OOP vs Functional Programming

Hello Jow Forums how are you today?

My question for today is this, I am taking C++

I am wondering if I should finish C++ and then learn functional programming. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to learn functional programming. Also is C++ worth learning in 2019?

Attached: 4chan.png (300x311, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

differencebetween.com/difference-between-oop-and-vs-pop/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>finish C++
oh sweaty summer child

Sorry finish the course I'm taking*******

yes, fp is a bad meme

Finish your course first because learning FP will make you temporarily hate OO. I recommend Haskell.

For employment, you are better off learning C# or Java than C++. Plain C is ok for some things still.

Use both and stop that jewish "us vs them" autism

Where should I go after finishing these sections?

Structure of a C++ Program
Variables and Constants
Arrays and Vectors
Statements and Operators
Controlling Program Flow
Characters and Strings
Functions
Pointers and References
OOP - Classes and Objects
Operator Overloading
Inheritance
Polymorphism
Smart Pointers
Exception Handling
I/O and Streams
Standard Template Library

I took Java in college, I wanted to learn more about memory management. Are you suggesting that C++ is a waste of time compared to C and C# at this point?

Build a project.

Finish your course.

The best way to learn any language is to start a project and finish it. Pick a project that solves a real world problem which also needs a GUI and start working on it.

>learning FP will make you temporarily hate OO
So true. Though I have started to appreciate data-driven / component based design while working with imperative languages a lot more after learning FP.

Yes thank you very much

Attached: arigato.jpg (975x1300, 70K)

Definitely learn C++, don't listen to the people that say learn Haskell, it's a meme created by the academic community. It has almost no real world use. Learn Elixir. It has all the benefits of Erlang, but is easier to use. It compiles down to the same shit and Erlang code and libraries are fully compatible.

Fuckin new guy here. Can anyone explain the difference between OOP and POP? How many echelons of experience am I away from even grasping it? I just got k&r and started the VTC course I found on YouTube.

Attached: 1546799519228.jpg (600x788, 87K)

Learning basics of C++ is never a waste of time. It's a good starting point to better understand both oop and memory management.
In practice you are more likely to find a job in C#, but it is very easy to switch from C++ to C#.

Yes sir captain :3

Alright I will look into your information thank you ^_^

I don't see any comprehensive data structures and algorithms in there. Taking it is critical.

Why do functional programming and OOP have to be mutually exclusive anyway? Can anyone clarify why they can't be combined?

They aren't. Only functional programming purists and literal freshmen think they are. All modern languages are multiparadigm and allow you to use plenty of features from both OOP and functional programming.

Ok. Do you mean that FP can have features of OOP and still be pure FP? Or do you mean just that OOP can be combined with FP in modern languages, but it won't be "pure FP"?

>Do you mean that FP can have features of OOP and still be pure FP
Depends on who you ask. I'd say yes, but this triggers the Haskell autists (because they incorrectly assume that OOP means mutating state).

>Or do you mean just that OOP can be combined with FP in modern languages, but it won't be "pure FP"?
That's what I originally meant, yeah.

Are you going to do it more than once? OOP
if its one time use why bother making a factory for the purpose

im doing a unit with covers c and "unix programming" sem 1 and a unit on java sem 2. is oop really that bad?

here fag, it took me .75 seconds to find a top result with your answer.
differencebetween.com/difference-between-oop-and-vs-pop/

niether, use concatenative programming

Attached: giphy.gif (300x300, 120K)

How does Elixir compare to Clojure?