Is ARM the future?

Is ARM the future?

Attached: Screenshot_20190112-134858.png (1201x2048, 676K)

No

Why not? I mean they have been getting more and more powerful and now they are getting real software development for the platform

Cause they dont support legacy software.

What they keep trying to propose is either
a) Recompile every single piece of software anyone wants to use into ARM binaries
OR
b) Fuck you, you dont get to use legacy code.

And people wonder why ARM hasnt taken over yet.

snapdragon performance is slow at least right now so laptop prices should be much lower. there is no way i'm gonna pay 1000 bucks for oversized smart phone.

Not OP, but most NPC consumers aren't going to care about legacy software, just that they can get on faceflixgramblrsnap.

Windows already discontinued their ARM builds, it was a massive failure and there isn't any decent modern app out there.

Thats where your wrong, kiddo.
You fuck with work software, you fuck with the normies. And most normies screech like autists when they cant load their cryptolocker "workflow"

Highly improbable, x86 is thriving on computers today because it offers:
>the highest perf/watt possible
>backwards compatibility with old x86 software
>the highest sustained single and multi-threaded FP64 compute (ie AVX)

While ARM appears to perform better than x86 in some cases it's really just HW dec/enc built in which to be fair is very energy efficient but that only matters on cellphones with 9-12 Whr batteries and not your standard 40-80 Whr laptop.

This too, switching to ARM would require porting software to the architecture given how absolutely abhorrent x86 emulation is on ARM. Even exagear stuff takes eons to emulate XP era software.

>cpu of the future
>has to support legacy software
this has got to stop

They're covered by iPads.
Windows RT failed because of that mindset, "LOL who cares about win32".

for now yes, but sooner or later RISCV will prevail

fortunately we can always with some tricks install linux

It doesnt have to support legacy code. But then you have to make a software ecosystem that supports literally everything that x86 already does, and even then, whatever falls through the cracks is a user(s) that will 100% wont use your chip

Good fucking luck.

>
>Running Linux on an ARM cpu
Sounds like most smart phones

Why would I want this? For the same size and half the price of a typical one of these I can get some intel powered convertible/laptop whatever with a core m5 that's twice as fast, gets 10-12 hours of battery life, and weighs about the same.
Over the holidays I picked up a HP detachable for $499 with the core m3 which is comparable in speed to a last gen i5, i.e., it's blazing fast for the category and stomps anything in an ARM Windows device, a 12.3 inch screen at 2400x1600, that gets consistently good battery life over 10 hours and the screen part which is what I use most of the time is only 1.6 pounds. All that and not to mention quite nice build quality.
Wake me up when using a Windows ARM computer with emulated legacy binaries doesn't feel like the Acer Aspire One netbook I had in 2010 and I might be interested.

It's the past

Yes.
Can't wait for Apple to kill off M$ and wiping out the entire x86 intel desktop ecosystem with it. That it kills off loonix is just icing on the cake. Loonix can't even get 1% share with how easy it is to install on desktops. Good luck getting even 0.001% on ARM with locked bootloaders and proprietary drivers on the 500 completely unique android ARM devices every year.

Attached: 1522655534755.jpg (2272x1704, 144K)

I'm talking about for basic consumer level crap, normies aren't going to want to spend 500 doll hairs on a machine that is way overshooting what they need it to do. Most people don't even buy laptops anymore all their needs are met by one device that fits in their pocket

Case a) is going to be a challenge, because modern software takes advantage of so many instruction sets to speed up things like multimedia, that it would be literally impossible to successfully convert all software. Some software you won't be able to convert at all, and most will have worse performance.

yea dude android is gonna kill linux, how tf will we get LINUX to work with LINUX? I mean android....

Does the government where you live know you are this fucking brilliant? national treasure

I've been running Arch on a Chromebook for a little over a year and other than never being able to get X to work and the wifi drivers yelling at me constantly, it's great

Nobody will ever use windows on ARM you retard. You can't recompile all the proprietary garbage for it to work with ARM without the source code. Windows will always be stuck on it's shitty legacy architecture while linux users may move on to Risc V.

