>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 3194720-dsc08320-2.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/fKBnhy
pcpartpicker.com/list/VbWq8Y
reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/6e336c/guys_please_learn_from_my_mistake/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

inb4 some disgusting neckbeard contrarian says "hurr durr muh leds are stupid and ugly not like my shit-brown Noctua fans"

Jesus fucking Christ, how long will it take for Navi to come out? Should I just say fuck it and buy an RX580/590? Those are still overpriced as fuck and three years old at this point.

RGB is autistic shit for dumb fucking children

my eyes actually hurt cant believe people pay extra for this shit

Would a Radeon 7 be worth it if I'm able to get it for $142? I'm mainly worried about power consumption, was wondering if it can be undervolted/OC'ed like a 56/64 to get lower TDP.

Piecing together my old PC for a friend, why will it not boot with a sata device connected, but it will boot to the BIOS without? If we do just the power cable to the SSD, it will boot. If we do just the sata cable, it will boot. But with both sata and the power cable it won't. It also won't boot if both are connected to a disc drive.

Probably more than 6 months.
If we're really lucky we'll get it by june/july, but it'll most likely come later.
I wouldn't expect much from it though. AMD's promising a new architecture next year which probably means they're going to half ass some midrange cards for us this year and totally extra super promise "next year guys, next year. That's when shit gets real".

Engineering samples usually clock a lot lower than final silicon.

Attached: zoomer.gif (350x409, 437K)

I am not expecting much from it either, but I still can't bring myself to pay so much money for the current cards when they are 3 years old, I am worried about longevity too.

>t. shit-brown Noctua fan owner

that would basically be a steal, yes

What are you going to do? Pay someone to steal one?

I did a little more research and it seems like you are supposed to use the cables that come with the psu, and I'm not because I don't have a ribbon cable from the original. Would that really be enough to keep it from booting?

Attached: 1547217424708.png (680x471, 108K)

If you were using a modular power cable from another PSU that wouldn't just be enough to stop it from booting, it can blow your connected drives all to hell.
I've seen it so bad part of the ssd was scorched where the power cable connects

I bought a 1070Ti from Micro Center awhile ago for $458 and got a 2 year warranty that can let you return it if anything goes wrong with it in exchange for the same amount you paid for said item in in-store credit, however this can be exploited since the people at the return desk almost never check to make sure you're not lying. I also got a $100 Micro Center gift card for Christmas which technically brings down the price even more but I'm not sure if my 520W PSU will have the headroom to handle it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fKBnhy

Already have asus vs239h-p monitor.

Rate build please, it is my first time. Not sure if should get 16 gb ram and i don't think i need a gpu.

I don't play video games. Use Linux mint. I do some programming and web browsing. My current computer is just getting old and I'd like the experience of build.

Thanks guys

Yeah 520W will bet tight for a Radeon 7.
You wont be able to OC a cpu with that GPU in a 520W system.

I have a 1600 clocked at 3.9GHz but I'll probably replace my 1600 at some point since I can see it becoming a bottleneck with Radeon 7, then I'll replace the PSU.

Just finished my pc build, installing all the games, what should I do after a fresh install of windows?

Is there any point in getting over 60 Hz monitor if I don't play competitive PvP shooters? Most games I play are 2d as well and I don't think other tasks like coding, browsing, watching videos benefit from 60+ Hz either, am I missing anything?

I am pretty sure that if you don't have a gpu you will need an igpu. that cpu doesn't have one.

Why does it matter what color the fans are it's not like I have a dumbass window on my case.

I found it helpful to have a monitor that can OC to 75Hz when playing BOTW through cemu because I couldn't get 60fps with my ryzen CPU but I could get a locked 37.5fps, which was able to vsync with 75hz. It was noticeably smoother than 30fps too.
Variable refresh rates on monitors make this sort of thing easy too, but you need a good one to get decent performance below 50fps

there you go:
pcpartpicker.com/list/VbWq8Y
The 200GE Athlon meme would also be enough for you I guess but it's nice to have at least some power.

Yes.

explain further

We are putting a brand new psu in and seeing if that solves it. I hope that's the case, because right now it won't boot with power to the disc drive, old hdd, or new ssd, and I can't figure out why that may be, especially since it boots without any of them

>t. faggot who has a lgbtqaa+ light show in his case

Someone tell me. Would that actually help me? I know I can delid the i5. but I don't know if I should and if I could delid the xeon.

