Post-Cold War technological Stagnation

How much more advanced would we be in the Soviet Union never collapsed and the US/USSR both kept their vicious competitive drive?

Attached: 1526200749273.jpg (5100x3996, 2.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Lg73GKm7GgI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That plane had it's first flight in 1964, only 19 years after the end of the second World War. You're asking the wrong question, but you will find the answer in antarctica.

>antarctica meme
pls

>anctartica
Explain.

Not nearly as advanced as we would be if WWII went on for another 10 years.

the eurocanards (eurofighter, rafale, gripen) programs all started in the late 70s and did not come into service until the 90s (right about when the USSR was breaking up), so stagnation started long before the USSR fell

but now imagine very invention that was made had been made 100 years earlier

In the aerospace/nuclear/space fields? Probably somewhat more advanced, but a lot of that progress is dependent upon materials science.
This was the perfect timeline for computer advancement though. You can edit 4k video on your phone, 25 years ago powerful machines struggled to work with 240p, 40 years ago video on a computer was a pipe dream.

Things like the SR-71 seem advanced, but in reality are nothing compared to the modern fighters fielded. The SR-71, while an engineering feat, leaked fuel and relied more on brute force than anything. This was back when the military had unlimited money to throw at black projects.

Why bother inventing when everyone else will just steal your design?

Attached: 1521082635127.png (1196x562, 1.15M)

this. people are retarded if they think that technological gap was caused by the cold war and not by the U.S. getting their hands on some secret tech in the middle of fuckwhere

>relied more on brute force than anything

A design philosophy we shall (thankfully) quickly return to once WW3 kicks off.

Attached: 1534662377398.jpg (597x351, 32K)

>antarctica
Is this some flat earther meme?

Ranting about the military procurement process is something I am prone to do.
I'll save you all the pain, and it basically boils down to the fact that we haven't gotten our asses handed to us in a long, long time. This allows all sorts of buddy buddy stupid procurement politics to happen

Pic related I literally took today at the base store. That's the brand of shit we're forced to buy if we're spending government money for projects. It's such a scam on the taxpayer.

Attached: SHIT.jpg (1216x632, 154K)

but they went bankrupt and couldn't even print enough money to keep that shithole afloat.

>40 years since the last technological prodigy, only minor stuff have been developed since then
>right after ww2 we switched from a turboprop planes made of wood and aluminium to a fucking Lookheed SR71 Blackbird, a plane able to reach Mach 4, fly at 1/3 of the Karman line while being completely undetectable

Attached: 952.jpg (1280x720, 145K)

>98.50 for a fucking screwdriver set

Either eurabia or chinada

I'm in the U.S. military my guy.
Ever wonder why the defense budget is so bloated? Shit like that, where a screwdriver set is $100 because it comes from some pork barrel blind employment agency designed to line a politician's pockets.

Jut go off the base you pleb, the PX stores are a fucking scam and their employees are shit/whores

Worst fucking meme, ongoing warfare leads to destruction of research and production facilities and production of tried and true weapons instead of real innovation, nazi wonderweapons only served to bring down the reich faster with unnecessary spending

Did you read what I said? We're forced to buy that brand of shit if we're using government money.

>Live updates from inside the military–industrial complex
What a time to be alive.

Attached: tumblr_n92ymmY4CL1tcwqljo1_1280.png (960x540, 127K)

>That plane had it's first flight in 1964, only 19 years after the end of the second World War.
1960: Gary Powers shot down in his U-2
1964: Blackbird prototypes flew
1968: Blackbird hammered across enemy airspace with utter impunity.

Post cold war equivalent with F-35 as an example:
1992: development starts
2006: first flight
2018: allegedly operational where the US leaves flight in anger to Israel and operations remain mainly looking mean on the tarmac.

No. Impressed. One. Bit.

We went from challenging a global super power to struggling against inbred, lice infested superstitious sand people. We're an inferior generation cut us some slack.

This makes little sense. Extolling material science while dismissing SR-71 is of course a contradiction given that SR.71 as the first aircraft to use titanium on a large scale.

There is also the development in fuel, what other aircrafts were designed with this type of fuel?

