/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: uwu.jpg (600x720, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3868927/trouble-booting-installing-psu.html
amazon.com/MSI-GF63-8RD-066-i7-8750H-2400MHz/dp/B07FYTH3WW
notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF63-8RC-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.340606.0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ecCA0gx_eZk
github.com/zeffy/wufuc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I was sent a link in a pm. Stupidly enough I clicked the link and it led me to a shady website. Is there any way that the person that sent me the link could know my exact location, besides my public ip address?

What's a good way to just open Youtube videos on mpv quickly on Windows? Something like Streamlink Twitch GUI on Windows or Newpipe on Android. Haven't found any decent Youtube frontends to date.

what does Jow Forums use: bash, zsh or fish?

yes and he's coming to your house right now

zsh!

How many hard drive errors are too many?? pic related, its the from the unraid I've been tasked with setting up. I have plenty of other hard drives to use but would still like your input

Attached: unraid.png (514x269, 17K)

>reallocated sectors
>uncorrectable errors
>uncorrectable sector
It is beyond dead and you're lucky it even lets you pull smart data from it

No problem, gotta swap two drives and rebuild parity now. Thanks user

I know this is a gpu supporter but what if i only want the circled one?

some kind of metal adjustable screw plate?

Attached: Untitled.png (689x518, 558K)

Recommend me some retarded useless gimmick to buy.

Something like a Yubikey 5 NFC

How do I get rid of cached files in the search index? I was experimenting with the indexing options a while ago just to test things out, I have since then moved the photos from where they were before but they all still show up in this broken format when I search for them.

Now I don't wanna see photos at all in the index so don't worry, it's not a matter of updating the location it grabs from, it's a matter of getting rid of these broken ones that no longer exist in that location.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (780x657, 63K)

I have been fixing computers for a while with the most basic equipment and im upgrading for better equipment this month because my budget allows me to this year so here is what i have, anything im missing?

Precision screwdriver set, shit sucks, upgrading to a better one mainly for pentalobe bits.
60W iron, upgrading to a 936 chink clone soldering station.
Literally a 1000W hair dryer, upgrading to a 1800W heatgun.
$1 flux.
$4 Canned air, upgrading to a Datavac.
MX-4 paste, downgrading to MX-2 paste because i get the double for the same price.
Isopropyl alcohol.
Brush.
Pliers.

Stuff i have planned to buy i currently dont have:
NLGI-2 grease.
Brass wire to replace the sponge i have been using.
Gloves.
Toolsbag and a toolbox.
A proper workbench.
A Extech multimeter to replace my $3 multimeter.
SATA to USB adapter and enclosure.
a $75 USB microscope.
USB voltage meter.
Kill-A-Watt.
LED lights for the workbench.

Anything else i must have im missing?

Any AUS fags ? Im moving(getting kicked) out of my parents home and need a mobile + internet plan, I have no fucking clue on how to see/compare plans that specificly have mobile(no data) + home internet. I have NBN if that matters
Im CCNA so i know all the terminology

Attached: 1542656459269.gif (707x508, 1.36M)

Help me out here /sqt/

looking for a decent laptop around 700-1000 EUR

preferably not a ricey looking red LEDs outta the ass looking Megatron but still want something that may run some games at least decently.

Need it for work so also something not too bulky

Cheers madlads

>reddit spacing
>gaming

Imagine using the hair dryer method to “fix” computers, once silicon is done it’s done; it might start working for a month or so but it will last less each time and it’s overall not worth it

English is low resolution crap. "S. English [eng]" is proper resolution but it won't auto-play. How do i swap them? I want to auto play high res subs. Im using ISR because XySubFilter only have low res subs.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1194x780, 232K)

Its not, but people usually reply with something stupid when you tell them is not worth it, they refuse to understand they have to replace their computer.
So reflowing keeps them happy, they return later and buy a used laptop with a cheap SSD and they are happy.