The 140MM Noctua CPU heatsink is fine if I'm not going to OC a 8700/9700K right?

I'm not sure on being able to fit an AIO radiator

what are the best ultrawide monitors to get that are similar to 1440p, IPS, 75Hz (144Hz would or near that would be preferred)?

If your case is big enough for a 140mm tower cooler it's almost certainly big enough for a 240mm AIO.
But yes that cooler will be fine.

Nah, my fucking stupid ass has every fucking HDD try filled.

I'm a data hoarding whoreson

You don't have 2 120mm fan spaces on the top of your case?

Get / make a NAS

To any anons that even care, it was in fact the cords from the old psu causing the problem. A $40 EVGAy did the trick and everything is working fine. Let my retardation be a lesson: sometimes pcs don't like to boot unless you use the exact same cables that came with your power supply.

Attached: 1547152365953.png (456x356, 109K)

You're actually really lucky if you didn't kill anything.
This is a typical result reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/6e336c/guys_please_learn_from_my_mistake/

How are they not fucking uniform? Modular PSUs are nearly the fucking industry standard

Attached: 1487766872694.jpg (1500x2788, 302K)

>Put in key
>Error:
>0c004e003

It's windows 7 ultimate, it's supposed to be preactivated or something but windows bothers me to activate it.
I tried using a key and this key gave me that error.

Attached: 2019-01-13 13_24_34-Windows Activation.png (514x134, 5K)

Because they aren't an industry standard.
The PC industry has always been a clusterfuck of incompatibilities. We're lucky we have the kind of standards we even have now.

Built a new pc last week and I'm running into an issue where neither of my displays will recognize input when I start the computer. I have to reboot and unplug the cables a few times before the post screen comes up on one of them. Using a Ryzen 220G and a 1060 with 1 HDMI and 1 displayport on an asus monitor and a TV

Attached: 1546763942295.jpg (600x664, 71K)

call windows support or just use a crack.

I'll try using a crack again, last time they failed....

I have a pixio 144hz 1440p monitor now and need to upgrade from my gtx 980 to make better use of it.

So GTX 1070 Ti or RTX 2070 and why? Help pls

I believe DAZ loader is what you should be using

I just upgraded from 7970 to RTX 2070. They seemed like the same price and 2070 was slightly better and i would rather have the newest generation of chip possible if price and performance are the same.

Ok cool. Wasn't sure if the OP was implying that the 1070s are better

I feel like the 2070s are a little cheaper now than they were. I got mine on newegg for $520, so like $20 more than the 1070 Ti cards i saw. Seemed worth it in case ray tracing ends up not being a meme.

having said that, as noted in OP
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
If youre trying to run things high and use all those 144Hz you might need something better than 2070

Maybe a little out of my price range and not sure if i need to upgrade CPU as well...I have an i7 4790k

I think the only way RTX features will not end up being the physX of the next couple years is if Nvidia either makes it really easy to implement RTX features, especially DLSS, or the console GPUs end up having a similar hardware based ray tracing solution, either AMD made or possibly even Nvidia.
It'd certainly be nice if going forward this became a standard, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
Though I do wonder what would happen if you added checkerboard rendering to DLSS. probably nothing good but i'd like to see it.

then i'd say just get the 2070, unless you can find the 1070 ti for a good deal cheaper. If you end up playing anything like a fast pace fps you can always just turn down fidelity for framerate if you want.

No one?

Attached: 72395729_p0_master1200.jpg (900x506, 419K)

How so?

Try having the monitors off, boot up, then turn them on. Other than that i have no idea.

Do you think I should upgrade my CPU anyway?

I would say do what i'm doing. Upgrade the GPU and see where you're at and then decide if you feel limited. Im running an i5 3570k and i'm thinking i probably do need to upgrade, which is going to be nearly a fresh build i think.

To that end, if anyone has upgrade suggestions for CPU i'd love to hear them

You gave us jack shit information.
If you do basic problem solving you can figure out if it's a dead port or cable. If you dont have extra cables or ports to test we can't help anyway.
You do have both displays plugged into the GPU right?

Gigabyte 970-DS3P
FX-4300
GTX1060
Crucial 16GB 1600MHz

Should I upgrade the entire machine or get an FX-8350?

i have 16Gb of 1333MHz ram. Do i need to trash this and get faster ram or should i just add another 16Gb?

