Is there a shittier plug design?

Is there a shittier plug design?

Attached: uk-plug-socket.jpg (1358x905, 589K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This should be the world standard.

>Inb4 some imperial yank with their piece of shit

Attached: C2015-20WE.jpg (910x593, 55K)

Attached: 269.png (617x466, 222K)

>really solid
>safe as electricity isn't live until top plug is fully inserted

Seems good to me... Other plugs just feel flimsy

>built in breaker
absolutely based desu

I nearly got electrocuted by shoving a scissors into a socket when I was a child in my Euro country. I think it's nice.
That doesn't compensate for USA's third world tier voltage though.

Attached: Screenshot_20190115.jpg (1080x1676, 371K)

Look at the fucking size of that thing
May as well be plugging in an ac adapter

At least you don't have to worry about your wife's son shoving a fork in it.
Plus superior 240Volts.

Yes. The American ones.

>breaker
Fuses are not breakers, you imbecile.

Yes and no, the design is more rugged but more costly to fabricate, not necessarily much safer than US mains (lower voltage -> laxer tolerances), and the mandatory grounding + no exposed conductor is brilliant. Plus 240V lets them kettles rip. Tea so fast your head will spin.

Expat yank so I've used both. Electronics engineer so master race.

What a stupid thread.

Mate a breaker is a fuse you don't have to replace. Calm.

I've never understood the kettle meme. I've got an electric kettle on 120V and it boils water in about 2 minutes.

Moved to Ireland from the US a few years ago; I'm a huge fan of the UK plugs. Always used to have crap bent prongs, shitty sockets, these are great; they never fall out, all the cables exit 90 degrees from the wall, really fantastic.

I will not calm down, they are not the same things.

English kettles boil water in 30 seconds.

Australian plugs are the best

I mean, great? I'm not sure what the big deal about that is.

yeah for 250ml lmao

OP, you used the wrong image. I mean just look at it, it looks so sad even.

Attached: power_socket_us.jpg (1507x2282, 349K)

>120v
The absolute state

This

>switch on every outlet
>earth connects first
>if house flooded earth is on bottom as water rises
>all 15-30amp alternatives are interchangeable
>10amp into 15amp socket etc
>not huge like UK for no fucking reason
>lmao muh fuses!

How much water do you think 120v is boiling in 2 minutes? You can do the math, it's EZ. :^)

Basically everything else other than German and IEC309

yeah

>boiling less than the kettles minimum water level
>doesn't know about cyclic dynamic condensation

LOL

Based

My kettle has a minimum of 120ml

>be in EU
>don't take on Euro
>don't take on european power outlet

>leave EU
>omg wtf we love the EU we need it

That's two cups of tea right there.

Schuko über alles

Dane here, though I like our plugs, schuko is superior. I won't be surprised if we one day switched to them instead.

Why are those sockets upside down?

In Japan like 99.9% of those sockets don't even have the ground pin, or even a lug.
Might be closer to 99.999%

>being this butthurt that your country's plugs are garbage in comparison

>Starts arguments about advanced fuse technology aka breaker but refuses to accept that it's a breaker on the outlet from the beginning meaning his entire post about fuses was irrelevant and makes him look retarded

Chilled and ballpilled

Attached: 1546092359633.gif (240x266, 3.86M)

Breakers are NOT fuses.

Bruv, fuses aren't breakers, i studied electricity and I'm an electrician's apprentice.

Hes not wrong your nust a brainlet

Plenty. There's just a couple that are better.
Just be happy you have Schuko. If you have Schuko that is.
Bong plug is just too big and clunky and painful to step on.

eat shit faggots

Attached: 1547557852144419898159.jpg (2976x3968, 2.68M)

The only reason the british have switches on the outlets and fuses in the plugs is because of their ring circuits. After the war the british thought that they could save on copper by using less and thinner wires. They did this by wiring an entire house as a single circuit instead of having multiple circuits coming from a central breaker box. The problem with this is that an unbalanced load can cause a fire, hence all of the safety features they had to add afterwards, negating any savings from using a ring circuit in the first place. Literally no other country uses ring circuits.

Next look up mixer taps.

>i studied electricity
While you were out partying I was studying the spark

the brits are garbage at everything when you look into it but for some reason they think they're the best at engineering

it's because we are

we are

>They did this by wiring an entire house as a single circuit instead of having multiple circuits coming from a central breaker box
This hasn't been relevant for years, the vast majority of buildings built or updated since the seventies--which is most residential properties, and all business--use multiple circuits.
>Next look up mixer taps
Again, mixer taps got popular in the UK in the late 80s and throughout the 90s. Literally the only place you see separate taps now is at a pensioner who hasn't renovated for 30+ years.
>for some reason they think they're the best at engineering
Most of them don't think that, they realise the Germans and Polish are better, they just don't like to admit it until they've had at least 8 pints to drink. :^)

Germany plugs masterrace. I wish they had picked those in Belgium instead of the shitty France ones.

