Time travel is impossible because if it were possible we would have already witnessed time travelers

>Time travel is impossible because if it were possible we would have already witnessed time travelers
True or false?

Attached: 170510w.jpg (760x428, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1ENkP0h8nAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Time travel is impossible because of relativity.

Real time travel simply implies you can see images of the past, theoretically. That's it.

Why would time travelers come to this time when there is infinite choices?

Going back into the past is impossible in the classical sense because it creates a number of unresolvable logical paradoxes

not if there's multiple timelines

If someone were to time travel, and presumably to the very spot they're in at the moment of departure, when they arrived in whichever time they chose, they'd be millions of miles away from where they want to be because the solar system- and thus the earth- was in a different place at that different time. If you traveled six months into the future, you'd be in space and the earth would be on the other side of the sun lmao

One direction, forward, is possible (moving clocks go faster), but backwards doesn't work.

You mean slower

What if time travel is possible but no one from the big bang to the death of the universe actually invents it because it's too complex?

What if cause and effect don't matter at all? Logically speaking, that doesn't make sense, but we're just assuming that it has to make sense.

Multiple timelines aren't possible unless you mean parallel universes from different quantum states, aka the Many Worlds hypothesis, but personally I think the Wave Function Collapse is the real deal and our universe is the only one

If you traveled into the past and killed younger you, would you cease to exist or could you take over his life of shitposting on 4channel?

time travel is possible but it crashes universe.exe due to the logical error of a causeless effect

And why wouldn't you keep your momentum

Think of a whiteboard, now draw a square on the board. Erase the square and draw a circle.

Now If you want the whiteboard to show a square, do you have to go BACK IN TIME? No, you simply change the state again by erasing and drawing another square.

The whiteboard has states but it has no "memory" of the previous states, it isn't storing that image of a square somewhere. It just exists in the state it currently is

I've literally just time traveled a few minutes to the future since I first opened this thread.
I feel sorry for all the time travelets itt

I don't want to think about a whiteboard Jow Forumsuys..
i can hear the squeaky wheel from here

Attached: OHNO.jpg (298x500, 10K)

Go back to red dit with your NPC repetitions.

I think aliens are real

We're all traveling through time right now at the rate of 1 second per second.

This is my own idea not inspired by anything else I've ever heard someone say and this is the first opportunity I've had to use it in context.

Wrong, time travel is impossible because it involves going faster than light. With time travel you could send messages faster than light, and this is fundamentally impossible.
Generally most fun things require going faster than light.

Basically this.

As a side note, black holes do this thing called time dilation, where time is slower within their gravitational pull then it is outside of it. That's the closest thing I can think of to time travel but it's not really time travel.

Astonishing.

Correct, but we're not all doing it at the same time. If we all lived 900 billion years in the exact same situation, some of us would be older than others if we met up.

i believe there are more universes than ours out there, but stand alone. i guess they can merge like galaxies.

gravity influences time.
youtu.be/1ENkP0h8nAg
(You) can thank me later.

>If you traveled six months into the future, you'd be in space and the earth would be on the other side of the sun lmao
Lmao, do you even astrophysics? You would be so fucking far from the sun you would think it's your dick.
Not only the Earth moves around the Sun, but the sun, and even the galaxy moves too.
We aren't in a circle, it's a retarded spiral

>implying the galaxy isn't moving too

But really, what is it moving in relation to?

Technically, the Earth stays in the exact same fixed point in space forever.
The stars and galaxies and everything else just move around it.
Prove me wrong objectively.

But they would all share a single spacetime. Maybe the laws of physics are different and some spacetimes are "weirder" than others, but they would all be moving at a constant rate and you wouldn't be able travel backwards through that

Killing yourself or anyone in the past would be like scratching a tape. It's just a replay of the past events, you can't change what already happened.

That's the paradox. It has no real answer because it's not possible

>>aliens are impossible because if they were possible we would have already witnessed aliens

I hate this logic.

I'm actually a time traveller, ama.

Come on dude you dint have to do that, now I hear the squeaky wheels too

>Heavier than air flight is impossible because if it was possible we would have already witnessed it
BTFO

You can't travel at the speed of light because to get even 60% close to it your ship would need to be 99.9999% fuel, which is impossible since your ship isn't made of rocket fuel and neither are you.

why not make ship size of the sun then?

