Besides being written in Python, which i understand is not practical for desktop aplications...

Besides being written in Python, which i understand is not practical for desktop aplications, what are the other problems with ranger fm? Is there any alternative that is as convenient and sane? For what reason are these alternatives up to par?

I don't care for feature richness, basic file operations and search are enough. I'm just tired of the {cd,ls,mv || cp || rm} routine for file managing.

Attached: ranger.png (578x304, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gmhY9-ZGmlU
github.com/jarun/nnn
benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/faster/python3-gcc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>which i understand is not practical for desktop aplications
who told you that? that's retarded. Python is just fine for a non hardware intensive application that needs to run at human speed. ranger has no problems.

Ranger is slow, change to vifm has all the features and more

Python is slow my friend, it also breaks a lot

Took the suggestion and installed vifm.

What's up the double panel? Is it a design choice? Is it practical in any way? I'm quite curious about it.

I think you can change it just like the colors and the frames, btw the newer version supports image previews and they are working on tree preview and navigation. The double pane works for me, I had use it since ranger.

use lf, kids

Any idea what language it's written and how much it can take before starting to lag?

C++ iirc, is blazing fast I didn't see a lag yet but also didn't test it beyond normal use. The tree view does have a lag if you activate it as it will scan everything the first time and then rescan for changes with a lesser lag.

pcmanfm is comfy af

@69335188
who cares what language a file manager is written in? does it manage files? yes? ok. don't like it? write your own or deal with it.
anyway, here's yet another alternative
youtube.com/watch?v=gmhY9-ZGmlU

>Python is slow my friend, it also breaks a lot
Ur a fucking retard, how the hell can you judge the speed or buggyness of a language based on shit code you wrote??

Ranger is badly written then, happy?

a stupid statement 'python, which is not practical for desktop applications'
idiot.

Pythonisas please go and stay go

these people are idiots
unqualified dross, from r*ddit, probably

Why can't these faggots write arguments like grown men?

Attached: golang.gif (500x500, 250K)

Well, Python IS slow. I remember I was writing some Project Euler challenges in Python. There was one which took 86 seconds to get to the result in Python. It took 10 seconds in C++.

Of course there was ways to optimize the code with some mathematics that I don't yet understand, and I don't think it's intelligent to meddle with things way beyond my reasoning. Some people in the forums managed to improve the runtime for that challenge by almost tenfold, in Python.

It isn't buggy or crashy though. It is the developer who is to blame for faulty behavior.

github.com/jarun/nnn

You're welcome

>nnn
I never understood why not using fzy at that point.

Is it better than fzf? I've been wanting into fzf, hopefully tomorrow. Looking for really good integration with git, neovim, and zsh.

Better algorithm and written in C according to their github

the idea behind multi-panel managers is that the opposite panel is the automatic target for move and copy operations

benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/faster/python3-gcc.html

Kindly read the posts you intend to reply to before doing so.

python is fine, nothing ranger does will be perceptively slow by virtue of being python. waiting on disk IO or your terminal emulator will be the source of any perceived slowness.

Ranger uses miller columns, while vifm is a midnight commander clone. Therefore, ranger is superior.

>Well, Python IS slow. I remember I was writing some Project Euler challenges in Python. There was one which took 86 seconds to get to the result in Python. It took 10 seconds in C++.
Do you really think a file manager is doing hard number crunching? Every perceptible hang is going to be related to IO blocking.

The last time I tried nnn, I managed to make it segfault after using it for less than five minutes.

>What's up the double panel? Is it a design choice? Is it practical in any way?
Makes file copy/move a shitload easier.
Open one panel for source, another for destionation, use visual mode to select source files then just type ":copy". Voila.

You can always switch to single panel and back. Try:
>:only
>:split
>:vsplit

Also:
READ THE FUCKING MANUAL!!!
E
A
D

T
H
E

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

M
A
N
U
A
L
!
!
!

I'm not saying python is bad. I fucking love it. I use it more than any other language. But it is slow compared to C/++. However, I believe the issue with this program is simply BAD CODE. I've seen some 3D graphing programs written with PyQt which are simply LIGHTWEIGHT, BABY.

The one in C++ took 10 minutes longer to write.

Fuck off with your python shit

>Newer version supports image previews

Thanks fren, didn't know this. I liked vifm before but chose ranger instead because of the image previews. Cant wait to go home and install it.

Reeee cant get it working under urxvt

Ranger is really nice and intuitive, it does feel kinda slow but maybe because I use it to browse sshfss

Things that are very dumb:
• miller columns
• terminal images

but miller columns are goat for browsing tree structures

miller columns are much better than YET ANOTHER midnight commander clone...

Fuck off with your retarded uninformed opinions.

just use midnight commander

go has the most retarded syntax I've seen. it makes it too obvious that it tries to pander to brainlets