Admit it, just like your battered mother, you always come back

Admit it, just like your battered mother, you always come back.

Attached: Ubuntu.png (200x200, 13K)

I admit it's comfy, but once you configure a minimal distro to your liking you become even more attached to that distro even more than a friendly-user one

Correct.
Back to CentOS that is.

Attached: logo-powered-by-centos.png (800x800, 228K)

I actually come back to fedora every time. It's a lot better and feels right. Ubuntu always felt off, like it's trying too much to be like windows. Fedora feels like it's trying to be a desktop version of a server OS, and that's exactly what I want

i like debian for old or non-x86 stuff but otherwise probably won't ever use anything but ubuntu/suse/redhat

I have Ubuntu at work. Every motherfucking update and it gives me a pls reboot xD dialogue. Meanwhile my personal machine at home has a Debian, nice and smooth. Why can't retards at Ubuntu fix that shit huh?

even Ubuntu LTS?
I didn't even gave ubuntu much a chance, a lot of people mock it when they say it is stable.
Running CentOS right now and oh, it's comfy as fuck. I like more Debian because it can be more minimal, but CentOS Is more stable.
I get to 350+MiB with gnome at idle, just crazy how much you can strip it.

Attached: Screenshot_from_20190113_131836.png (1600x900, 1.48M)

You still need to restart to apply the update though

Nope. I use Devuan. Before that I used Debian.

Not unless it's a kernel update or something. Usually it's as easy as killing the x server.

I can't even install updates with apt get nah I hate Ubuntu

Attached: 1546836784709.jpg (1080x1920, 232K)

Used it as my first distro and hated every minute of it. Am Arch user now and haven't looked back,

True. In the form of KDE Neon.

Ubuntu is my everyday OS, I love it. I've distrohopped between a handful of distros, but I have always come back to Ubuntu. It's comfy, simple, and just werks.

I keep giving it chances over and over again because I want to believe

pretty much this
it tries to be user-friendly but ends up just confusing ex-Windows users

These days, when I don't have the time to toy with system config all day long anymore, I can only use Arch. Anything else is too complicated and needs tons of configuration, while Arch just works™.

Nope, I'll be here tipping my Fedora.

I installed it when my PC shit the bed recently and it broke within 3 days. What a fucking joke. I unironically installed Gentoo afterwards and it wasn't bad at all. Seriously, fuck Ubuntu.

Just like your dad at the bath house, I keep coming on back.

Attached: 200px-Fedora_logo.svg.png (200x200, 9K)

Since they ditched unity and fired most of their desktop team the desktop experience has been pretty bad. Everything feels sluggish, slapped together to somehow work and it feels like one big mess. Hell, even switching applications lags on their frankengnome-made-to-look-like-unity piece of shit, not to mention shit like system monitor or calculator taking 30 seconds to launch because they are snaps, or the constant "Whoops! Something has crashed" even after a fresh install. I always used to defend Ubuntu, but this is just too much.

Werks on my machine. Don't really know what you mean since stock ubuntu is basically a bloated debian with gnome being developed mainly by red hat engineers, so it makes sense they would fire their desktop team. Lag you mention is most likely a particular problem with your graphic setup or whatever. Again ubuntu just werks on my machine.

inexperienced shitstain detected.

>posted from ubuntu

If by always come back you mean uninstall Ubuntu because it's a piece of shit, then yes. It seems every time I install it I find a new reason why I shouldn't have tried it again.

I have not used Ubuntu in 7 years.

I run Ubuntu on my servers, but it's shit for desktop.

What does this logo mean?

Chaos is the one true way.

haha no hunnybuns
first was suse then ubunnu then deeban then fedora then centos then back 2 suse this time the open kind 5/5 just werks

Wait it is actually a chaos symbol from some book.

nope, it was never my main distro either
my path was:
Linux Mint -> Arch Linux -> NixOS

That implies I ever left
Everything just werks™

>Babbies first linuggs
No. Not since I first started using linux about a decade ago

xubuntu's alright

Linux mint is the comfiest distro. Prove me wrong.

mint is pointless now that cinnamon was backported to debian, you're just involving more retards in your system for no benefit

Looks pretty comfy, do you install just gnome-shell without anything else to do that?

It's just a Windows-themed Linux distro

I always come back to Gentoo, unironically.

What is the best for babbys first Linux ?