>completely undetectable
Yeah I'm sure a plane flying at Mach 4 is really silent

>We're an inferior generation cut us some slack.

Sadly the numbers after your post (911) indicates one of the most over exaggerated events after the holocaust so under Kek's advise we can't cut you any slack even if what you said is true.

You know, I am not blaming you or the US. I am here in Europe and we have the rot here too. And I have thought a lot about how we in the West ended up in this particular ditch.

One of my lecturers was part of the US space race, the same era as the Blackbird development (). He told us of an era of a hard working time where competent people delivered quietly, men such as Kelly Johnson. He told us of rubber bands and chewing gum keeping things together. it was all lashed together so it was a miracle so few perished. Health and safety were minor issues until that fatal Apollo fire and even then people delivered the results.

Then something happened, I am not sure what but it must have been around 1970. NASA became a management career opportunity and a place engineering mostly went to die. That got us the end of Apollo, the losses of Challenger and Columbia and mostly the end of manned space activities short of the ISS. Unmanned missions were more low profile but greater successes, suggesting these were not infested by bad management.

But the rot extends far beyond military and space exploration. It is in the whole society. Infrastructure is rotten. Nothing happens. The decline continues and I am reminded by the later stages of Rome.

but their tech advanced the military industrial complex of US an SU very much

Booms were delivered on purpose at times. Fun fact: the sonic boom would take more than 1 minute to reach the ground by which time they were long gone.

Strong men are coming

Sadly weak men might realize this and reduce the earth to ash out of childish spite and jealousy.

Attached: 1541824292737.jpg (2109x1000, 285K)

>Operation Highjump

nigga, nazi Germany advanced material science and production in order to produce war goods more cheap and fast
the Fuselage presses America looted are still in service ffs

Outside of processing power and a few other stuff technological advancement is starting to stagnate.

It must really annoy the weak men to know they are being invaded and conqueres by Italians.

>Mach 4
That's a no, they were only allowed to fly Mach 3.3 if Intel temps were below 450C.
>Undetectable
Also no. It had a RCS of 1m squared
Enough to be easily seen on even Slav radar.
It's was more low observability than stealth.
The sr71 used attitude and speed as it's defense.

Attached: 1495844115672.jpg (700x369, 196K)

You know only reason these things didn't get shot down is because they stopped flying them over the SU? The MIG-25 was perfectly capable of shooting one down as where advanced AA systems.

Point still stands

>processing power
>technological advancement is starting to stagnate.
processing power is starting to stagnate, too
anyway, just look at china if you want to see new tech. they will not stop improving whatever thing they can copy from the US/Russia/europe ;)

>Be completely wrong
>Still thinking you have a valid point
Imagine being this dumb.

Jow Forums fag here/Aerospace worker.
The Mig25 foxbat was never capable of shooting down an SR71.
Infact, Soviet pilots we're instructed to not chase or engage sr71s under any circumstances.

The Foxbat was able to hit Mach 2.8 for about 2 minutes before the engines cought fire and the airframe was scrapped.
(Mainly because it was almost all made from stainless steel)
The sr71 and A12 were able to Cruise at Mach 3.0 for 24+hours at a time.
And one SR71 pilot hit Mach 3.8 for a few min to avoid a SAM.
The difference between the SR71 and the M25 is light-years.

what are you talking about? my point was that it is kind of strange we went from turboprop to planes like the sr-71 in such a short time and we haven't had any major upgrade since then (how much is it? 50 years?). yeah i've messed up about him being completely undetectable but that wasn't the point of my post.

>processing power is starting to stagnate
it started to stagnate 15 years ago

>It is in the whole society. Infrastructure is rotten. Nothing happens.
You mean no war happens
Growth is now in the Internet, not military technology or space (aka military tech in disguise)

Nice trips, but you are forgetting modern aircraft.
We now have fighters and heavy bombers capable of all aspect stealth man.
The f35s symptoms can detect and track targets from 1000s of miles away.
An f35A model detected and tracked a SpaceX launch from the other side of the US.
The f35 has cameras that can see and film shit from 500+ miles away with near perfect clarity.
Military technology is miles ahead of comsumer shit.

