ~

macbook

do people not understand wanting a portable machine?

Is it opposite day?

WTF is that abomination of a keyboard? ThinkPad keyboards are perfect and tactile, why would you do that to that poor machine?

Don't waste money on x1 Carbons and shit, it's just pomp and frill trying to make a ThinkPad look like a MacBook. Touchscreen? Go fuck yourself.

Get an older refurbished model ThinkPad; t420/430, early 500 series with the best hardware inside you can get. You should be able to find i7+ with 250 GB SSD + at least 12 GB RAM refurbished for $500 or less. That's all you need man.

Well what sites do you recommend for getting a good refurbished machine?

>Don't waste money on x1 Carbons and shit, it's just pomp and frill trying to make a ThinkPad look like a MacBook
x1c's are not macbooks, they don't overheat and their trackpads don't work very well

The tactile feedback on the new Thinkpad keyboards is actually even better than on the old.
Just because it looks more modern doesn't mean it's bad.

X240 with trackpad from X250