Well I've used mint a few years ago to by pass a computer install but that's it

The most "educational" distro for me was CentOS when I was in your situation around a half year ago. Probably something like gentoo or lfs would be more educational if you want to go deeper.

ubuntu was horrible a decade ago
t.used all the major distros and some hipster ones too

I never once got a pls reboot xD wtf aare you talking about?

Unity was a piece of shit. It was laggy as fuck on every laptop I ever installed it on.

How long, though.
Tried it 8 years ago and had kernel panic after a few weeks.
Tried it 3 years ago and had horrible diagonal tearing, even on the desktop.
Server is OK, I guess, had it on my i5 750 for a few years and it's somewhat healthy.
But Desktop is a no go.

Yea Fedora was my first.
I kept going back to her for years but I think Im finally over that.
The last time I used Fedora was almost a year ago. I just can't tolerate GNOME anymore and you have to restart for a ton of updates now.

Relationship ended with Fedora. Now OpenSUSE is my best friend.

I dont always go back -
1997-2001 was on Redhat
2001 to 2005 Debian
2005 to 2007 ubuntu
2007 to 2011 linux mint
2011 to 2015 Crunchbang
2015 to 2018 Debian again
2018 to 2019 ubuntu but am just (since a couple of days ago) transferring to bunsen labs crunchbang plus plus
I have always felt crunchbang was the OS for me

Attached: bunsenlabs.png (1920x1080, 1.03M)

Literally this

Obvious troll post is obvious hahahahaha
open suse the operating system part owned by microsoft

I can't wait until Flatpak/AppImage gain more traction.

I'll install a stable base (next Debian stable or CentOS) and everything on top will be bleeding edge, it will be glorious. Until then I'll stick with Ubuntu.

>Flatpak/AppImage
Fatpaki/AppImage

GNOME is absolutely disgusting. Never again.

I have no idea what you're talking about and It can't be as bad as Canonical's relationship with Amazon.
And don't imply IBM/Redhat are some kind of saints either.

I like ubuntu mate, it seems to run just fine for what I need.

t.webdev come fight me faggots.

Flatpak is convenient, and even terrible developers are able to make reliable packages.

I've had plenty of AppImages not work because the dev forgot a lib, or it worked on one OS but didn't work on another. With Flatpak it just works.

microsoft and novell are in partnership. Microsoft claims that it has patents on some of the linux operating system and novell decided that it would be financially beneficial to help microsoft pursue that line. In effect the owners of suse are complicit in an attempt to put linux under microsoft ownership

If only there were maintainers for software. I wish developers just made a flatpak themselves so you can get them from a trusted source (actually that would be close to windows installers that are a much better system for desktop than all this dependency shit).

Thanks user.

>xubuntu
This what I'm using right now.

Many developers do offer their software as Flatpaks or AppImages, which is really cool, but there are still some larger applications like Firefox or Thunderbird that unfortunately don't, so the community has to step in.

Even so, IMO the quality of the Flatpaks on Flathub is superb and their review system is quite rigorous. Even their Steam Flatpak "just works" on multiple distributions, which is pretty awesome.

I just want to have some trusted source. So I can see who did that packing exactly.

Debian is pretty nice, but I still prefer Kubuntu.

Flatpak's packages, at least those that are on Flathub, are all public:

github.com/flathub

flatpaks apps work in a sandboxed way, don't they?

I always go back to debian.

Except flatpaks are the opposite of package managers. If you want windows, then just use windows, don't try and pollute the linux ecosystem.

Pretty much this. I got a new laptop a few weeks ago and decided to just install Ubuntu on it because "it just works", but an hour or so into trying to configure it how I wanted it and not getting far I realized it'd be better to just install Arch again.

I've seen something about Fedora Silverblue 30 being "default" workstation deployment. Maybe they are preparing something for that. Flatpak is made by RedHat employee, isn't it?

>Debian for retards

Attached: 1542173409062.jpg (381x550, 52K)

not anymore, i'm done. unity made it kinda unique but since they switched to gnome i switched to fedora. sure, you still can install unity, but it's abandonedware at this point.

Yes, it's built in. You can easily remove/add permissions, but the GUI tools are still lagging behind so you'll need to manually configure it in the terminal.