Where gotten like 100X the processing power in the past 15years man.
IDK what yer talking about

>Where gotten like 100X the processing power in the past 15years man.
from 2ghz to 4ghz isn't 100X, it's 2X

>this tool is made by blind people whom work at snap-on

it all makes sense this is an exotic product,

>All GHZ are equal.
Well that's the stupidity I expect from a Mongolian throat singing website.

you're the one who used a linear measurement to start with
but you're right, parallel processing only represents a limited subset of what you can do with true processing power, so saying processing power has increased 100X is a lie

I'll take armament stagnation over the likely possibility of radiation poisoning after LA gets nuked off the face of the earth.

>Bitches about using linear measurements
>Entire argument based on 2.0 vs 4.0ghz.
Yikes.

I was only pointing out his hypocrisy
It's really the only accurate way to measure it, because parallel processing only works for some problems

this but unironically

Attached: teslaantigrav.png (706x498, 18K)

>Alüminyum Disk
Woah... the power of turkish science

this better be some fucking grade A blind geniuses for 100 $

This plane is a meme. Could fly fast and high but that is it, it became obsolete when we started launching satelites because it was never meant to be a fighter or a bomber, only a scout plane. Not to mention how expensive it was, how it needed to be refueled after takeoff and all the other issues with it. And above all, no matter how fast a plane is, it is always easier to develop a faster missile than that plane.

>and I am reminded by the later stages of Rome.
Then you need to read a fucking book.

>time travel research center

Attached: 1529085558193.png (800x680, 206K)

Tech didn’t stagnate. It’s kept secret to the public, exactly like it was during the Cold War except when it could be used for propaganda.

>That's a no, they were only allowed to fly Mach 3.3 if Intel temps were below 450C.
I think this is still classified but Brian Shul went far in suggesting he went way past normal speed on the Libya run.

>The sr71 used attitude and speed as it's defense.
>attitude
BAZINGA!!
This calls for LA Speed Check: youtu.be/Lg73GKm7GgI

Blame Chinks

>Highjump
This one has interested me since I first read about it. Three Naval battle groups go to Antarctica in 1947. Their mission is classified as "top secret". Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal shares some strange information and is quickly put in a psychiatric hospital where he immediately "commits suicide". That's it, that's the story.

Obvious questions include Why did they go there and What exactly happened?

The SR71 is arguably the sexiest aircraft ever. Why did they destroy the tooling for it? Surely it would have been useful in some way.

It only seems like tech stagnated because instead of designing lots of individual purpose built planes for potential use, the military industrial complex lobbies our government for funding to design a bloated do everything plane that's grossly overbudget and overdue. meanwhile all the other tech is not nearly as visible.

>leaked fuel
It leaked fuel because the skin got so hot that the thermal expansion would seal the holes in flight instead of turning the aircraft into a firecracker

only because we allow them to. if all western countries had remained white ethnostates and hadn't outsourced their manufacturing to mongo slave labour camps then the chinks would still be living like it was the middle ages.

China developed because those white ethnostates wanted opium and coal

outsourcing labour doesn't conflict with your idea of an """ethnostate""", it's called trade

i never implied it did. it just makes it easier for them to steal trade secrets.

F35 has great avionics, but shit airframe, because it has to accommodate VTOL turbines, stealth, and naval equipment

>i never implied it did
yes you did, you said outsourcing manufacturing meant they were no longer ethnostates

no i didn't.

>The SR-71, while an engineering feat, leaked fuel
>citing a specific engineering decision as a negative
It leaked fuel because the skin was loose on the ground so that it would not crack on thermal expansion at mach 3+, where it was sealed tight.

>and relied more on brute force than anything.
How is that any different from a modern CPU handling 4k video?

The problem with the F-35 is it became everyman's fighter project. To the engineer's credit it's not a complete disaster.

The F-22 had a similar lengthy development time. But the problem there was that from day one it was supposed to be the absolute best fighter anyone had ever seen at a time of diminishing returns in fighter performance. To the engineer's credit they succeeded. The thing is a beast.

We should have built more F-22's, including carrier variants, and probably skipped the F-35. But that would have left us without a fighter to sell to allies. (F-22 is strictly export restricted. Not even the Jews can get one.)

