What's the difference between a kernel and an operating system?

What's the difference between a kernel and an operating system?

Attached: 0.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0
earthslab.com/computer-science/components-of-operating-system/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

one's on some corn, the other's inside your computer

>i could have typed my question verbatim into google and got an answer.

one has a shell

An operating system provides a userland- that is, an environment wherein managed applications are executed. These applications must not have direct access to hardware special function registers, nor do they ever have access to priveleged hardware modes- they speak to IO entirely through kernel system calls, as well as calls to operating system libraries and utilities.

one is something i dont understand and the other is something i really dont understand. hope that helps!

I GUESS I NEVER MISS, HUH?

yeah ooga booga and all that shit, right?
stop using your nerdy jargons and just give it to me straight
i don't know what an os and a kernel is and you expect me to understand what you just said?

imagine a fucking car. the kernel is the engine. it's basically the most expensive and important part, but it's basically useless on its own. imagine GNU being everything else, the chassis and stuff. in this case, you could swap the Linux engine for the Hurd engine using the same "everything else", because they're compatible, but that's a whole different story. FreeBSD, for example, is an complete OS, because it not only ships the kernel (the engine), but coreutils, bootloader, init system, and so on. Debian, for example, is also an operating system, while Linux is not (although we all call it Linux the OS anyway)

i still don't understand wtf
i'll just go back to solving math problems baka

then you probably don't need to know
what exactly do you want to know? the subject is kinda broad so we can only get so far with metaphors and explaining a bit of everything

Holy fuck! You're retarded. You could never program a compiler even if you really, really wanted to.

From what I gathered, the OS communicates with the kernel and the kernel with the hardware

I'm not sure who is rustling who anymore.

From what I know, An OS needs a kernel. The kernels job is to get software to talk to hardware.

youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0

>compiling a compiler

Attached: 90.jpg (4940x3740, 1.57M)

Car engine -> makes car move by making tires rotate
Kernel -> makes computer work by ___________
Can you fill that in? Would help me more.

nothing
t. linus torvalds

Attached: 1543455094387.jpg (322x283, 16K)

>Kernel -> makes computer work by
providing useful interfaces and a platform for applications to run on
it's hard to really explain what a kernel is or does to a non-programmer (and I can feel you're one of them), but a kernel solves a number of problems
1 - interfacing with real hardware is a pain. I'm talking about USB devices, hard drives, network. A drive, for example, can be SCSI, SATA, maybe a vendor has a quirk you need to patch, you need to read the partition table (and that can be BSD, MBR, GPT), the data you're trying to access is on a partition that can be ext4, btrfs, ntfs, and so on. that for reading a simple file. supporting all kinds of devices (and drivers for them) is way too much for every application to handle.
2 - stuff like pipes, ramfs, IO and process schedulers (for multitasking), networking/sockets, all that useful and complex stuff is also provided by the kernel

stop posting this cute boy

>I should have looked this up so that I could get an answer immediately from Google or any other big-name circle jerk search engine

Attached: 1547406568947.jpg (720x738, 70K)

this is the most homosexual picture i've ever seen in my entire life

One hits, the other misses. Guess which one.

The kernel is a part of an operating system.

I just searched for "parts of OS" and found this page:
earthslab.com/computer-science/components-of-operating-system/

Read the "kernel" part.

managing system resources

kernel is a program that utilizes physical parts of a computer in order to provide efficient work of other programs on top of it.
operating system is a buzzword to describe all programs that users need on their computer.
no one can ever agree on what operating system really is, but pretty much everyone agrees that kernel is an essential part of it.