People are stubborn as hell, and casually most of my jobs are people with HP or dell AMD laptops so it happens often, we are talking about 5-8 times a week.

Also its not to fix silicon but shitty solder.
Man HP and apple sure love to use non-leaded solder, its like a wet dream for companies that focus in planned obsolescence.

i want to become a database architect. what do?

I have this Python script I use to generate a statusbar for Lemonbar. I want to rewrite it soon in something other than Python, what would Jow Forums recommend?

I was thinking these days about cloud services. That's nothing new. FTP does just that. So instead of recreating everything from scratch I could just integrate it with LibreOffice and the desktop environment or Explorer. Have anyone thought of it before?

Please help!
I have the following problem:
I cannot boot without having to reset CMOS every time
Once I get to boot into my OS, there's literally no problem at all. Everything works as it should
However, when I decide to restart, I enter a boot loop that doesn't even reach the POST screen and thus, I have to reset CMOS again
Nothing wrong with:
>CMOS battery(changed it recently)
>PSU

What could be wrong and how do I solve it? If it's bad BIOS flash, then how do I even enter it when I cannot reboot without having to clear CMOS?

For full story, see here:
tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3868927/trouble-booting-installing-psu.html

But none of these cunts have decided to answer my question

Attached: 1542023940936.jpg (858x981, 120K)

So, like, I was told to make a report as if I was selling my software? I built something, written 5 pages about it, pretty clear and straight to the point, but I need to make it 15 pages long and make it as if I was selling it to someone. Is there a name for reports about software you're selling?

How do I know what area of IT I like enough to get a job in?

Does having a 144hz refresh rate matter if you can't hit 144fps?

I feel like I might be misinterpreting refresh rate and it's relation to FPS cause I noticed on even a 2080 you're not hitting 144 in most games maxed out, even at 1080p let alone 1440p.

Help me understand if I'm wrong.

Why would running a TV as a PC monitor be something negative? I'm looking to get a 32" monitor but they're rather expensive as they all seem to be 4k and a 32" 4k TV would be much cheaper. It will be used for browsing, PS4 gaming and an occasional movie or two. I of course understand that it will be limited to a 60Hz refresh rate and have a certain amount of input lag as all TV's have, but are there any other drawbacks? The only thing I can think of is that it would lack Displayport.

The answer often just seems to be "because reasons".

Attached: serveimage(12).jpg (892x684, 165K)

how do i add a shortcut to all users' desktops but allow them to delete it an shiet
users/public/desktop adds it to the desktop but non admins cant delete/modify it
just place a normal shortcut on all the users' desktops individually?

yes
desktop feels alot smoother
even with 60fps you'll get lower latency than on a 60hz display unless it has freesync/goysync
vsync sucks dont use it ever
>playing games maxed

I have a 2080, will having g-sync on at 144hz be a bad thing?

Is "needing" to get a computer upgrade a myth, besides for gaming? I have a Chromebook that has 2007-tier specs and a desktop from 2009 and both run like brand-new (the desktop can only watch 720p videos, though).

one of those usb rocket launchers or sniper rifles that shoot darts

refurbished workstation laptop
most of them come with a gfx card and they have good build quality

Yes.
The only worthy upgrade that has come out since 2009 are SSDs.
Outside that all old hardware is good enough for everything, except GPUs.

dunno if it still does but back in the day explorer could handle ftp transactions.
a quick google search tells me the optimal solution is to map the ftp as a network drive

prospectus?

anything dealing with people, like helpdesk. will make you hate tech and the whole human race. find something where you don't have to interact with customers

I'd just create a seperate partition and make it accessible to all users. windows public stuff is shite

TV's have less pixel density.

gotta travel for work so thinking of buying a Dell G7 15

anyone know anything about it? recommend?

>Work
>Gaming

Look into MSI or ASUS gaming laptops instead.

Avoid Dell, Alienware, Razer, Acer, and HP "gaming" laptops.