The SR-71 had a singular purpose at a time when great gains could still be made. It would take more effort to get from mach 3 to mach 5 than it took them to get from mach 1 to mach 3.

>That's a no, they were only allowed to fly Mach 3.3 if Intel temps were below 450C.
It's confirmed that they hit Mach 3.5 in one mission over Libya.

>Also no. It had a RCS of 1m squared
That and the heat plume off the engines had its own radar return.

soviets would not develop something to counter a plane that cant do absolutely anything and cant even drop a bomb or fire a missile
wasting engineer time to build and design a major project with a minimal singular use that wont even go into series production
the sr71 had numerous faults as well and soviet spies had info that nothing was planned other than it being used to take a photograph

It's only the later stages of the Roman republic, now all we need is a Julius Caesar or even just a Lucius Cornelius sulla

I'd go on about how the F22 usurped the superior F23, but we all know it's being used in black ops.

This user covered the Mig-25 myth.

As for AA systems: the Soviets delivered their best to Vietnam, Libya, etc and they couldn't hit it. IF the SR-71 were to maintain course, speed, and altitude THEN a Soviet missile could intercept. The general defense was to increase speed and altitude and change direction, at which point the missile no longer had the fuel to close the target.

tl;dr - the Soviets couldn't have shot one down even if we had flown it over Moscow.

You show huge limitation in your understand of chip fabrication and function

>strong men
>as a brutish flipside to corrupt merchants
we need to try something new, you backwards looking cunts.

cool headcannon you got there
I bet those articles werent written by 13 yearold experts and american propagandist outlets
im a military historian and my dad works at the pentagon and you're wrong

>Forrestal shares some strange information and is quickly put in a psychiatric hospital
What did he say?

Correct, the "strong men" are as much the problem as the weak men. They both perpetuate the cycle, resetting it for the other to come to the front endlessly.

He's from Jow Forums. It's like a tradition to shit on slavs there.

I bet there are no less than two f-35 "its fixed now" threads at any one time

>my point was that it is kind of strange we went from turboprop to planes like the sr-71 in such a short time and we haven't had any major upgrade since then
This explanation here is clear enough. You can usually explain things by stupidity and greed rather than conspiracies.

>stupidity and greed
Yep, not always greed, but it's almost always stupidity or hubris.
>WW2
>Generals write off jets as a meme
>Suddenly 262's
>Visit England and see their comets
>Instantly realize we're really far behind.

Mental nigger, representing

You mean to say the Zoomers are this strong men? Probably their children lmao
>tfw the children of zoomers might be pinochet-tier far right cunts

The children of zoomers will find their parent's unironic fascism cringey.

Greed and stupidity explain the delay of the F-35, but they do not explain the rapid and singular technological advancement of the SR71.
>1911 first powered flight
>25 years later biplanes and wood construction still common
>28 years on top of that suddenly mach 3.5
>FIFTYFOUR years on top and we got what?
hmmmm really makes you think, doesn't it?

>Zoomers are this strong men?
of course
being redpilled and talking about jewish conspiracies and how much you hate women online is an obvious sign of strong men

>FIFTYFOUR years on top and we got what?
A fucking space station, robots on mars and a minefield of satellites.
There's a limit to the practicality of atmospheric flight. It either needs to be commercially sustainable or serve a purpose nothing else can. The Blackbird replaced the U2, and then satellites replaced the blackbird.

LOL, everything you brought up is 90's tech, but it's already 2020.
>pic related

Attached: 1545726611804.png (731x611, 876K)

Read beyond the first line kiddo. What do you want flying orbs that violate the laws of physics like muh UFO conspiracies?

>There's a limit to the practicality of atmospheric flight. It either needs to be commercially sustainable or serve a purpose nothing else can.
Truely a statement of a "man" with neither vision nor spirit. Otto Lilienthal, the Wright Brothers and Juri Gagarin look down from the heavens and weep.

>Apples and oranges

>mach 4
no sweetie.

Then why do we keep the u2 around. It's clearly better handled by drone or satellite

I would enjoy fully automated luxury communism while amerifats would be fucked over by porky, feels bad man.

sauce?