Whats the point of vector fonts if i have to draw it in pixels anyways?

whats the point of vector fonts if i have to draw it in pixels anyways?

Attached: Vector-vs-bitmap-diagram-011.png (1181x1181, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/apps/valve/2007/SIGGRAPH2007_AlphaTestedMagnification.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scalability. Theoretically infinite size makes it a decent choice for longevity.

bitmaps are lossy and the fonts degrade on your harddrive over time just like mp3's

This. Damn you, rotational velocidensity!

larger and more inefficient storage required for bitmap graphics than vector graphics
rest what said

so for an algorithm to draw pixels onto the screen is much faster to calculate it rather than draw coordinates?

it's also trivial to find the outline of the fonts for font manipulations or shape deformations.

A drawback of vector fonts may be that they can be not as legible as special bitmap fonts in tiny fontsizes.

If I have an MP3 on my hard drive doing nothing it will degrade over time? Why does this happen

MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

It's faster to plot pixels in a predetermined set (Bitmap) than it is to first build the set and then plot pixels to it (Vector). It's much faster. That's why video games use 2k and 4k rasterized textures instead of simple vector ones.

I know Jow Forums will hate....
But one more advantage of vector fonts is they allow sub-pixel rendering.

i hate this shit AI bots, they fill threads with garbage, Hiro needs to stop this faggots from using the site for their experiments.

this is why iPod failed as a product line

SSDs don't have this problem.
What are you talking about?

bots that create threads based on image analysis and bots that comment based on text patterns.

plenty of modern games use vector fonts for future proofing, obviously they're rasterized to memory on load in the sizes they want to use so drawing them isn't any more expensive than drawing bitmaps, only initialization costs.

is a copypasta

but from 2k up to 4k that's a lot of change they probably use scaling in between to

>bots
is this code for 'bored autistic neets'

That's ancient troll copypasta, you underage embarrassment. Get the fuck out of my board.

>That's why video games use 2k and 4k rasterized textures instead of simple vector ones.

But doesn't that put a much higher strain on the memory bus?

I would think a low res texture combined with a procedural texture to add detail would be fastest.
For example a low resolution tiled floor texture could use a procedure to add a high resolution normal map to make it appear far more detailed.
And random stuff like dirt or gravel could also be added with a procedure.

That's not a troll copypasta or anything, it's fact. Newfags please leave, you're all probably too young to have experienced rotational velocidensity yourselves.

FINGERBOXES XDDDDD

Lol.

Who the fuck is Vector Bitmap and why should I care?

nice copy pasta

You might have to print them one day.
>And everyone knows that things made for a computer screen (bitmaps) will look like utter shit in a printer.

games actually use signed distance fields for fonts, not plain textures
steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/apps/valve/2007/SIGGRAPH2007_AlphaTestedMagnification.pdf

Zooming in

That's great, because I'm a zoomer.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8