Just got myself a X240 installed Manjaro and everything is working except the Sound
>>e: [pulseaudio] pid.c: daemon already running.e:
>>[pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
running lseaudio just gets me that error

see

Which should I connect to my CPU Fan? The connector from the Noctua NH-12S, or the one on my PWM?

Attached: 1487962435983.jpg (400x400, 45K)

You are supposed to connect your heatsink in CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT.

it just looked the least like a gaming laptop, any of the ones u mention have subtle appearances?

Depends, budget?
Because if you are going for "business" looking just get a used W series Thinkpad or a new P52 Thinkpad.

Example of what i consider a subtle design:
amazon.com/MSI-GF63-8RD-066-i7-8750H-2400MHz/dp/B07FYTH3WW
notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF63-8RC-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.340606.0.html

is combining 4 hard drives using JBOD any less reliable than keeping the hard drives independent?

I am upgrading my old computer. I currently have a 1tb hdd and a 128gb ssd as a boot. I am thinking about replacing both with a samsung 2tb 970 evo m.2 as my only drive. Is this a bad idea? I dont use very much storage in general so 2tb should be enough for me.

Buy a 2TB 860 EVO for cheaper instead.
Unless you do something that needs NVMe SSDs buy it.
Otherwise buy other stuff first.

If you are going to use it for OS and gaming use then a NVMe SSD wont be worth it.

Thanks!

Interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks

Aren't they identical if both are 32" 4k?

Here, to give you a idea of the difference between a NVMe and SATA SSD:
youtube.com/watch?v=ecCA0gx_eZk

NVMe is only useful for server, enterprise and editing use.

What does it mean that ryzen 2600 is not supported for windows 7? I'm currently using it; does it mean there's no drivers/it will work worse than on windows 10? Will some of the features not work?

That you cant complain about it, for example you wont be able to ask AMD to fix this little thing like you can for W10.
Its mostly for business and Enterprise situations.

Compatible != Supported.

Ah, so it should run mostly fine, but I might get some issues. What about drivers? I have a bit of a situation, where I went from Intel to AMD with the same installation, so now I had to reinstall some drivers. How can I check if everything installed correctly/I got rid of all intel drivers?

No problems for the drivers so far.
You should reinstall if you went from a Intel to an AMD build with the same install.
Anyway just uninstall Intel Chipset drivers and reinstall AMD ones and you will be good.

Yeah, I heard that I should, but I have tons of data, and no medium to carry it over. I heard that sysprep will work; should I do that, and will my data be safe?

Tell me about OP, why does he like young boys so much?

IIRC they finally released official drivers for 10, so that shouldn't be a problem. Check devices manager to see if anything showing up missing. You will need to do this

github.com/zeffy/wufuc

to get updates. Sysprep is usually effective, but I'd say it's overkill.

Alright, I'll try it out. Strongly considering sysprep, since somehow my reboot time, as in, the time for the PC to shut down, takes forever. Somewhere around 5minutes. This isn't normal I reckon. Where or how can I check what causes it?

msconfig

How highly do you rate teachyourselfcs's recommendations? Considering going through the Programming, Algorithms and Data Structures, Mathematics for Computer Science and Databases books specifically.

What should I be looking for in there?

Anything you don't want to run automatically when your computer starts. Checking "hide all microsoft" helps.

Nono, that's not what I meant. The power up is fine, but when it's on the power down, it takes quite a long while. Ironically shutting off takes longer than turning the PC on.

Well the same thing applies. You've probably got some software that takes a long time to close its shit. You could try killing certain processes in advance and see if that makes any difference.

what's the best way to start programming on java? need it for uni but didn't bother until now and i don't know where to start and how to start. pls help Jow Forums

look at opencourseware brotha

WHY THE FUCK DOES MY BRAND NEW HARD DRIVE SQEEK EVERY FEW MINUTES?