>we
>made the Titanic

french plugs > german plugs

50hz
lol

>electric kettle on 120V and it boils water in about 2 minutes
>English kettles boil water in 30 seconds
>I mean, great? I'm not sure what the big deal about that is
Meanwhile:
>processor A: benchmark done in 28.3s
>processor B: benchmark done in 29.8s
>BFAGS BTFO AND BANKRUPT CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH

>muh kettles

Kettles are awesome user. Even when they break, that's one more cord for your computers and monitors. It's pure win.

Attached: Pepe Limited Edition NO COPY.jpg (499x618, 124K)

It is legitimately and undeniable a mechanical component that operates as a reusable fuse. you're a fucking idiot.

Literally the same with the exception of having it reversible, because there's two groundings. Which makes the German ones superior.

The point is that a breaker is more than just a fuse. Breakers have the added trait that they are reusable. A fuse can break and then you'd have to get a new fuse. Fuses are not breakers since they do not share this trait that differentiate breakers from fuses.

Checked but not Heil'd.

My point is that he never said it was a fuse to begin with. It was very clearly stated breaker built into the outlet, and then some autist comes in spewing shit about fuses not being breakers.

Which they are. Except one is reusable.

>if house flooded earth is on bottom as water rises
2012 was 6 years ago

The only two countries on this gay Earth that matter use very similar specs

Attached: 1533440357189.png (535x687, 379K)

Yeah literally every other plug design

Okay so one of those is the United States what's the other country then? Japan?

>implying the Titanic sank
It was a high states insurance fraud and you know it

Attached: original.jpg (1500x583, 289K)

>Is there a shittier plug design?
yes, this shit

Attached: bend.jpg (480x279, 15K)

Texas

Attached: 1520031543261.png (819x875, 216K)

Why the fuck is it made so one prong is bigger than the other?

Polarity, duh?

>literal shitholes of the world using 240, but US is "third world" for using 110.

Yep. Think about it, user.

Imagine being a voltlet.

but it's alternating current.

like, how does AC even work
like, negative voltage

woah

Yes. Basically everything that isn't shuttered schuko is worse than the UK plug.

why are you guys arguing about plugs
is this more important than consumer technology threads

Everything is better than consuner technology discussion, retard

Intel vs AMD
Thoughts?

Are you being sincere or just messing around. Voltage is the electrical equivalent of pressure. Positive or negative voltage is all relative to ground. Ground voltage defines what 0V is. Anything can be the ground voltage even a positive voltage source which would then make the "live" wire read negative voltage instead.

On AC there is a grounded neutral wire which reads 0V always. The live wire alternates between positive and negative voltages.

Switzerland has the best plugs. Everything else is shit tier.

is this propaganda

Done already ITT:

No, it's alternating current.

i carry my own batteries
i don't trust the national grid or "smart" meters

>Which makes the German ones superior.
Actually it makes it inferior. Because Germans think they're so clever making their plug reversible, all electrical devices need to work both ways, so fuck you for that

There's still a live wire and a neutral wire

And as a result (nearly) all devices in Germany support reversible plugs.

On lamps that use Edison screw bases they always hook the neutral to the threaded part so you wont be shocked if you accidentally touch the threaded part while screwing a bulb in. Some devices are polarized because there are fuses and other devices on the live side.

Which is a solution to a problem that only exists because of bad design

Imagine using anything less than 60 Hz
Yikes

topzozzle'd

How is reversible plugs a downside to the average joe? You can do better cable management, put it in without a care, etc. there are basically endless positives.

>not 144Hz
cringe

Making electrical design more complicated makes everything more costly

oh no. my device costs €5,50 now instead of €5,00.

Yes: anything without shuttered live contacts, with exposed pins or either unearthed or doesn't connect earth-first. Inline flexes are also inferior because they allow users to unplug by yanking on the flex and thereby damaging the terminations in the plug.

What's wrong with the existing world standard? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1

You need to be more specific. The socket in the OP is used in a number of EU countries and would have protected you in such an endeavour.

The EU has never promoted the harmonisation of domestic electrical plugs and sockets.

The original standard prohibited the use of switches at the socket. Try again.

What was wrong with the Titanic, by the standards of the time?

>cost the economy potential millions if not billions over the year
>oh well it's more practical when I plug things in :^)
You're a complete moron

You’d think that until the inrush current causes plastic to explode and spew hot plasma vapor in your face

>livelihood is better as a whole
>the economy booms

I have designed electrical protective systems for commercial and industrial buildings.

Fuses are not circuit breakers. They serve different purposes in protective schemes. There are things that circuit breakers can do that fuses can't (reset, adjustable trip, electronic coordination) and things that fuses can do that breakers can't (fail safe, current limitation).

Nobody that works with electrical systems would ever suggest they're the same thing.

In an AC system, the live side of the circuit is where you put your off switch. If your device can be connected either way, the placement of the off switch becomes arbitrary and in the event of faults, the off switch, fuse, or breaker may fail to fix the problem.

So yeah, actually, having reversible plugs on AC systems is really dumb.