I just installed debian and l fucked up by not getting a desktop environment and now lm stuck with just standard system...

I just installed debian and l fucked up by not getting a desktop environment and now lm stuck with just standard system utilities.
Is there a way to get one from here or reinstall debian with a desktop environment? (which l don't want to do)

Attached: 1537306539917.png (416x457, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/WiFi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Debian is just a broken piece of shit for pretentious morons who have nothing better to do than fix stuff.

sudo apt-get install desktop enviroment

sudo apt install i3

>could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: permission denied)
>unable to lock the administrative directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

su root

>password

that part of the install process is called tasksel, you can run it after install too
or if you know what task you want install it directly
apt-get install task-xfce-desktop
task-kde-desktop
task-gnome-desktop
etc..

Fucking shit user go back to windows 10.

are you seriously saying you don't know your password when you just set it?

oops lm sorry now it says im in root what do l do now?

Attached: big_dog_act_like_it.png (577x577, 258K)

apt install gnome

>unable to locate package

that's gonna install a lot of shit, it better be gnome-core, it's more sane.
connect to the internet and so apt update before retard.

connect to the internet. uh nmtui is probably installed I think.

The installation part said that my network card can only use ESSID and ethernet do l need to get a new one?

It sounds like you need to install ilwifi or ubuntu to get your wireless card to work, maybe. Debian doesn't work with most wireless cards because the drivers are proprietary.

Im on a thinkpad so l can just swipe out the network chip with another one, right?

you are too brainlet to use Debian sorry bro.
You either connect to Ethernet and use nmtui to connect of it didn't automatically, or wpa_supplicant for wifi if you don't have network manager wifi.
nah I don't think that's it, he probably installed trough wifi already so it can work, he just has to learn his way trough the terminal
retard

well it depends on what wireless card you have, iwlwifi was just for my intel one. look here wiki.debian.org/WiFi
yeah sure, if you want to? an aetheros wifi card should work even with debian out of the box because the firmware is free.

>nah I don't think that's it, he probably installed trough wifi already so it can work, he just has to learn his way trough the terminal
I think one of the installs can install without the network. Although I guess your probably right now that I think about it. just use nmtui dude.

all bad advice. you should already have wifi connected. so you just have to clean the installation and reboot, copy and paste in the root terminal:
rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Don't actually do this.

Install network interface drivers
Install wpa_supplicant
????
It just works after 10 hours

you could have reinstalled debian by now

Bet you got that leet haxxor anonymoose feel when you saw the console and weird letters all over your screen and felt satisfied.

Listen up faggot, you have to use an iso with non free components. If you don't want that then make sure your Ethernet works. If you don't have Ethernet, then use your Android tethering. Also how the fuck could you miss that big ass page with INSTALL DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT?
use su then apt install xfce4

>no more replies
I just read today that hardware other than the hard drive is actually mounted to write on root. Now I feel bad for posting this

Attached: window_raphi.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

I can't use an aetheros wifi card?

Idk, most probably you can't because lot of firmware is missing in default iso. Just connect your mobile to wifi, then enable us tethering and connect to your laptop Tethering works, I've done it so many times.

literally
>su
>(password)
>apt update && apt install sudo (whatever fucking desktop environment you want here)
Its extremely fucking easy but you are just too retarded to google "how to install desktop environment debian" so you should just go back to your macbook or maybe kill yourself

Attached: 1524950961602.jpg (768x1024, 149K)

i3 is a window manager, not a desktop environment

>l fucked up by not getting a desktop environment
Sounds like you did everything right to me.

LmAo what's the fucking point of these little shits distros