/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420), quadcore compatible, classic keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/T530; W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1422051381835.jpg (3900x2600, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCYtIIG5V9w
github.com/wallace-aph/tiles-and-such
anonfile.com/I0H9z8qbbb/tiles_zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone willing to sell me their used ThinkPad for next to nothing?

I started noticing small vibrating green glitchs on my screen.
My W510's GPU is dying, isn't it?

What type of computer will we be using in 10 years or so?
Afaik nothing compares to old thinkpads in terms of build quality right now
Will we just be SOL by then?

is x220t/x230t good for taking notes?

I'll keep using my X220 until the day I die.

Even a X60 is good for that.

everyone will be driving dune buggies around a mad max hell scape shooting at each other over clean drinking water, /tpg/ consensus will still probably settle on whatever used thinkpad is $200ish on ebay

no, i mean like drawing them

Oh, I guess, seen a prof drafting some sketches on it.

Maybe, replacing the CPU shouldn't be too difficult tho

Yeah probably
Global consumer capitalism will kill us all

W510 has only a quadro on the motherboard

yes, even x60t is good at that

Well guys, I failed.

I corebooted my T420 Last June, and ever since then I have had endless problems. Most of the RAM I tried didn't work, and I would get random freezes when playing video, and randomly between 20 minutes to 3 hours after turning on, the screen would go black and the machine would need a hard reset. battery life also tanked.

Last night I took the Ivy Bridge CPU out, reflashed my stock bios, and installed my 8GB of ram and it is so much better having my old laptop back.

It was a fun experiment, but I am sticking to stock for now.

i mean look at op. you'd get laughed outta here for buying the t440s a year ago

Don't forget install gentoo.

/tpg/ is literally old men yelling at sky at this point, most people here hate anything that's new because it's new pretty much

uwu

Attached: 1547120534379934.jpg (2328x1746, 1.45M)

Where did you get that yotsuba sticker?

I made it, amazon to inkjet vinyl for like £8 a pack

Attached: stickies-min.png (2480x3508, 1.05M)

I'll let you know soon, I'm gonna buy a used X220T in a few hours/days from a used electronics shop; they are apparently in 'excellent' condition. I'm gonna use it for taking notes too but it works well for whatever weebshit you're planning.
youtube.com/watch?v=uCYtIIG5V9w

This is mental illness

Upgrading from a X220 to a T450s. What am I in for?

Attached: 2015-11-22-product-10.jpg (1100x653, 506K)

A laptop that is acceptable to use in the current year

significantly better screen quality, graphics performance and battery life, and not much else I'd say
frankly I'd save or wait some more to get the T480

a bigger screen probably not much else because laptop cpus have barely improved

disgusting

Attached: 1540746560919.jpg (777x1087, 677K)

Lain stickers are okay, all else are trash and ruin thinkpad.

Might try to make some for one of mine.

Attached: 1530903461408-a.png (1098x1645, 1.09M)

>a macshitter's stickers are ok
nu/g/

To be honest, my T520 is a bit fat.
A W530 with a keyboard swap would be a reasonable upgrade, right?

Is a thinkpad X1 overkill if I don’t ever plan on gaming or running intense programs? the most “intense” thing i would be doing with it would be having multiple chrome tabs open with microsoft word running at the same time.

More than anything I want reliability and durability.

Also what are the big differences between the X1 and T480/T580? which one would be better for me?

thanks Jow Forumsentz

Attached: 97FCEC27-95D4-4C36-9A17-6855293BDF9A.jpg (1080x1350, 161K)

>nu/g/
neo-Jow Forums

Don't like cute sucidal boi?

Attached: 1546834952612.png (956x809, 116K)

Keyboard swap on the W530 are pointless for they have the LiteOn keyboard models, these feel as good as the T/X60 'boards, therefore superior to the mushiness of T400 models and onward.
Plus there's really not much difference between those 15 inch models anyway; unlike the X220 and X230 whose major differences are in battery life, you surely don't need to prioritise this in workstation models?

mac?

Did you update it somewhat recently? I am having no problems with coreboot on my T430 (after replacing the mobo with a non-nvidia one), so this is surprising. Does your T420 have an nvidia gpu?

shotas aren't cute

Attached: ayumi.png (217x782, 128K)

Just buy the T480, the X1 is a lighter, more mobile variation so if you want reliability/durability, and not portability, buy the T series
The T580 is just the physically bigger version

i can spend up $900 in a ThinkPad.
can u link me to Amazon please? Thanks user.

Lainfag here, he's referring to most of the Navis in SEL being based on mac. Most popular one being her navi which is almost identical to the 20th anniversary mac. There's other things from the show, if you're interested someone has a site showing references to macs from the show at cjas.org

But you know what, they didn't have thinkpads in her world, so she trancended the physical to get away from the horrid navis (macs). Had there been a cozy x200 she may have not noticed her potential.

Attached: images(24).jpg (246x205, 6K)

who?

Am I a fool for eyeing a new X1 Carbon for $2000? It has an HDR 2560x1440 screen. I think I'd love it forever.

So I got this X240 for $120. The seller told me it's an FHD touchscreen model but turns out it's 1366x768 non-touch crap.

Should I return it?

Yes, it's not as described and the 768p screen is garbage.

Looking for a thinkpad with 4gb video memory and 16 gigs of ram

then buy one

t440s fhd 8gb ram for $200? Should I buy?