>not collecting and using fuel as you travel
kek

>>>aliens are impossible because if they were possible we would have already witnessed aliens
We literally have, tho

>dilation
What the fuck is dialation

They kept time traveling back and forth until the changes on the timeline they made eventually had the consequence of time traveling never being invented.

You're assuming that reality gets stored somewhere after it happens. Even if that was true, let's say that you're able to go back to 1970. What determines which of these timelines is in the here and now? Are we living in 1970? Or 2019?

It's easy and useful to think of time as linear, like a car driving down a long road, with the movement of the vehicle representing the passage of time. But really that road is evaporating behind the car and being rebuilt in front of it. That long stretch of road is imprinted anywhere. It isn't permanent. At best you can get the guy in the back seat to draw pictures of what he saw along the way. That's the equivalent of our history books and memories.

What your mom has to do to her crusty, unused cunt to keep it from scabbing over and closing up.

>Travel forward in time and steal futuristic tools and tech with instructions
>Travel back to current timeline
>Leave the shit there
>Go forward again to your current time
>Civilization advanced at an even greater rate
>Do it again over and over

Would this work you think?

Does Jow Forums ever get mods?

i agree, i didn't mean to advocate time travel, just that i believe that we are not the only universe out there. some others might be way older, others way younger. but we probably will never know.

Yeah I think so too, I mean it only makes sense given what we know now.

What really gives me cold sweats is thinking about what's beyond the quantum foam that universes are popping in and out of. Is it infinite? Why? Why is there anything at all? Can nothing even exist? Even if we were just part of a simulation, what's beyond their universe?

No. What happens to your original timeline?

It just keeps getting more advanced

The answer to the question you will make 493 days, 7 hours and 2 minutes from now is
>magnets

I mean the future you left when you went to the past. You've split the timeline there. What happened to all those events that originally lead up to you going back in time? Do they vanish? That can't be, because they had to have happened in order for you to go back in time. And so on.

When will anime become real?

Don't you mean
>Miracles

user, I..

that would actually work in empty
space
t. ksp engineer

Nope. We find out how they work eventually.

You cant travel back to your original timeline once you leave it because it breaks the fundemental law of cause and effect. Everybody makes the assumption time travel is impossible because it would break reality, and they are half right it would break reality, but it doesnt if you leave your own timeline/dimension.

Isnt anime real in our hearts?

I call them Jow Forumsods

Also many worlds interpretation user and gravity user are on the right track.

Assuming that if you've gained an ability to time travel you've already ascended to the godhood and don't live in the normal biological sense.
>Even if that was true, let's say that you're able to go back to 1970. What determines which of these timelines is in the here and now? Are we living in 1970? Or 2019?
That's a paradox. If the past reality isn't stored anywhere and only exists in the current moment or a very short time frame (like a buffer) there will be nothing there if we go back in time.

Nice sci-fi tropes, brainlet.

I want it real in my life. When can I hold my waifu's hand? When can I have a real conversation with her? When can I cuddle with her at night? When can she bear my child?

it may be possible we just obliterate ourselves before we invent it

It isn't profitable because of the butterfly effect.
>tfw capitalism is the only thing stopping us from traveling through time.

>Think of a whiteboard, now draw a square on the board. Erase the square and draw a circle.

>Now If you want the whiteboard to show a square, do you have to go BACK IN TIME? No, you simply change the state again by erasing and drawing another square.

>The whiteboard has states but it has no "memory" of the previous states, it isn't storing that image of a square somewhere. It just exists in the state it currently is

are we looking at this the wrong way then? what if time travel is meant to exist in our minds

when he build it ... they will come ...

Attached: 1454784230949.jpg (500x500, 93K)

How can you prove my reality right now and your reality are the same reality? Why do you make the assumption they are?

Perhaps if i took a gun to my head right now and pulled the trigger, from your perspective i blow my brains out, but from my perspective every bullet is a dude or a misfire or the primer doesnt work?

time is a man-made concept to describe human perception of reality. you can't travel idea

>primer
I don't know if it was intentional, but that's the most realistic time travel movie ever.