You should definitely upgrade the CPU, that thing will be bottleneck a 1060 at 1080p.
As to what you should upgrade to, just see what's available. gen 2 and 3 i5s and i7s will be faster than a 8350 for gaming and you can generally pick up a CPU+mobo for $100-$200 depending on whether you get an i5 or i7.
If you dont want to deal with used just get ryzen. I dont see any point sticking to AM3 now that RAM prices are getting reasonable again

Is the 9700k as good as Sandybridge? Do you think it will last me 8 years as well? I don't want AMD cuz it seems like people keep the same mobo but replace the cpu every time new one comes out. But I want a good long life cpu

I can get a brand new 8350 on newegg for $74.99, I thibk that'll be enough to keep going and then start a new rig from scratch. with RTX 2060 or something because this 1060 still works.

People replace the cpu because they can, believe me you'd have upgraded that sandybridge at every point it would be optimal if intel didn't change sockets every generation.

If you're so married to the idea why did you even ask?

I didn't know they were selling them so cheap until now, I thought I was going to have to go used on an unlocked processor, which may not be the best thing.

No, probably not.
Sandy Bridge is only just starting to see games it has trouble getting 60fps locked in and even if intel tried their beast to keep the platform the same, skylake requires a new platform for DDR4.

>CPU-Z reports core voltage at 1.29V
>HWINFO reports CPU VID at 1.35V
????

>2019
>ddr3

Attached: nowhere.png (300x325, 2K)

The 1.29v is what your cpu is actually getting, the VID is a number that the processor specifies it should be getting to get it's stock clock speed stable.

DDR3 still works if you have 1866 or 2133

Its an old computer (~2012). I guess i should just do a fully new build but i can never decide what i want to get.

I just bought 2070, should i get a R7 2700x build or a i9 9700k?

look how bad the backlight bleed is on that monitor lmao

everything in this picture is cheap chink garbage for children

Attached: yep.jpg (480x360, 23K)

stay mad

Attached: unnamed.jpg (4032x3024, 820K)

That doesn't seem to be how it works on mine.
On my b350 it seems VID is the voltage i set it to in the bios and core voltage is just whatever the fuck it wants to be

im getting BSODs everytime i try to fresh install windows 10 on my new setup (and each time the error is a different one). I can install ubuntu without any problems, but windows 10 is fucking me. Any idea what I should do?
>google it
tried and got nothing useful

It looks like a slut at mardi gras

I'm still running a 2600K
If you're looking for something to last almost 10 years like Sandy Bridge did, I'd say that the 9900K may be worth it.
Back in the day people said just get a 2500K, hyperthreading isn't worth it, and they would be right in 2011. But 8 years later, the extra threads make a difference. I would assume the same would be true for 9700K vs 9900K.
>Sandy Bridge is only just starting to see games it has trouble getting 60fps
It is pretty impressive, I have my 2600K will play modern, graphically intense games at 60FPS at 1440p. Not maxed out but High/Very High.
Only overclocked to 4.4GHz @ 1.28V, could get it higher if I wanted.

jesus they make led ram....

Attached: so_good.jpg (659x609, 36K)

How much can you control it? Can you basically use the 4 of them as a tiny screen?

I actually had the 2500k. I figured that the equivalent to it would be the 9600k, 2600k was the 9700k, and 2700k was the 9900k. I guess I was wrong to assume that.

they're actually pretty bad, they each have only 5 zones, you can see them in the pic

and also two of those "ram" sticks are just RGB, they call them "demo" modules, pretty much only reason I went with them

Still fucking waiting on my louqe ghost s1 case
latest email said by the end of feb
I was told it would ship on the 2nd of january....

Attached: SFFbuild.jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

Intel fucked their core i3,5,7 scheme up this gen.
the "i7" 9700k doesn't have HT. the 9600K is like an unlocked i5 with less cores, the 9700k is an unlocked i5 with more cores, the 9900k is a real "i7" with HT.

how much did you pay for those monstrosities

$180, fucking worth

How many Darwin Awards are we going to see from millennials, water, and electricity being in the same place, at the same time?

For 32GB?

so should one just go with the amd 2700k or shell out for the 9900k

How the hell are you going to die from a water cooling leak?

Attached: 1544754089445.jpg (619x453, 47K)

If you can wait for Zen 3 theres apparently going to be a 12C/24T consumer CPU for less than the 9900K.

Or get a sufficient temporary ryzen and Just Waitâ„¢ for Zen 2

If I only plan to game and do no workstation tasks wouldn't 9900k be a bit overkill?

Why is one of your GPU fans covered?