I like the GNU/Linux userspace but I'd have to be in denial if I were to say that userspace API stability wasn't a mess. It's designed with free and open source software in mind, i.e every distributions makes and compiles their own packages because each distribution ships different versions of libraries and they are mostly incompatible.

Flatpak works around this issue by providing stable runtimes that application developers can target. We wouldn't need Flatpak if every distributions would at least have a stable base that we developers can target. We had LSB (linux standard base), but it was too small in scope and unfortunately it failed because distro maintainers didn't care about it.

If you don't like Flatpak or AppImages, then don't use it, but also don't nag developers to make a package for distro X/Y and Z and package it yourself.

Yes, it's made by RedHat employees, but it isn't a RedHat project.

I never tried Fedora Silverblue, but from what little I've read, it has atomic updates. That means you have to restart your system after an update. I could be wrong though. It would make sense to combine that with Flatpak, seeing as you could then update your "daily programs" in Flatpak conveniently and only update the base system atomically.

>what is ubuntu minimal image
ubuntu has better package availability, retard

>what is ubuntu minimal image
Debian for retards, we just went over this.

yep, basically.
The first 3 ones the screenshots use are a must, and he forgot libinput, without libinput my keyboard and mouse is dead and I had to force shut down. Also your graphics driver for hw acceleration I think, in my case:
sudo yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg gnome-shell gnome-session-xsession gnome-terminal nautilus firefox $intel-driver $libinput-driver
then you either start it with startx or enabling/starting gdm.
And I'm done with it regarding the GUI.

Attached: centos_minimal_needs_editing.png (1233x833, 184K)

I have only used Ubuntu once for an hour and then I nuked the drive it was installed on and put Debian on it.

Crunchbang is better

daily driver distros - gentoo, arch, slackware
home server distro - centos
in terms of user-friendly comfy distros, solus is better than *ubuntu desu
i really want to enjoy fedora, but it's too unstable for my taste.

You can apply the updates later, you dingus.

sorry m8 but my favorite flavor of bloated with gnome shit and prone to dependency hell isn't ubuntu.

Attached: 48f.png (200x200, 72K)

Just linux things. It's just not a desktop OS. One day even the dumbest pengubabby will understand.

Ubuntu and Arch are the only distros I care to use anymore. I'm not saying they're necessarily better, it's what I'm used to. I did the distro hopping thing for a few years, and quickly got tired of adjusting to the various "personalities" of the other distros.

goddamn gnome is just so fucking ugly what the fuck like how can it always look just so bad

After kernel and I think systemd updates it shows a notification. Mind you, it's just a reminder: it doesn't force you to reboot. I think he's bitching that Debian maintains their kernels for as long as possible, whereas ubuntu non-lts updates them fairly frequently.

Mint with xfce

It's all the same shit, I don't know why you fuckers argue over it so much. You can get just about every distro to work however you please

why do borders make every shitty linux desktop better?

Attached: 1547439716826.png (1600x900, 1.64M)

Fedora took the old Red Hat project, it turned into fedora core and now is just Fedora Linux, it's the successor of Red Hat Linux. Enterprise Linux was a different focus.
kek, thanks for the laugh kdetard. It looks fine to me, probably the icons look out of place with that grey.
what do you mean it is the same image... wtf how did you do it?
>why it looks better
you did it on purpose and yet you ask? Looks like a texture, like you could touch the bar with your fingers, I guess that's why

you type like a boomer

what do you mean user? I'm totally 18yo

centos is best for gays and transvestites

Protip for OCD autistics: Ubuntu has several methods for minimal install including a very nice minimal installer where you can manually select packages.

I'm happy with Solus. There's no point in me going back to Ubuntu when I can solve most problems without the aid of other users and compile anything not in the repos with relative ease.

wtf I'm gay now

Ubuntu is great for checking hardware compatibility, new PC tech these days try to run off it out of the box. And if they need a driver the instructions usually assume you're on ubuntu

ubuntu is bloated shitstain, why would anyone use it in current year when there are so many better choises

upgrade*
only retards that use ubuntu would confuse updates with upgrades, wow
and they nearly never actually require a restart

I thank ubuntu for making linux more accessible (8.04-10.04) but for personal use manjaro has worked pretty well bar early teething problems

I'll admit that my retarded cousin can't trash it like he could windows. Thanks Loonix.

I don't mind it desu. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Like majaro a little more tho

fpbp