>What really gives me cold sweats is thinking about what's beyond the quantum foam that universes are popping in and out of. Is it infinite? Why? Why is there anything at all? Can nothing even exist? Even if we were just part of a simulation, what's beyond their universe?
not trying to trigger a discussion with the fedoras, but this is why scientists become at least agnostic the deeper they dive into matters like this.

Based darkages poster

What you're suggesting is multiple realities that intersect in places with each other. And that would present many of the same paradoxes that time travel would bring about.

So basically, do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Go ahead and shoot yourself in the face to prove me wrong if you'd like.

Attached: 1539215028917.png (1144x888, 337K)

>What you're suggesting is multiple realities that intersect in places with each other.

You familiar with Langans Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe?

The world we live in is inherently in a 'resolved' state, one way or another
Either we all change timelines when alterations occur, the time traveler(s) change timelines independently of us, or there's some other explanation. Or we have seen them, but an extensive cover-up was able to hide that. Really, there's no way to be sure when we're talking only theoretically.

>Either we all change timelines when alterations occur, the time traveler(s) change timelines independently of us,

There are some smart fuckers on the chans.

Is DK Pepper still the drink of the chosen intellectuals?

Staying up late does that to you I guess
Actually yeah, I've had 2 liters of it tonight. I feel like shit though

>unresolvable logical paradoxes
lol, you are watching too much tv

Attached: doc-brown-e1531333034649.jpg (800x435, 48K)

Yeah it just doesn't add up. I can accept the idea of God if by god we mean "entity that orchestrated this simulation or universe", but such a being would have to have a creator as well, which makes calling it "god" not very productive so I just tell people I'm not religious

2 liters of soda will do that to you. Ditch it for water, you'll feel way better

well, pic related claimed that he experienced the absolute state (before the sense of I and the universe arise)

Also, he said, if you follow his instructions, you can know it too.

If anyone in modern times is an enlightened guru who knows the truth of the universe, it is this guy.

Attached: 220px-Nisargadatta_Maharaj.jpg (220x274, 9K)

Prove me wrong protip you can't

you aren't religious. You're logical.

Do you guys have the berenstein bears?

you'll never invent a time machine with water.

>Prove me wrong protip you can't
I don't believe in time, so how can I believe in time travel and try to proof you wrong.

how would we know they were time travelers?

It's all a bunch of woo woo to hide the fact that you're just telling your organic meat computer to squirt some chemicals that make you feel like you've accomplished whatever you're trying to do. It's the same as LSD or shrooms

I mean, YEAH MAAAN OPEN YOUR THIRD EYE WOOOO

Are you being cheeky and we're talking about spacetime, or are you saying you literally don't believe that the universe changes state?

If time travel were possible then it'd be a natural phenomena and thus would occur naturally in the universe and thus there would be no causality and thus there would be no universe

Oh no, this guy doesn't sprout this kind of woo woo shit.

I'm gonna paraprhase him, but as far I understood his teaching, he says that
>all there is is pure awareness (it's the building block of the universe)
>pure awareness is aware, but not concious of it self (it's the perfect state)
>the sense of conciseness arises spontaneously and awareness (which his you) starts to identify with a body-mind
>the body-mind creates the universe in which it experiences its limitations

There's no such thing as "time" or timelines. Stop being retarded.

But we travel in time constantly.
You can even adjust the speed by increasing or decreasing your brain's activity.
Going to sleep is like fast-forwarding your life.

Attached: 1546931117044.png (798x920, 105K)

In my timetime Macaulay Culkin died in the early 2000s of a drug overdose.

>the universe changes state
it does change state, but it does it in the eternal NOW (which is only what exists)

the past and future are concepts

>if computers were real they would be natural

It was technically free, and even if it wasn't I would still be doing it for the energy
Unless they have some seriously advanced technology that alters perceptions, it would probably be easy to tell if somebody was coming from 50 years or more in the future. The world then would probably be very different from how it is now, so different cultural values and behavior, slang usage/vocabulary, etc would probably be easy to pick up on for amateurs time travelers.

In my timeline you're still a faggot.