It's also touch for my mum

If you can settle for 2gb of video memory then get a T-series with discreet graphics. 4gb though? P series are your only option.

but the TAM and 90s no-Steve Macs (Quadra, Performa, etc) are based

who is this guy in the OP picture?

Someone help identify this model plox

Attached: m25505674524_1.jpg (1600x1200, 1.19M)

T61 or T400

The T580 isn't bad for portability compared to a T480.

T61 confirmed

Fugg where are all the libreboot laptops at

>Fugg where are all the libreboot laptops at
t61 unfortunately is not supported by coreboot or libreboot

uwu

Attached: IMG_1048.jpg (3024x3024, 1.68M)

I know user

Gimme lain text wallpapers?
And that x200 better have a free bios and OS

mr. touhou X201 guy, I think it's time for you to take all your wallpapers and upload them to Gdrive and post the link, or post magnet link or something, or post source, .. idk I just really love your wallpapers and I already have a couple old ones of yours saved

I landed a t450s on Ebay for $200. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm replacing my puny Asus netbook so I'm excited.
How did I do, Gee?

Attached: 1538442053165.jpg (683x700, 176K)

I used to have a 2570p but sold it because of the screen.
Got a 12" elitebook with a fhd ips screen and a t440s now. There's no going back the the 768p TN stuff.

>Gimme lain text wallpapers
i'm guessing youre talking about this one. it's installed on fedora by default
user i get my wallpapers from here github.com/wallace-aph/tiles-and-such

Attached: blue_type.png (289x150, 11K)

> shotas aren't cute
I politely disagree.

>unironically installs debian on anything other than a server

i was debating between a t450 or t440 until i saw a 1st gen x1 carbon listed for 200 USD on offerup, 200 for an i7 and a 250 gb ssd with a touch display. love it.

it's an old picture. it was live usb, don't worry user i insalled a superior distro(fedora)
i zipped some of wallpapers i use on my x201
anonfile.com/I0H9z8qbbb/tiles_zip

Fuck it anons, I think I'm finally going to drop the money on one of these.

Attached: images(95).jpg (276x183, 10K)

my x220 needs a new battery. do i get one of the new batteries or a genuine lenovo batter off ebay? does it make a difference?

What are good games that can be played on an x220 with Ubuntu? Will tf2 run?

SuperTuxKart

You’d love it until the next great thing came around, be honest with yourself. Besides what does it matter having HDR on a screen the size of an A4 piece of paper?

Yeah, but I would recommend you get one of those ultra low settings configs. I get upwards of 100 fps with one of those on my T430s.

Attached: 7.jpg (1462x2048, 837K)

Also are there any thinkpads capable of light modern gaming? I’ve had my x220 for four years and might upgrade

What's the correct wifi card to get for my x60s?

Attached: 1436315629261.jpg (362x346, 38K)

8th gen T series comes with mx150 graphics which is perfect for light gaming, if you need more oomph you'd need to go for X1 extreme/P1/P52 but those are significally more expensive

my chink 9 cell gets 2-3 hours

what hand do you use for the clit left or right?

right hand is much more precise for me

okay ive never really used mine. im left handed but use my mouse in my right but cant get used to it with either hand kek

How many more years do you think a t420 will be feasible for general tasks?

Intel 39xx

depending on what "general tasks" are to you it's already obsolete or will last another 10 years, that's way too broad of a generalization

Browsing internet. Viewing/playing media. Compiling Java

I feel like 4gbs is already stretching it for modern browsers

Did you know you can add more ram? It's a Thinkpad, not a Macbook.

I've heard people complaining about youtube playback issues on t420/x220, I'm sure there are workarounds but if av1 becomes mainstream codec for yt these old machines may struggle a lot, ram is expandable I think you can go up to 16gb of ram? I don't think that's an issue here, as for compiling it's all about patience I guess.

I miss moot. :(

who?

He was this huge newfag who used to hang around a few of the boards. Allegedly wanted to be a little girl. Spent a lot of time in mexico I hear. Famous for making soup, back in the day.

Attached: 1411352076673.gif (320x180, 1.53M)

Are carbons as good as the T/X series?

>Are carbons as good as the T/X series?
We have a lot of both at work. The Carbons are way less robust. But then... everything new is less robust than just a few years ago :-(

Yes, unless it has the best CPU option.

>Most available Dell's X240 counterpart don't have a clit
Why?

Attached: 1545767755337.jpg (1498x1022, 159K)

which elitebook?
Maybe it's because I'm obsessed with making the most of as little as possible, but 768p doesn't bother me at all. Sure I'll take IPS over TN and yes it's an inferior resolution, but I always get a nagging feeling if I have a workflow that would fit on 1024x768 (1366 is the same to me).

Honestly though the 2570p is one fantastic fucking machine. Even without a quadcore it has more than enough cpu to run emulators, games through wine, a bloated ass latex setup, whatever fucking OS you want without dealing with driver bullshit because there's no wifi card whitelist etc. I also love how you can have 2 full size drives in it. You literally can't do that on any X series, newer T series or even newer latitudes and elitebooks.

Attached: 2019-01-11-1547246917.png (1366x768, 1.56M)

why not just get an x260? They're cheap now

Anyone use mpv to watch youtube on the older thinkpads? Is there anyway to lock the resolution to below 1080 or whatever else? It's really annoying waiting like 5 minutes to load up a video because it's in 4k by default.

Get an X240 and do the trackpad swap.

Can't find cheap FHD yet. My budget is $250.

I won a bid for a FHD touchscreen model but seller sent a non-touchscreen HD. I messaged him but still no reply.

Then get the website involved.