/hsg/ Home Server General

Run a server in your home and enjoy the benefits. What're software you running user? For what purpose? What are you running it on? Talk of NAS, 10gb ethernet, backups, hosting, datahoarding and all things server related is welcome.

My setup top to bottom:
intel NUC i7 16GB ram 250gb SSD: Always on low-power stuff: sshd / openvpn / personal wiki

Old gaming rig: currently powered down - formerly ran some game servers, now all migrated to HPE box

HPE box: 2x E5-2690s, 80GB of ecc ram: run a variety of gaming servers. Ark, DnL, CS:GO, TF2, modded Minecraft for friends and family.

24 bay Supermicro: 2x E5-2640s 32GB of ecc ram - ZFS for linux with 40TB of usable. Runs Plex for half dozen friends/family, crash plan for backup (~6T backed up), and a couple small VMs.

Thinking about virtualizing pfsense on the HPE box and playing with vlans, but don't have a compelling reason to do so. Might make management of the gaming servers port forwarding a little easier?

Attached: datrack.png (450x1082, 901K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/hardware
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder that buying used noisy corporate shit is beyond retarded. There is a reason those companies are shedding that trash like it has the plague.

I use an Odroid XU4 for:
>Samba server for backups/media/stuff
>UPNP for sharing multimedia
>OpenVPN
>Torrents
>Nextcloud

Attached: xu4-%EB%B3%B4%EB%93%9C-2.jpg (498x375, 158K)

Any compliled documents about the hardware for this stuff? I know a decent bit about the software but hardware has never been my strong suit.

Nice user - what do you do for storage? USB external drive?

If you can suffer through reddit, reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/hardware is a great starting point. Best way is to learn from doing, but to save yourself the cash of a bad buildout, post it here for others to r8. Great starter is Dell R710 or R720 (depending on budget - 720 is faster as it has Sandybridge procs and much more power efficient).

Its not noisey. I have mine in my workshop and can't hear it in any other room in the house, even in the bedroom above. I can hear a faint hum when I'm in the workshop near it, but who cares.

>what do you do for storage?
Yeah it's a USB 3.0 dock with 2 disks.

6600k, 32gb ram, 8x 400gb "hp" SSD, 8tb in hdd, hyperv server

i run: 1vm deb with containers for: vpn, reverse proxy, pihole, torrent stuff(client, rss, etc), plex, nextcloud and other self hosted stuff for media
1vm ubnt serv with containers for dashboards like grafana & shit, speedtest, server monitoring, etc
1 vm win 10 for tests, dubious stuff
1 vm server 2016 for ad, dns
1 vm for dev stuff
1 vm pfsense (some vlans and crap)
1 vm opensuse for work
and a lot of other crap like storage, management, inventory, mail, portainer, on other vm

1 backup server just hdds 8gb ram, 6400k (starts at night, does the backup and shuts down because... electricity is expensive)

also love me some containers.

i have all my shit running in vms on my ivy i7 gentoo desktop
pfsense with a intel dual nic
centos running nginx, ssh/sftp, local backup with a passed trough hdd
also a win8.1 vm with a gpu and a sound card for optical output
works pretty good desu

Attached: ba1d89d1.jpg (1129x1594, 166K)

old gaming tower
8gb ram
ubuntu 18.04 lts
running plex, thinking about putting next cloud on but no sure, any suggestiosn?

Is that pfsense for your entire network? Or just to cordon off your VMs? What hypervisor you using on gentoo that supports all that passthru (hdd and gpu)?

Sounds like a comfy setup user.

Unraid with Windows10 gayyming VM in a 4U chassis with space for 15 HDD's.
Work in progress.
Waiting for 2x Noctua NF-A12, the Arctic F12's in the front are too loud.

Attached: IMG_20190110_204450731.jpg (4032x3024, 3.17M)

>rackmounted his gaming machine
I'm glad to know someone other than me was nuts enough to do this

I have no Rack, I built a box for it and wrapped speaker carpet around it. It will be below my desk and looks like an woofer.
Gonna buy an rack when I have the space and can put it out of sight.

the pfsense is for my home network, got a fibre modem on the wan and a switch with rest of my stuff on the lan.
running qemu/kvm for hypervisor, i have the hdd passed trough by just giving the vm my mobos second sata controller

Attached: 1546652046131.jpg (1083x1063, 135K)

I was thinking of doing that with my old gaming rig. What're you doing for the 15 HDDs? Backplane?

Looks like he doesn't have any hot-swap anything or backplane. I have a Rosewill 15-bay 4U case like that.

I've been put off buying cheap DIY rack cases with hot-swap bays because the Norco stuff always seems to have cautions in the reviews from people who had the backplane die or go flaky on them. Apparently if you want hot swap you can count on you get to spend significantly more money on Supermicro or something.

3x pic related
2 came with the 4U case and bought one seperate and mounted it in the middle slot.
1 NF-A12 in front of every cage so I could ditch the fan wall which was an pain to remove/mount.
Just remember to mark every cable with the ID of each HDD.
And if anyone asks, no, Im not using a molex to 5xsata like in the picture.
Case is an Inter-Tech 4U 4129-N

Attached: 0104e113-ee0c-4cdc-8640-e170870a2829.jpg (1200x1200, 208K)

I was thinking about using 3x ICY Dock fatcage (3x5.25 to 5x3.5) hot swap.
Found no info on how to connect the hdd failure led to my MB (msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon)
Or if theres an expansion card or something. And if I couldnt get the hdd status leds to work I deemed it not worth the money.
If disk failure is such an pain, use the money to buy better disks.
Also,Norco is as you say, not very reliable for backplates. My case is an rebranded Norco for EU/German market.

Can you take the backplanes out of those cases and just hard-wire the drives? I don't really need hot-swap but fitting more drives in a 4U case would be nice.

what keyboard?

Running normie Unraid.
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe only has 3x5.25 bays so I made more with a dremel.
do not use dremel plz it sucks.
>2x2670 Xeons
>64gb DDR3 ECC
>Supermicro workstation mobo
>Asus 10gbe
>7x mixed HDDs, 19TB
>480GB cache, only for Docker and incomplete dir
>Plex, Sabnzbd, Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr (its shit dont bother), Transmission, Samba
>VPN to external server to get remote access/plex
>Skull to make sure it wont crash on me.

Attached: heater.jpg (1142x1527, 202K)

No Idea? Why dont you just use sata cables? Why is an backplane so important?
You can hotswap with sata cables too if you enabpe it in bios

What drive would you recommend for a small server just running plex? I was thinking either q 4TB WD Black or WD Red Pro.

Well the no-hotswap cases usually max out at 15 drives. But you can get a case with 16, 20, or I believe 24 hot-swap bays, albeit of questionable reliability, for not too much more. And if you don't need the hot-swap capability, it'd be nice to just take out the backplane and use the hot-swap trays as just fancy drive rails.

Currently using a cheap NUC as a home server.

Mainly hosting wiki, gogs, vpn. Plan on building a more powerful server in the future.

Attached: server-info.png (781x442, 67K)

If i Would do that, I would just 3D-print something that fits into the case while not being to much of an airflow blocker and use sata cables.
Or just buy an second case and a full size rack.