this, they won't release the source and if MS attempts it themselves as a prepackaged installer they'll fuck it

also Risc V, just.... Risc V

>I'm talking about for basic consumer level crap, normies aren't going to want to spend 500 doll hairs on a machine that is way overshooting what they need it to do. Most people don't even buy laptops anymore all their needs are met by one device that fits in their pocket
Your last sentence makes another compelling argument of why people would not want ARM Windows laptops. One of the main reasons a person might need a laptop over a phone is they need more power, they're using some specialty software that doesn't exist on mobile, or they're crunching number with a spreadsheet or whatever.
If they need power, ARM is not the answer right now as Intel is much faster.
If they need cheap, ARM is not the answer, I mean, have you priced these Windows ARM laptops like that HP one going for a cool grand?
The only way to make these things super cheap is to go with really crap MediaTek CPUs but the unit will still go for a couple of hundred bucks at least. At some point, even the dumbest consumer will balk and say "it's slow" as they sidle up to the returns counter. This is netbooks all over again written all over it.

You realize ARM has its own optimizations, right?

>ARM
why is everyone looking towards this pile of dogshit architecture when we could be looking at already great architectures like sparc64

>corporate shit
I'd take RISC-V any day of the week.

>ARM
>hey, let's give manufacturers the ability to completely lock down the devices and deny users the ability to install a non-shit OS
No. I'd rather stay on x86.

>Believe Mac computer becomes 99% in few years

What makes you think manufacturers won't do the same with RISC-V? This is what you get for licensing freedom.

Where did I mention RISCV?

They already make ARM datacenter chips. They suck unless you need a bunch of slow cores. They're only really suitable for webserver workloads.

You realize if you added all the optimizations x86 has to ARM you'd have x86, right?

>Cause they dont support legacy software.
the only app i use on win10 is mpv and chrome and notepad and paint

the problem is oracle. SPARC will never live again as long as they have ANYTHING that remotely has to do with it. but i agree, the problem was solved over two decades ago, sadly we never listened to them.

No. It's slower. Just because if you put a shitload of cores of it you can match the performance of an i3 doesn't mean it's a suitable replacement for one. Maybe if you guys meme it enough you can force it in the marketplace and set technological progress back a decade.

>the problem is oracle.
whats the problem with oracle? sparc has been an open architecture for quite a while now

Oracle will sue your ass off if you try to actually do anything commercial with it though. Can claim it infringes on some patent or whatever. That's also why OpenSparc T1-2 never went anywhere too.

It's an horrible, locked down future.

fpbp
/thread

The majority of x86/x64 software runs fine on Windows/ARM because it just JITs it into ARM opcodes.
ARM is basically built for jitting anyway.

If by "optimization" you mean "prevent anyone from directly accessing or modifying registers and memory making it a more expensive and time consuming process then direct access like with x86" then sure.

ARM has always been "powerful" to some standard, and it's already taken over most of computing in general for decades now, but it's never going to do shit for desktops because it offers nothing to them.
Nobody gives a shit about power consumption on devices that will always be plugged into a wall or in the case of short-range devices like laptops, almost always be near one. Nobody gives a shit if it can open Facebook and Youtube without lagging now because their PC does that too. Nobody gives a shit if it can run "real software" now because their PC already did that for years and can run even more of it with no restrictions. It offers nothing to OEMs either, which would undoubtedly have to blow billions of dollars on re-tooling, re-negotiating contracts and engineering new products and software around a processor that at best is the same and at worst is shittier for everything that actually matters to PC users in 2018. Those who didn't give a shit about compatibility, expandability, openness or the countless other things that people frequently cite in response to these stupid threads already went to smartphones and tablets years ago and making PCs less useful will never bring them back or make life easier for anyone.
People generally want a tool that can actually do some kind of job, which is usually more than a web browser and a music player despite what Jow Forums often believes.

>Windows already discontinued their ARM builds
There is no fucking way they've given up already, how long have their always connected machines been out?
Fuck, have they even hit a second generation of snapdragon laptops yet?
I guess at first they thought "We can use ARM as an excuse to kill Win32", now they've gone "Fuck it, I don't care, we don't need a reason, we can kill it anyway!"
Fuck, they just added ARM64 to visual studio, there's no way they've killed it

Nigga that's not ARM, that's ARCH

>"We can use ARM as an excuse to kill Win32"
How the fuck can swapping architectures kill an architecture-agnostic API?

The arm win 10 has 100% comparability with x86 windows applications. Not sure what the performance impact is though. They're using some form of emulation I think

They use x86 emulation which means shittier performance and probably nullifying any of the power consumption advantages that are literally all ARM has over x86 in this role.