Best HDD for storage? I see a lot of stuff, but apparently they all have different uses like gaming or whatever. I just want something strictly for storage.

>nearly two weeks since i submitted an application for an online posting
after this point is there no hope of them contacting me?

what fans are suitable replacements for a 200R Corsair case and Hyper EVO 212 cooler? I think one of them is on its last legs

>he didnt buy an SSD

you blew it bruh. after two or three days if you hadn't heard from them then you should have initiated contact to see where you stood.

Corsair ML

Ill buy a 4tb ssd when they are sub $100, like this hdd

If I run sysrep, use OOBE and generalize, and then reboot, do I have to enter the product key again, or am I fine, so I just need to redownload the drivers?

WD Red.

>Money is not a problem
Noctua 120mm.
>Money is a problem
Any cheap 120mm fan, check arctic 5 pack.

>npctech
Just buy radiator grating, I use it in my case, and it works just fine

do i get a vpn if im going to be seeding anime?

>almost done with bachelor in computer engineering
>looking for jobs
>about 150 relevant jobs in my area
>feel like I would fail at every single one of them
>feel like I havn't learned anything the past 3 years
anybody else feel/felt like this?
i don't think i could be useful in any of those jobs
did i just waste 3 years?

>are 32" 4k?
You can only see full HD and 30 fps. there is no point in all this gimmicks.

You’ve had to have learned at least something. Think about your projects and what you can use from that.
But you kind of did fuck up in a way. During your semesters, you should have been looking at what jobs, online or at career fairs, what they actually want and now that your college career is ending, you’re barely finding out what they want.
t. incoming 3rd year junior

Say, is there a way to disable 4ChanX's thread auto updater, while retaining the Update button to do it manually?

Yes.
The update button will stay at the bottom of the page with 4chanX, just disable auto update in the top right corner.

depends on if it's licensed, I hear funimation is dicks about pirating

don't worry bruh, the main point of college is to get you to the point where you have a solid base and are competent enough at learning to quickly pick up the job

I might be getting blind..? I'm just not seeing the Update button anywhere :/ ..

Attached: untitled.png (1360x511, 37K)

best torrent site?

I've been out of the loop for a while

Attached: updater.png (378x298, 13K)

How do I Ruby on Rails?
I see changelogs and githubs but I don't even know where do you compile this thing.
It compiles, right?
Pls help I'm retarded

Why does the duckduckgo search plugin automatically make me use an /html redirect of it that's vastly inferior?
I'd use the ones from mycroft but they all have settings that are set in stone and can't be adjusted. Is there any way to just search the normal site itself when I type it in my address bar? If not, is there a better search engine to use? Included in the pic is a search with no way to adjust the colours, settings, privacy, anything, and it's the default bundled with everything.
Using icecat, in case it matters.

Attached: icecat_2019-01-15_20-44-36.png (1002x987, 47K)

I'm going to take Advanced Computer Systems for my next semester, which is basically embedded electronics, low level C etc. to make small projects in a LaFortuna machine. The thing is I've never done any electronics project or subject before. (I do have a completed year in CS and experience with programming).

How fucked am I?

Attached: 2c4a2261-9514-4205-9ccc-357958fd18b4.jpg (729x1296, 59K)

Ohh, okay, now that's better. Thank you user!

Should i worry about "seek error rate" on SMART attributes?
It started at 250 and now its over 270k
I cant get a definitive answer on what this actually means or what bad values are. It is not red in the SMART gui.

There's a delay of almost a second when I right click and hover over "New" in Windows. This happens on every single drive of mine, even the SSD ones.

What could this be?

Is using a 2.5 hard drive on a desktop pc any different from a 3.5? Assuming the drives have similar specs (say, both are 500gb, both run at 5400). I know the 2.5 would need some kind of adapter to properly secure it to the case, but other than that? Performance and life expectancy wise, would a desktop pc would benefit in any way from using one over the other?